I held Guns N' Roses together when they were ‘the most dangerous band in the world' -Sorum

On 12/15/2016 at 11:05 PM, donny said:

izzy will be around in 2017. he cant not be.

ive seen GNR 3 times since izzy left the band and he's been at all 3 concerts. first was in 93 when gilby Clarke broke his wrist and twice in 2012. in 2012 he turned up just because he's an old mate of axl(40 years at least) and a founding member of the band. he's just playing hard to get now but will be around in 2017

i saw him in london the 2nd night as well 14 years was the best song performance after 93 as far as feeling the magic again 

Edited by double talkin jive mfkr

On 12/15/2016 at 7:20 AM, agustingloger said:

All I have to say is You could be mine 

And all I can respond with is estranged. I will give it to sorum, his drumming on those songs are simply PERFECT. And seeing some anti frank topics like the topic about frank screwin up estranged really makes one appreciate sorum.

I could see him guesting for a couple of spots like Adler did next year but I think that's as far as it goes with Matt. Franks cheaper and doesn't bring the potential drama sorum does so, keeping his potential involvement to a minimum is probably axls drawing line

On 14.12.2016 at 6:23 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

Even if Frank is an inferior drummer, I prefer him for the fact that he doesn't bitch about playing some of the greatest GNR songs and claiming to keep Guns together. What's next, Chris Pitman claiming he was the reason for the reunion?

Brain > Sorum

Brain is even worse than Frank, cause his style has absolutely nothing to do with classic rock... Matt and Steven are perfect for GnR. Period. 

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 1:53 AM, Iron MikeyJ said:

I agree, I "like" Sorum. I don't have a problem with him at all, and I rank him HIGHER than Gilby as a Guns member. But having said that, I don't miss him either. Obviously there is a reason he is not there. As long as we have Axl, Sash, and Duff I'm not going to cry about Sorum. Besides I'd rather have Adler back anyways. Frank is fine with me, instead of Sorum. If this line up ever releases a new album, both Frank and Fortus would be elevated to more important members all time above Sorum and Gilby anyways. Only the original 5 can not be surpassed, everyone else really is just a replacement member anyways imo. Sorum just luckily played on the Illusions. Gilby only really played on Spaghetti, so it would be easy for Fortus to surpass him. Frank and Sorum will probably always be a toss up, especially if a new album does happen.

This about sums it up for me.

Never cared for Gilby one iota...Sorum is a few rungs ahead in the "GNR cred" ladder for sure.

Guy's still a fucking cock though (and his drum solo from the Tokyo video is still the shittiest professional drum solo I've ever heard) but points to him for that animal song and all the work he does.

It's a horrendous song, but great message and great cause.

18 hours ago, sonofnazareth said:

Forum was the only member of guns who had the guts to stand up to Axl. It's obvious why he's not there. 

Adler also stood up to Axl and was the only band member Axl got into brawls with. 

If something happened to Frank, it would probably be between Matt or Brain with the remote possibility of Steven. 

I don't think Axl's got anything against Matt but he's not kicking Frank to the curb. Duff understands Frank and Richard have history and he's played hundreds of shows with GNR... Matt of course is bitter he's not taking part in it for the money part of it (who wouldn't be) and I'm sure he wishes Slash and Duff were able to persuade Axl to have him play. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

Adler also stood up to Axl and was the only band member Axl got into brawls with. 

If something happened to Frank, it would probably be between Matt or Brain with the remote possibility of Steven. 

I don't think Axl's got anything against Matt but he's not kicking Frank to the curb. Duff understands Frank and Richard have history and he's played hundreds of shows with GNR... Matt of course is bitter he's not taking part in it for the money part of it (who wouldn't be) and I'm sure he wishes Slash and Duff were able to persuade Axl to have him play. 

Yeah despite what he says there's no way Matt is happy playing for The Hollywood Vampires or playing Baron Von Strom (LOL) instead of kicking ass with GNR.

• Like 3

On 12/14/2016 at 5:14 PM, thunderram said:

I don't think Matt really knows how he feels or can make up his mind.

In one instance, he takes what seems like a backhanded shot by saying:

"Everything was so much different than what I expected. I thought I was walking into a straight-up rock band, a crossbreed of AC/DC and Aerosmith, mixed with the Sex Pistols and Nazareth. Along came pianos and these epic 10-minute opuses. I was surprised."

That kinda indicates to me that what the band was currently doing wasn't cool to Matt compared to what they had done before he got the gig.

But then he goes on to say:

"I was in the most dangerous rock'n'roll band in the world at the time. What’s going on now is great for them, but I was there when it was great too – probably the greatest."

So was the piano era the greatest era even though Matt hated it, or was it really the Appetite era before he got there?

I don't think Matt can decide.

Don't think its the songs he had a problem with but the same bloated diva crap Izzy, Slash and duff had a problem with. Delays, Tantrums, power struggles etc

• Like 1

Matt is very brash and honest. No filter whether he is right or wrong. He and Scott wanted to kill each other but Matt has historically been the most complimentary towards both Axl and Scott's legacy.

