Guns n' Roses "small catalogue" is a myth

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Aren't you one of those who claimed Axl IS Guns N' Roses?

If that's true what you have posted, wouldn't that prove you wrong? You and everybody who's claiming Axl alone is GNR? 

That's my point. A band like GNR can't be kept running without 4/5 of their members.

Hell, we don't even know if it's possible with 3/5 back together.

I think Axl and some musicians is GNR. But that doesn't mean he really believed that all the timewhile he was making CD. It's only after I heard CD I felt that was comfirmed. 

15 hours ago, Zurimor said:

I'm out of this. :)

It's nothing bad to do stuff because of personal preferences, it's fine, everyone should do that! I don't know why you keep arguing with me. :)

Not arguing for the sake of arguing. I thought we were having a discussion. You seem to be absolutely certain you can't be wrong about this. I was just trying to explain why I disagree in hope you'll see the light.

Why is it that a lot of musicians that can afford it still use expensive recording studios and not just their home studios? you just shrug it off like I don't know what I'm talking about, but expensive as shit equipment and varied recording spaces do have value and if you combine that with everything the software can do, that can be better than just doing it with "pretty good" equipment.

And it also depends on what it is you're trying to achieve musically.

Edited by Rovim

8 hours ago, wasted said:

I think it's more about making a great record. I respect that they want to take their time. Don't rush release something because you can't go back and re do it. 

I think they will find a way to do it. 

Don't you think that they could have went into a studio now, and record for a decade? (to save time) instead they're gonna tour for another year or more.

Axl got the Coachella offer after working with Pitman on finishing touches for CD ll. He put that aside, reunited with Slash and Duff and went on tour with almost a decade old Chinese. It makes sense cause the reunion is still fresh and another album will take years probably, but the reason for doing a long tour right now is money?

Edited by Rovim

10 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Don't you think that they could have went into a studio now, and record for a decade? (to save time) instead they're gonna tour for another year or more.

Axl got the Coachella offer after working with Pitman on finishing touches for CD ll. He put that aside, reunited with Slash and Duff and went on tour with almost a decade old Chinese. It makes sense cause the reunion is still fresh and another album will take years probably, but the reason for doing a long tour right now is money?

I feel like the cds are now seperate from the touring. So the reunion tour for fans, fun and money. But the record is still in the works. Axl always wanted Slash on his records. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

Not arguing for the sake of arguing. I thought we were having a discussion. You seem to be absolutely certain you can't be wrong about this. I was just trying to explain why I disagree in hope you'll see the light.

Why is it that a lot of musicians that can afford it still use expensive recording studios and not just their home studios? you just shrug it off like I don't know what I'm talking about, but expensive as shit equipment and varied recording spaces do have value and if you combine that with everything the software can do, that can be better than just doing it with "pretty good" equipment.

And it also depends on what it is you're trying to achieve musically.

I  said it's not the main reason to visit a studio.

You go to a studio for a different chemestry, it's an easy way to hire adiitional musicians/background singers without any work, you can make different arrangements.... It's really not that much about sound anymore, there are plenty of home studios which are on the same level sound-wise.

Many musicians have their own studio and they don't use crap equipment. :)

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/print/can_grammy_winning_recordings_be_made_in_a_home_studio

Quote by Dave Hewitt from that side: " “It could be done. Not to underestimate good engineering and good equipment, though. We have recorded albums at people’s homes with our truck. We did an Aerosmith album that way.” "

Edited by Zurimor

1 hour ago, Zurimor said:

I  said it's not the main reason to visit a studio.

You go to a studio for a different chemestry, it's an easy way to hire adiitional musicians/background singers without any work, you can make different arrangements.... It's really not that much about sound anymore, there are plenty of home studios which are on the same level sound-wise.

Many musicians have their own studio and they don't use crap equipment. :)

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/print/can_grammy_winning_recordings_be_made_in_a_home_studio

Quote by Dave Hewitt from that side: " “It could be done. Not to underestimate good engineering and good equipment, though. We have recorded albums at people’s homes with our truck. We did an Aerosmith album that way.” "

Yes, it is still about sound. The vast majority of albums by big bands are done by taking advantage of expensive studios, pro engineers and producers, and just expensive equipment in general. 

