Cult of Chucky (2017)

Eric Cantona

Chucky as a character has been milked and subverted by his eccentric creator, Don Mancini. 

Mancini got lucky that his original concept of Chucky was augmented by the director of the first film, Tom Holland (not Spider Man), who is really the one responsible for constructing the story of a serial killer trapped in a doll. Because the first film was a hit and delivered on scares and this new, innovative idea of a toy possessed, a franchise was born and control of Chucky was handed back to Mancini.

You can see that this guy Mancini quickly ran out of interesting material, especially once he got complete control and started to direct these films. Bride of Chucky was the last good one and that's because it was postmodern enough to have that wink-wink, eyebrows up, self-conscious take on how absurd the Chucky thing had become.

After that, Mancini went off the deep end with the satire and his attempts to put the fright back in the series were hamstringed by the fact that these are now just low-budget DTVs. Chucky is a CGI abomination. Dourif's insistence on casting his daughter is nepotism personified. 

Basically these Chucky films are now big jerkoff sessions for all these people still clinging to the meager paychecks attatched to them. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I haven't seen this new one, but along with Curse of Chucky, I can't stand these overlit, low-budget sets that they rotate out because they're made on the cheap.

Along with the low budget, comes the single setting (the haunted house, the insane asylum) to confine the story to one place and just set Chucky loose. There's nothing interesting about a doll stalking the same three rooms and killing people.

The scope is important. The first couple Chuckys went all over the place, to break up the boredom and monotony of any one place. You want your movie to be on the move, you don't want the audience to feel imprisoned in the movie. I don't think these filmmakers consider that.

• Like 1

I pre-ordered it on amazon.com

I've seen all the Chucky movies and even if this sucks, I still have to see it.

Halloween is being made again and Jamie Lee Curtis is on board again.

I thought she was killed in Halloween Resurrection.

Is this going to be a remake of the John Carpenter classic of 1978? Who the hell will Jamie play?

6 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

I haven't seen this new one, but along with Curse of Chucky, I can't stand these overlit, low-budget sets that they rotate out because they're made on the cheap.

Along with the low budget, comes the single setting (the haunted house, the insane asylum) to confine the story to one place and just set Chucky loose. There's nothing interesting about a doll stalking the same three rooms and killing people.

The scope is important. The first couple Chuckys went all over the place, to break up the boredom and monotony of any one place. You want your movie to be on the move, you don't want the audience to feel imprisoned in the movie. I don't think these filmmakers consider that.

And didn't Andy shoot chucky in the last movie?

Damn how many lives does this little bastard have? lol

Okay, I watched Cult of Chucky last night and I actually liked it. The killings were pretty gory and original.

Tiffany is still a hoot. Brad's daughter is carrying the torch for her dad big time.

I loved the expression on Chucky's face.

I hope everyone watched the last scene after the credits. it was pretty cool.

poor Andy needs to get away and get a life. He's just so pathetic with his "Chucky collection".

Anyway, I'm sure there will be another Chucky coming along soon.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 5:20 PM, luciusfunk said:

I liked it. Wish the version on Netflix had the ending with Kyle. 

Damn you told the ending! It's in the non-rated version too.

On 1/7/2017 at 5:45 PM, Len Cnut said:

Thing is about these horror movie sequels none of em are gonna be Citizen Kane, i cant name any horror movie sequels that, in terms of substance, weren't naff...but thats sort of the point of them, they are self awarely naff and goofy, i dont personally approach em expecting anything but a bit of gore and a fun way to waste 90 mins.

This one was pretty good.

p16048_p_v8_ad.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Not sure if overall, I loved it or hated it. Loved the first half for sure, though.

You can just taste the low budget and the straight to dvd vibe :lol: 

I think Mancini & Co should use their budget for screenwriters instead of the special effects for the killings :lol: 

On 5.1.2017 at 6:17 PM, AslatIE said:

Going by the title and the fact that the movie will be terrible I assume the movie is 90 minutes of Chucky assembling a Dream Team of killer dolls and terrorizing Whatever Town :lol:

Damn it, that was actually pretty fucking spot on :lol: 

Wes Craven's New Nightmare rules.

That was a sequel with huge balls. The concept of Freddy Kruger emerging from the movies to terrorize the actors was so postmodern. I remember when that came out because I couldn't understand if it was supposed to be a fake documentary or what. Then I saw it and it all made sense. One of the neater and most original ideas as far as horror sequels go.

The best part of that flick is the moment when Heather Langenkamp realizes she is inside the original movie and that she is Nancy now. Such a powerfully spooky moment.