This reunion and the books they've written has helped me to better understand the dynamics of how things went down with these guys. In my opinion Matt sat in on every rehearsal and listened to duff and Slash's complains whether it was Axl or Scott and ultimately felt the need to intervene and be the one to stand up to the frontman. It makes Matt look like the bad guy when he is only trying to help the less confrontational and more spineless ones.

We will never see Matt with GN'R again. It is what it is. However, I bet we will see him with Slash and duff once again

• Like 3

On 12/15/2016 at 4:52 PM, bigpoop said:

And who could blame him for feeling like that. Those guys dicked him over, no two ways about it.

yea its gotta be hard to stomach when you're the guy who always fell on the sword for them only for them.

Now they are making bank, rolling around in their own private jet, assistants, nutritionists, psychologists, managers, legal representatives, dressing rooms etc playing the songs you helped make famous

On 12/14/2016 at 6:15 PM, liqddynamite said:

“Everything was so much different than what I expected. I thought I was walking into a straight-up rock band, a crossbreed of AC/DC and Aerosmith, mixed with the Sex Pistols and Nazareth.

“Along came pianos and these epic 10-minute opuses. I was surprised.”

These quotes from this interview exemplify my problem with Sorum, he always wants to bash the ballads, the piano, etc, which he did here.  Basically, he wants everyone to know that just in case people think GNR got soft with the UYI albums, that he had nothing to do with it, since he's clearly too much of a bad ass to be on stage with a piano.  

Come on dude, yes on average AFD was a harder album, but they were also playing Patience at most shows before he was in the band.  Besides, what exactly is the problem?  Does he also think Zeppelin sold out or went soft with stairway?  Thats what always made GNR so great imo, they did the songs they wanted, they were never afraid to show actual human emotion in the lyrics, and they didn't give a fuck about what anyone thought about it, and I'm certain that includes Matt Sorum.

exactly thats why I feel Matt is not being very clear and honest even to himself. It wasn't the piano or was all the other bullshit. You may be right about him dissolving himself of any blame for GN'R being seen as less hardcore and dangerous during his era with the band. 

Amazing how these guys are such musical genius' yet such flawed out of touch with reality individuals

On 12/15/2016 at 11:48 PM, donny said:

my 2 pence worth.

do I rate sorum ? yes

can sorum handle sell out stadiums around the world ? yes, he proved that 25 years ago

is sorum telling the truth in the article about being ok with it ? NO he's lying. for someone that put so much effort in to those epic songs like estranged(don't forget the dolphins) and the rest of the UYI albums and tour he must find it gut wrenching to have no part in this reunion.

will sorum play live with the big 3 again ? yes

do I want to see sorum in London next year ? no, I want to see ADLER.

why ? because 2017 is AFD 30th anniversary. I want to see those 5 original AFD guys turning the clock back and giving the world some shows to remember and sorum should have no part in this.

sorum in 2018 ? I would love to see him back playing with the big 3 and I'm sure many millions of other GNR fans would give him a warm welcome back(and a new album would be nice)

maybe in 2018 GNR will announce some special guests onstage so AXL, SLASH, DUFF, SORUM, FORTUS, ASHBA, BUMBLEFOOT, REED and that fit emo chick can blast out a 15 minute long version of the new single THE GENERAL :) 

Knowing GN'R and how they troll these days they will have them up there along with Izzy just to do a 15min cover of THE SEEKER!

Edited by Top-Hatted One
  • Like 1

I remembered an old interview of his where he talks about being told what to play first and hearing it wrong. He tries to force Axl into doing what he played first. It didn't work for him. I find that disrespectful, the singer always chooses for obvious reasons.

Unfortunately, with all the screaming and guitars warming up, I didn't hear him say "Night Train." So I jumped up on my big riser, the lights hit us, and I looked out at a packed Giants Stadium and kicked into "Welcome To The Jungle" and the place lit up. Then I went into "Brown Stone," which started with a Bo Diddley kind of beat on the drums on this huge timpani. Axl looked back at me and gave me the cut sign, crossing his neck, and I said, "No, man. 'Brown Stone.'" He just said, "Stop, stop," and I looked at Slash and said, "Start the song," but Slash wouldn't start it. Axl yelled in the mic' "Stop," and I stopped in the middle of this beat. I was so pissed off that I stuck my drumstick right through the drumhead. Then I looked up and I was on these fifty-foot screens on either side of the stage - all me, with this angry expression on my face. Then Axl said, "We're going to go into another song now." And that's just a little bit of what went on all of the time. It was complete insanity.

