METALLICA's KIRK HAMMETT Says GUNS N' ROSES Has 'Turned Into Somewhat Of A Nostalgia Act'

23 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Well I hope not. Whatever happened to "our music comes first" ? 

He is meant to be a musician, not a nostalgia act. 

I wish he would make use of his voice whilst he still has it, and I bet Slash will be wanting him to work on his ideas. 

Agreed, I wish it was still like that, but money will come first. 

Ive heard someone say this before but this tour is for Axl Slash and Duff to celebrate what they accomplished together, and finally have a parade of sorts. I think they are enjoying the moment.

relationships will get tested when they start work on a new album, but I think they get something together. They don't feel like they can fail together, they never have and if something goes wrong then they have each other to fall on. When Axl tried to do it alone it was all on him and that pressure swallowed him. He's talked about it in interviews before but I think it will be nice to have a couple friends to lean on this go around. 

But as you pointed out...nobody is getting younger

• Like 1

it's been 8 years since Axl's last album

Slash released 3 albums in that time period while having to share his lead singer with another band.

Axl is/was/continues to be why we have no music.

Slash and Duff would knock out a GNR sounding album in no time flat. As usual they are not the problem in this equation.

• Like 4

All the fans that came out to see GNR in concert didn't seem to mind hearing their songs over again.

First of all this is a "reunion" tour and the first time since Slash has played with Axl in over 20 years. Why don't we give GNR a break and enjoy this time. We've waited so long.

If GNR do release new music that's great if not I'm glad I was able to see them the 4 times I have.

Honestly, if I were Kirk I would not critize any other band. Yeah, they release new music, but does any fan care? I bet Metallica still perform all their older songs when they tour. If you're going to release new music make sure your fans give a shit about it.

Metallica was better before they began making videos and hits for radio play.

There are many musicians and bands from the 60, 70 80 and 90 who still tour and haven't done anything beyond their hits and their fans still come out and love it.

As for Poison, they rock live and give it their all, so who the hell cares if the songs are 30 years old. Good songs are always welcome!

6 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Metallica have released, since Use Your Illusion and the Black album, five albums (including the new one) to Axl's one.

- Load/Reload/St Anger/Death Magnetic/Hardwired

- Chinese Democracy

(And that is not including the numerous Metallica live albums, the Beyond Magnetic EP featuring outakes, films, the Lou Reed collaboration and the covers album they did.)

I have to disagree. Guns released 1 album since the Illusions. 1993

Then they split and now they have the chance to continue releasing music while or after touring the world.

The 3 of them just reunited, so let's wait and see where the journey takes us.

Kirk isn't wrong but it's a totally different situation now, so have a little patience

This reunion has been a one day at a time sorta deal. First they started off with Coachella, then a world tour, then they wanted to extend the tour because of how much fun they've been having. New music wasn't obviously planned from the get-go, I think reunited GN'R wanted to see smoothy the ship sailed. However, if we don't have new music in 2017-2018 and they continue to tour the hits? Yep, afraid Kirk's got a point.

Signs For New Music: 

* During the China Exchange interview, Axl revealed he wishes to release more music under the Guns n' Roses name.

* During the same interview, Axl also says he had shown his work to Duff and Slash and they were interested in the material

* Duff and Slash learned the CD material no problem, showing they now respect Axl's work.

* Axl keeps Frank as a full time drummer instead of replacing him fully with Steven. This sign shows that Axl wants to persue this current lineup. 

* He hasn't dropped CD songs and hired Melissa Reese. If he was done with his vision he would have ditched the second keyboards.

* We can presume that information about new music was cut out of the Brazillian interview.

Signs Against New Music?
Axl Fuckin' Rose, ladies and gentleman. The biggest block that we will ever have in the hopes of hearing new music.

2 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I have to disagree. Guns released 1 album since the Illusions. 1993

Then they split and now they have the chance to continue releasing music while or after touring the world.

The 3 of them just reunited, so let's wait and see where the journey takes us.

Kirk isn't wrong but it's a totally different situation now, so have a little patience

Oh come on!! Alright alright, if we are including Spaghetti, we'll have to include disc one of Garage Inc. All that does is add an extra album to each,

6 for Metallica, two for Guns!

And nobody is disputing Slash and Duff's activity, more Axl's lack of activity. Whether you believe Nugnr were 'Guns N' Roses' or not, the fact remains that Axl has only released one album in twenty-five years!

Since 'nostalgia' is a greek word, let me tell you another greek word: oraia (ωραία) which means nicely.

In ancient greek oraia derives from ora (ώρα) which means time, so for something to be nice it has to be done at the right time.

I want to believe that the guys want to make a new GOOD record as much as we do.

But let them finish what they're doing now, which is building up their relationship.

Their solid relationship this time will be a prerequisite for any new record.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

And nobody is disputing Slash and Duff's activity, more Axl's lack of activity. Whether you believe Nugnr were 'Guns N' Roses' or not, the fact remains that Axl has only released one album in twenty-five years!

