Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

6 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Or maybe he hasn't been sober for 26 years like we think? He's referenced drugs a lot in his solo lyrics so maybe he's relapsed before and that's why he's even more paranoid?

But I agree with the email thing, why not answer the music questions? That's just weird. Wasn't there another Marc interview where he said Axl wasn't happy that Izzy was working on the book with Marc and that's the main reason why Izzy pulled the plug on the interview? On top of the Desi/video thing?

i believe he is sober one of the reasons he left the band..its very difficult to stay clean when everybody doing drugs!

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

From my experience, sobriety is something addicts have to constantly maintain. I think it gets easier over time but if they go back to using, even just once, it's usually enough to put them right back to square one. For example, Phillip Seymour Hoffman was sober for 23 years before he relapsed. He had one drink at a wrap party thinking he'd be ok but, a week later he was drinking non stop and less than a year later he died from a heroin overdose. Izzy probably just doesn't want to put himself in a situation where he could slip up. And since Desi was Izzy's "heroin buddy" (Marc's words, not mine) maybe she's a big temptation for him?

I didn't Phillip Seymour Hoffman has been sober that long. That's really scary after all that time you would think that you'd be ok with a few here and there. It's like a lifelong commitment. 

1 hour ago, Kris_1989 said:

Or maybe he hasn't been sober for 26 years like we think? He's referenced drugs a lot in his solo lyrics so maybe he's relapsed before and that's why he's even more paranoid?

But I agree with the email thing, why not answer the music questions? That's just weird. Wasn't there another Marc interview where he said Axl wasn't happy that Izzy was working on the book with Marc and that's the main reason why Izzy pulled the plug on the interview? On top of the Desi/video thing?

Maybe he got scared that a few questions would lead to more, the way I understood it with Marc it was supposed to be just an interview then it turned into a video interview in his house then with people from his past. He probably thought it's better not to do anything at all preventing it from turning into something else

• Like 2

7 hours ago, annabanana said:

The desi thing is kinda weird for me, its been 20 years at that time since they broke up and 18 years sober. Why would he freak out and it seems desi is ok with him based on her tweets to him. Would there still be temptation to drugs after such a long time? Serious question don't really know anyone recovering or similar I just assumed that its the first few years that's hard and you have to stay away from people causing temptation 

Desi tweets Izzy ? 

I think and have said before that Izzy seems to have some issues with his past self. I think he worked hard to remove himself from the influences, industry and have a calm, stress free life style. I think the problem now, is not really the temptation of drugs or fear of a relapse, but more that it must be really hard to be so connected to your past as many muscians are, that he can never really escape it. There will always be somebody trying to make money from your legacy. 

To come in after so many years out of the public eye his going to get 6+ months of questions about his past, all  the questions the others have dealt with 10-15 years ago, because they had solo projects to sell, the PR was part of the deal. I'm guessing Izzy who seems to hate confrontation, would  have to really want to believe in the reunion and be a part of it to deal with that whole hoopla. A part time guest spot don't seem much of a lure to me, his no longer a share holder, no new creative output,  considering the impact it would have on his life I'm not surprised he bailed. 

Edited by Archtop
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Archtop said:

Desi tweets Izzy ? 

I think and have said before that Izzy seems to have some issues with his past self. I think he worked hard to remove himself from the influences, industry and have a calm, stress free life style. I think the problem now, is not really the temptation of drugs or fear of a relapse, but more that it must be really hard to be so connected to your past as many muscians are, that he can never really escape it. There will always be somebody trying to make money from your legacy. 

To come in after so many years out of the public eye his going to get 6+ months of questions about his past, all  the questions the others have dealt with 10-15 years ago, because they had solo projects to sell, the PR was part of the deal. I'm guessing Izzy who seems to hate confrontation, would  have to really want to believe in the reunion and be a part of it to deal with that whole hoopla. A part time guest spot don't seem much of a lure to me, his no longer a share holder, no new creative output,  considering the impact it would have on his life I'm not surprised he bailed. 

But they don't give interviews. Izzy wouldn't have to answer anything...?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

But they don't give interviews. Izzy wouldn't have to answer anything...?

You could be right. If we think about this tour... they really haven't done interviews.. sure Axl had the China Exchange Q & A  and then there was the awkward as hell interview with Duff.... In a nutshell - they have been really quiet.  I don't think that Izzy, who is famously quiet would been thrown in front of the press if he didn't want to.

Art Tavana has said here; every music journalist in the country would like to interview him but still, would've they been bothering him constantly even if there was no interviews -policy?  

Obviously if we think this way, it doesn't mean Izzy thinks the same way..  (or that other people think the same way - I'm just guessing here)

But after Izzy got sober and left Gn'R he had to do interviews during the time when he was with the Ju Ju Hounds ... was he horrified about doing it then?  Or did he just got fed up with the whole Ju Ju Hounds -thing because he couldn't get rid of Gn'R:s ghost?

That's the curse they all have (if you want to call it a curse) When Slash has toured and released music on his own all these years, for many it could be a consolation prize because they couldn't have Slash making music and touring with Gn'R. (obviously I don't mean that they really wouldn't like his solo stuff  - I'm sure they do.) And the reason Axl released CD as a Gn'R -album, is because he knew that Axl Rose's solo album would get a lot less attention than a Guns N' Roses album.   They are stuck with Gn'R.  And if they don't start making new music, they also are stuck in the past - a legacy act that tours playing old hits. 

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 2

I am not sure if I get what you're saying, @Fourteenbeers and @Archtop? Slash didn't give any interview during the tour. Why would have Izzy? And I also don't get your legacy musings? Izzy's got his legacy no matter if he tours with GnR or not. So - how exactly would that be different?

I don't think Izzy not taking part in the reunion has to do with interviews. It's easy to have a thing in the contract so he doesn't have to give interviews. Apparently Axl never wanted them to give interviews that's why Slash hasn't talked.

I don't think that Izzy has a problem with interviews, talk about drugs, talk about GNR, or touring. We have seen him doing all of it in a very natural way. I believe that each one of this things can be a problem for him depending on particular circumstances. In the talks with Marc it was Desi and the video thing that activated his kryptonite. :shrugs:

Edited by kkferro72
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tori72 said:

I am not sure if I get what you're saying, @Fourteenbeers and @Archtop? Slash didn't give any interview during the tour. Why would have Izzy? And I also don't get your legacy musings? Izzy's got his legacy no matter if he tours with GnR or not. So - how exactly would that be different?

I don't think Izzy not taking part in the reunion has to do with interviews. It's easy to have a thing in the contract so he doesn't have to give interviews. Apparently Axl never wanted them to give interviews that's why Slash hasn't talked.

I think my post was more an answer to Archtop's post than yours. (I should've quoted her instead of you). I was guessing that that even if Izzy doesn't like to be interviewed, that probably wouldn't have been an issue on this tour, because they don't give interviews. So I think we agree on that one.  

The legacy topic wasn't really about Izzy but about Guns N' Roses as a whole and the people who are in the band at the moment.  The band has a great legacy and that is definitely a good thing. What I consider a bad thing is that, IF after this tour the band stays active, instead of making new music, they'll keep touring with the old hits over and over again. But that is something that we'll just have to see - I try not to judge them beforehand. :P

Edited by Fourteenbeers

I don't think Izzy loves giving interviews, but that would be no problem for a tour that has included little to no press. This was probably another Velvet Revolver situation- Izzy wanted to do a basic reunion with the Appetite5 plus Sorum for the first four shows, split the loot equally, and move on. Simple. Straight forward. Make some bank and give the people what they want. Axl/Slash and Duff wanted to do those four shows only as an opening shot towards a very lucrative 130 date, two year tour that Izzy was never going to fully commit to. There was no meeting in the middle. So here we are. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I don't think Izzy loves giving interviews, but that would be no problem for a tour that has included little to no press. This was probably another Velvet Revolver situation- Izzy wanted to do a basic reunion with the Appetite5 plus Sorum for the first four shows, split the loot equally, and move on. Simple. Straight forward. Make some bank and give the people what they want. Axl/Slash and Duff wanted to do those four shows only as an opening shot towards a very lucrative 130 date, two year tour that Izzy was never going to fully commit to. There was no meeting in the middle. So here we are. 

But why the loot-tweet then?

2 hours ago, Tori72 said:

"We put out some cool records and we broke some good ground and we stood some shit up. I just look back and I think that was a great thing, you know."

Yeah, Izzy, I think so too. :heart:

His voice though ... :wub:

I leave for a few hours to watch GoT and the thread is revive. Shame on me

OMG I've never seen this before!!! Couldn't agree more, his voice, damm... :wub:

The whole Desi thing is so bizarre... and I always though on the back of my mind that Izzy relapsed. It's hard to go clean at once and for all after doing that much shit

• Like 1

@Archtop Desi tweeted Izzy a couple times last year letting him know that she was sober and happy now. :shrugs:

5 hours ago, cindy1985 said:

the problem is not the interviews,Desi or something else..the problem is that his old pals didn't behave to him as equal member...i don;t think that he has problem after 30 yeras to talk about bad habits or something else. 

