Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

3 minutes ago, Zoot said:

Damn, I could've been IzzysLoot... Missed opportunity. :(

I wanted 'Kristen' but somebody with 0 posts in 2006 already took it. <_<

Well, after I registered but before I started posting I wanted to change my name to NotInThisLifetime but couldn't. A few days after, the band announced the tour with that name :(

What about "Kristen_" or "Kristen Stradlin"? :awesomeface:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, dgnr said:

Your new avatar @Tori72 :drool::drool: 

I know, right? This is the pic that brought my attention to Izzy. "What the fuck who is this cool sexy BADASS is it really Izzy OMG I need to know more about him!!!" :lol:

15 minutes ago, Zoot said:

Damn, I could've been IzzysLoot... Missed opportunity. :(

I wanted 'Kristen' but somebody with 0 posts in 2006 already took it. <_<

Sweetie! You could have been the one thing Izzy really wanted! :rofl-lol: I'm sure you would be anyway but calling yourself Izzysloot might help ;););) :P

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

That was RIR rehearsal in January 1991. Izzy didn't leave until August, I think? Not sure if he already planned to leave? It was the time when he would travel by bus (not to Rio though :lol:) and they had a plane and he'd still beat them. To the gig. :P

What I think/assume,  Izzy's leaving was not something he just suddenly decided, so even if it was January 91, he was already drifting apart from them. Being in a band when you are trying to stay clean/sober and the others are not.. there are going to be problems (plus add Axl Rose with all his issues in the mix and there you have it) 

It is funny that Izzy was beating them to the gigs even if he was traveling by bus. By the way about that interview: 

When I look at him really closely, I think his eyes look a little odd.. maybe it's the lighting or it could be my imagination.. I don't know

36 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

When I look at him really closely, I think his eyes look a little odd.. maybe it's the lighting or it could be my imagination.. I don't know

To be honest, all Juju Hounds Izzy seems to me a little odd. Maybe I'm imagining this. Or maybe too much weed but apparently he had kicked it all? What is it that I see then in his face? He looks more stressed, lined, worn out and stoned since he left GnR than before. At least since 1990...

1 hour ago, kkferro72 said:

Lol. Why? Well, you must have your reasons.;)

Have you told @Darkenchantress and @Jane M. about it? Just in case they're still alive and eventually come back to us? :lol:

It was 3am, I couldn't sleep and I thought it'd be a funny joke but now I'm stuck with it for a year. I guess the forum rules are you can only change your display name once a year. Maybe I should pull a Prince and just ask to be called "The artist formally known as Kris_1989" :lol:

And no, Jane ran off to her avocado farm and I think Darkenchantress is busy with work? So they don't know yet. :rofl-lol:

25 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

To be honest, all Juju Hounds Izzy seems to me a little odd. Maybe I'm imagining this. Or maybe too much weed but apparently he had kicked it all? What is it that I see then in his face? He looks more stressed, lined, worn out and stoned since he left GnR than before. At least since 1990...

I think it's a combination of too much weed and being sick and tired of being asked about guns. :shrugs:

I remember a Jimmy Ashhurst interview where the interviewer asked about Izzy leaving the juju hounds and Jimmy replied with "Yeah, he was "sick"." (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing) and then laughed. It seemed like Jimmy was implying Izzy was back on drugs but I could be wrong. But this was also in Jimmy's bitter phase years so he could've been lying too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Zoot said:

I think it's a combination of too much weed and being sick and tired of being asked about guns. :shrugs:

I remember a Jimmy Ashhurst interview where the interviewer asked about Izzy leaving the juju hounds and Jimmy replied with "Yeah, he was "sick"." (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing) and then laughed. It seemed like Jimmy was implying Izzy was back on drugs but I could be wrong. But this was also in Jimmy's bitter phase years so he could've been lying too.

Oh, interesting he said that. He does look back on drugs in the Juju days, I'm sorry to say. And again I'm not surprised. He literally haven't had time to properly rehab, get therapy, counselling, what have you...  To me he lookes really great and healthy since around 2000 to be honest not entirely before.

He looked very pissed off in the two YT vids from last year. But he also looked really worn out and old. Hope it was just the frustration with the GnR issue (whatever the issue really was) and nothing else.

I wished someone could tell me for sure "no no, he's sober since December 1989. By the way, I think he said that in some interview. But "sober" is only referring to alcohol, right?

Edited by Tori72

17 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

Oh, interesting he said that. He does look back on drugs in the Juju days, I'm sorry to say. And again I'm not surprised. He literally haven't had time to properly rehab, get therapy, counselling, what have you...  To me he lookes really great and healthy since around 2000 to be honest not entirely before.

He looked very pissed off in the two YT vids from last year. But he also looked really worn out and old. Hope it was just the frustration with the GnR issue (whatever the issue really was) and nothing else.

