05/27/17 - Dublin, IE - Slane Castle

alfierose

1 minute ago, GNRmello77 said:

Found this from the same uploader as gibbo posted also 4K Estranged! Axl seems to be enjoying himself he is actually moving around a lot and sounds rather good than bad! amazing production amazing band can't wait to see them!

Awesome quality and there best song IMO, but he sounds terrible on It, mainly the second part. Again, It's just my opinion. I know that the past Is the past but It would be nice to get one more performance like the following video, although not likely.

3 minutes ago, ironmt said:

Awesome quality and there best song IMO, but he sounds terrible on It, mainly the second part. Again, It's just my opinion. I know that the past Is the past but It would be nice to get one more performance like the following video, although not likely.

Yeah if only that could happen right? I kinda got used to the way he sings Estranged over the years but god would we all love to hear it the way it once was

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ironmt said:

hes very capable. Or his voice coach is capable of getting him to sound good on anything...just takes some effort 

Just now, IncitingChaos said:

hes very capable. Or his voice coach is capable of getting him to sound good on anything...just takes some effort 

Yeah, no doubt. I just wish that Estranged was the one song that he would devote that little extra effort to.  We need Axl's AC/DC voice on his own material. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ironmt said:

Yeah, no doubt. I just wish that Estranged was the one song that he would devote that little extra effort to.  We need Axl's AC/DC voice on his own material. 

He had 50 days to get it right between tour dates...my guess if we won't see Axl's GNR voice improve until he has to go back into the studio. I see no signs that is happening 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IncitingChaos said:

He had 50 days to get it right between tour dates...my guess if we won't see Axl's GNR voice improve until he has to go back into the studio. I see no signs that is happening 

I agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dar97 said:

Is it me but did the whole American tour have a really crappy atmosphere and rubbish crowds?

Yes, America has the lamest crowds In the world. Our crowds also like to leave early In order to be the first to get out of the parking lot. I never could quite figure out shelling out $500-1,000 for a concert only to end up leaving half way through the set.

2 hours ago, Dar97 said:

Is it me but did the whole American tour have a really crappy atmosphere and rubbish crowds?

Yea but Axl kicked ass on that leg to insure the good reviews. 

I remember watching the periscope for Detroit (first show of the leg) and that moment to me when they hit the stage is still my favorite. Axl was back standing and in Guns, Slash right next to him, Duff's vocals on ISE, and that huge stage...just a beautiful thing and to do it in front of a sold out football stadium. 

This guy at 1:35 is all of us 

Im guilty of it now and so are many others but we've seen too many shows now so the novelty has been wearing off...nothing like the first time you watch these guys. But we watch every show now on periscope and expect something new, it's like going to a broadway play and expecting a different story for the same show. The Not in this Lifetime tour simply has a script it follows and they've done well. It's still great to check out a show in person, I wish prices were better but it is what it is. 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

For me I think he is more than capable of singing whatever he wants. It looks like he is using his clean voice on purpose to to sound like that because thats the way he wants the songs to sound these days. Almost like re-branding the guns songs with this half 'New' Guns n Roses. Whereas when he is with ACDC or Singing their songs he reverts back to old classic Axl. Even on Highway to Hell the other week he was much better than most of the songs the other night. 

I see on Melisa's Instagram photo/message from Slane she says that she is part Irish. Anyone hear the connection?

If I remember rightly in 92 (I was pissed), Axl said that Duff was Irish and he was half Irish himself. Was his connection ever verified or is it assumed that he has Scottish heritage?

5 minutes ago, no1gooner said:

I see on Melisa's Instagram photo/message from Slane she says that she is part Irish. Anyone hear the connection?

If I remember rightly in 92 (I was pissed), Axl said that Duff was Irish and he was half Irish himself. Was his connection ever verified or is it assumed that he has Scottish heritage?

Think Duffs Granny is Irish

You enjoy the show?

