METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

Moth Into Flame? Apart from the 4 seconds of melodic chorus it definitely sounds like Kill 'Em All. The verses are even structured almost identically to the bridge in Four Horseman.

Look, do I wish that GN'R had released more than one album in 25 years? Of course! But with this reunion happening there is not only a larger audience and appetite for a new album more than ever, but there's more chance of it being excellent more than ever. And I don't think for one second that anything Metallica are capable of releasing at this point can make them more relevant than GN'R.

How can GnR be more relevant than Metallica right now? Sorry but I'm lost here :P Metallica re the one's releasing a new record and about to go on a giant word tour. The album seems to be getting reviews ranging from mixed to this is a very good album. Fans of Metallica and GnR are almost impossible to please though. I would prefer if Metallica let up with the fast thrashy stuff and played groovier heavy music like their 90s output... most would disagree with that. Most Guns want a nostalgic blues rock album from Guns, I want them to bring some of that hard edge blue rock back, while building on what CD was... I know most disagree with me! A new Guns album is overdue, but when it does arrive it will more than likely receive a mixed response, ranging from "utter shit" to "this is the best thing ever, best thing they've ever released" 

As for Moth: if it sounds like anything it's black album era Metallica. 

We can agree to disagree, Metallica and Guns are both huge right now, that's fact. And it's great for rock music. Nothing worth bickering about. 

• Like 1

Very well said Kirk! Very true!

Metallica is a example in some many levels...Relevance, professionalism, production, enthusiasm, seriousness ...
Are always involved in daring projects, do not settle, keep on maintaining quality and focus

3 minutes ago, maynard said:

LOL, some pathetic GNR apologists here as expected. Kirk is correct. His only mistake is using the word 'somewhat'. It IS a Nostalgia Act. GNR fans are so bitter. Jesus! I guess that's why I don't post here so often aymore. This place is filled with teenager-like Axl asskissers.

You sir! Are a glass significantly less than half full.

It's like everybody – including Hammett – is ignoring the fact that unlike with Metallica, there have been certain lineup changes in the GNR camp along the way... Like there is a whole new band right now. Doesn't that matter in any way?? And thus also comparing these two bands is equally ridiculous. Think, people, think.

Whatever Axl has or has not done up until 2014 has nothing to do with GNR 2016.

Edited by jamillos

3 hours ago, ForcedToRegister said:

As of now, he's not wrong.

However as of now I don't think it is a bad thing for GNR to be doing what it is they are doing.  This isn't like Metallica where this is the first tour Kirk has done with the band in over 20 years, this reunion means a lot to GNR fans and I think it is perfectly ok - actually perfectly wise - for them to tour the world and play the songs that everyone knows and loves

After this tour ends though, that is when it is prime time for new material

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jamillos said:

It's like everybody – including Hammett – is ignoring the fact that unlike with Metallica, there have been certain lineup changes in the GNR camp along the way... Like there is a whole new band right now. Doesn't that matter in any way?? And thus also comparing these two bands is equally ridiculous. Think, people, think.

Whatever Axl has or has not done up until 2014 has nothing to do with GNR 2016.

Yeah the reunion is a big enough thing to not include the years of no new music between Chinese and '14/'15. Although if they now take another 8 years to release something but still tour under this lineup then yeah, Kirk may have a point.

I am not a Metallica fan, I just like 2 to 3 songs by them, they were just not my type, But I respect them for sticking together and putting out albums every 4 to 5 years or so. 

Kirk is a great guitarist and a great person too, We should accept the reality instead of bashing him. 

Now what is the excuse for some people on here? that GN'R back together so again delay a new album? that is not a valid reason, as fans we do want new music, its been a very long time. 

Axl, Slash and Duff are really talented, I am sure Axl has great melodies and vocals recorded, Slash has great riffs and solos and Duff can put his input on adding stuff. 

They can easily release an album in 3 months time. But will that happen? I don't think so. 

Honestly I see an AC/DC album with Axl coming out before a GN'R Album with Axl. 

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

I am not a Metallica fan, I just like 2 to 3 songs by them, they were just not my type, But I respect them for sticking together and putting out albums every 4 to 5 years or so. 

Kirk is a great guitarist and a great person too, We should accept the reality instead of bashing him. 

Now what is the excuse for some people on here? that GN'R back together so again delay a new album? that is not a valid reason, as fans we do want new music, its been a very long time. 

Axl, Slash and Duff are really talented, I am sure Axl has great melodies and vocals recorded, Slash has great riffs and solos and Duff can put his input on adding stuff. 

They can easily release an album in 3 months time. But will that happen? I don't think so. 

Honestly I see an AC/DC album with Axl coming out before a GN'R Album with Axl. 

No but is it not perfectly understandable why they'd choose to do a tour together first after not speaking of over 20 years?

Just now, AlexC said:

No but is it not perfectly understandable why they'd choose to do a tour together first after not speaking of over 20 years?

Alexander, I am happy that they are touring, but working on a new album would be great too. 

Just now, Slash787 said:

Alexander, I am happy that they are touring, but working on a new album would be great too. 

And they probably will, but they're only on the second leg, I think it's fair to say they're gonna wait until the world tour is over before they collaborate and hit the studio. Remember, these guys notoriously didn't get along. They're back, and by all accounts they are getting along fine. If they're still getting along after a full blown world tour then I'm pretty confident we're gonna get a new album.

Of course this tour is a nostalgic tour, but it has to be. Just wait and see what they do after its over before you label them. Metallica waits 8 years to release an album, and tours on old songs in between. They opened the new Vikings Stadium a few months ago and played one song that was released post '97. They've been a band for 30 years and the majority of their setlists are full of old songs. They've done shows where they play old albums all the way through. Even if they play the entire new album on tour like Maiden did, they are still a nostalgia act, whether they like it or not. The new songs will die off like the Death Magnetic ones did, and they still be playing the same songs from the first 5 albums like they always do.

Edited by GoBucky
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Maybe Axl is just waiting on someone to pay a ridiculous amount of money for them to record together again...I'm sure the offers are tempting 

Well I hope not. Whatever happened to "our music comes first" ? 

He is meant to be a musician, not a nostalgia act. 

I wish he would make use of his voice whilst he still has it, and I bet Slash will be wanting him to work on his ideas. 

I think he just means that they're out there supporting a new album, as a opposed to Guns who are simply out there touting the reunion, which is still a pretty big deal.  

That said, I think his judgement here is a little pre-mature since they've only been out touring for several months after taking a 23 year break.  If by this time next year we don't know anything more about an upcoming Guns album, Kirk's assessment will be correct.

Edited by sofine11