Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2021 at 4:21 PM, willl said:

Rick Richards, of Georgia Satellites and the lead guitarist on all of Izzys solo albums from Ju Ju Hounds to present day is going to be a guest on Brandos podcast :headbang:

Awesome! 

Would love to know if Izzy has any plans to release anything soon. Also their process in the studio, seeing as he has been there from day dot. Has it changed over the years, does Izzy essentially arrive with all tracks and it's fleshed out live, average time spent per album - a lot of them have a loose feel (in a good way) and can't imagine its months in the studio.

Also curious how talented musicians ala Rick fill their days, I'm assuming they have some sort of day job to supplement the income (eg. the dude from Mudhoney has worked at Subpop since forever which I assume ticks things over). 

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/21/2020 at 9:44 PM, alanna462 said:

But I’d even love to hear about his journey to sobriety, and what he’s been up to for the last 30 years.

I've always maintained that Izzys book would be the most reliable. It would also be good to hear about the interim years and his process for recording and releasing albums. I seem to recall Fire and Concrete had little to no promotion. So was clearly released for the love of it. 

But woth him being so private its unlikely it will happen.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ssiscool said:

I've always maintained that Izzys book would be the most reliable. It would also be good to hear about the interim years and his process for recording and releasing albums. I seem to recall Fire and Concrete had little to no promotion. So was clearly released for the love of it. 

But woth him being so private its unlikely it will happen.

yeah Izzy just doesn't seem to be the type to write an autobiography. Axl on the other hand, said he is interested, seems like an honest person and with a good memory and he didn't mess around too much with drugs as well. (at least not as much as the other Gn'R members from the classic lineup)

33 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Axl on the other hand ... didn't mess around too much with drugs as well. 

I do beleive it was opening for the Stones in 89 he made a comment about band members (steven) need to stop dancing with Mr brownstone. So even in the 80s he didn't mess about too much. He done Shrooms (my world was written on a trip on shrooms) but not too sure on any others

1 hour ago, ssiscool said:

I do beleive it was opening for the Stones in 89 he made a comment about band members (steven) need to stop dancing with Mr brownstone. So even in the 80s he didn't mess about too much. He done Shrooms (my world was written on a trip on shrooms) but not too sure on any others

Iirc, Axl talked about going on a three week heroin binge with a girlfriend at some point in the 80s. But I'm not completely certain, does anyone remember reading this?

Edited by lame ass security

10 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Iirc, Axl talked about going on a three week heroin binge with a girlfriend at some point in the 80s. But I'm not completely certain, does anyone remember reading this?

yeah I think he said it was heroin for a week with some chick and Zeppelin records playing in the background or some shit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

yeah I think he said it was heroin for a week with some chick and Zeppelin records playing in the background or some shit

I've found the article. It was in RIP magazine in April 1989. Del James done an interview with Axl and an excert is as follows

Are you, as many people believe, a heavy drug user?

I have a different physical constitution and different mindset about drugs than anybody I've known in Hollywood, because I don't abstain from doing drugs, but I won't allow myself to have a fuckin' habit. I won't allow it. I'll have done blow for three days and my mind will go "Fuck no". I'll have the physical feeling of knowing my body needs it, and I'll just refuse to do coke that day. I'm not going to do it, because if I was going to do it, I know I won't be able to hit my goals with what I want to do with this band. I can't let myself get into coke as much as I'm into the band. The same thing with heroin. I did it for three weeks straight and had one of the greatest times in my life, because I was with a girl I wanted to be with in this beautiful apartment, and we just sat there listening to Led Zeppelin, doing drugs and fucking. It was great, 'cause at that time I had nothing to do but sit on my ass and make a few phone calls a day. I stopped on, like, Saturday, because I had serious business to attend to on Monday. I felt like shit, sweated, shook, but on Monday I was able to function. I can't hide in drugs. A lot of people can, but whenever I do any drugs - pills, booze, smack, whatever - to enjoy it, my life has to be perfect - no fuck-ups, nothing going wrong. Otherwise, when I'm high, I'll analyse the shit out of everything that's happening in my life and why things are going wrong. That's not enjoyable. And if I have shows to do, I won't touch drugs because it fucks up my throat. My advice is don't get a habit, don't use anybody else's needle and don't let drugs become a prerequisite to having a good time. Do things in moderation , and just be careful.

Edited by ssiscool
Formatting
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Good news! As it happens to be I am actually writing a compilation of all the band members have ever said and organizing this into thematic chapters. 

Here are chapters about Axl and drugs:

Axl and Drugs (this includes the aforementioned quote on Axl and three weeks on heroin)

Axl Just Says No (about how he later became the most straight-laced of the band)

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...