2018 Travel Thread

Gracii Guns

7 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I wanted to book an Air BnB for three nights in September for me and my groomsmen surrounding my wedding. Unfortunately after hidden fees and things, the price is twice what is advertised. Feels like it was a big waste. I wanted to be somewhere near the church and have a backyard grill so we could cook out and have some brewskis. I'm tired of shelling out exorbitant fees for every damn thing about this wedding. Looks like I'll be crashing on my parent's floor :lol:

Congrats Deeds! Weddings can definitely get pricey, wish you the best of luck and happiness! 

• 4 weeks later...

I've been seeing more of Scotland again this year, always continues to amaze me how beautiful this country is :) Went to a place called Carrbridge in the Cairngorms, spent a few nights in Ullapool which was really nice, and also met up with an old friend in Perth.

2wnmgas.jpg

^ Random "heather garden" I found on my travels, it was so nice I had to take a photo so I can try reproducing a similiar look in my own garden. I'm so old :lol:

• Like 4

Off on my first trip of the year tomorrow. A quick stop in London to see The Stones, a couple days in Brussels, and then doing the first six gigs of the Maiden tour in Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Trondheim, and Copenhagen. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Off on my first trip of the year tomorrow. A quick stop in London to see The Stones, a couple days in Brussels, and then doing the first six gigs of the Maiden tour in Tallinn, Helsinki, Stockholm, Trondheim, and Copenhagen. 

I’m in London today — sorry I’ll be missing you. Enjoy the show.

31 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

Bummer! I'll be back in the UK in August for 7 more shows though, would be fun to meet up if our schedules align at all. 

Yeah, definitely - I don’t have any plans for August so let me know where you’ll be 

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Trondheim? I didn't even know they are playing here :lol: Let me know if you need any suggestions.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Trondheim? I didn't even know they are playing here :lol: Let me know if you need any suggestions.

I'll only be in town the day of the gig really - driving up from Oslo the day before. Anything worth seeing/doing? Anywhere worth eating?

56 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I'll only be in town the day of the gig really - driving up from Oslo the day before. Anything worth seeing/doing? Anywhere worth eating?

Go to a Starbucks in Grünerløkka (in Oslo) and ask for a dark, black regular coffee. :D

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

You will be driving up? That's a seven hour drive from Oslo, just so you know. Drive up Gudbrandsdalen (the Gudbrand's Valley) and over Dovrefjell (Dovre Mountain), it is more scenic than to the drive Østerdalen (The Easter Valley), although it is a tiny bit longer. At Dovre you might see Musk Ox.

There is not that much to see and do in Trondheim. If the weather is nice you can take a boat from Ravnkloa (harbor in the city) out to Munkholmen (a little island in the Trondheim's fjord). You can also visit our Cathedral and walk around the Baklandet parts of the city which is neat. The city is small so you can basically walk all around it and get to see everything in a day.  You can also walk up to Festningen, the small white-chalked fortress that overlooks the city, there is a park around it. If you want to explore a bit outside of Trondheim you can take the tram from the city center to Lian, an old farmstead just out of Trondheim (25 minutes with the tram) which is a popular recreational area and if the weather is good there will be lots of people barbequing and bathing at Lian lake. 

If you like fishing I believe the salmon fishing in Nidelva (the River Nid) that meanders through the city has started. I don't know where to get permits, though, but that should be simple. Fishing in the ocean is always allowed without permit, but most people won't eat the fish caught if you fish from the city itself (better to drive for an hour or so from the city to get away from any pollution).

The most popular area for dining, especially when the weather is good, is Solsiden (The Sunny Side). It used to be an old wharf but has not been repurposed into a restaurant/bar area. Very popular on sunny days! Some good restaurants there, like NordØst. For really good eating you will have to visit the restaurant Credo not far from Dalhs Arena where IM will be playing, But this is fine dining and the prices reflect that. They opened this year and we expect 1 or 2 Michelin stars next year. There is also a large variety of various restaurants downtown. For traditional Norwegian cuisine, there is a place at Baklandet, but I can't remember the name. The big TV tower also has a restaurant. The food is just so-so but the views are great, and the restaurant turns slowly around (one revolution per hour).

For drinking you have Solsiden, and there are a few tap rooms scattered around, like Øx at the town square. There is also a very funny place at Bakklandet called Naboen (The Neighbor) with good variey, in one of the old, and rather leaning, wharf houses by the river. Gin and coctails in general are in vogue, so you find some of these places around, too. One of my favorite places, and a proper rock bar, is Fru Lundgreen's (Mrs. Lundgreen). It is in a cellar in one of the oldest houses in the city, not far from Solsiden. It is like a little dungeon. Expect lots of hair and drunkenness.

What else? You have been in Norway before, I believe, so you know if will be expensive. It's June so most students will have finished their semester and left the city (unfortunately, they are a lovely, lively bunch), but some will be our celebrating the last of their exams. 

