The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

1 minute ago, janrichmond said:

That looks fucking delicious @Gracii Guns where did you get the recipe?

Thank you! It’s mostly Delia’s https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/meals-and-courses/afternoon-tea/maple-and-caramelised-pecan-cake

The changes I made were swapping the mascarpone topping for buttercream, and when caramelising the pecans, put the oven at 190* for eight minutes. 200* for 10 minutes burned my nuts! 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Poutine with beef strips, smoked gorgonzola and scallions

aZcbgONl.jpg

1E2bD1tl.jpg

I marinated top stirloin roast in garlic, grated ginger, powdered celery seed, worchstershire, soy sauce and vinegar for a day. Slow cooked on lowest setting. Rested it. Just frozen oven fries. I replaced traditional cheese curds with smoked blue cheese. Diced scallion. Store bought chicken gravy.

Its all about layering with poutine. Half the fries down, half the beef, have the scallions, 1/4 of the cheese so it doesn't all melt, ladle over a majority of the gravy. Repeat for second layer with more cheese and less gravy.

Eat it from the bottom up. Everything should be drenched in gravy when it meets your lips.

This was the best poutine I've ever had. Please don't mention that to any Separatists! Lol

Edited by soon

• 1 month later...

I'm fixing to eat all the chicken! Haven't cooked much lately because I don't want my new gf to know I can cook! :lol: It's a tip I got from a stand up comedian after he did a set about not letting your spouse know if you're good at massages. Don't judge!:smiley-confused2::lol:

X9LXcqll.jpg

I placed each leg over a bed of chopped ginger and garlic in a pyrex bake tray. The top two were coated with a blend of olive oil and basil infused oil. And rubbed with my freshly powdered blend of dried sage leaf, celery seed, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne and smoked paprika. Bottom one was coated in a store bought 'chicken and ribs' bbq sauce and also my herb and spice blend.

At 400 in a preheated oven for 30 minutes until internal temp, right at the bones, is 165.

The perfuming of the ginger really put this over the top!! Good to be back in the saddle:headbang:

Plated the BBQ over a puree of spinach, mushrooms and turmeric.

6ObUqDOl.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

You Gonna Eat Brie Like It's Your Birthday: Chicken Sandwich with Blueberry-Ginger-Balsamic-Double-Cream-Brie, on Croissant.

Glaze: Place frozen blueberries, sliced ginger, dried oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper, in small saucepan and cover with water. Add balsamic to taste (will thicken). Stir. Bring to boil. Simmer. Use potato masher to crush blueberries once soft. Reduce to a syrup.

Chicken: Add butter and sliced ginger to pan. Place strips of chicken breast in hot pan, on medium.  Season to taste (I used a powder of celery seed, dried garlic, dried marjoram, smoked paprika, black pepper). Cook till browned on both sides. Mix a few splashes of brown rice vinegar with water and de-glaze. Cover with lid or tinfoil and let cook/steam until brought to temp (165). Remove and let rest.

Brie: Just before chicken is done, cut top rind off of brie. Place in baking vessel with exposed side up. Strain glaze on top, coating evenly. Add black pepper and salt. Bake in preheated oven at 350, covered, for 8 mins. Remove lid and cook 5-6 mins.

Cut open croissant. Spread brie and glaze mix on both sides. Cube chicken on an angle. Fill up sandwich liberally. Season with salt and pepper. Close. Cut in half. Eat.

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, soon said:

You Gonna Eat Brie Like It's Your Birthday: Chicken Sandwich with Blueberry-Ginger-Balsamic-Double-Cream-Brie, on Croissant.

Glaze: Place frozen blueberries, sliced garlic, dried oregano, cayenne, salt and pepper, in small saucepan and cover with water. Add balsamic to taste (will thicken). Stir. Bring to boil. Simmer. Use potato masher to crush blueberries once soft. Reduce to a syrup.

Chicken: Add butter and sliced ginger to pan. Place strips of chicken breast in hot pan, on medium.  Season to taste (I used a powder of celery seed, dried garlic, dried marjoram, smoked paprika, black pepper). Cook till browned on both sides. Mix a few splashes of brown rice vinegar with water and de-glaze. Cover with lid or tinfoil and let cook/steam until brought to temp (165). Remove and let rest.

Brie: Just before chicken is done, cut top rind off of brie. Place in baking vessel with exposed side up. Strain glaze on top, coating evenly. Add black pepper and salt. Bake in preheated oven at 350, covered, for 8 mins. Remove lid and cook 5-6 mins.

