08/13/17 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Estranged Reality

6 hours ago, Benfolds4980 said:

Just got back to the hotel.  Here's my review / experience:

Took my wife to her first GNR show.  I've seen them in '06, '11x2, '12 and '16 (Philly) but she's never been able to make the trip.   I was super pumped for her to experience it. Luckily I read the forum late in the afternoon and saw the info on the curfew or we would have missed the first 30 minutes.  As it was, ISE started as we were walking to our seats which was a bummer as we couldn't really concentrate on it.  Could not believe they were starting at 7:20 - like it was twighlight zone level odd.  Settled in during Brownstone.  The band sounded fantastic.  Axl was on point. Anyone at the Philly show last year probably thought he sounded great then, as did I, but I think he was better tonight.  Had no major hiccups and his voice was strong throughout, rasp or no rasp there was strength there.  My wife knew the whole Mickey thing and also that some videos of his voice are a bit "iffy", but multiple times she was like "woah".  I knew the songs that might sound questionable and he pretty much nailed all of them.  Raspy screams throughout - one particular change I thought was the LALD scream seems to be lesss of a "woah" sound and now legit raspy "roar".  Axl got an A to A+ from us.  Same with the whole band really.  Slash was incredible, wife said he stole the show.  She's not a huge fan of long guitar jams but she was blown away by the DTJ, Godfather, RQ solos, etc.  2nd time seeing Slash for me and it obviously doesn't need repeating that he's completely incomparable in this band.  I enjoyed NuGNR and like ChinDem but Slash is another level altogether.  Duff is the man of course and he had good interaction with the band.  Melissa sounded really good on backing vocals. I have nothing against frank, but I never saw Steven or Matt, but he seemed fine - doesn't add or take anything away for me.  

Setlist was great.  Black Hole Sun got a warm welcome, as did Rosie.  I have the same feelings on the covers as many of us - would prefer taking out a couple and including OTGM and/or Madagascar, but it's al good.  It's a long show and people get their money's worth, covers or not.  "No one" there wants to hear Perfect Crime, per some comments I've read to drop covers and play deep cuts like perfect crime as an example. I'd love it but the average fan would probably rather hear Rosie. I still think KOHD could be 4 minutes instead of 10, but I digress. Setlist is good.

I will echo the sentiments of someone else's post who said the crowd wasn't the best.  I didn't have any issues with people being rude, but apart from 2-3 guys near me who were rocking out with me, there was not as much energy as other concerts.  Everyone seemed happy and lots of people were dancing, but, for example, the cheers after even some Appetite songs were just lame.  The pre-encore cheering was pathetic. Maybe it was just my section (Section A on Slash's side 30 rows back) but it felt a bit.... subdued.  But the band didn't let it stop them.  So in summary: good setlist, great sound, pretty decent venue, somewhat questionable crowd.  Wife was happy, so I'm happy.  Done and done.

I was also in section A and agree that the audience was not as energetic as other gnr concerts. As I said before in another post, I saw them twice last year and this concert was the best. Axl was interacting with the fans and seemed as though he was having a great time. Great concert. They give it their all. The crowd was not the best. Glad you and your wife had a great time. Axl A+. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, axlweave said:

Just got back from the show it was great def got our money's worth. What other band is playing such a long set list. Best birthday ever thanks to my wife

Hey, this was a birthday gift to me also! 8/12. Happy birthday! Great show. 

10 minutes ago, Fansince88 said:

Absolutely incredible show!  This is my tenth time seeing GNR and the third time seeing the NIL tour. I didn't think that anything could top the Philly show last year, but last night was by far the best show I've been to.  Jungle, Coma, Estranged,  Nightrain, BHS, UTLH and Civil War were  the standouts of the night ---perfection. Slash's solos were mesmerizing to watch. There are generations before us who get to say they saw Jimmy Hendrix, Led Zeppelin or went to Woodstock.  Seeing Slash play live will forever be on my list of bragging rights.  He's the best guitarist I ever will be lucky enough to hear in person.

And as for Axl -- yes, I'm going to be that fan who says go see him live. His voice is amazing.  Seriously, what a fuckin powerhouse.  There was tons of rasps, screams and strength in his voice. He crushed it.  And, he is indeed one of the best frontmen that there is.  He runs across that stage like crazed lunatic for three hours and never stops.  He smiles, he's passionate, he engages with the crowd and manages to bring together 30,000 people from the first row to the last seat in the house.  Axl could be enough to carry the show on his own,  but to see the combination of Slash, Axl and Duff together performing live is the stuff of legends.  I hope that everyone gets to see this musical greatness at least once. 

