New U2 Album 'Songs of Experience' Out Dec. 1st // Tour Starting in May 2018

The Holographic Universe

New song kind of sucks, wow. Not "bad", but boring and forgettable. I dont think Ill listen to it much at all

Everything on SOI destroys it imo

Edit- I say this as someone who loves pop rock. I thought Every Breaking Wave was extremely strong and should have been the lead single of SOI. Thats a total pop rock song.

Edited by ZoSoRose

5 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

New song kind of sucks, wow. Not "bad", but boring and forgettable. I dont think Ill listen to it much at all

Everything on SOI destroys it imo

Edit- I say this as someone who loves pop rock. I thought Every Breaking Wave was extremely strong and should have been the lead single of SOI. Thats a total pop rock song.

I agree. Totally forgettable. It doesn't suck but it's not good either.  It's mind numbing how they chose this as the lead single. Also agree 100% about Every Breaking Wave. The album version have most definitely been their lead single followed up by California. 

33 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's a pop song. I know most rock fans are afraid of pop, but if it has a catchy melody and it's overall a good song, I'm hooked.

Never been afraid of pop in my life. This song just doesn't have any of the qualities you speak of in my opinion. The chorus is horrible. Verses are ok but the chorus really ruins the song. It's bland, painfully repetitive and it drags on way too long in my opinion. 

Oh well. Like Meatloaf said; 2 outta 3 ain't bad. 

Edited by Bono

It's good, but that's about it.

The lyrics leave something to be desired and they're repeated about as much as a lead single from Katy Perry or Taylor Swift (I just expect more from U2).

It's catchy, but so is The Blackout, which is certainly better.

I'm not disappointed in the song; I'll definitely listen to it again and I'm sure it'll grow on me even more, but I am disappointed this is their choice for the first single. The Blackout would have been a much better choice, and in addition to that, that song still gives me hope the album will have some hidden gems on it.

I'm still excited. :)

It would be stupid to expect them to leave their comfort zone at this point. It would be stupid to expect U2 to stop focusing on being 'the biggest band in the world' and do something different.

It's weird. NLOTH was an experimental album in a way, it was very bleak. SOI has some cool songs in it. Bomb had an anthemic U2 song (City). But all these post 2000 albums lack something. And I think for the last years U2 has been trying very hard to sound like what's in the radio, instead of working on their own talents and songwriting skills.

And all the Trump talking doesn't really put me in the mood to give this album a chance. Yes, U2 has always been political. But bashing Trump is so obvious, so easy, so unoriginal...

I hope SOE has at least one song that reminds me of the 90s U2, which is my favorite era. I don't like what I've heard so far. If there's any rapping on this album, I think it's time for them to call it quits.

5 hours ago, maynard said:

It would be stupid to expect them to leave their comfort zone at this point. It would be stupid to expect U2 to stop focusing on being 'the biggest band in the world' and do something different.

It's weird. NLOTH was an experimental album in a way, it was very bleak. SOI has some cool songs in it. Bomb had an anthemic U2 song (City). But all these post 2000 albums lack something. And I think for the last years U2 has been trying very hard to sound like what's in the radio, instead of working on their own talents and songwriting skills.

And all the Trump talking doesn't really put me in the mood to give this album a chance. Yes, U2 has always been political. But bashing Trump is so obvious, so easy, so unoriginal...

I hope SOE has at least one song that reminds me of the 90s U2, which is my favorite era. I don't like what I've heard so far. If there's any rapping on this album, I think it's time for them to call it quits.

Have you listened to The Blackout yet? To me that's them out of their comfort zone, or calling back to their Achtung Baby days. In fact it sounds like it could almost fit in perfectly on that album.

I saw the Buffalo show on Tuesday. Bear in mind that even saying I'm a casual U2 fan would be a stretch.