Technology is advancing in that direction, now you can build a home studio and record an album that will sound great, I agree with you. But take for example an album that involves orchestration for example. Let's take Chinese: Axl hired Paul Buckmaster and Marco Beltrami to do some orchestration for some tunes, he produced it himself, but also hired RTB, Constanzo and Youth at first.

Giving one example, an Aerosmith record which is probably fairly basic rock stuff does not make professional recording studios obsolete. Like I said in my previous post: depends on what you're trying to achieve, sometimes certain genres don't really require all the bells and whistles. Won't work for Guns imo.

Edited by Rovim

I miss the old days when bands - the entire band - would go spend a month or months in the studio. The band would basically live together, would write, exchange ideas and endlessly jam together......and come up with 12-15 songs for an album. Release album. Tour for a year. The  head back to the studio and do it all again  

They weren't trying to create the best album of all time. They weren't trying to create a masterpiece. They just wanted to create music that they were proud of and that their fans would enjoy. 

There is NO "organic" whatthefuckevwer you want to call it in how Axl does things now. People working in different places. Exchanging five second music bits via text messages. Hundreds of hours spent layering and adding weird sounds to one song over a 15 year period. 

I honestly think that Axl probably initially created three amazing albums. And if he would have brought Robin, Buckethead and the boys to his home studio and spent a month perfecting the songs - then brought in a professional producer - I have no doubt that GnR would have release some kickass albums from 1999-2005. 

Rawer versions of catcher, better, twat, the blues, irs and even CD - that's a great rock album. That's Appetite meets the best of the Illusions with some Buckethead thrown in. That's awesome.

Imo Axl cut the nuts off of CD (and probably CD2 and 3) when he decided to produce the songs himself. Dude sat down in front of his computer and spent years tinkering with all those songs. Neutered them. 

If GnR heads to the studio and release an album in a timely fashion - awesome. But if they create an album and then Axl takes the songs home and spends five years trying to perfect them....I would almost rather Slash and Duff just passed. 

• Like 3

Axl said in the Trunk interview in 2006 he likes to take advantage of what you can do with Pro Tools, but also with the band members all playing the fuck out of their instruments or something.

He talked about 5 orchestras on one tune for Chinese recently. I think it's still the "more is more" approach for the next album as well but who knows. I just don't expect Axl to do it like Slash all analog and live. Just not his chosen path it seems.

I wouldn't even care as long as I like the finished product. However Axl wants to get there is fine by me, but his way takes a lot of time. Maybe it's the only way to make it timeless.

Edited by Rovim

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

Yes, it is still about sound. The vast majority of albums by big bands are done by taking advantage of expensive studios, pro engineers and producers, and just expensive equipment in general. 

Technology is advancing in that direction, now you can build a home studio and record an album that will sound great, I agree with you. But take for example an album that involves orchestration for example. Let's take Chinese: Axl hired Paul Buckmaster and Marco Beltrami to do some orchestration for some tunes, he produced it himself, but also hired RTB, Constanzo and Youth at first.

Giving one example, an Aerosmith record which is probably fairly basic rock stuff does not make professional recording studios obsolete. Like I said in my previous post: depends on what you're trying to achieve, sometimes certain genres don't really require all the bells and whistles. Won't work for Guns imo.

Well, I gave you proof, I assume you didn't even read the full article. Aerosmith is a big professional band. In the article, several very respected engineers/producers are quoted and all of them agree that you can record an award-winning album in a home studio. Coincidence? You don't really believe that, do you? Technology advanced rapidly and probably even your mentioned orechestration could be done with a good sample or maybe even completely digitally. It's more about live experience and such but really not that much about sound.

Further on in the article, reasons why you visit a studio are mentioned, but you can read those yourself. Just keep in mind it's compared to semi-pro equipment, a big band can easily buy the best equipment itself.

I'm done. :)

edit: Well, I guessed right:

Edited by Zurimor

1 minute ago, Zurimor said:

Wel, I gave you proof, I assume you didn't even read the full article. Aerosmith is a big professional band. In the article, several very respected engineers/producers are quoted and all of them agree that you can record an award-winning album in a home studio. Coincidence? You don't really believe that, do you? Technology advanced rapidly and probably even your mentioned orechestration could be done with a good sample or maybe even completely digitally. It's more about live experience and such but really not that much about sound.

Further on in the article, reasons why you visit a studio are mentioned, but you can read those yourself.

I'm done. :)

Fuck this shit.