Cut open croissant. Spread brie and glaze mix on both sides. Cube chicken on an angle. Fill up sandwich liberally. Season with salt and pepper. Close. Cut in half. Eat.

I have never managed to enjoy Brie since that scene in The Office where Gervais is going on about his testicles to Dawn.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have never managed to enjoy Brie since that scene in The Office where Gervais is going on about his testicles to Dawn.

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The power of good art, it'll put you off your brie :lol: 

Said the actress to the Bishop / That's what she said :lol:

PERFECT RICE PILAF

BY NATALIE DICKS

This perfect rice pilaf is easy to make and turns out perfect every time! It’s so simple and flavorful, you’ll crave it at least once a week!

INGREDIENTS:

2⅔ c. low-sodium chicken broth

⅓ c. unsalted butter

1 tsp. kosher sea salt

½ tsp. garlic powder

¼ tsp. ground black pepper

⅛ tsp. paprika

pinch onion powder

2 tbsp. olive oil

⅓ c. vermicelli or orzo

1 c. long-grain white rice

1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

DIRECTIONS:

In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, add the chicken broth, butter, salt, garlic powder, pepper, paprika, and onion powder. Once the mixture starts to simmer, reduce to low heat.

In a large skillet set over medium-low heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the vermicelli and cook until brown, about 4-6 minutes. Add the rice and cook until it turns bright white, about 5-7 minutes.

Pour the warm broth mixture into the skillet, stir to combine. Once the mixture simmers, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove the cover, add the parsley, cover and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until all of the broth is absorbed. Serve immediately.

-You can also microwave the chicken broth mixture in a microwave-safe bowl for 2 minutes on high right before pouring it into the rice.
-You can cut back the butter to 3 tbsp. without it becoming sticky.

Perfect-Rice-Pilaf-2.jpg

https://lifemadesimplebakes.com/2017/01/perfect-rice-pilaf/

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 1

Authentic Northumbrian Pan Haggerty

This is a sort of North East version of Gratin Dauphinois that has been passed down through my family, usually served in itself (with good quality bread), or as accompaniment to pork of some description, e.g., sausages, bacon or gammon. I personally like to have it vegetarian with lots of bread to dip into the stock. I always make a big quantity when I do this dish as it can feed an army and go two-three days. It is a real ''winter'' dish.

[Ingredients: chicken stock; large sprig of fresh thyme; 2.5 kg of large potatoes (basically a whole supermarket bag's worth); 4-6 large carrots; 2-3 large onions or one large leek; bunch of fresh parsley; vegetable or olive oil; mild English cheese, grated (e.g., Double Gloucester or Cheddar); black pepper.]

Prep
1/ Peel all the potatoes and slice each potato lengthways thrice, creating three (about 1cm) slices - place in water until ready for use.
2/ Peel carrots and chop in two width ways - this recipe is very rustic!
3/ Roughly dice onions/leek.

Method
1/ pre-heat oven at about 180.
2/ Saute with oil in frying pan/skillet, med-high heat, onions/leeks until starting to brown, then place onions into a large roasting tin or casserole dish. Place in the middle of this dish the Thyme. 
3/ Drain potatoes if applicable and evenly spread potatoes and carrots over the top of onions in casserole dish.
4/ Pour into dish the stock until it is about 1/3rd to a-half of the way up the layered potatoes - don't worry about covering them. Season with lots and lots of black pepper.
5/ Place dish in oven and cook for about 90 mins, giving it a good mix twice through this procedure (I use two large spoons, and lift potatoes from the bottom upwards so everything gets cooked for awhile in stock).
6/ Remove dish. Pre-head grill on high.
7/ Place roasting pan, minus lid, under grill for about five-ten minutes (just until the topmost potatoes are going brown).
8/ Remove pan. Sprinkle evenly onto potatoes loads of grated cheese; place dish back under grill for a further five minutes (until cheese is melting and potatoes are darkened further).
9/ Remove. Serve (make sure you spoon a bit of the stock over each plate of vegetables), sprinkling on lots of parsley.

Notes.
- If not serving with meat, it is common to make this dish with bacon incorporated. Simply sauté lots of bacon batons whilst frying onions and add (as with onions) in dish before roasting.
- Feel free to add either parsnip or turnip/swede; simply dice into chunks and do the same as the carrots/potatoes. Also, feel free to add greens, cabbage for instance, towards end (about 10-15 mins) of cooking time. I’d omit the Parsley if I was doing this.