Another example of his ego and in my opinion disrespect of sorts

Matt: My first show with them was at a huge stadium -
                       175,000 people. I had played big gigs with The Cult in
                       the late '80s but this was something else. I remember
                       Axl had his guy call me at the hotel right before the gig,
                       "Matt, Axl would like you to do a drum solo tonight." So I
                       thought, "Okay, I'm going to do a drum solo in front of
                       175,000 people! I'm in Brazil, they love drums. If I get
                       into more of a rhythmic, group participation sort of
                       thing, it'll be effective."

So Axl introduced me as the new guy - "The Assassin,"
                       he called me - and all of a sudden about fifty spotlights
                       hit me. I launched into every drum solo lick I ever knew.
                       Fifteen minutes later, I was still going - the sound, the
                       PA, the people made it seem so surreal. I thought about
                       when I saw John Bonham at the Forum and all the great
                       drummers and drum solos I'd seen back in the day.

I remember kicking quarter notes on the bass drum,
                       standing up and clapping my hands - and there were
                       175,000 people's arms up in the air clapping with me.
                       They kept clapping, so I soloed to that. Then I kicked the
                       band into "You Can Be Mine," which had that big drum
                       intro. We did two nights, and the second night I soloed
                       even longer. I remember looking over to the side of the
                       stage and Axl was standing there, ready to come back
                       on, and I was thinking, Hey man, you can wait. I soloed
                       every night after that.

Anyway I doubt he was some glue that helped hold them together. I think he's a great drummer and I'm a fan of his drumming but personally, I don't like him. His ego was big and he embellishes quite a bit.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2016 at 0:01 PM, dalsh327 said:

Drummers know how to bash.

• 2 weeks later...

Another interview:

MATT SORUM Talks About Getting Out Of His 'Comfort Zone' After Playing With DUFF MCKAGAN For 25 Years

(...) Asked what question he is most tired of answering with regards to GUNS N' ROSES, other than the fact that he is not involved in the band's reunion tour, Sorum said: "I think I'm so aloof to the whole thing now; I'm numb to it. [Laughs] The fact that you just asked me and I can't even come up with an answer, that's a good thing."

He continued: "You know, I've got Robert DeLeo playing bass now [for KINGS OF CHAOS], and we did the HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES [tour] together, and man, that guy is a musician. And it's a great thing to get out of my comfort zone, because Duff McKagan was my bass player for 25 years. We did multiple bands together — NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS and VELVET REVOLVER and KINGS OF CHAOS. So it was good for me, because when you are a bass-player-[drummer] rhythm section, you create a bond and you kind of go through life with that guy, and I've always been his drummer and he's been my bass player. So when they went out there to do it [without me], I was, like, 'Oh, okay. Well, that's weird.' But it wasn't his decision, obviously. So I'm doing my thing, and I'm moving forward, and I get to run my own band [KINGS OF CHAOS], which is great; I'm the boss. [Laughs] The only problem is everyone asks you questions all the time, so you've gotta be prepared for that, to be the boss of the band." (...)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-talks-about-getting-out-of-his-comfort-zone-after-playing-with-duff-mckagan-for-25-years/

Edited by Blackstar

48 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Another interview:

MATT SORUM Talks About Getting Out Of His 'Comfort Zone' After Playing With DUFF MCKAGAN For 25 Years

(...) Asked what question he is most tired of answering with regards to GUNS N' ROSES, other than the fact that he is not involved in the band's reunion tour, Sorum said: "I think I'm so aloof to the whole thing now; I'm numb to it. [Laughs] The fact that you just asked me and I can't even come up with an answer, that's a good thing."

He continued: "You know, I've got Robert DeLeo playing bass now [for KINGS OF CHAOS], and we did the HOLLYWOOD VAMPIRES [tour] together, and man, that guy is a musician. And it's a great thing to get out of my comfort zone, because Duff McKagan was my bass player for 25 years. We did multiple bands together — NEUROTIC OUTSIDERS and VELVET REVOLVER and KINGS OF CHAOS. So it was good for me, because when you are a bass-player-[drummer] rhythm section, you create a bond and you kind of go through life with that guy, and I've always been his drummer and he's been my bass player. So when they went out there to do it [without me], I was, like, 'Oh, okay. Well, that's weird.' But it wasn't his decision, obviously. So I'm doing my thing, and I'm moving forward, and I get to run my own band [KINGS OF CHAOS], which is great; I'm the boss. [Laughs] The only problem is everyone asks you questions all the time, so you've gotta be prepared for that, to be the boss of the band." (...)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-talks-about-getting-out-of-his-comfort-zone-after-playing-with-duff-mckagan-for-25-years/

By far the most interesting section out of that entire quote from sorum about Duff: "So when they went out there to do it without me, I was like, oh ok. That's weird. .But it wasn't his decision, obviously" 

1 - Further proof sorum is jealous and butt hurt he's not involved.

2 - Also more proof that it's Axls band like I've been saying this entire time. They didn't vote on frank or fortus, slash and Duff joined an already functioning, evolving version of Guns N' Roses. But then again, I guess the term functioning well, we all may have our different definition of that :P