08/16/17 - Buffalo, NY - New Era Field

Estranged Reality

9 hours ago, wondering where's izzy? said:

The show had some highlights like Axls talking but honestly it was pretty horrible compared to the shows I saw last year. 

You seem to be in the minority big time. I saw the band 4 times last summer and the gig in Hershey the other night they sounded better than any of the last year shows I caught.  (Including Philly which is regarded as one of the best from last year)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pishy said:

You have to go! Msg has horrid acoustics, but there are a few other East coast shows.im not making buffalo either and feel sad about it but Hershey was just Sunday and blah blah, we all have problems . You have to make a show, I think Boston might but good , msg is like a highschool basketball gym, maybe that's insulting the gym.

I am still going to the Boston show :) I would have traveled to a few others if prices weren't so high is what I was saying

Was an amazing experience to grab $25 nosebleed Groupons on Monday, arrive at the show and be moved to the 11th row of the lower bowl.

Show was outstanding and the experience of being outside on a perfect August night for GnR made it even better.

Slash was didn't stop playing for 3 hours and I think this was the best I have ever seen him.

I have nothing bad to say about the show at all but some observations vs the July 2016 Toronto show......

- Axl's 2017 voice was just not what it was in 2016.....this is only my opinion based on seeing both shows.

- The energy on stage from the performers in 2016 was higher.  I'm sure after playing so many shows it is hard to keep up the energy level night after night.

- Love the even longer setlist, it seems like they just keep adding songs and don't have the heart to remove others.

- Cool to see a Soundgarden cover. Although Axl is awesome singing GnR tracks, he is no Chris Cornell.  Not sure if it is a good idea for GnR to do some some Velvet Revolver songs that many on here have suggested.

- I would say that only 10% of the crowd last night has ever heard Coma.  They really nailed Coma tonight but the crowd just seemed confused, lol.

- Musically the band seems much more cohesive in 2017.

- Axl stole the 2016 show, Slash is the highlight of the shows in 2017.

Edited by Maynard James Keenan
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, GoBucky said:

I agree, I've blown through a lot of money since last April, but I dont regret it because Ive loved every show Ive attended. I figured the arena prices would be lower but they're not and that's insane...especially since the production is much smaller. The main reason that a huge city like Chicago isn't sold out yet is because of the prices. 

Same here.. Boston isn't sold out either.. I know a good amount of people personally that aren't going because of the prices.. It is pretty telling when you see that the farther balcony seats sell out first and there are still plenty of floor seats and lower bowl seats for the taking.. Telling and sad really.

Come show time prices will drop and the seats will be filled but it still screws over the big fans that pay the high prices up front for fear of missing out..

I have driven to New Jersey to see Camp Freddy and Velvet Revolver.. I would have certainly done that for Guns if the tickets weren't so high.. The lineup is a factor as well.  If I felt it was more of a legitimate one, I might have been willing to dish out a bit more than I have.

Bottom line is the are getting rich as fuck and don't give a shit either way though.. :/

I didn't plan on doing pit, for this show or any other really since I'm so against their ticket prices nowadays. But after a few people bailed, @downzy strong-armed me into doing pit with him. I must say it was fun for sure, but I never need to do it again at those prices. If they drop a bit on the next tour, then we'll talk.

Anyways, it was a solid setlist - New Rose and Black Hole Sun were new for me, Yesterdays was the first I saw it with this lineup, and My Michelle I haven't seen since The Ritz show, so those were all welcome. I've gotta say though, I thought Yesterdays was much better with the new band in 2014 - I thought Slash's solo on it was absolutely horrible. It was great to see Axl so chatty and just in a great mood in general - there were a few times he was goofing around with people in the crowd. 

Despite having a great time, I still don't see a strong love between Axl and Slash that some people think is there. I've had at least a few people tell me when I voice that opinion that "Oh, well you've got to see the show from up front before you can judge that". Now I've seen a show from up front and sorry, I'm still of the same opinion. I see Duff and Slash connecting well, and I see Duff and Axl connecting well - not so much for Axl and Slash. What I see is very much a working relationship, a la David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen, or Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Doesn't mean they aren't putting on great shows, but I'm not convinced that they're doing it because they genuinely enjoy playing together. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Bottom line is the are getting rich as fuck and don't give a shit either way though.. :/

Another observation of 2016 vs 2017 is that Tom-Ass is still doing the same thing a year later.  Complaining about everything.

We are lucky to even have GnR shows to talk about in 2017.  And a band that "don't give a shit" doesn't do a 3 hour show for a half full stadium like they did last night.

Edited by Maynard James Keenan

I too have thoughts on last nights show compared to Toronto 2016

-The "full on mickey" assessment is just...wrong. Whoever said that. He sounded great for the most part. A few blips but that happens.

-The crowd was pretty good. They got into it. I know there were a ton of first timers there and people bringing kids and parents who got sitters for the night. So you cant expect it to be pure insanity. Those were expensive tickets. 

-Axl was indeed pretty cheery. He ripped on trump a little (something like "im trying to redeem myself like trump, and also failing, like trump), made a snow joke. the Coma nugget was cool and during band intros he made a joke like "Slash is waiting for me to shut my fuckin mouth). It was good to see. Im still convinced they're more like coworkers than friends. 

-The CD songs just make people check their phones and go get beer. I get why they play them but there's no denying there's an energy suck when they come on. 

-The Slower stuff seemed to sound the best. Estranged, NR, Patience (he absolutely nailed the final note. held it for like 10 seconds. Crushed it). 

