08/13/17 - Hershey, PA - Hersheypark Stadium

Estranged Reality

6 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

So cool to see Ax moving so well...He brought back a lot of the old movements and to me, this is the most he's moved around

and looked up for it, in say 4, 5 years ! He obviously was a little inhibited last year with the injury, but in the last month or so

he been much more free and he seems to have a lost a bit of weight (not a lot) enough to free up his movement a bit !
Hopefully by Rio stream, he's cruising around !! Surely we're due a good stream ;)

1 hour ago, The Real McCoy said:

It's my goal, but with my financial situation (and this is with a full time job!), I just can't justify it when I have bills to pay. Maybe I'll win the lottery before October! After rent, cable, phone, electric, I'm lucky to have money for groceries and necessities! I even had to pass on buying a shirt last night since I couldn't really financially justify it!

I've spent far more money on GNR tickets than I should, tbh :lol: I suppose this will sound weird, but it's a priority for me... I spent most almost all of my concerts/vacation fund on 2 pit tickets this year, meaning I'm missing plenty of other shows I wanted to go see, I've lucked out in that I'm paying cheap rent, phone bill isn't bad, I carpool when I can... Like I've told people before - I may drive a beater, live in a basement suite and not own any fancy clothes, but I've seen some epic fuckin concerts :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, colonizedmind said:

So cool to see Ax moving so well...He brought back a lot of the old movements and to me, this is the most he's moved around

and looked up for it, in say 4, 5 years ! He obviously was a little inhibited last year with the injury, but in the last month or so

he been much more free and he seems to have a lost a bit of weight (not a lot) enough to free up his movement a bit !
Hopefully by Rio stream, he's cruising around !! Surely we're due a good stream ;)

Estranged to me is the craziest. He runs around like he's reshooting the music video 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chevelle said:

I'm so happy I pulled the trigger on going to this show. I haven't really actively followed this band since...probably 2011 or so, when I finally got burnt out on the Chinese Democracy era completely stalling out and the band becoming a Vegas act. But with the rumors going around that it might be the "last" tour, and the fact that it was fairly close by...I had to. 

Fucking great decision. Despite not really listening to or following them for years, it's amazing how quick it all comes back. I still know every word, every riff, every fill...and even better, everything ended up being a surprise for me. So every time a song like Coma or Estranged or DTJ started, I lost my mind because after years of following the CD line up, I never dreamed I'd get to hear these songs played live, and by most of the original line up. And as an old CD era fan, it makes me feel really fucking good that at least a few of those songs still get some representation in the set...especially Better, since I always thought it and TWAT were the best CD songs. I don't know if that's just Axl's directive that they play them, or if the original guys just think those songs are worth playing, but I really hope it's the latter.

Axl sounded about how I expected...sorta Mickey-ish, occasional rasp, but still pretty much on-key. You can tell he's definitely never gonna have even that '06 or '10 sound back, but he does what he can and sounds pretty solid most of the time. Slash and Duff are so fucking tight, on the other hand. They have such distinct playing sounds and I realized that I was sort of tricking myself into thinking they weren't missing from the live sound back in the CD days. It's so much easier to sit through a Slash solo in between songs, too, haha. And I'm happy to see Fortus holding his own with these guys, he's really stepped up and he's a really great fit in this line up (and I was pretty shocked to see him doing the sweep picking bits on Better). I didn't really notice Melissa's prescence much outside of the occasional background vocals, but she has a really good voice and adds a nice element when she does shine through the mix. And Frank's been getting a lot of shit, but IMO, I thought he was competent...a little heavy handed at times, but whatever, I never exactly thought Sorum or Adler were the golden standard of drummers either and he can play the songs.

But all in all...I definitely got my money's worth from these guys. I never thought I'd be getting a three hour show and I enjoyed every minute of it (outside of the drunks that came and shoved their way into my seat halfway through the show and left three songs later). It's a dream come true to see this line up, and 14 year old me is probably flipping out somewhere inside me, lol. 

All these great reviews, and has even 1 mentioned Dizzy?  Was he there?  :monkey:  <--- I was gonna put a Dizzy emoticon, and there isn't one, but Bumblefoot & Finck have two each.  OK then.  :lol:

56 minutes ago, triad said:

All these great reviews, and has even 1 mentioned Dizzy?  Was he there?  :monkey:  <--- I was gonna put a Dizzy emoticon, and there isn't one, but Bumblefoot & Finck have two each.  OK then.  :lol:

Heh, I realized I left him out, but I also really didn't have anything to say about him since he was on point as usual and I felt like I was already rambling on too long :P He was most assuredly there, haha

• Like 1

@Black Sabbath thanks, I will have to check that camera out, in the market for one. The photos you took with your phone are great! I have some decent ones from Apollo but just a few, I was so shocked with happiness I didn't want to interrupt my zone.  I took a few last night, not sure what the hell they are, lol!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

I'll never understand why Estranged isn't more widely recognised as the masterpiece that it is. It's bullshit how the Illusion records are largely dismissed by a lot of the public, there's a bunch of absolute classics on there.

