The Home Cookin' Thread W/ Recipes

AxlsFavoriteRose

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Speaking of hot food, I got the Carolina Reaper edition of the Last Dab sauce :lol: I hope it's better than the Scorpion pepper edition...

The other night I made Sloppy Joe's, but instead of onions I used jalapenos, and it was so much better. :drool:

Not added jalapeño, but replaced onion with jalapeño!!!!!?? Thats bad ass! If you saute it I suppose the oils get all into the beef.

About the Last Dab, people online are saying its not hot and they can tell because the guests never react to it like the other sauces? Always seemed hot to me. You've had it. What do you make of that?

On the topic of hot sauces. I bought Farm to People's "Ghostly Louisiana Pepper Sauce" while in NYC not too long ago. It is really good, but it doesn't come with a pipette top for carefully adding small droplets to your food, but in a regular bottle which you carefully have to try to pour from, hoping that you don't soak everything with the conflagarating sauce, usually with little success. 

1 hour ago, soon said:

Not added jalapeño, but replaced onion with jalapeño!!!!!?? Thats bad ass! If you saute it I suppose the oils get all into the beef.

About the Last Dab, people online are saying its not hot and they can tell because the guests never react to it like the other sauces? Always seemed hot to me. You've had it. What do you make of that?

Yea, replaced the onion with jalapeno. It was great :D

The last dab is definitely hot... I imagine the guests on the show are so overwhelmed by the other sauces (Da Bomb) that it doesn't hit them the same way it would if they'd just started with the Last Dab... I haven't tried the Reddux version but the original is definitely a 'mouth on fire' kinda sauce... but it does actually taste good too :lol:

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, replaced the onion with jalapeno. It was great :D

You sir are a fucking legend.

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The last dab is definitely hot... I imagine the guests on the show are so overwhelmed by the other sauces (Da Bomb) that it doesn't hit them the same way it would if they'd just started with the Last Dab... I haven't tried the Reddux version but the original is definitely a 'mouth on fire' kinda sauce... but it does actually taste good too :lol:

Figured it must be that way. Glad it tastes good despite itself :lol: I had some really funky, fishy, mouth puckering hot sauce at a Chinese joint yesterday - I thought it had turned and they seemed a little offended. It was hot, I'll give em that!

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

On the topic of hot sauces. I bought Farm to People's "Ghostly Louisiana Pepper Sauce" while in NYC not too long ago. It is really good, but it doesn't come with a pipette top for carefully adding small droplets to your food, but in a regular bottle which you carefully have to try to pour from, hoping that you don't soak everything with the conflagarating sauce, usually with little success. 

I know the dilemma; you see the huge blobs fall all over your meal. You cant let your meal go to waste, or all that hot sauce either. So you eat. And your a better person when its all finally over 24 hours later :lol:

Scotch bonnet, Scorpion and Ghost. Sounds great! They probably just figure you also want the extra hot seeds to get out not your food as well. :headbang:

I was mostly used to the thinner sauces with a pipette, but now Im used to the open tops, especially for the thicker 'mash' sauces. And Comstock introduced me to the art of blending

• Like 1

8 hours ago, soon said:

You sir are a fucking legend.

Figured it must be that way. Glad it tastes good despite itself :lol: I had some really funky, fishy, mouth puckering hot sauce at a Chinese joint yesterday - I thought it had turned and they seemed a little offended. It was hot, I'll give em that!

Fishy hot sauce... no thanks. :lol:

At least it had a distinct flavour, and wasn't just 'hot for the sake of being hot'. Give 'em credit for that, I guess.

As for the Last Dab, sometimes I'll put dabs on some chicken wings but mostly I use it like other super-hot sauces - a small drop in a large pot of meat. I'll probably use the Last Dab next time I make pulled pork, but I also use 'Ghost pepper mash' or 'The hottest fuckin sauce' when I make chili, and the 'Sechuan ghost pepper' sauce is good in stew beef.

I recommend the 'jalapeno sloppy joes', maybe crumble a 1-2 pieces of bacon in there too, I can't go back to onions after that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fishy hot sauce... no thanks. :lol:

At least it had a distinct flavour, and wasn't just 'hot for the sake of being hot'. Give 'em credit for that, I guess.

As for the Last Dab, sometimes I'll put dabs on some chicken wings but mostly I use it like other super-hot sauces - a small drop in a large pot of meat. I'll probably use the Last Dab next time I make pulled pork, but I also use 'Ghost pepper mash' or 'The hottest fuckin sauce' when I make chili, and the 'Sechuan ghost pepper' sauce is good in stew beef.

I recommend the 'jalapeno sloppy joes', maybe crumble a 1-2 pieces of bacon in there too, I can't go back to onions after that.

Yeah, it was annnnnn interesting experience :lol:

I learned since that XO Sauce is a chilli hot sauce with shrimp and scallops. XO is really popular I guess. This may have been a homemade version of XO, I guess? Its definielty not my thing. Maybe its best more incorporated than just a dipping sauce for a simple steamed rice noodle and bbq pork that I had.

Nice calls, I will have to try out those pairings. Is their the numbing sechuan peppercorns in the Sechuan ghost pepper sauce? Im planning to make some pulled pork, might have to hit you up for tips when I do.

Ha, well maybe half onion, half jalapeño for me. The bacon sounds perfect. And maybe some sour cream:smiley-confused2::lol:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, soon said:

Yeah, it was annnnnn interesting experience :lol:

I learned since that XO Sauce is a chilli hot sauce with shrimp and scallops. XO is really popular I guess. This may have been a homemade version of XO, I guess? Its definielty not my thing. Maybe its best more incorporated than just a dipping sauce for a simple steamed rice noodle and bbq pork that I had.

Nice calls, I will have to try out those pairings. Is their the numbing sechuan peppercorns in the Sechuan ghost pepper sauce? Im planning to make some pulled pork, might have to hit you up for tips when I do.

Ha, well maybe half onion, half jalapeño for me. The bacon sounds perfect. And maybe some sour cream:smiley-confused2::lol:

Yea, there's sechuan peppercorns in the sauce, I'm not sure how 'numbing' it is tho :P

Usually when I make pulled pork, I use piri-piri and ghost pepper seasonings, with some 'curry habanero' sauce too. Since the Last Dab is kind of mustard-y I think it will work well in pulled pork.

Apparently 'XO sauce' also contains ham.... I'm kind of intrigued, but not exactly eager to try it :lol:

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Yea, there's sechuan peppercorns in the sauce, I'm not sure how 'numbing' it is tho :P

Usually when I make pulled pork, I use piri-piri and ghost pepper seasonings, with some 'curry habanero' sauce too. Since the Last Dab is kind of mustard-y I think it will work well in pulled pork.

Apparently 'XO sauce' also contains ham.... I'm kind of intrigued, but not exactly eager to try it :lol:

I had a dish with sechuan peppercorns and it numbed my mouth and sent, like, electric currents shooting around my mouth a bit. Im taking it that the numbing just aint enough to counter the immense heat? Dang! :headbang:

Im gonna try out some piri-piri. Never cooked with that yet. Ive got a nice habanero and cilantro that I'll use up too. Thanks for the tips!! Last chance to make big batches of food before the gardening season kicks my ass :lol:

AHHHHHHHHHH it has ham too?? That is absolutely wild. Im oddly tempted to try it again. And its a hot sauce, so Im pretty sure you'll have sampled some by the end of the week! :axl92: