Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

1 minute ago, Darkenchantress said:

I believe it was 88 or 89 on a flight to Japan where he was carrying a personal "stash" and Niven asked him to get rid of it so he took it all himself and kinda got into a coma for the whole flight :facepalm: (the article says the coma was 96 hours but i don't know how true is that) http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com.es/2009/04/izzy-stradlin-makes-list-druggiest-rock.html

Oh tht

It seemed like a good idea at the time - saying hello to his father's dog chained there in the front yard. 

His affections enhanced by a goodly portion of brew, Izzy Stradlin leaned over and bared his teeth in a big smile. The dog in turn put his teeth through Izzy's face. 

It was a bad omen for Stradlin's flight to Phoenix later that day. Sitting in his airplane seat, with a hole through his nostril and another hole through his eyebrow, he couldn't figure it out. 

He was playing rhythm guitar for the world's biggest rock 'n' roll band, Guns N' Roses, who were about to play Los Angeles with the former world's biggest rock 'n' roll band, the Rolling Stones. No musician could hope for greater success. 

And yet ... his luck was growing inexplicably worse. He summoned the one proven method for dealing with such cruel irony: double Bacardi and Cokes, of which he downed several while smoking and enlightening the attendants with detailed critiques of their service. 

Days later, he would find himself wishing that someone had just hit him, adding a black eye to his mangled features, adding a little more throb in his skull. As it was, he answered the call of nature. 

Finding the lavatories occupied, he drained his nature in a trash bin in full view of a stewardess. Nothing was said at the time, so Stradlin returned to his seat where he passed out until touchdown. 

Exiting the plane, he was suddenly surrounded by 12 cops and arrested. Thus another set of headlines for Guns N' Roses and another year of probation for Izzy Stradlin, who'd pretty much had his fill of probation from a drug bust in the mid-80's.

Waking up in jail made him change his lifestyle so it was definitely a good thing. 

Stories like that one is why he wishes he could delete all those years the same way he deletes his tweets. :P:rofl-lol:

• Like 4

On 6/11/2016 at 2:10 PM, Archtop said:

I'll give the lyrics ago, please feel free to correct me, some are bits I can't get and me batteries are about to die, this is what I have so far,

I say war, hate,

I say love just can't wait,

In this world of fear,

I say love bring it here,

because of this war, I'm starting to shake,

because of a big war I'm Out the gate

I'm moving along, another highway song,

I'm feeling stronger on down line,

all the simple things you see, they become the greatest luxury,

Let's us raise a glass to being alive.

life, death, I've embraced and .........(burned the nest?)

Strength and fate, you can not underestimate,

because of a big war, I'm starting to shake,

and my cellphone got hot start to bake

Repeat chorus x 2

Listened to Being Alive quite a few times since and I think the opener to the second verse should be 

life, death I was raised and burned the nest. His accent is not the clearest.

I think from his lyrics it's kinda obviouse he doesn't like confrontations.

@KURT19 Hi how are you. the link you posted is interesting, I have no idea if its correct. I don't suppose he lives an extravagent  lifestyle so I guess his set up for life. He's bound to see a jump in earnings as a result of the regrouping, I assume he would still get a %.

Does anyone have any idea what kinda of income he makes from his solo work? I can't imagine it's very much, I'm under the impression money made from downloads is pittance when you consider its somebodys creative work. I wonder if it even covers studio time and paying off the other muscians, or does he pay for that out of his own pocket? You have to wonder why he does no promotional work to raise awareness, doesn't have to be a big management firm, you see plenty of artists promoting themselves these days. Let's face it he has a ready made network to tap into, just needs to be a little savvy about using it. Then again, maybe his just not interested and his perfectly happy doing what he does. 

I cannot listen to Pink Flyod with out being reminded of a misspent youth, I physically cringe if I hear anything from Dark side of the moon.?

• Like 1

Man, that Slash quote about Izzy :facepalm: Slash can be such a snake when it suits him.

On 28.11.2016 at 6:54 PM, beautifulanddamned said:

I have been reading some of Marc Canter's old responses on Izzy and it's interesting. He says at one point that he didn't realize how "fragile" Izzy was.  He also says a few times that Izzy talked to Axl and Beta about how he didn't appreciate the drug stories in Slash's book.  I thought that was strange- it's so well known anyway. The Most Dangerous Band in the World. They were sold that way. They were pretty open about it. It must be annoying as fuck to be asked about it all the time but it's no surprise and nothing new.  That being said- way to fucking biff it by asking Izzy to do videos at his house and telling him that his ex-girlfriend and partner in crime Desi was doing interviews the same day, Marc. Jesus. :facepalm:

Anyway, I found this. Racing Racing Racing away from all your troubles.

Izzy is "fragile"?

I wouldn't have used that word to describe him, but I think I kind of get what Marc is saying.

Your second link (about Izzy talking to Axl and Beta) leads to the same place as the first one.

On 28.11.2016 at 6:32 PM, KiraMPD said:

Every time I read that, and other statements like it, I get more and more tired of it. That just makes it sound like Axl needs a carer that can placate him and translate what he's saying. Seriously, WTF? Just fuckin talk to the guy! And if he was so unbearable, why not fire him like they planned to do once upon a time? The way they describe things, it just sounds like they opted to pussy out instead of having a confrontation.

You should read about this issue in the Women's thread. The issue of Axl always having had or even needing caretakers has been discussed there before. I remember there were some interesting quotes from Craig Duswalt on the subject and Izzy's role in taking care of Axl was discussed as well, I think.

I like the story about Izzy kicking Rick Nielson in the nuts, funny his one of the few people izzy follows on Twitter and directly sent a tweet to. Lol. 

I remember an article that I read sometime ago about how  Izzy use to be quite nasty and somebody you wouldn't mess with back in the day. If I remeber correctly the article was from another muscian, I don't rember who, might have been one of the other LA bands. It was quite damning it talked about his drug dealing. I know this is not much to go on does anybody else remember it.

The Rolling Stones article just reminds you what a bunch of shits they were- perhaps with the exception of Duff, who was probably to inebriated to care.

5 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

Never thought He likes Pink Floyd

I actually read some interview in a spanish magazine from a few years ago and he mentions Dark side of the moon on the Top 5 of his favorite albums (together with Exile on main street and Never mind the bollocks :wub:)

4 hours ago, Slash787 said:

This is one of the best pics on this forum 

Aww, you're too kind :lol: but thanks!

1 hour ago, Archtop said:

Does anyone have any idea what kinda of income he makes from his solo work? I can't imagine it's very much, I'm under the impression money made from downloads is pittance when you consider its somebodys creative work. I wonder if it even covers studio time and paying off the other muscians, or does he pay for that out of his own pocket? You have to wonder why he does no promotional work to raise awareness, doesn't have to be a big management firm, you see plenty of artists promoting themselves these days. Let's face it he has a ready made network to tap into, just needs to be a little savvy about using it. Then again, maybe his just not interested and his perfectly happy doing what he does. 

I cannot listen to Pink Flyod with out being reminded of a misspent youth, I physically cringe if I hear anything from Dark side of the moon.?

I really think that's the case. He just doesn't give a fuck. He doesn't probably need the money and is just making music for the sake of it. It's the way he wants to live his life and I absolutely respect that even though it sucks that I'm probably never gonna be able to see him live <_<

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Darkenchantress said:

I believe it was 88 or 89 on a flight to Japan where he was carrying a personal "stash" and Niven asked him to get rid of it so he took it all himself and kinda got into a coma for the whole flight :facepalm: (the article says the coma was 96 hours but i don't know how true is that) http://chinese-democracy.blogspot.com.es/2009/04/izzy-stradlin-makes-list-druggiest-rock.html

I think Izzy has never talked about that (I guess it's one of the things he wants to forget). The only mention of it I know was in this article/interview from 1990 (and he isn't quoted saying it):

Stradlin's supposed to be on holiday, but today (Wednesday) is this interview and tomorrow's Germany, where he's going specifically to 'have all this new scientific shit pumped into my gums so my teeth won't keep fallin' out.' In between involves going through Customs and this imminent reality is clearly not sitting well with him at all. Though maybe it's just a pathological reaction dating back to a year ago, when on a flight to Japan with the other Gunners and ordered by his manager to get rid of all drugs about his person and Izzy had done so accordingly, sending himself straight into a coma lasting thirty-six hours that almost necessitated canceling the gigs they'd come to play.

http://www.oocities.org/rattlesnake_suitcase/face90.htm

I believe it happened in 1988, because they had postponed the scheduled shows in Japan (they eventually played there in December 88) and there weren't any Japanese shows in 89.

There is also this story from Axl:

''Izzy went back to Indiana,'' Rose continues, shaking his head in disbelief. ''That pretty much explains the absurdity of the whole goddamn thing. The fucking idea of going back to Indiana - I am not even bagging on Indiana - I just know how much Izzy hated it. I went to high school with this guy. It's pitiful. It was the fame of the heroin addiction and the fear of death. When Izzy woke up in New York with EKG pads all over his body and doesn't know how they got there, and knows, 'I think I OD'd last night and made it back home' - that was pretty much it. Before that he was pulling away, but that was the end.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=30

Seems like it was another OD (which also Izzy has never mentioned) and Axl was there. It was probably in 1989.

39 minutes ago, Archtop said:

I remember an article that I read sometime ago about how  Izzy use to be quite nasty and somebody you wouldn't mess with back in the day. If I remeber correctly the article was from another muscian, I don't rember who, might have been one of the other LA bands. It was quite damning it talked about his drug dealing. I know this is not much to go on does anybody else remember it.

Kevin Lawrence of Rapidfire had said he didn't like Izzy because he thought he was bad-mannered and rude. He hadn't said anything directly about the drug dealing though, just that Izzy did things he didn't like.

-------------

And just found this. Never seen it before:

IzzyMisguided.jpg

The story behind it: http://fastfilm1.blogspot.gr/2009/12/guns-nroses-misguided-and-why-i-dont.html

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think Izzy has never talked about that (I guess it's one of the things he wants to forget). The only mention of it I know was in this article/interview from 1990 (and he isn't quoted saying it):

Stradlin's supposed to be on holiday, but today (Wednesday) is this interview and tomorrow's Germany, where he's going specifically to 'have all this new scientific shit pumped into my gums so my teeth won't keep fallin' out.' In between involves going through Customs and this imminent reality is clearly not sitting well with him at all. Though maybe it's just a pathological reaction dating back to a year ago, when on a flight to Japan with the other Gunners and ordered by his manager to get rid of all drugs about his person and Izzy had done so accordingly, sending himself straight into a coma lasting thirty-six hours that almost necessitated canceling the gigs they'd come to play.

I believe it happened in 1988, because they had postponed the scheduled shows in Japan (they eventually played there in December 88) and there weren't any Japanese shows in 89.

''Izzy went back to Indiana,'' Rose continues, shaking his head in disbelief. ''That pretty much explains the absurdity of the whole goddamn thing. The fucking idea of going back to Indiana - I am not even bagging on Indiana - I just know how much Izzy hated it. I went to high school with this guy. It's pitiful. It was the fame of the heroin addiction and the fear of death. When Izzy woke up in New York with EKG pads all over his body and doesn't know how they got there, and knows, 'I think I OD'd last night and made it back home' - that was pretty much it. Before that he was pulling away, but that was the end.

Seems like it was another OD (which also Izzy has never mentioned) and Axl was there.

Kevin Lawrence of Rapidfire had said he didn't like Izzy because he thought he was bad-mannered and rude. He hadn't said anything directly about the drug dealing though, just that Izzy did things he didn't like.

-------------

And just found this. Never seen it before:

IzzyMisguided.jpg

The story behind it: http://fastfilm1.blogspot.gr/2009/12/guns-nroses-misguided-and-why-i-dont.html

Izzy looks so dorky/cute here :heart:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

Interestingly enough, Izzy himself said he has never ODed...

Q: Have you ever had any paranormal experiences?
Izzy: I've had altered state, out-of-body experiences - they were mostly drug-induced. I do
meditation now, though, and I find that very relaxing. You know what? I try to practise meditation
twice a day now and I don't always get it, but I've found that, half of the time, I can get to that
same euphoric state that I used to get with opiates, or very close - and of course, not the hangover
and you don't have to go score and risk your life. It's much better, you know.
I've never OD'ed on any drugs, so to speak, but there was one time, when I'm sure I was probably
close to overdose. When I was first experimenting with opiates, I'd smoked some heroin and I
remember laying down and there was a Who song on the radio in the background, 'Teenage
Wasteland'. I remember hearing this, laying there, feeling very relaxed, and then that keyboard
part came on - dicka-dicka-dicka-dicka-dicka-dicka. On opiates, if you do too much, your
respiratory starts to shut down, so probably what was happening was my respiratory was about to
shut down, but hadn't really, and I remember waking up just agasp - urhhhhhh! - one of those
things, and that was really bizarre - really scary, actually. But then I felt fine and I was living with
Stevie at the time, so we went back, started playing the guitar and drums again, and everything
was cool. That was the closest I ever came to something very foreign to me. It was very strange
and probably not good!

From Metal Is interview, 2001

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Oh man... Why did I go back and read that article? It's so fuckin sad... :no:

With regards to Izzy denying ever having OD'ed (and generally keeping hush hush about his past), I always got the feeling that Izzy is a little paranoid about his past. I can't help but think about the lyrics in 14 years:

I've been the beggar...
I've played the thief

I've been the dealer...hangin' on your street
I was the dog...they all tried to beat

I also recall Alan Niven once stating that Izzy was nervous about his drug-dealing past and Niven assured him that it wouldn't come to light if he didn't want it to...? Others have said that Izzy was the schemer, the instigator. Axl once said that Izzy was always good at scamming his way in. That doesn't seem like someone who is 'shy'. I get the feeling that Izzy was involved in some seriously shady shit back then (not just fooling around as a street kid like the others), which he might think would get him into a lot of trouble if the information becomes public. Thus he keeps a low profile.

• Like 2