3 hours ago, Mark1989 said:

For me I think he is more than capable of singing whatever he wants. It looks like he is using his clean voice on purpose to to sound like that because thats the way he wants the songs to sound these days. Almost like re-branding the guns songs with this half 'New' Guns n Roses. Whereas when he is with ACDC or Singing their songs he reverts back to old classic Axl. Even on Highway to Hell the other week he was much better than most of the songs the other night. 

I think you're spot on. Simply a choice but it would be nice if he took the AC/DC route with Guns 

22 hours ago, slash(dean) said:

What a gig! As much as people are moaning about the setlist and stuff, I thought there was a great balance in it. When I heard Slash & Duff were coming back I was praying that CD would not be swept under the carpet (kind of like what Metallica did With St.Anger and that other album they did with Lou Reed). But to hear them play a few of the songs is great to see.

I have to say though, and I might have just missed it while skipping through all of the pages on here - No mention of how amazing New Rose was?!? I always rated Frank from the 'CD tour' lineup and was delighted that they kept him on because Matt Sorum could never really pull off that Damned cover properly, and Adler probably wouldnt be able for it these days. 

Nice Balance between all of the albums in my opinion, and an absolutely cracking show!

As for Slane as a venue - Any Irish music fan knows how iconic Slane concerts are, but also how much of a pain in the arse the place is to get to and from. This was my first time there and I had been well warned, but in fairness I expected a lot worse. Yeah I was sitting on a bus in the carpark for about 2hrs but Ive heard of people walking 4/5hrs to get home.

Just praying that they do an arena tour with this lineup over the next few years because with the 3arena sounding so well Id say that would blow everyone away!

+1 to everything you've said! I loved the CD songs too, I enjoyed them way more than the recorded versions. They are awesome live and it is beyond cool to have Slash and Duff playing them. The balance between all albums and covers, plus the tribute to Chris Cornell, was outstanding.

21 hours ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Exactly, the same scenario for me for both London shows.. Fuck I'll be pissed if I can't be on Slash's side for at least 1 night

Yeah I found this a bit of a disappointment. Don't get me wrong I love Duff. But I missed out on a lot of Slash's stuff, which I'm only catching up on now by watching other people's videos on here :)

Fingers crossed there won't be the stupid barrier down the middle of GC in London.

20 hours ago, AFD5 said:

Tbh that's a cracking set list there reall is something for everyone hits, cover versions, even an acoustic Patience. 

I'm glad you reminded me about the acoustic Patience - I wasn't expecting Patience and it was amazing. And Axl's whistling!! One of his underrated skills!! ;)

15 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Nice tribute! On a technical level I like Axl's voice here. When he's switching between the high notes and low notes Is when it sounds weird to people. The high notes aren't off by much though, when Axl is on those notes are rounded out with a hint of rasp that gets you closer to that classic Axl high vocals that he had in 06 and could pull off a clean sound...now the note is rounded out by sounding like he's run out of air. Not sure why that is but in a more humid environment like Houston he can hit it. 

Also with AC/DC he compensates this by going up an octave to put more on the note dissipating the weaker notes. I think he could have done the same here but might possibly feel during a tribute that it's not the best time to showcase yourself and instead try to respect the original sound...who knows. 

Beautiful song though, love Axl and Duff singing together. 

I really enjoyed your comments about technical aspects of Axl's singing, I'm not knowledgable on this aspect, it's making me appreciate his artistry even more.

14 hours ago, no1gooner said:

What a fantastic show. I still can't believe the big three were back together and there in front of me. It could only have been better if all five were there. I've seen them every time they've been in Ireland and enjoyed every one. For me it would be hard to pick between 92 and Saturday night. 92 was hayday, Saturday night was longer. 

Almost 3 hours of non stop rock. I echo most of what has been said in terms of energy. They really brought their A game from start to finish. Everyone was on their game, including Frank. Richard is super talented and really compliments Slash perfectly and never tries to step into the limelight. 

Slane is a great venue. The big issue is getting in and more so out, but that's been covered already.

