Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

A few more Izzy/Slash quotes

Slash on Izzy:

When we first met we didn't click musically at all. lzzy and Axl had a band together. I wanted to get Axl and I didn't want to work with another guitar player because I'd never done it before. Working with other guitar players. I couldn't be in control of what was happening on the guitar. I wanted to get Axl away from lzzy, which was impossible. At the time when I met Axl we started a band and lzzy was in it, but he split to join a band called London. which I had just quit. That was cool, so me and Axl had a band going. That broke up. Eventually Axl joined L.A. Guns. Then lzzy joined L.A. Guns because everybody just wanted to be in a band and be working. That didn't work out and I got this call that said, do you want to come back and play with us? At first I didn't want to do it because me and Axl had been through some bad times together. I did it and worked with lzzy because that's what was happening. It was the only band I could find that I could relate to. If you listen to the record, me and lzzy don't play anything alike. Our sound is completely different. He doesn't play lead hardly at all, but his rhythm style is cool. I was a lot heavier than he was. But we worked it out and it wasn't even a conscious thing. We just played together and eventually got better and better and now we sort of jell more [Guitar For The Practising Musician, September 1988]

I never really have to go, "Izzy, play this part this way." He just plays his thing his own way, and we never really talk about it much. Last night, we went in and took two songs from scratch, just basic chord changes, and worked them into full songs. That's one of the things about me and Izzy working together, he knows where I'm at, and I know where he's at. And that's the way it's always been. I make up something that accompanies his part, and at the same time accents it, and he does the same with my parts. We have that kind of chemistry. We've always been good friends, so for us to get in a room and play is a very easy thing to do [Guitar One Magazine, 2002]

Izzy on Slash:

I don't think [Slash] really wanted another guitar player, but it was kind of a package deal, Axl and I. We had periods where we actually wrote songs together and worked out our parts. There was a little bit more interplay on Appetite than Illusion. He was like a brother, but a brother who really wanted to be out on his own [Musician, 1992]

Originally I don't think Slash ever wanted to play with another guitarist. But we both really loved Aerosmith and the Stones and we just used that idea to make it all work. My favourite band was always the Ramones - just four guys wailing with power chords. At some point he and I hooked up and we started making it work. It became fun, just working with another guy like him, opposites attract, I suppose (...) He's a great guitar player - he'll go, he's a guy if you let him go, he's just off, out there. You gotta reel him in now and then, but that's what he loves to do. Listen to the end of Paradise City, I'm just doing the power chords, G and D. And Slash just goes manic in the last four bars. It's incredible. Those were great times...[Total Guitar, 2001]

I think they are just very different- both personality wise and as guitar player. They have been through a lot of shit but they obviously have learned to value each other as musicians. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

What did You say to Him?

Back when people thought his twitter account was fake and he was trying to prove it was really him, Izzy asked Bernard Fowler for a picture of the two of them.

I tweeted it to him since "Bernard was busy" on tour with The Stones.  And I got that tweet back from Izzy as a response.  Of course, it was soon deleted.  Like ALL of his tweets.

Glad I kept a screenshot just for this thread! ;)

WEIRD!

Edited by KURT19
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, KURT19 said:

Back when people thought his twitter account was fake and he was trying to prove it was really him, Izzy asked Bernard Fowler for a picture of the two of them.

I tweeted it to him since "Bernard was busy" on tour with The Stones.  And I got that tweet back from Izzy as a response.  Of course, it was soon deleted.  Like ALL of his tweets.

Glad I kept a screenshot just for this thread! ;)

WEIRD!

Lucky. I wish He could tweet more often. He has lots of free time :max:

• Like 1

Every time I read that, and other statements like it, I get more and more tired of it. That just makes it sound like Axl needs a carer that can placate him and translate what he's saying. Seriously, WTF? Just fuckin talk to the guy! And if he was so unbearable, why not fire him like they planned to do once upon a time? The way they describe things, it just sounds like they opted to pussy out instead of having a confrontation.

*sigh* Need an Izzy pic to calm my nerves...

eed0b79e01e8cfaa42fc13b5896ab7b6.jpg

Edited by KiraMPD
typo

10 minutes ago, KiraMPD said:

Every time I read that, and other statements like it, I get more and more tired of it. That just makes it sound like Axl needs a carer that can placate him and translate what he's saying. Seriously, WTF? Just fuckin talk to the guy! And if he was so unbearable, why not fire him like they planed to do once upon a time? The way they describe things, it just sounds like they opted to pussy out instead of having a confrontation.

*sigh* Need an Izzy pic to calm my nerves...

eed0b79e01e8cfaa42fc13b5896ab7b6.jpg

They cant fire Him, No one can replace Axl. His Voice is so distinguishable, Usually People will recognize The Band by The Vocalist's Voice. N' You know no one can sing GN'R songs like Axl

Edited by SerenityScorp
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

Lucky. I wish He could tweet more often. He has lots of free time :max:

How weird to essentially retire when you are 31 years old. Even if I won the lottery tomorrow I still think I would want to work- it forces you to stay active, engaged and responsible. My 65 year old father retires next year and is already going crazy just thinking about it. Dealing with other people takes your mind off your own problems.  Isolation generally just aggravates any psychological issues you have. What do you do all day every day?