So I got a GA ticket the week before the show for $19 on StubHub. I got there about an hour after doors opened, and still managed to get second row, a bit to the right of where the band spent most of their time on the main stage. There were things I liked about the show, and things I didn't like. Visually, they put on an incredible show. I've seen a few people say this tour is pretty bare bones by U2 standards, and I was still totally blown away. The 8K video screen is amazing, I've never seen anything like that. The band sounds great given their age too. Some songs don't sound so hot tuned down (New Year's Day comes to mind), but it's understandable at Bono's age. Speaking of Bono he was a lot less political than I expected, so that was a pleasant surprise.

On the down side, I thought it was a bit odd starting the show on the B-stage. I like the way they stage everything out on the B-stage with the lighting rigs all over the stadium, but I wasn't sold on the show starting like that. The biggest thing for me was that the band really doesn't seem to interact with the crowd at all. Like, they acted like they wouldn't have even noticed if the entire crowd disappeared between songs.

I agree with the interaction part. This tour seems more business like because it is. I'm sure they enjoy performing these songs but there's no doubt they are out on tour right now to fulfill a contract with Live Nation. they needed to meet a specific amount of dates so what better way than to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Joshua Tree. As for starting on the b stage I kinda like it. Its low key as it should be as the focus is the Joshua Tree album so all those songs that get played before have more subtle presentation. It really allows them to separate the show into sections. Opening of the show is all pre Joshua Tree stuff, then the screen comes on and it's all about Joshua Tree. Then of course the encore is all post Joshua Tree stuff. I kinda like the low key start to the show. Reminds me a bit of the Elevation tour when they came out with the house lights on. 

Ona  side note they just killed it on Jimmy Fallon with an awesome performance of Bullet the Blue Sky. I guess they're gonna play the new single later in the show.  

• GNFNR 1

I think YTBTAM sounds a lot better live than it does as a single, but the song is catchy as hell, which makes it effective as the first single

Blackout is a fun track also, Little Things is a bit too boring for my tastes; I'll reserve my judgment until I can hear Songs of Experience in full, but so far I feel underwhelmed after how much I enjoyed Songs of Innocence.

I agree YTBTAM does sound better live and I do really enjoy the verses. They're catchy enough but they tease to something more in the chorus and I feel the chorus is just really really lame. It's brings the song down rather than elevate it. Plus The Edge needs to shit or get off the pot. That small transition in the song(studio version) that starts at 2:46(2:57 on Fallon) is decent but at the 3:00(3:10 on Fallon) mark he goes into a quick frantic powerchord that should lead into an awesome solo but he bails out and goes with the same old tired chiming guitar.  I mean for fuck sakes in the live performance Bono even yells "EDGE!!" as if to suggest The Edge is gonna go off on a  solo but instead he starts singing a falsetto. I mean really? That's the most ridiculous thing ever. Don't name drop your guitar player mid performance only for him to sing falsetto and NOT do a guitar  solo :lol:  I feel like the song is incomplete and they rushed it or something just to get it out. 

A lot of angst (for U2) in the Bullet performance, and the subtle dig at "someone" was great. Great performance.

YTBTAM is still good; It's catchy, which is why it is good as a single, but The Blackout would have been a better song for a single. YTBTAM is certainly a "U2 song" - and I don't mean that in a good or bad way. :lol:

Either way, excited for them to announce when the album will be coming out.

An FYI..

Live Nation and U2 regrettably announce their St. Louis show scheduled for tonight, September 16, 2017 has been cancelled. 

"We have been informed by the St. Louis Police Department that they are not in a position to provide the standard protection for our audience as would be expected for an event of this size. 
We have also been informed that local crowd security personnel would not be at full capacity. 

In light of this information, we cannot in good conscience risk our fans’ safety by proceeding with tonight’s concert. As much as we regret having to cancel, we feel it is the only acceptable course of action in the current environment." - Live Nation and U2

Fans who purchased tickets online will receive a refund on the credit card tickets were ordered on.  Refunds for non-internet purchases will be available starting Monday at 10am at point of purchase.

http://www.u2.com/news/title/st-louis-show-cancelled

• 1 month later...

New song is meh. U2 promoted some shitty stuff in their las stint in Brazil. Siding with artists who promote pedophilia "art" exhibitions with naked men being touched by children. I would punch the 4 of them on their faces if I could. Let's see if there's any decent song left in them.