-I did find myself saying "man if they just removed a jam, the Seeker and cut 3 mins off of KOHD, we might have been able to hear Don't Cry"

-Axl sounded better than the TO show, but I will agree to whoever said Slash's energy level was a little lower. His playing was expectedly spectacular, but the running around wasnt as prominent. 

-Have other stadiums been not selling the top bowl at all? The top section was totally empty, but possibly by design. 

-I went with a long time GNR fan who this was his first show, and he thought it was amazing. I think we as hardcore fans get too caught up in the bubble and analyze things too much. This show is for people who havent seen them a ton and dont follow the forums. It works for that purpose. 

Edited by bt88
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I've gotta say though, I thought Yesterdays was much better with the new band in 2014 - I thought Slash's solo on it was absolutely horrible.

Melissa should do the Tracy and Roberta backing vocals on "Yesterdays" - it would add to it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Despite having a great time, I still don't see a strong love between Axl and Slash that some people think is there. I've had at least a few people tell me when I voice that opinion that "Oh, well you've got to see the show from up front before you can judge that". Now I've seen a show from up front and sorry, I'm still of the same opinion. I see Duff and Slash connecting well, and I see Duff and Axl connecting well - not so much for Axl and Slash. What I see is very much a working relationship, a la David Lee Roth and Eddie Van Halen, or Mick Jagger and Keith Richards. Doesn't mean they aren't putting on great shows, but I'm not convinced that they're doing it because they genuinely enjoy playing together. 

I've thought this for a while now, and I seem to be in the minority.  Glad someone else has noticed.  Clearly, they're mature enough now to have put certain things behind them for the sake of appearing professional on stage.  I don't think Slash thinks much of Axl at all.  I don't know why I think this, just a feeling.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Come show time prices will drop and the seats will be filled but it still screws over the big fans that pay the high prices up front for fear of missing out..

Which is exactly why they price it that way.  For example, let's take a seat that they are asking $250 that will drop to $150 by show time.  There are some percentage of people willing to pay $250 to lock up that location now so they get an extra $100 for everybody who is willing.  If they started out selling for $150 then scalpers would buy some percentage and sell them to the same people that are willing to pay $250 for that location.  Now the scalper made $100 instead of the promoter/band.

This whole pricing scheme and the platinum ticket thing that ticketmaster does is to try and get the revenue for themselves that the scalpers would get.  Eventually, the show ends up filling up at the prices the market is willing to pay.  With the price adjustments, the Miami show this year sold over 10,000 tickets in the last 3.5 weeks before the show.  At 3.5 weeks out it looked like the show would be pretty empty.  By show time it was close to sold out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Maynard James Keenan said:

Another observation of 2016 vs 2017 is that Tom-Ass is still doing the same thing a year later.  Complaining about everything.

We are lucky to even have GnR shows to talk about in 2017.  And a band that "don't give a shit" doesn't do a 3 hour show for a half full stadium like they did last night.

Whatever dude... You don't know shit.. I don't complain about everything.. The majority of my posts are positive, you just choose to focus on the negative ones.. I was also just replying to a subject that other fans brought up, so don't just single me out prick. The just don't give a shit comment was only referring to the fact that the tickets are way over priced. This is something that most agree on... 

• Like 2

Amazing show, very glad I went. Haven't seen them live since about March 1993 (Hamilton Ontario IIRC). Of course I've seen lots of the reunion videos online.

Axl for the most part IMO didn't sound spectacular, but he's a lot older and that was a really long show (3 hours?)

I was 25 years younger last night, it was great. I was jumping around for at least 90 minutes pretty hard.

I was impressed with Axl on Live and Let Die, I thought that was a great version. Loved the stage effects at the end of November Rain (and Paradise City).

The crowd overall seemed pretty cool.

I was on the floor in the middle, maybe 27 rows back? Close enough to watch the show and not the screens for the most part.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BillC said:

Amazing show, very glad I went. Haven't seen them live since about March 1993 (Hamilton Ontario IIRC). Of course I've seen lots of the reunion videos online.

Axl for the most part IMO didn't sound spectacular, but he's a lot older and that was a really long show (3 hours?)

I was 25 years younger last night, it was great. I was jumping around for at least 90 minutes pretty hard.

I was impressed with Axl on Live and Let Die, I thought that was a great version. Loved the stage effects at the end of November Rain (and Paradise City).

The crowd overall seemed pretty cool.

I was on the floor in the middle, maybe 27 rows back? Close enough to watch the show and not the screens for the most part.

I thought he sounded great.

I had more fun in pittsburgh last year, but this show was awesome too. 

Lots of dbags in the crowd, at least where I was.  A fight, tons of people mocking and being dicks for security for no reason.  Just a bunch of drunk dicks.

53 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I can certainly see what you are saying having been in the pit for Miami.  Honestly, Slash seems to be in his own "guitar playing trance" which is great because he is playing amazingly.  I don't think Slash and Axl really interacted that much during the UYI days either.  Axl was running around the stage like he was on every stimulant known to man and some that weren't known.  Slash would be playing and doing his own thing on other parts of the stage.

If they have a good working relationship and can manage to work on some new music, that will be fine with me.  The reason that they lived together and spent so much time together in the early days is because they couldn't afford to do anything else.  I don't think many bands hang out together all the time after the first few years of their existence.  Joe Perry and Steven Tyler seem to have a love/hate relationship and a good working relationship.  They keep putting out new stuff every so often and keep touring even after Tyler went on his strange country solo project.

• Like 1