And, to add on to what others have said about the crowd -- I have never seen anything like this.  We were about a 1/3 of the way back on the floor in the $250 area. I'm not even sure if some of the people around me even recognized more than two or three songs.  No one sang along to KOHD, very few people raised their arms and clapped during RQ and even Jungle (which, btw, Axl sang the hell out of) were only moderately appreciated. WTF???  And yet, the band came back and gave that great encore and probably gave way more to the crowd than they got in return. (The only thing I can think of is that Live is from York PA and they had quite a few diehards in my section, so maybe some of those expensive floor seats were snapped up by Live fans who didn't care too much about GNR??)

And finally, did anyone think the final bow was strange?  It seemed to take a little longer than normal tor the band to come out and meanwhile there was a huge push in the crowd to get out. Even if you wanted to stay, there were so many people pushing to get out that it was impossible to stay in your seat.  When the band did come back, Axl looked rather confused as to why so much of the floor had emptied out and I feel bad that the band didn't really get the applause and ovation that they earned and deserved. 

And Happy Birthday to @axlweave and @TLC!  What a way to celebrate. 

I am also one who says you have to see them live. The videos and scopes we all watch does not even come close. I think you are right about the Live fans. There were fans in audience that knew all the words to Live and were having a blast. But audience a bit subdued with gnr. Besides myself and a few others in the row behind me everyone was very still and quiet. I don't think they knew coma or better. Axl runs around giving it his all as does Slash and the band. The crowd was unappreciative of the great concert they were witnessing. Thanks for the Happy Birthday!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Pishy said:

Be glad you are watching videos . Nastiest crowd on the planet . They pissed, crapped and vomited everywhere . Most seemed unfamiliar with the music and I was in the first several rows . I have been all over the states and never seen anything like this . I rather hang out with the banjo boy or a militia outfit in the forrest. Wtf man . They started screaming to fucking leave before the bow like they were getting worked up for a lynching or witch burning.  I heard Reese on NR and Frank, I feel abused . Axl sounded awesome and so did slash and duff . Fortus is pretty badass . I usually get very into the shows but had a really hard time concentrating . The ushers and security were such assholes , they literally stood on platforms and they were not small people. They walked up and down hundreds of times , no exaggeration , saying my toes were past the red line . A lady took up her seat and mine and my friend's seat, then had the nerve to try to elbow us . They were screaming for "one in a million" and I can guarantee they think it means something else. I think they would experience sudden death if someone explained "civil war" to them .  I've met Canjuns in the Louisiana bayou , cowboys  in Texas , the good working folk in jersey , but never have I seen a crowd like this in my life . The guy in front of me was horrified too . I tried to block it out but peoole were only interested in getting wasted , walking around and anxiously awaiting a guest appearance from the grand wizard . I now know exactly which people used to throw bottles at the band . The band has nothing in common with some of their fans , I think they misunderstand some of the songs and are having a different experience . I forgot my tshirt . I'm going to kiss the NYC ground when I return . Glad to see GnR but I need to go to another show asap to cleanse myself 

Wow!!  Sorry to hear you had a bad time.  I was in the back on the floor and had quite the opposite experience....people around me were friendly and everybody seemed to be having a good time.  I know I sure did!!  They sounded great....I'm just sad that it is over😢

The band absolutely killed it and the setlist was more than I could ask for , I saw them twice in foxboro last year and it was nice to see 4 new songs this setlist , yesterday's , used to love her , black hole sun , whole lotta Rosie , axl sounds better than ever and the whole band seemed to be having more fun this time around , I only wish the crowd around us was more into it , especially during some of the faster songs , I felt like me and my girlfriend were the only ones jumping around for some of it and we were center stage row 14 so I thought the energy would be a little more electric from the audience there, but that didn't stop us and we had a blast , looking forward to seeing them again 

• Like 4

I didn't have time to read through, all of these. Was at the show. I'm going to make it short. But the show was great! Though my girlfriend and I were surrounded by some morons, it wasn't a major problem. I heard people around singing along to all of the songs. I think everyone was having a good time. My major gripe is the parking that was there. It was a fuckin mud hole! 

I didn't have time to read through, all of these. Was at the show. I'm going to make it short. But the show was great! Though my girlfriend and I were surrounded by some morons, it wasn't a major problem. I heard people around singing along to all of the songs. I think everyone was having a good time. My major gripe is the parking that was there. It was a fuckin mud hole! 

