If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

4 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Seems like Tyler is about to break it big. Hearing his name more n more out there. I turned my buddy on to him, Sturgill and Colter Wall and he can’t get enough of them. He was whining how new country sucks, and I said you just gotta know where to look...

Yeah there's been some good underground country coming out the past few years. This thread is a good example of that. With rock sucking so bad this whole decade, I've actually been turned on to more new country acts I like than rock.

I've been hearing this guy lately. I like him. Georgia boy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Is this country?

Kicks the hell out of modern country IMHO.........

Just personally speaking I can't stand any of the Stones country stuff. I don't know many real country fans that do actually. Now they love The Stones, you put on Satisfaction or Paint it Black or Gimme Shelter, and they'll be yelling turn it up. But put on Far Away Eyes or Dead Flowers or one of those and you won't get much reaction at all. I would be hitting the skip button.

In terms of modern Nashville radio music, yeah, a bunch of stuff kicks the hell out of that :lol: but the non CMT stuff that's came out recently, a bunch in this thread, Hank III, Tyler Childers, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Jamey Johnson, they're the real deal. It's kinda like rock music these days, you might have to look for it but there's some great stuff out there.

15 hours ago, J Dog said:

Just personally speaking I can't stand any of the Stones country stuff. I don't know many real country fans that do actually. Now they love The Stones, you put on Satisfaction or Paint it Black or Gimme Shelter, and they'll be yelling turn it up. But put on Far Away Eyes or Dead Flowers or one of those and you won't get much reaction at all. I would be hitting the skip button.

In terms of modern Nashville radio music, yeah, a bunch of stuff kicks the hell out of that :lol: but the non CMT stuff that's came out recently, a bunch in this thread, Hank III, Tyler Childers, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, Jamey Johnson, they're the real deal. It's kinda like rock music these days, you might have to look for it but there's some great stuff out there.

Interesting since the  some of the Stones  better known country songs seemed to be partly an influence of Gram Parson friendship with Keef.

How do country fans view Gram Parson and his influence on the genre?  I have read he gets credit by some for helping to make country music more mainstream.

Do you consider his work with the Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo), his work with the Burritos (Gilded Place of Sins) and his solo stuff  (GP and Grievous Angel) to be country music? and if so where does it fit into the country music history?

Interesting comment by Brad Paisley on the Stones country music

http://tasteofcountry.com/brad-paisley-rolling-stones-great-country-bands-ever/

Edited by classicrawker

20 hours ago, classicrawker said:

Interesting since the  some of the Stones  better known country songs seemed to be partly an influence of Gram Parson friendship with Keef.

How do country fans view Gram Parson and his influence on the genre?  I have read he gets credit by some for helping to make country music more mainstream.

Do you consider his work with the Byrds (Sweetheart of the Rodeo), his work with the Burritos (Gilded Place of Sins) and his solo stuff  (GP and Grievous Angel) to be country music? and if so where does it fit into the country music history?

Interesting comment by Brad Paisley on the Stones country music

http://tasteofcountry.com/brad-paisley-rolling-stones-great-country-bands-ever/

I'm a Gram Parsons fan. He's kind of folky isn't he? A lot of his stuff reminds me of like, hardcore traditional Americana country, like John Denver or something. I like him though. I wouldn't put him up there with cats like Hank Sr. or Merle Haggard or Waylon Jennings, but he's good. Another one that died too soon. About the mainstream thing, country fans don't really care about that. We actually don't mind that we have our own little thing tucked back in the woods, couldn't care less if the mainstream likes it. Nashville cares, they want their superstars out there. But for true county fans you can keep the mainstream.

I like Sweetheart of the Rodeo. Wouldn't call it great country, but it's a good attempt I think. The story behind the making/production/end of the Parsons Byrds era is an interesting story, you should read up on that if you haven't already. I like the Burritos too. Like with the Byrds, I wouldn't call it great, groundbreaking county, but it's a good genuine attempt.

That's the difference to me between that stuff and The Stones' country stuff. Those were all genuine attempts at making real country music. Stones don't feel genuine. The actual music is good enough, I can dig the music. Mick kills it for me. His voice on those songs. Sounds like mockery and ridicule and more of a dig than anything. Most country fans I know feel the same way. Even Len agrees with me, we've had this discussion before, and he's a big time Stones fan.

I didn't read that link, Paisley is your typical Nashville pop star. I'm sure he calls The Stones a huge influence and kisses Mick's ass. And I'm not downing The Stones, I love them. And all country fans I know love them, the rock stuff anyway. But nobody really listens to the country songs. Mick just sounds so not genuine and fake, like he's singing those songs with a sly grin, taking the piss at country as some of our English friends would say.

Theres a school of thought that says the only way Mick could justify his occupation to his high society friends after a certain point was that it was all parody.  I think its a little hard to listen to Far Away Eyes and say it isn't taking the piss out of country.  I mean come on, that whole bit about gospel radio stations and the church of the bleeding heart of etc etc, how is that not taking the piss?  And there was a fair bit of that too, what is Rocky Raccoon if not a pisstake of a certain kind of earthy American music?