Weiland blamed Sorum for VR collapse?

dalsh327

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-10-27/the-downward-spiral-how-scott-weiland-and-velvet-revolver-fell-to-pieces

"The relationship I had with Matt became horrendous. He and I had come close to fist-fights so many times that it’s ridiculous. He has an attitude with lead singers. It’s a problem he had before Revolver – in Guns N’ Roses and The Cult. And, who knows, maybe even before that. Slash and I have always been able to maintain, except on a few occasions, a professional relationship. Duff and I have usually been close. Then everything started to erode. I couldn’t believe I was in this situation where I was getting ostracised by people who had been in the same fucking situation that I was in."

Yeah, but it’s not like the first time I’ve done it. It’s what my life is, really. But it has changed my philosophy to the concept of what Velvet Revolver is about. With this band everything is about touring. I think by this time we should have made three albums. At least it gives you something a little more thrilling to do while you are touring. Something more challenging than playing It’s So Easy/Sex Type Thing every night.

The initial goal was to tour our albums and not fall back on our old catalogue from our respective past. What ended up happening was exactly the opposite. We ended up falling back on the old material because there’s not enough confidence in what this band is about. I think I have a lot more to say musically.

Interesting. 

Scott was an amazing singer and front man. Gone too young and too soon. 

May he RIP.

• Like 1

On 10/28/2016 at 1:26 AM, DR DOOM said:

Never been a Sorum fan at all, but even so can you really take SW's word on anything?

They kicked him out because he drugfucked.

exactly! and yes it' very sad Weiland died young and we lost a great talent. but he didn't HAVE to die, he chose to go back on drugs rather than retain his hard fought sobriety.

50 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

exactly! and yes it' very sad Weiland died young and we lost a great talent. but he didn't HAVE to die, he chose to go back on drugs rather than retain his hard fought sobriety.

Yeah, right, he chose to die... Well, no, smartie, people don't chose that, addiction is an illness and sometimes it is just more powerful than anything. I really hate that kind of smart ass talk by people who usually know nothing about it.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Asia said:

Yeah, right, he chose to die... Well, no, smartie, people don't chose that, addiction is an illness and sometimes it is just more powerful than anything. I really hate that kind of smart ass talk by people who usually know nothing about it.

Yeah well, doesn't change the fact the guy constantly lied through his teeth and always blamed somebody else.

I remember an interview (right after the guitarist in his band OD'd and kicked the bucket) that he had been off drugs for years...and he was quite obviously affected by drugs or a SHITLOAD of alcohol while professing this.

Yeah, addiction is an illness yadadada but it's hard to feel too sorry for a guy who had everything and just pissed it all away selfishly.

• Like 1

I think the first step to sobriety is admitting you have an addiction and the realization you're losing out on a lot of stuff because of it. Judging by all the interviews he gave, Weiland never reached that phase. He got lots of help - from Duf for example - and even with that I don't think he really wanted to kick the habit. Just look how different is his story from Duff's or Izzy's - those guys were in the same place and got out pretty much by themselves.

Anyway, I think Matt is a strong character and a lot of bands expect their drummer to just do what he's asked and not voice his opinion. I actually admire that he's not like that. In the UYI times he was the only guy who had the balls to stand up to Axl even though his position was the weakest (he wasn't a partner) and it could - and did - cost him his job. When he thought there could be a riot because of the late start - he went up to Axl and told him just that. Meanwhile, Slash and Duff were getting themselves fucked up and hoping everything will turn out right... Just compare this with all those sycophants Axl is surounded by now - none of them would take any risks and say that they don't like something. Once Izzy left, Matt was the only guy with any integrity in that band. And the last one to ever have any integrity...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bikka said:

Anyway, I think Matt is a strong character and a lot of bands expect their drummer to just do what he's asked and not voice his opinion. I actually admire that he's not like that.

I like that about Matt too, he has some gumption to him. Which is probably why he's done well for himself as a drummer, and why Axl doesn't like him. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frey said:

Axl doesn't like Sorum? No one likes Sorum. Slash allegedly hates him and even Duff has admitted that he finds it hard to get along with Sorum.

Can't say I blame them, can't stand that guy either.

I doubt Slash or Duff dislike/hate Matt. They wouldnt have maintained a friendship this long if that was the case. Before the Guns reunion those guys had worked together plenty, and Duff was even playing with the Hollywood Vampires right before the reunion too. 

He probably gets on their nerves. I noticed that during the Documentary Rise of Velvet Revolver, where Duff and Matt got into because Sorum didnt like a singer and didnt hide his displeasure of having to rehearse with the guy. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

I doubt Slash or Duff dislike/hate Matt. They wouldnt have maintained a friendship this long if that was the case. Before the Guns reunion those guys had worked together plenty, and Duff was even playing with the Hollywood Vampires right before the reunion too. 

He probably gets on their nerves. I noticed that during the Documentary Rise of Velvet Revolver, where Duff and Matt got into because Sorum didnt like a singer and didnt hide his displeasure of having to rehearse with the guy. 

I'm only going by what they themselves have said (or allegedly said in Slash's case). And by them  not caring enough about him to  push for his inclusion in the reunion. Maybe hate is too strong a word, but they clearly find him annoying at times and don't care for him like they care for each other.

Duff has said that Sorum wants things his way and that he'd like to have a band of his own to dictate (or something along the lines of). From what people have said in general, Sorum seems to have a big ego, so it's not surprising that he and Axl clashed (although at first Axl seemed to like him and he had said in an interview how much he appreciated that Matt was friendly with him despite of not knowing him for a long time). Imo it wasn't just that Sorum was confronting Axl about his lateness etc, but that he wanted to have more than a say about the band's direction and moreover he talked shit a lot in public.

