05/27/17 - Dublin, IE - Slane Castle

alfierose

9 minutes ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Axl was clearly prepared and did a fine gig last night. Not like Axl/DC or Houston but a lot better than Lima and the first japanese show. I hope Axl will improve gig bye gig a use more rasp. So far, a good start...

Clearly prepared? He clearly wasn't and it showed. Once again he's gonna get shredded by social media because of one bad performance of one song. Now everyone will think he's shit and all of his ridiculously impressive vocal work of late will be erased. All because he didn't prepare.

Not to mention the fact that anyone going to the first 3 or 4 shows won't get to experience Axl at 100%. Clean Jungles and Nightrains until about Madrid or Zürich unfortunately.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ags_rule said:

Absolutely incredible gig. Something I never thought I would see. Slash brings out the best in Axl and vice versa. Highlights for me were Coma, Estranged, Jungle, LALD and Sweet Child.

So many casuals in the crowd though who just knew the big hits. Chinese Democracy stuff went down like a fart in an elevator. Had a bunch of posing asswipes in front of me who during fucking Estranged decided they wanted to take selfies and group photos. Estranged is being played for fucks sake! People constantly moving back and forth probably to get other beers. And Slane was an absolute nightmare to get home from. 

I would never do Slane for any band again other than GNR. That says something about how good GNR were and how badly Slane is organised.

Oh and in terms of support acts, Mark Lanegan is the worst I have ever seen. Miserable bastard who looked like he'd rather be sunning it up in California than on stage opening for GNR.

Lanegan is a notoriously miserable bastard. Has been most of his career, probably something to do with the fact he lives in rainy Seattle rather than sunny California. He's not built for the outdoor daylight Gigs. I've seen him a few times and he was excellent. Miserable but excellent... 

To be honest I was expecting Axl to be a little weak, as this was the first show after the break. He wasn't!

Blown away. The band sounds so god damn tight!

Pissed off and jealous for those they 'll have the chance to see them, especially in th EU shows..

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Clearly prepared? He clearly wasn't and it showed. Once again he's gonna get shredded by social media because of one bad performance of one song. Now everyone will think he's shit and all of his ridiculously impressive vocal work of late will be erased. All because he didn't prepare.

Not to mention the fact that anyone going to the first 3 or 4 shows won't get to experience Axl at 100%. Clean Jungles and Nightrains until about Madrid or Zürich unfortunately.

Glad I see them on the last show in Europe

12 minutes ago, AlexC said:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-reviews/guns-n-roses-at-slane-they-look-and-play-so-well-its-like-they-never-went-away-35762934.html

They perform a stunning version of 'Black Hole Sun' in tribute to the late Chris Cornell. Like the sadly departed Cornell, Rose has one of the most raw voices in rock history.

From all accounts I've seen so far, from people who were actually there, they thought it was great, and reception was very positive. I will never understand the neverending negativity here. They did a show and it seems to have been an unforgettable experience for the people there. I would call that a success.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

Glad I see them on the last show in Europe

Yeah he'll be incredible by then. I'm going London Night 1. That's 8 shows in so he should be fine by then.

He'll be better night 2 though, that's been the case throughout this entire tour whenever they have 2 nights in a row.

Edited by AlexC

1 minute ago, Lio said:

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/music/music-reviews/guns-n-roses-at-slane-they-look-and-play-so-well-its-like-they-never-went-away-35762934.html

From all accounts I've seen so far, from people who were actually there, they thought it was great, and reception was very positive. I will never understand the neverending negativity here. They did a show and it seems to have been an unforgettable experience for the people there. I would call that a success.

Underperforming doesn't mean the show was terrible, it's just not even 50% of what he's capable of. It's not being negative it's just being honest. So as the tour progresses and he starts sounding better and better are you gonna say he performed just as well at Slane as he does at like, the 10th or 15th show in to the tour?

1 minute ago, AlexC said:

Underperforming doesn't mean the show was terrible, it's just not even 50% of what he's capable of. It's not being negative it's just being honest. So as the tour progresses and he starts sounding better and better are you gonna say he performed just as well at Slane as he does at like, the 10th or 15th show in to the tour?

You said he'd be shredded to pieces. Sounds negative to me, when everyone there seems to have enjoyed it.

From the bits I've heard yesterday and today, I think he sounded great for the most part.

I've heard from someone who's been to dozens of shows over the years that this was the best gig so far. I'm sure the atmosphere had a part in that, but I don't think they'd be saying that if they thought he massively underperformed.

2 minutes ago, Lio said:

You said he'd be shredded to pieces. Sounds negative to me, when everyone there seems to have enjoyed it.

From the bits I've heard yesterday and today, I think he sounded great for the most part.

I've heard from someone who's been to dozens of shows over the years that this was the best gig so far. I'm sure the atmosphere had a part in that, but I don't think they'd be saying that if they thought he massively underperformed.

He is being shredded to pieces for his performance of Black Hole Sun, a song which he could have easily nailed and probably will if they keep it in the set. But it won't matter, people will only judge him off of this first one.

Also, that review is from the Irish Press. Ofcourse they're gonna give it a good review, they're very proud of Slane and they want it to be a successful and legendary evening. And, to people who don't actually follow Guns or aren't huge fans, Axl probably sounded good, especially in person. But it's still a shame when he half asses it and doesn't do himself justice, it just annoys me because it gives a false impression of the skills he still actually has. So, just good enough isn't good enough when you can do what he can.

• Like 1

Considering security was shit hot its worrying that a flare got set off at around the :40 second mark i know a lot of people will say its only a flare etc but by getting something like that into the arena i shudder to think it could have been something a lot worse. I thought there were no bags & there were pat downs can anyone wweho was there confirm this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gibbo said:

Pity they stuffed it in the last breakdown they do it a bit

Yeah Frank takes way too long to kick into the breakdown. I think it's because Axl chooses randomly when he goes into the "You're gonna die" part. There's no set time for it and Frank seems to have to go through like another 2 bars before he hits the hi-hat for some reason.

5 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

Considering security was shit hot its worrying that a flare got set off at around the :40 second mark i know a lot of people will say its only a flare etc but by getting something like that into the arena i shudder to think it could have been something a lot worse. I thought there were no bags & there were pat downs can anyone wweho was there confirm this.

I think its pretty cool and it looks good.

14 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

Security at the show was really good for me. Backpacks were allowed. I got searched 3 times before getting in. And they searched my bag. 

There's no way to control such a large crowd. Maybe some security half assed it on the searches.