19 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You will be driving up? That's a seven hour drive from Oslo, just so you know. Drive up Gudbrandsdalen (the Gudbrand's Valley) and over Dovrefjell (Dovre Mountain), it is more scenic than to the drive Østerdalen (The Easter Valley), although it is a tiny bit longer. At Dovre you might see Musk Ox.

There is not that much to see and do in Trondheim. If the weather is nice you can take a boat from Ravnkloa (harbor in the city) out to Munkholmen (a little island in the Trondheim's fjord). You can also visit our Cathedral and walk around the Baklandet parts of the city which is neat. The city is small so you can basically walk all around it and get to see everything in a day.  You can also walk up to Festningen, the small white-chalked fortress that overlooks the city, there is a park around it. If you want to explore a bit outside of Trondheim you can take the tram from the city center to Lian, an old farmstead just out of Trondheim (25 minutes with the tram) which is a popular recreational area and if the weather is good there will be lots of people barbequing and bathing at Lian lake. 

If you like fishing I believe the salmon fishing in Nidelva (the River Nid) that meanders through the city has started. I don't know where to get permits, though, but that should be simple. Fishing in the ocean is always allowed without permit, but most people won't eat the fish caught if you fish from the city itself (better to drive for an hour or so from the city to get away from any pollution).

The most popular area for dining, especially when the weather is good, is Solsiden (The Sunny Side). It used to be an old wharf but has not been repurposed into a restaurant/bar area. Very popular on sunny days! Some good restaurants there, like NordØst. For really good eating you will have to visit the restaurant Credo not far from Dalhs Arena where IM will be playing, But this is fine dining and the prices reflect that. They opened this year and we expect 1 or 2 Michelin stars next year. There is also a large variety of various restaurants downtown. For traditional Norwegian cuisine, there is a place at Baklandet, but I can't remember the name. The big TV tower also has a restaurant. The food is just so-so but the views are great, and the restaurant turns slowly around (one revolution per hour).

For drinking you have Solsiden, and there are a few tap rooms scattered around, like Øx at the town square. There is also a very funny place at Bakklandet called Naboen (The Neighbor) with good variey, in one of the old, and rather leaning, wharf houses by the river. Gin and coctails in general are in vogue, so you find some of these places around, too. One of my favorite places, and a proper rock bar, is Fru Lundgreen's (Mrs. Lundgreen). It is in a cellar in one of the oldest houses in the city, not far from Solsiden. It is like a little dungeon. Expect lots of hair and drunkenness.

What else? You have been in Norway before, I believe, so you know if will be expensive. It's June so most students will have finished their semester and left the city (unfortunately, they are a lovely, lively bunch), but some will be our celebrating the last of their exams. 

Yeah, I know it-s a bit of a hike from Oslo. But remember I'm American, so a 7 hour drive is nothing ;) I'll look at taking that route - we wanted to do some sightseeing on the way up if there was anything worthwhile anyways. 

I figured it was a small enough to see the whole city in a day. Even in Bergen, one day for sightseeing is plenty. I'll try to check all that out :)

Yes, I'm plenty prepared for Norway to be expensive. Luckily I'll only be there the two days :lol: 

On 5/19/2018 at 4:47 AM, Powerage5 said:

I'm going to see the Stones in Edinburgh :headbang: First time seeing them live so can't wait.

2 hours ago, AslatIE said:

Heading out to Italy in a few weeks, I'm going to be a few km away from Firenze Rocks when GNR hits the stage. Won't be attending the show, but I might stalk Melissa for a bit

Cool! Florence is beautiful.. and if you're not gonna check out Axl here I guess the next best thing you should see is David. :lol:

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

I'll be visiting Dublin next week. I want to go to the countryside for a day, maybe see some cliffs. Nothing too far from the city, just a short train ride... anyone have any suggestions?

Paddy Wagon tours. 

Thank me later.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still just roaming around Scotland taking in the scenery :headbang: Saw a deer tonight which was cool.

I was in Edinburgh for the Stones last weekend, been home to Orkney for a few days, but now I'm back down in the Cairngorms because I really like it here :) Photo doesnt really do it justice as it was overcast today, but heres Loch Morlich in Glenmore earlier tonight:

2qu1y7t.jpg

It's hard to tell from the photo above, but theres a bit more life in the Cairngorms than there is in the isles which is why I'm wanting to move here in the near future :) When I was here between Xmas and New Year I took my girlfriend out to feed the reindeer which was a really cool experience for me/christmas gift for her :lol:

sgspso.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Just now, Len Cnut said:

Whats a cricket festival?

A bunch of games plonked together, usually in a lovely old traditional outground rather than your familiar stadiums, and with marquees and other attractions. It is the Durham fixture I'm seeing.

https://www.gloscricket.co.uk/cheltenham-cricket-festival/

There used to be far more of them at one time. This has been running since 1872.

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

A bunch of games plonked together, usually in a lovely old traditional outground rather than your familiar stadiums, and with marquees and other attractions. It is the Durham fixture I'm seeing.

https://www.gloscricket.co.uk/cheltenham-cricket-festival/

There used to be far more of them at one time. This has been running since 1872.

You must really love that shit.  Did you ever play?