Regardless of Sorum, Scott's interview is an interesting read (I've never read the whole of it before), as it gives his side of the story. And each story has two sides, even if one of them is that of a drug addict. It's like Steven's case (and even Slash's when he had a drug problem).

13 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

Still trying to understand what people like on Sorum.

Thanks Axl for not bringin him on this tour. You 're a lifesaver. Really.

I wouldn't mind him doing some guest spots, but I don't care for more than that. I don't miss his drum solos at all. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, nikosgnr said:

Still trying to understand what people like on Sorum.

Thanks Axl for not bringin him on this tour. You're a lifesaver. Really.

:lol: But yeah, I'm also really glad he's not part of this.

I can ignore Frank perfectly well, he fades into the background and doesn't bother me. And he seems like a nice guy.

Sorum's presence would annoy the hell out of me sooner or later though. He'd probably manage to mess things up between Axl, Slash and Duff as well, judging by his track record and his personality. No doubt things are probably more peaceful without him around.

The only one I'm really missing is Izzy. As long as they get Izzy to join them, I don't care who drums or how many blue haired chicks are in the band or whatever. I barely notice all these people anyway.

24 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Duff has said that Sorum wants things his way and that he'd like to have a band of his own to dictate (or something along the lines of). From what people have said in general, Sorum seems to have a big ego, so it's not surprising that he and Axl clashed (although at first Axl seemed to like him and he had said in an interview how much he appreciated that Matt was friendly with him despite of not knowing him for a long time). Imo it wasn't just that Sorum was confronting Axl about his lateness etc, but that he wanted to have more than a say about the band's direction and moreover he talked shit a lot in public.

Regardless of Sorum, Scott's interview is an interesting read (I've never read the whole of it before), as it gives his side of the story. And each story has two sides, even if one of them is that of a drug addict. It's like Steven's case (and even Slash's when he had a drug problem).

I wouldn't mind him doing some guest spots, but I don't care for more than that. I don't miss his drum solos at all. 

I think it's interesting to hear things from Scott's POV as well. Reminds me of that other time where he talked about suddenly understanding Axl much better and how Slash and Duff had supposedly painted such a terrible picture of Axl, but now he's starting to doubt that and sees what Axl had to deal with. Something like that in any case. (Or was that in the same interview? I only ever saw the quotes and never the full interviews either.)

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

You don't want your head turned into "mashed rice" for 20 long long minutes? :lol: 

I wonder if Izzy has forgotten those horrible solos or he doesn't mind because he won't have to tour with Sorum

Izzy:

"Axl wasn't doing his front man job anymore. As for the others, there were all stoned and wasted, I wasn't even able to make them learn covers: We could have play covers while Axl was away waiting for him to come back, entertaining the kids. No. We came up with drum solo. What's more boring than a drum solo?"              

:lol:

24 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

I think it's interesting to hear things from Scott's POV as well. Reminds me of that other time where he talked about suddenly understanding Axl much better and how Slash and Duff had supposedly painted such a terrible picture of Axl, but now he's starting to doubt that and sees what Axl had to deal with. Something like that in any case. (Or was that in the same interview? I only ever saw the quotes and never the full interviews either.)

Yeah, the quote about Axl is in the interview posted in this thread. It's also the same interview where he said that the reunion had almost happened. These parts I have read before, but not the rest of it. There's an interesting bit, in which Scott's arguments about his role in the band and his relationship with the others remind a lot of what Axl has said about himself:

When you’re the frontman and the person who writes the majority of the music – all the melodies, all the lyrics – the person who comes up with all the creative ideas – video ideas, concepts for covers, that sort of thing – eventually other band members start looking at you.

Initially you’re the asset, especially in the first couple of years. You’re the one who has to give all the interviews – when times are great and when times are not so great. So suddenly people are saying: “Why is he getting all the attention?” Well, sometimes none of the other guys want the attention. Well, they want the attention but they don’t want any of the responsibility that comes with it.

I wonder if he and Axl had direct contact.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Frey said:

I'm only going by what they themselves have said (or allegedly said in Slash's case). And by them  not caring enough about him to  push for his inclusion in the reunion. Maybe hate is too strong a word, but they clearly find him annoying at times and don't care for him like they care for each other.

No one knows that for certain. We still know little about anything of the circumstances that led to this whole reunion thing. Sorum says he wasnt asked. But certain insiders have reported that Slash and Duff did in fact lobby for him to be part of the reunion.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

:lol: But yeah, I'm also really glad he's not part of this.

I can ignore Frank perfectly well, he fades into the background and doesn't bother me. And he seems like a nice guy.

Sorum's presence would annoy the hell out of me sooner or later though. He'd probably manage to mess things up between Axl, Slash and Duff as well, judging by his track record and his personality. No doubt things are probably more peaceful without him around.

The only one I'm really missing is Izzy. As long as they get Izzy to join them, I don't care who drums or how many blue haired chicks are in the band or whatever. I barely notice all these people anyway.

I knew it wasn't only me..! :lol:

It's not all about skills to fit into a band. You have to be also a nice person.. And Frank to my eyes has them both.

Same thing for 4tus. He's a great guy! And that's why they fitted so well into this. They know where they are, they know what role they have.

Frank counts 9 yrs behind the kit.. 4tus almost 15..!

Sorum would only bring problems with him, making things intense.

• 2 weeks later...