Would Guns N' Roses sound better if they were drinking, smoking and taking other drugs?

I think the reason is because how they were inspired back then. They were practically homeless, alcoholic, junkie, problematic, piss off, angry, young people, who happen to be talented in music so they used it as another outlet of their problems. Now they are more domesticated, definitely so much richer, not even smoking or drinking on daily basis, much more content in life, perhaps not exactly wiser, and of course still got so many talents in music.

Like they'll never be another AFD. We can hope something as close as it can be, but never going to be as great as that. The aggression, the dangerousness, don't expect it to come back.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Original said:

I think you meant to say 'would Nu GnR have sounded any better if we the fans had been drinking (a lot), smoking (a lot) and taking other drugs (a lot).'  The answer is that maybe would have helped slightly.

:rofl-lol:ingenious answer:rofl-lol: to a in my opinion very silly question:facepalm:

Did Scott Weiland (R.I.P.) sound good in his final days? Does Wes Scantlin from Puddle Of Mudd sound great when he is fucked up on drugs? Does Vince Neil sound good these days, because he is drinking?

No. Because it creeps up on you. If they would still drink or use, Guns would sound like absolute shit. You can see it with every band. For a little while, when the members are young, drugs and booze work. But after awhile those things start to consume you. Then you either get your shit together or fade away.

And if they would drink like two beers or smoke a joint, if they weren't alcoholics or junkies and they could stay within those boundaries, it still wouldn't probably make a lick of difference and they wouldn't play any better. I think they sound so much better without any alcohol or drugs.

(Though, in reality Guns would be dead if they would still use.)

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 3

I don't necessarily agree with others in this thread that think they actually sounded better when they were on drugs.

Some shows, sure, are all time classics and they were lit up..but many times they would come out and would be sloppy and loose during the 80's and 90's. Iterms of consistency and tightness, this band is on another level vs. the lit up/drunk version" of the band we saw during the 80's and 90's.

Basically, their very best work and very best live shows happened when they were living on the edge....but the band as a whole, over the course of the tour, sounds better and tighter, on a more consistence basis now, than they ever have.

2 hours ago, Dangelus said:

Nope, because it would implode again. The drug taking and drinking and general fucked-upness of Slash and Duff is as much to blame as Axl's attitude and tardiness for the original break-up.

This. Nail on the head! 

2 hours ago, Original said:

I think you meant to say 'would Nu GnR have sounded any better if we the fans had been drinking (a lot), smoking (a lot) and taking other drugs (a lot).'  The answer is that maybe would have helped slightly.

This is especially true with Dj Ashba playing a sweet child solo. 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

All their best stuff was made on drugs and booze just like The Stones, so it seems reasonable to presume so. Now, pies is their fuel.

Actually it's more reasonable to assume that in general rock and roll is a young mans game....most every iconic piece of rock history was created by individuals on the front half of their life span.  Not the back end.   And, to tie this all up in a pretty bow, substance abuse is typically more accepted and forgiving on younger individuals.

i am certain had this band never existed until all members were 50 AFD would never exist.  However, I am not certain it would not if you take substances out of the equation when it was created.

Ultimately, I would contend the fountain of youth is as important if not more important in this scenario than drugs and alcohol.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Liquor & Whores said:

except for Axl

never a junkie nor alcoholic

Pff shut up he was heavy cocaine user until '87.

Btw doesn't Axl still drink, smoke and party after shows?

What kind of stupid question is this? I mean who in their right mind could assume that drugs, drinking and smoking make your performance better?

Duff would not be with us today if he didn't stop drinking in '96.

Slash already died during Illusion tour :P , he has serious heart problems one bottle of whisky or line of cocaine would end his life in 30 minutes.

And Axl is in bad shape anyways he should be careful with that drinking and fucking young hoe's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DexAxl said:

What kind of stupid question is this? I mean who in their right mind could assume that drugs, drinking and smoking make your performance better?

When you think about it most bands are fucked up in their prime which normally is when they sound the best lol.

• Like 1