But if that was the only problem wouldn't he be doing something with his solo stuff? That's what doesn't fit for me. We know the big three threw him under the bus but that doesn't explain why he doesn't go out on his own.

Izzy hasn't played a solo show in 17 years.... That's way too long for somebody who supposedly wants to tour. I think Art Tavana actually had a point when he said that Izzy just wants to record music and that's it. He doesn't want a job, he doesn't want any commitment or anything that's going to put any stress on him.

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1

Sorry reading it back I didn't make myself entirely clear, I was trying to say, I think the trapping of the lifestyle, touring, being told where and when, facing fans and not so much the interviews but being hounded for one and the constant attention, is what makes Izzy uncomfortable. I just think he would have to really believe in the reunion to put himself in that position. 

The legacy thing, Izzy will always be part of GnR history, but there will always be people cashing in on that legacy, be it e-bayers. Journalists or who ever, an Izzy story as Art said would worth some money to who ever can get it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, beautifulanddamned said:

I agree with this , this is what I think too, he has been pretty consistent about the afd 5 only and other people has been quoted as saying that its what he wants. Maybe just the first few shows with whatever they were offered divided equally among them

@Tori72 maybe the loot tweet was in response to axl saying he wasn't there at all coz he's unreliable without explaining if it was for the whole tour or just the first few shows. Coz his first tweet was just regarding the April shows so maybe that's just what he meant, I think.

6 hours ago, Tori72 said:

But why the loot-tweet then?

There's no way Izzy would have wanted to be involved in a two year tour. I think his tweet was solely referring to the first four shows. And taken in that context, he's right. They didn't want to have Izzy as part of the main line up and pay him equally. For good reason- they wanted to sell a major tour afterwards. A tour that Izzy never had any intention of being an equal part of. Giving everyone the Holy Grail lineup and then trying to sell a watered down version to people being charged $300 a ticket would have been a very bad business move.  

And in that context, what Axl said in the Axl/Duff interview was also correct. Izzy is an independent spirit. They knew he wouldn't want to punch a clock for 130 3 hour plus shows. Open fields, open planes, open gates, open lands, open sky, open mind, open race. 

Neither of them were lying, they are just coming at things from different perspectives. 

• Like 4

I think Izzy is getting a bad wrap again (Marc's interview). Marc seemed very bitter and disappointed that Izzy didn't participate in his book. He seemed a little too dramatic, and there's always 2 sides to a story. I think Izzy at first was glad to help him, then Marc started changing things (video, his home, etc.). Izzy might have thought he was being set up for a bait and switch. Plus, who knows what kind of history they have. :shrugs: 

I think the tour stuff has been pretty well explained. Izzy hasn't performed in many years, maybe he has a bit of stage fright? That can develop over the years. I'm sure he's sober, but I was just looking at Taz's IG and that dude is a major drinker. I hope Izzy distances himself from negative influences like that, because sobriety is a life long commitment that has to be maintained. He might be cautious with people because of his past. But there are several interviews on YouTube where he is very open about his past and he sounded relaxed. THere's one of the JuJu hounds in Japan and the podcast of the guy from some online I-tunes type company. Probably depends on how he is approached and the vibe he gets from the interviewer. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what Taz has to do with any of this? Yes, Taz drinks... but he lives in Texas far away from Izzy and he seems like a pretty good friend and person. If Izzy has relapsed at some point then he has nobody to blame but himself.

I'm not trying to feed into the Izzy's a flake or any of the other insults that people like to throw his way. I don't doubt that Izzy's a good person. I just think he has more issues than we're aware of. And the reason why I brought up drugs is it's extremely rare for somebody to remain sober for as long as he has and it would explain some of his strange behavior over the years. :shrugs:

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

@Archtop Desi tweeted Izzy a couple times last year letting him know that she was sober and happy now. :shrugs:

But if that was the only problem wouldn't he be doing something with his solo stuff? That's what doesn't fit for me. We know the big three threw him under the bus but that doesn't explain why he doesn't go out on his own.

Izzy hasn't played a solo show in 17 years.... That's way too long for somebody who supposedly wants to tour. I think Art Tavana actually had a point when he said that Izzy just wants to record music and that's it. He doesn't want a job, he doesn't want any commitment or anything that's going to put any stress on him.

maybe he doesn't want touring  solo...but he played with GNR2006 and 2012 and also with velvet revolver.. as for the reunion the money was a good motivation .If he hadn't problem with the reunion he wouldn't  tweet anything about it. i still believe that izzy is the right guy.