Thought the sound was great, maybe a little off at the start, but soon put right. I am a big fan off all GNR material. I followed NuGNR and really liked Chinese. But is it just me that thinks they didn't work as well as they should live. Can't really put my finger on it, but the mix didn't seem 100% on most CD songs bar This I Love. Also a few times you couldn't hear Axl in the mix and then next line he was way too loud in the mix. Is it that they layer the CD songs with tracks and it's harder to get the mix right. I'm no sound expert so not sure. Just my recollection, but I think they worked better live before, in particular in 06. But Maybe it was that they did SOD and Madagascar back then. But from memory CD and Better also sounded better back then. Don't get me wrong I thought they were really good, but lacking something. Proabably just nitpicking. On a side note, maybe I'm wrong but I guess it's easier to mix the sound at an ACDC gig. A lot of the songs are similar, where as GNR have a varied range of song types.

Great setlist. Long and something for everyone. I got to hear Estranged with Slash live at last. Coma was epic too. Loved Civil War and thought the acoustic Patience was great. TIL with Slash was great also. BHS was a real treat and suits them perfectly. Be a great one to add to the set. And of course the classics were all great too. Would have loved Catcher, but you can't have it all.

Of course casual fans will complain about the songs they weren't familiar with. It's the same for most artists. Sure when an unfamiliar song is played the casual fans go quiet and like it or not it does take a bit from the atmosphere. Bigger stadiums will result in more casual fans, so more of an issue I guess. I can understand it, but didn't bother me though.

Praying they will play an indoor gig here next year and I can get a ticket. Until then I hope you guys that will see them this Summer have a blast.If I win the lotto I will join you. Enjoy every minute, cause it flies by.

Love your review, thanks for writing it. Your comment about 92 versus 2017 is so good to hear for me having just been to my first Guns gig!!

I would so love an indoor gig here too. I was praying for 3Arena last year before the venue was announced. Even Croker would have been better for the attendee experience. Shane sucks as a venue in terms of access and waiting times for everything. On the plus side it's magic visually.

14 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

Hate to admit it but it was pretty good live. :lol:

Can't find it now but I really enjoyed your review of the gig. Where were you standing??

14 hours ago, FallToPieces65 said:

The seeker fucking rocked here!

I had only heard Seeker once before Saturday. It's a crowd pleaser and a great, short 'n' sweet song. It was mind blowing how much the crowd loved it. Axl nailed it vocally.

13 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Can we get a thread of Axl runs 

4:52 in second video...he's moving at a solid 4-5 mph here haha

my contribution 

Ha a thread of Axl runs, brilliant idea! How he can run and sing without getting out of breath I just don't know. I'm over a decade younger than him and I can't even run and talk!!

13 hours ago, OJones90 said:

So here's my story for anyone interested!

OH and to top it all off, GNR Airways was next to our plane @ Dublin Airportl! The stewardess was extremely excited when I was boarding and said it had been there for 4 hours already, she kept checking but no sign of them haha.

MkWk7Sg.jpg

Thanks for reading, good fucking night!!

Awesome review, thank you! So glad you had a good time in little ol' Ireland! I'm still floating on a cloud after it.

10 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Totally. I don't understand negative reviews of Axl's voice after Saturday, especially based on scopes/video clips only. Live he sounds fucking amazing. He is a consummate professional and clearly takes good care of his voice. 

4 minutes ago, Carburetta said:

Beautiful review Money Honey, I was there too and loved it.

Out of likes, thanks so much. Where were you in the crowd??

On 5/28/2017 at 11:05 PM, IncitingChaos said:

It kills live but I agree I think TWAT and Better need to take a seat. I hate the song on the album but Shacklers was a song that was awesome live, and SOD isn't bad live either 

if we have to have a CD song take those spots that would be my choice. CD Shacklers and SOD. But I can't believe You're Crazy has yet to make the set. 

I've been waiting to see Shackler's since the beginning of this tour.. Such a powerful song and pretty sure Slash will kill it.

As for SoD, I will change it with Madagascar. Really missed that one too.

• Like 1