3 hours ago, Juju Hound said:

Wow!!  Sorry to hear you had a bad time.  I was in the back on the floor and had quite the opposite experience....people around me were friendly and everybody seemed to be having a good time.  I know I sure did!!  They sounded great....I'm just sad that it is over😢

It wasn't a bad time , it was just very different than the other shows. The band was great but the ushers and security were constantly complaining and blocking the view, I had inside isle seats. The vommiting and urinating were disruptive, lol! I talked to a guy outside the hotel last night and he said someone died . That he fell over and wasn't moving and security carried him right in front of the stage and hardly anyone noticed . Maybe he passed out but the guy telling the story said he was certain he died, I hope not. I saw a lady being taken out in a wheelchair but she was wasted and puking on herself. A lady took her pants down and urinated. Another lady hit random people on the head for no reason. Someone else mentioned the crowd was not that into it and I have to agree, they were shoving to leave and yelling to go before the encore so I had a stream of people pushing past who wanted to get out of there so it was hard to watch when people are in your face . Entire isles were pouring out before the bow and yes, I wanted to stay until the end. I tried my best to ignore it all and focus on the band. Always glad to see GnR and will go again for sure. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pishy said:

It wasn't a bad time , it was just very different than the other shows. The band was great but the ushers and security were constantly complaining and blocking the view, I had inside isle seats. The vommiting and urinating were disruptive, lol! I talked to a guy outside the hotel last night and he said someone died . That he fell over and wasn't moving and security carried him right in front of the stage and hardly anyone noticed . Maybe he passed out but the guy telling the story said he was certain he died, I hope not. I saw a lady being taken out in a wheelchair but she was wasted and puking on herself. A lady took her pants down and urinated. Another lady hit random people on the head for no reason. Someone else mentioned the crowd was not that into it and I have to agree, they were shoving to leave and yelling to go before the encore so I had a stream of people pushing past who wanted to get out of there so it was hard to watch when people are in your face . Entire isles were pouring out before the bow and yes, I wanted to stay until the end. I tried my best to ignore it all and focus on the band. Always glad to see GnR and will go again for sure. 

Wow!  that's awful!  I didn't see this going on from where I was...the staff were overwhelmed.  So many rules they posted pre show but no way of enforcing them.  Vomiting and urinating are never a highlight!  uggh! 

Just now, Pishy said:

@metalms I saw Slash's handstand , he has done that at some shows . It cost me an elbow to the rib but glad he was into it, haha!

hahaha!  yes it was a great show which made some of the "other issues" a little more tolerable. I did not see the person who collapsed either from my view point.  Hopefully your elbow to the rib is feeling better my friend!  we all have our concert "war' wounds. :lol:

• Like 2

@metalms looks like you situated yourself well. The strange thing is that the people in the first 7 rows were the most eager to leave. I would say the first 10 rows literally started streaming out.  Security and ushers were super active at the front of the floor, there was a cool guy in front of me who asked a security lady to get off the platform so we could see so she went to a 1 leg stand. Anyeays, the band I would say put on one of their best shows. Axl sounded really good. Slash was just insanely good and Richard is one talented player, of course Duff too. Axl really goes all in for Knockin on Heavens Door, pretty damn mesmerizing. I talked to another guy in front of the hotel who said 2 shows he tried to attend in the 90s were canceled and that he was ejected from Madison square garden on his 3rd attempt to see GnR, so he was happy he finally got to see the band. It was good talking to others who attended , we debriefed regarding the issues then went into a GnR music discussion.

1 minute ago, Pishy said:

@metalms looks like you situated yourself well. The strange thing is that the people in the first 7 rows were the most eager to leave. I would say the first 10 rows literally started streaming out.  Security and ushers were super active at the front of the floor, there was a cool guy in front of me who asked a security lady to get off the platform so we could see so she went to a 1 leg stand. Anyeays, the band I would say put on one of their best shows. Axl sounded really good. Slash was just insanely good and Richard is one talented player, of course Duff too. Axl really goes all in for Knockin on Heavens Door, pretty damn mesmerizing. I talked to another guy in front of the hotel who said 2 shows he tried to attend in the 90s were canceled and that he was ejected from Madison square garden on his 3rd attempt to see GnR, so he was happy he finally got to see the band. It was good talking to others who attended , we debriefed regarding the issues then went into a GnR music discussion.

That makes me sad.  I was telling my friend I would give anything to be up there.  Its a shame some of their biggest fans don't have the bigger bank accounts. Even fans I talk to who consider themselves super fans I am shocked at how little they know about the band..   Made me realize I am a total GNR super geek compared to others :lol: 

It is great to party and have fun, but I never understood why you would want to get so messed up you can't even remember the show... I mean isn't that the reason you are there for the band the music.  If I wanted to get so wasted I would just stay home and puke on myself not invest hundreds and then ruin my time and everyone else's. I agree though best show on the tour I have seen musically and that setlist!  any songs I wanted to hear last year they didn't play they played..

I try not to focus on the a holes but the good people I meet and there are always those good people.  like the two brothers  I saw embracing in philly the one crying because he was so overjoyed to see GNR for the first time... these fans are my people not the jerks who decided to act like a 17 year old at a keg party,,

• Like 2

1 minute ago, metalms said:

Rosie rocked so glad they played it,  saw Axl sing it with ACDC and dare I say I preferred the GNR version! 

The gnr version has some punch to it. I think it's all in the intro. With AC/DC Axl would say the 42, 39, 56 part slow, but with gnr they pick it up and to me it just adds enough to it. The Coachella one was perfect 

• Like 1