If That Ain't Country

Fitha_whiskey

On 11/6/2016 at 0:42 AM, Fitha_whiskey said:

Post your country music feelings here.

I love old school country music. Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, George Jones, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams, etc. 

Hate is understood and strangely welcomed.

I adore a lot of the old school stuff but there is some newer stuff that isn't awful as well. Have you heard any Sturgil Simpson? If not I highly encourage listening to his latest LP, A Sailor's Guide To Earth, ASAP.

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I adore a lot of the old school stuff but there is some newer stuff that isn't awful as well. Have you heard any Sturgil Simpson? If not I highly encourage listening to his latest LP, A Sailor's Guide To Earth, ASAP.

Yes, I should say I don't care for the new mainstream country very much. There are some cool outlaw/ underground guys out there still. Like Sturgill Simpson. I don't have his latest that you mentioned, but I do have Metamodern Sounds in Country Music and like it. His voice sounds a lot like Waylon I think.

Outlaw Country on Sirius is one of my 3 most listened to stations. Lots of cool new (& old) shit on there.

2 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Yes, I should say I don't care for the new mainstream country very much. There are some cool outlaw/ underground guys out there still. Like Sturgill Simpson. I don't have his latest that you mentioned, but I do have Metamodern Sounds in Country Music and like it. His voice sounds a lot like Waylon I think.

Outlaw Country on Sirius is one of my 3 most listened to stations. Lots of cool new (& old) shit on there.

I can't stand a lot of new country. Good that you're into Sturgil. You gotta check out the latest album. 

• Like 1

So when I was a kid I used to listen to this band called Staind and their album "Break the Cycle" was kinda one of my introductions to alt/nu metal. Many years later I'm listening to this album by Aaron Lewis and holy shit! It's the guy from Staind :lol:

I enjoy musicians that versatile. Although I never paid attention to Staind after that album, there are some songs I really enjoyed, like 'It's Been a While" and "Open Your Eyes". I'm no expert in country music but his last album is cool, great for a road trip.

23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The greatest country singer that ever lived, Hank was the full package, he had the voice, the chops, the songs and he lived the fuckin' life, dead at 30 something having lived as a fuckin' hard-drinking hard-fucking man of the road.

My man died in the backseat of a Cadillac while traveling between shows, you can't fuck with that.

He is an incredibly underrated song writer too. Lots of his songs are damn near poetry. Check this shit out....

Hey good lookin, what'cha got cookin'......Move it on over (move it on over), move over little dog the big dog's movin in....There's a tear in my beer cause I'm cryin for ya dear

Those songs are like 75 years old and everybody knows those lines. Even if you've never even heard the songs before, you know the lines. That's a pretty amazing thing to do as a songwriter.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2016 at 7:45 AM, RussTCB said:

22 hours ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Sturgill is good. Checked out Chris Stapleton? Traveller is one of the best new country albums I've heard in a long time.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J Dog said:

Cash, Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson....

I work in highway construction (on a land surveying crew), so I crank this one a lot when I'm drinking on the weekend...

I like Kris and know why they had him in the group, but I've always wished it was Merle instead of him. 

There was a cool documentary on PBS about this group. Definitely worth watching.

I like Kris too and yeah, I get why they included him, but Hag would have been perfect. They would have been THE supergroup with him. I'm gonna find that documentary.

I always liked how they sang and did songs with each other. You could tell they were all really tight friends.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Straight to Hell?  Thats a Clash song.  I'm on it chief, cheers ;)

Makes sense, it kinda has a punk vibe. By that I just mean shorter songs, fast, attitude. One thing's for sure, him and his band are on fucking fire the whole album.

2 hours ago, J Dog said:

Makes sense, it kinda has a punk vibe. By that I just mean shorter songs, fast, attitude. One thing's for sure, him and his band are on fucking fire the whole album.

I love Hank III. I saw him play in a bar in Lawrence KS around 15 years ago on a cold n snowy winter night. Half the crowd was 60+ years old. The half that was younger was all high as fuck (myself included). He played his country stuff for the first half, then took an intermission, and told the old folks they should probably leave now. Then they came back out and played the Hellbilly shit. Weird weird show. One I'll never forget...

I've also seen Bocephus twice. 2 of the most fun shows I've seen.

On 11/6/2016 at 9:51 AM, Whiskey Rose said:

I could listen to this on a sunny Sunday morning..

Also, I like Eric Church. There, I said it.

oh i love the Possum! did you ever heard the story where he wanted more booze but his wife took his car keys away so he used a lawn mower to get to the liquor store? here it is in his words! :lol:

Once, when I had been drunk for several days, Shirley decided she would make it physically impossible for me to buy liquor. I lived about eight miles from Beaumont and the nearest liquor store. She knew I wouldn't walk that far to get booze, so she hid the keys to every car we owned and left.

But she forgot about the lawn mower. I can vaguely remember my anger at not being able to find keys to anything that moved and looking longingly out a window at a light that shone over our property. There, gleaming in the glow, was that ten-horsepower rotary engine under a seat; a key glistening in the ignition.

I imagine the top speed for that old mower was five miles per hour. It might have taken an hour and a half or more for me to get to the liquor store, but get there I did.

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Was meant to give it a listen, spent the night listening to The Essential George Jones instead, I'll get on it though!

:lol:

Well I can't get upset with anybody for listening to some Possum now can I. But let me know what you think about Straight to Hell. I think you'll like it. Some heads up...Dick in Dixie has your favorite word in it....Not Everybody Likes Us, listen out for the Kid Rock diss.

2 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh i love the Possum! did you ever heard the story where he wanted more booze but his wife took his car keys away so he used a lawn mower to get to the liquor store? here it is in his words! :lol:

Once, when I had been drunk for several days, Shirley decided she would make it physically impossible for me to buy liquor. I lived about eight miles from Beaumont and the nearest liquor store. She knew I wouldn't walk that far to get booze, so she hid the keys to every car we owned and left.

But she forgot about the lawn mower. I can vaguely remember my anger at not being able to find keys to anything that moved and looking longingly out a window at a light that shone over our property. There, gleaming in the glow, was that ten-horsepower rotary engine under a seat; a key glistening in the ignition.

I imagine the top speed for that old mower was five miles per hour. It might have taken an hour and a half or more for me to get to the liquor store, but get there I did.

"But she forgot about the lawn mower" :lol:

• Like 2