Guns n' Roses "small catalogue" is a myth

I just added the play times of all Gn'R albums on youtube, it's pretty impressive since it adds up to a total of almost  7 hours. If you add the L.A. Guns album, it's well over 7 hours, all the covers they performed live not included. With that length, they could've easily released 8 albums.

So I tend to say that their small catalogue is almost an urban legend. ;)

Edited by Zurimor
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I love GNR music so I guess size doesn't matter where they are concerned....:blink:

(Damn I just realized how strange that sounded...lol...make that size of their catalogue) :rofl-lol:

Leave it to me to put my foot in my mouth

Everyone knows that size does matter. :P 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

I love GNR music so I guess size doesn't matter where they are concerned....:blink:

(Damn I just realized how strange that sounded...lol...make that size of their catalogue) :rofl-lol:

Too late:P

• Like 2

If we're talking albums of original music then they're got a pretty small... catalogue. Appetite, UYI I, UYI II, CD. There should be more. An album within every 5 year time frame isn't much to ask for - that should be at least 6 albums.

37 minutes ago, BlueJean Baby said:

Size matters even more when it comes to GN'R :lol:

11 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

4 albums of original material, 1 cover album, 1 EP and 1 live album is an incredibly small catalog for a band that's been around over 30 years. 

No amount of creative math is going to change that. 

But isn't it 5 albums?

1. Appetite

2. Lies

3. Use Your Illusion 1

4. Use Your Illusion 2

5. Chinese Democracy

Just now, highvoltage said:

Lies is more or less 2 EPs mashed together. Couldn't really call it an "album" with a straight face.

It's an album. Called it with a straight face. It's 8 Guns tunes. Covers were on Illusions as well. Guns released 5 albums.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

4 albums of original material, 1 cover album, 1 EP and 1 live album is an incredibly small catalog for a band that's been around over 30 years. 

No amount of creative math is going to change that. 

Wrong. The length of these albums is a strong counter argument. 

They haven't really been around for "over 30 years" either. Many, many years of that is downtime, hell Axl and Slash didn't speak to each other for 15 of those, and in a way it's not that bad a thing that Axl didn't sully the Gn'r name further by releasing more music. (No new band hate)

• Like 2

Just now, BlueJean Baby said:

I think they meant Hollywood Rose??

I guess but that doesn't really count either. First of all, the whole thing is different mixes of five songs, three of which are on other records. More to the point it's not GNR.

Anyway, just the fact that the person is looking for ways stretch the discography says a lot regardless of which they meant.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Lies was 4 old songs, 3 new ones and an acoustic re-recording. I think most people count it as an EP :shrugs:

I'm not most people. Most people didn't know Live Like A Suicide even existed. They printed 10,000 copies. Sold all of it but still. It was 8 new tunes to most people. You're Crazy acoustic is like Don't Cry alternative. We count it as 2 tunes. At least most of us do.

Edited by Rovim

Just now, Rovim said:

I'm not most people. Most people didn't know Live Like A Suicide even existed. They printed 10,000 copies. Sold all of it but still. It was 8 new tunes. You're Crazy acoustic is like Don't Cry alternative. We count it as 2 tunes. At least most of us do.

It was not 8 new tunes. I don't care how many people knew LLAS existed, the songs were still listed on the back cover as being 2 years old by the time Lies was released. Lies is a compilation of two EP's, which makes it a bit longer than most normal EP's but it's still not a full album.

• Like 2

On 9.1.2017 at 1:12 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

It was not 8 new tunes. I don't care how many people knew LLAS existed, the songs were still listed on the back cover as being 2 years old by the time Lies was released. Lies is a compilation of two EP's, which makes it a bit longer than most normal EP's but it's still not a full album.

10,000 people in the whole world bought Live Like A Suicide. Millions have bought Lies. But you don't care. I appreciate accuracy so:

Live Like A Suicide is an old half album. And the other half of Lies was a new half album. If we're in agreement these are facts then:

Lies, is a hybrid "album"? it's not just a regular EP. At the very least it's 2 EP's? at this point I consider it an album. If you don't, than Guns released:

4 albums and 2 Ep's that were packaged together, but the vast majority of people never fuckin' heard all 8 tunes on that one.

I guess I took liberties cause 10,000 people have already heard it and probably also made bootlegs for friends and relatives.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Pathetically tiny. It's so small. (Gn'R's catalog)

Even Axl was embarrassed and was ashamed at the China exchange. It's not full size. It's a mini-catalog. If catalogs could have a baby, GnR's would have been it.

If you count the number of albums and songs, yes, but not if you count total length. That's my point.

As I said in my opening post, they easily could've made at least 8 albums with the material they produced. However, most of them have a length of 1+ hour, both Use your illusions are around 75-80 min. Those 2 albums alone could've been splitted into 2 each, if you look at other bands average album length. It's really not that bad :)

And I actually mean L.A. Guns, Axl was a member and he left his influence there. I know, he left years before they released anything, but  at least imo you clearly can hear it on their first album. Sure, it's far-fetched, I'll give that to you. ;)

• Like 1