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 1 month later...
18 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I can't wait for this episode to be released :lol:

@soon

Gordon. Fucking. Ramsay.

wKnnmgg.gif

The schadenfreude of a million scorned chefs and restauranteurs will be bearing down on Ramsay :lol:

I think he wont make it. Not easily at least. The Season 8 lineup isnt out yet, but I imagine it will just be even hotter! :rofl-lol:

On 1/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, soon said:

Gordon. Fucking. Ramsay.

wKnnmgg.gif

The schadenfreude of a million scorned chefs and restauranteurs will be bearing down on Ramsay :lol:

I think he wont make it. Not easily at least. The Season 8 lineup isnt out yet, but I imagine it will just be even hotter! :rofl-lol:

I imagine it'll go well until he gets to Da Bomb. Then it'll be nothing but cursing. :lol:

Actually, just saw the new line-up... there's carolina reaper sauces immediately before and after Da Bomb. Maybe he won't make it. :lol:

• Haha 1

Got snowed-in. I have everything I need to make lasagna!!:headbang:

0Nh88M2l.jpg

- Beef Bolognese with red primavera sauce, red onion, lots of crushed garlic, celery, mushroom, fresh parsley, dried oregano, thyme, basil, cayenne and paprika. Cooked down in liquid of (aforementioned tomato sauce), water, butter, worchstershire sauce and balsamic.

- Ricotta with nutmeg

- Spinach, mushroom, red onion, fresh basil puree 

- Noodles per your machines instruction. I like the simple/nontraditional noodles for lasagna (AP flour, salt, eggs, water)

Cook noodles in heavily salted boiling water for a few minutes. A few at a time. They dont stick like youd think they do so you can stack them to cool off. Let cool a second, flatten out and assemble.

I did mostly lasagna rolls. But stacked some too. Sauce up the dish with tomato sauce. Noodle base and noodle between each layer of beef, ricotta, spinach. Top with tomato sauce. Covered in pre heated oven at 350 about 10 mins. If adding cheese on top, add grated or shredded cheese and go uncovered 5 minutes. So, this is what I'll be eating till spring, lol.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

'Pretty Enough For Dazey' No Knead Hamburger Buns

s4eb1fxh.jpg

Snowed in again. I knew the storm was coming so I started fermenting the dough yesterday. These are so delicious. The satisfying chew of the crust and the bubbly, structured, springy crumb is lightyears ahead of any bread I've baked before. They make that satisfying 'crunch' sound when you cut them open. Works for hotdog buns too - just shape em accordingly.

Ingredients:

3 cups AP flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp active dry yeast

12 oz cool water

Directions:

Add the flour to a bowl. On one side add the salt and on the other side add the yeast. stir to combine. Add cool water. Use the handle of a wooden spoon to combine into a loose, sticky dough (about 1-3 mins), just until all the flour is pulled form side of bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or beeswaxed clothe and cover with towel to see it snug. Leave in warm (just not cool) place for 18-24 hrs.

After the dough has fermented for 18-24 hours, use a silicon spatula or plastic bench scrapper to help the dough slide out of turned bowl, onto a liberally floured surface. Dust hand with flour and flatten out dough ball. Cut into 2 and form each half into a ball. Cut each ball into 3 equal sections. Cover with damp towel for one hour. After one hour preheat oven to 450f (mine runs low so 460f) and place your baking stone on lower rack. Wait another 30 minutes.

When dough has rested at least 1.5 hours and oven is preheated, dust the hot stone with flour (just leave it in the oven and don't touch it!). Use a small amount of vegetable oil, I used sunflower, and brush lightly onto the top surface of the buns. Place onto heated stone in oven. Bake for 15 minutes and remove to a cooling rack.

Notes:

I had to do two batches due to the size of my baking stone. Keep second batch under damp towel.

I adapted this recipe from this guys, and watching his technique has been incredibly helpful to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gj-TrdKUuc

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

I made wings so hot. I took them to my herb garden to eat. They were so hot they made me cry heavily. And I couldn't talk when a really sexy women came for a chat - a fellow gardener. I tried so hard to compose myself and do introductions, but I just couldnt. She laughed at me saying that "at least your tears are cleaning the sauce from your cheeks!" 

I never did get a word out and left in shame :lol:

- Marinated wings in cayenne and chipotle powder with fresh thyme for a few hours in fridge.

- Baked in homemade roasted garlic, fresh habanero, fresh jalapeño and cayenne powder sauce.

- Dusted with chilli flake salt before eating.

X7n5eFSh.jpg

Edited by soon
  • Haha 1