It Is without a doubt the best GNR song IMO. No lie, I have literally spent hours listening to different live versions, on many occasions. 26 years and It still sounds as good today as It did the day It was released.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

Hmm, best ever? That's a tough call. Even a Top 5 is too hard, mine might be(in no particular order)...

Estranged
Coma
Patience
The Garden
Locomotive

What's yours?

I would have to go with

1. Estranged

2. Rocket Queen

3. November Rain

4. Locomotive

5. Breakdown

I actually like a lot of material on the Illusion albums that most people would consider filler, such as Shotgun Blues, Perfect Crime, Garden Of Eden, Right next door to hell, You ain't the first, Don't damn me and 14 years. 

They just have so many great songs that there rarely seems to be a need to skip to the next song.

7 minutes ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@ironmt You are literally only the second person so far on this forum who likes Shotgun Blues - YES! I am not alone!  

I already gave my reasons for liking it in another thread but I still can't believe quite how much nobody likes it.  

This Is Axl pissed off. What's not to like?

You say I walk a line 
Fuck they move it every time 
You walk a mile in my shoes 
And then you tell me 'bout singin' the blues 
You get what you pay for 
An freedom's real high priced 
An while your rippin' off children 
Somebody's fuckin' your wife 

I'll stick it right in your face 
And then I'll put you in your motherfuckin' place

Listen motherfucker 
You're about to pay your dues

I am also glad to meet another fan who enjoys the song.

33 minutes ago, ironmt said:

This Is Axl pissed off. What's not to like?

You say I walk a line 
Fuck they move it every time 
You walk a mile in my shoes 
And then you tell me 'bout singin' the blues 
You get what you pay for 
An freedom's real high priced 
An while your rippin' off children 
Somebody's fuckin' your wife 

I'll stick it right in your face 
And then I'll put you in your motherfuckin' place

Listen motherfucker 
You're about to pay your dues

I am also glad to meet another fan who enjoys the song.

I dig it too. Much more when I was younger, but it's still in my rotation when I'm pissed off or working out. Like you said, pissed off Axl is great!

• Like 1

Just now, mikeman5150 said:

I dig it too. Much more when I was younger, but it's still in my rotation when I'm pissed off or working out. Like you said, pissed off Axl is great!

I agree, It was better In the teenage years, but I certainly don't skip It when It comes on. Love the drums as the song starts.

• Like 1

Listen motherfucker you're about to pay your dues is my favourite lyric from that song because he delivers it with such a fantastic rhythmic cadence that I find mesmerising.  As pissed off as he is, there's a black humour that comes through too, which I think stems from the 'punkness' of it and the way he sings it (I can find humour in nearly all of their songs).  

My other favourite lyric is Me? I just like to dance, because I find it damn funny.  It's very tongue -in-cheek, a sort of 'innocent' line on its own but sung aggressively.  And how can anyone not like Duff's kickass intro?  

I do find it interesting that so many associate it with teenage angst, as if adults don't get fucking pissed off.  But maybe that's because I was pretty happy in my teenage years and found anger later in life! ha! 

Edit: We really need a YUI Appreciation Thread.  ^^

Edited by MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ironmt said:

It Is without a doubt the best GNR song IMO. No lie, I have literally spent hours listening to different live versions, on many occasions. 26 years and It still sounds as good today as It did the day It was released.

It's funny. My 10yo daughter just asked me last night what my favorite GNR song is. I had to think for a minute then told her Estranged. She asked why and all I could say was I don't know, I just like the way it makes me feel!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, triad said:

All world put DIZZY in "mode ignore" 😧😢

56 minutes ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Is it confirmed that "Shotgun Blues" is about Vince Neil- or just an old rumor? Whatever the case- always adds to my entertainment listening to the song when I think of Axl dissing Vince.😂

Izzy fuck with the wife of Vince, maybe yes 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MyPrettyTiedUpMichelle said:

@ironmt You are literally only the second person so far on this forum who likes Shotgun Blues - YES! I am not alone!  

I already gave my reasons for liking it in another thread but I still can't believe quite how much nobody likes it.  

I like Shotgun Blues, too. Far more than November Rain actually...

• Like 2