I wished someone could tell me for sure "no no, he's sober since December 1989. By the way, I think he said that in some interview. But "sober" is only referring to alcohol, right?

I think sober can refer to both drugs & alcohol. But it's hard to tell with the GNR guys because Duff; for example, claims to have been sober since his pancreas blew, but we all know he had a pill problem in VR. That's not exactly what I'd call sober? :shrugs: Same thing with Slash, he's claimed to be sober multiple times but then it's come out that he was on and off drugs the whole time.

If I had to guess I think Izzy's been completely clean since the early 2000's and the other guys seemed to pull it together after VR ended (2005ish?) The lyrics to Coke'n are what made me think Izzy still had issues with drugs and that song came out in 2002. But I guess he could've written that song about the early days? We really should have a thread about Izzy's lyrics and what we think they're about. :lol:

And I agree about the YT vids. He seemed sad... but can you really blame him after what his "friends" had just done to him? Those songs were a pretty clear message about how he felt.

Edited by Zoot
typos

3 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

@Tori72 Sober usually means drugs and drink for addicts. If they say clean that means just drugs. As told to me by addicts in England.

3 minutes ago, Zoot said:

I think sober can refer to both drugs & alcohol. But it's hard to tell with the GNR guys because Duff; for example, claims to have been sober since his pancreas blew, but we all know he had a pill problem in VR. That's not exactly what I'd call sober? :shrugs: Same thing with Slash, he's claimed to be sober multiple times but then it's come out that he was on and off drugs & alcohol the whole time.

If I had to guess I think Izzy's been completely clean since the early 2000's and the other guys seemed to pull it together after VR ended (2005ish?) The lyrics to Coke'n are what made me think Izzy still had issues with drugs and that song came out in 2002. But I guess he could've written that song about the early days? We really should have a thread about Izzy's lyrics and what we think they're about. :lol:

And I agree about the YT vids. He seemed sad... but can you really blame him after what his "friends" had just done to him? Those songs were a pretty clear message about how he felt.

Thanks for the vocab answers. :)

Kris, yeah lyrics and also his face... Difficult to explain, he just doesn't seem to be completely sober to me before 2000. Poor man, what a long and hard struggle! Lots and lots of respect for that! Hope he's at peace with his issues now. 

I think Izzy has been sober as long as he says he has. We have no way of really knowing of course, but he seems to have put everything into his sobriety. He did look haggard in the early 90's- like someone who exsisted on coffee and cigarettes and led a primarly outdoor lifestyle (motorcycles, dirtbikes, surfing) without using sunscreen. You can have a terribly unhealthy lifestyle in your 20s and still look pretty good, but that shit takes a toll in your 30's. By the end of the 90's he had apparently become a health nut- no cigarettes or caffeine, he was practicing yoga and meditation (hasn't it been said soemwhere that he's vegan?) and most importantly- he was mostly retired. I think Izzy seemed miserable during the Ju Ju Hounds. Miserable and overwhelmed. Not as miserable as he was with GnR, but miserable. People around him have made it pretty clear he hates the business, and he still had to deal with a record label and promoters and managers and lawyers at that point. His time in GnR was still dragging him into court cases. He participated in a pretty extensive tour- where you have to be in certain places at certain times and which wasn't overly successful in North America. He apparently didn't feel a lot of love for Ashurst and Quintana, since he never worked with them again. He clearly hates doing press, which he was forced to do. In interviews, he only really lit up when talking about his hobbies. Izzy doesn't like to work. When he stopped, he got happy, started taking care of himself and it showed. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tori72 said:

Who can blame him aside from the financial part there's also the possibility of end of friendships. Especially with duff who has said that they have more of a frindship and don't only talk about music. He helped duff just about a year before as duff said and when things we're going up for him he seemed to just have disregarded izzy. Even if he was offered guest spots that's still kinda insulting like telling him that he's not really needed and unimportant. Add the Brazilian interview where it was in a way implied that it was his fault he's not there, wonder how he felt with diffs latest interview where to me it seems he minimalized izzys contribution to afd which is a far cry with what he use to say before. I know that it's been said by multiple people that izzy has no ego but he's still human with feelings so that must still have stung 

18 minutes ago, TheKillerQueen said:

A thread about the meaning of his songs would be awesome. We could go by theme (sex, love, drugs, moving on...), dig into them, try to guess if they are dedicated to someone in particular (dogs, Axl, ex-girlfriends...). I mean, we have a HUGE catalogue only with his solo work :headbang:

Go! That would be really nice :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Tombstoneflavor said:

I think this is the interview where he talks about being sober and having really bad night terrors from getting clean. It seems like it was a long crawl from the residual effects, that could be why he looked so bad-almost high. I think the smoking really took a toll on him and has made him really age. 

I have this one saved for listening calmly one day. I have tried before and give up after a few minutes because I have a hard time trying to understand what they say. It sounds like someone is washing the dishes in the background. :lol:

• Haha 2