That's it. If he made this comment last year, it would have been spot on but making it now, he's dragging Slash and Duff in the nostalgia thing and that's not fair. I mean, Slash has written more songs in the last 2 years than Kirk has in his entire life.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh come on!! Alright alright, if we are including Spaghetti, we'll have to include disc one of Garage Inc. All that does is add an extra album to each,

6 for Metallica, two for Guns!

6 for Metallica, one for Guns :P 

Just now, BorderlineCrazy said:

That's it. If he made this comment last year, it would have been spot on but making it now, he's dragging Slash and Duff in the nostalgia thing and that's not fair. I mean, Slash has written more songs in the last 2 years than Kirk has in his entire life.

You'd have to assume that the return of Slash and Duff will somehow snap Axl out of a twenty-five year habit of lethargy. I'm not willing to assume that.

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

You'd have to assume that the return of Slash and Duff will somehow snap Axl out of a twenty-five year habit of lethargy. I'm not willing to assume that.

I'm not willing to assume anything either but it'd be better if Kirk said "Axl is a lazy bastard" excluding the two prolific members of GNR.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

I'm not willing to assume anything either but it'd be better if Kirk said "Axl is a lazy bastard" excluding the two prolific members of GNR.

So we are now seeing Nugnr as an aberration, something to not be regarded? Can we just clarify this? I mean, ironically I've been saying similar stuff for years only to be told by the Axl fanatics: ''Nooo, you are wrong. Nugnr is Guns N' Roses. You do not get to dictate what is Guns. It says Guns on the album (Chinese) cover'' etc etc!

4 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Stop the fucking endless touring after Asia/Europe, go to a fucking recording studio and make a fucking album.

This is the first time they have toured there since the reunion, I would hardly call that endless though. It has barely even been a year give or take since the reunion became reality anyways it is still a relatively young event.  I don't think its unreasonable to focus on live shows at least right now

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

So we are now seeing Nugnr as an aberration, something to not be regarded? Can we just clarify this? I mean, ironically I've been saying similar stuff for years only to be told by the Axl fanatics: ''Nooo, you are wrong. Nugnr is Guns N' Roses. You do not get to dictate what is Guns. It says Guns on the album (Chinese) cover'' etc etc!

I don't see it as an aberration but it was NEVER GNR to me. Of course we don't get to dictate what is Guns, but we're entitled to our own opinion. I would never argue the fact that Axl got the rights of the GNR brand to use them as he wanted but IMO a band can't be bought. GNR and "NuGNR" were two completely different bands (in fact, one of them was a solo project) in terms of sound, image, style and relevance, and I find it absurd that two different bands can have the same name even if it's totally fine from a legal point of view.

So yeah, in my opinion (an already  harmed) GNR disbanded in 1996 when Slash quit the band. Actually, I don't think Duff left GNR, I think he left because there was no more GNR, just Axl wanting to do his thing and expecting him to play Dizzy.

Kirk is basically right and nothing wrong about it. The whole reunion is a success and it was a right thing to do. However, if they don't release a new album as a natural extension of the reunion tour, I would be dissapointed. This whole tour should be sealed with a new album. Without the new album, regardless how much we hate it, the whole "cashgrab/nostalgia act" argument would be spot on.. 

Edited by Kenan
  • Like 1

He's right. I don't know whats worse though GNR not releasing anything since 93 or people who come to your concerts not wanting to hear anything you've released since 1990 as is the case with Metallica. I hope Metallica's next album is worth it's release and let's hope GNR give us new music, i'm quietly optimistic.

Edited by Silverburst80

3 hours ago, sofine11 said:

That said, I think his judgement here is a little pre-mature since they've only been out touring for several months after taking a 23 year break.  If by this time next year we don't know anything more about an upcoming Guns album, Kirk's assessment will be correct.

THIS is exactly right.

C'mon people. They've been back together and touring for 7 months with a few breaks mixed in. They haven't even finished a worldwide tour in which everyone wants to see them. We've been spoiled with Internet and live streaming so that it all seems old already. But those that don't do periscope haven't seen them yet. Relax.

If they are still touring the greatest hits 2 years from now THEN you can call them a nostalgia act. Until then, it's ridiculous.

This is just a case of instant gratification from fans.

Since things seem to be working out between SLASH, DUFF and AXL, we may very well get a new record. Have some freaking patience.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Silverburst80 said:

He's right. I don't know whats worse though GNR not releasing anything since 93 or people who come to your concerts not wanting to hear anything you've released since 1990 as is the case with Metallica.

I'm not sure, but I think that for a majority of the audience The Black Album from 1991 is still a pretty big album.

The problem is Metallica are just making more old music. They are the ones milking the past and the fans. 

Metallica come nowhere near the development of Shackler's, Better, If the World, Scraped, Sorry, Prostitute. This is real new music. 

Plus even on the Cash grab reunion nostalgia fuck you tour Guns still play 4-5 songs from CD. I saw Metallica and they played 1 song from DM. They just sitting on the rock conveyor belt telling people what they want to hear because they can't admit they got nothing new. 

Edited by wasted
Nostalgia Golgotha
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Have some freaking patience.

You're telling GnR fans to have patience? We got one album of original material in 25 years and you're telling us to have some patience? Ok, that's it. I retire from this board.