I have been reading some of Marc Canter's old responses on Izzy and it's interesting. He says at one point that he didn't realize how "fragile" Izzy was.  He also says a few times that Izzy talked to Axl and Beta about how he didn't appreciate the drug stories in Slash's book.  I thought that was strange- it's so well known anyway. The Most Dangerous Band in the World. They were sold that way. They were pretty open about it. It must be annoying as fuck to be asked about it all the time but it's no surprise and nothing new.  That being said- way to fucking biff it by asking Izzy to do videos at his house and telling him that his ex-girlfriend and partner in crime Desi was doing interviews the same day, Marc. Jesus. :facepalm:

Anyway, I found this. Racing Racing Racing away from all your troubles.

I find the relationship between izzy and Duff an intresting one, early last year they seem to be working together on Duff's like a man EP. Duff has played bass on a lot of Izzy solo work, there is a story Duff tells about Izzy jumped on his bike and rode  upto seattle for his birthday which is a six hour journey. So all things considered I assumed they have the most solid friendship out of all the band mates post Guns.

So how do you go from that, to the current situation where Izzy appears to have been left out in the cold, how can two friends not sit down and thrash something out that suits them both? Not blaming either side as I'm sure both have valid reasons but little things lead me to believe there is a big falling out here. Izzys tweet aside, I would have expected Duff to acknowledge Izzys Twitter account when it started, and retweet some of his music announcements if all was well between them.

• Like 3

Maybe Izzy thinks tht His past/ things He did is stupid N' embarassing, N' He didnt want to remember it again N' dont want for Everyone knows about tht

3 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I find the relationship between izzy and Duff an intresting one, early last year they seem to be working together on Duff's like a man EP. Duff has played bass on a lot of Izzy solo work, there is a story Duff tells about Izzy jumped on his bike and rode  upto seattle for his birthday which is a six hour journey. So all things considered I assumed they have the most solid friendship out of all the band mates post Guns.

So how do you go from that, to the current situation where Izzy appears to have been left out in the cold, how can two friends not sit down and thrash something out that suits them both? Not blaming either side as I'm sure both have valid reasons but little things lead me to believe there is a big falling out here. Izzys tweet aside, I would have expected Duff to acknowledge Izzys Twitter account when it started, and retweet some of his music announcements if all was well between them.

He rode to seattle just for Duff birthday??? Why He didnt do like tht to Axl :max:

13 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I find the relationship between izzy and Duff an interesting one, early last year they seem to be working together on Duff's like a man EP. Duff has played bass on a lot of Izzy solo work, there is a story Duff tells about Izzy jumped on his bike and rode  up to Seattle for his birthday which is a six hour journey. So all things considered I assumed they have the most solid friendship out of all the band mates post Guns.

That's the thing, did they all actually talk to each other about the reunion or was it done through middle-men? Would they talk to each other about how to split the profits or would it be done through accountants only? Did they really just want to pay him pennies or did Izzy purposefully ask for an exuberant cut to avoid doing the tour? Maybe Axl and Izzy aren't on good terms atm, thus no Izzy for the reunion?

Did Izzy drive 6 hours for Duff's birthday as a sweet gesture or because he just felt like going for a long drive?

There is just so much weird-ness between these guys, it's unreal. You just never where they stand with each other. Why can't their friendship be at least a little normal?! :facepalm:

Edited by KiraMPD

1 minute ago, KiraMPD said:

That's the thing, did they all actually talk to each other about the reunion or was it done through middle-men? Would they talk to each other about how to split the profits or would it be done through accountants only? Did they really just want to pay him pennies or did Izzy purposefully ask for an exuberant cut to avoid doing the tour? Maybe Axl and Izzy aren't on good terms atm, thus no Izzy for the reunion?

Did Izzy drive 6 hours for Duff's birthday as a sweet gesture or because he just felt like going for a long drive?

There is just so much weird-ness between these guys, it's unreal. You just never where they stand with each other. Why can't their friendship be at least a little normal?! :facepalm:

Fit with The thread title right?:awesomeface:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SerenityScorp said:

He rode to seattle just for Duff birthday??? Why He didnt do like tht to Axl :max:

Because everytime he shows up to Axl's house he doesn't want to talk to him? or even answer his calls?:P

All this reunion bullshit puts me in a bad mood, I'm back to racing drones until the subject changes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jane M. said:

Because everytime he shows up to Axl's house he doesn't want to talk to him? or even answer his calls?:P

All this reunion bullshit puts me in a bad mood, I'm back to racing drones until the subject changes.

I guess Axl only accepted Slash in His house :P 

Lets just talk about weird story of Our Ninja

Edited by SerenityScorp
  • Like 1

https://goo.gl/images/C5ZXHL

is this how I insert images now? Always think this is funny,

KorNaxon has some great Izzy cartoons on DeviantArt, Izzy and the Internet and Izzy got married. 

somebody else will have to post because I can't work it out. :wacko:

@KiraMPD I believe that the reunion must have been discussed between them befor it went to proper management negotiations. I'm willing to bet feelers were put out between all of them, I also think Izzy was probably OK with the idea befor it became something bigger than what he expected, and he pulled out at the last minute. All speculation on my part :shrugs:

Edited by Archtop
  • Like 1