Guns n' Roses "small catalogue" is a myth

I've tried to care... but I just don't. I just can't see what difference it makes. At all. :shrugs:

Seems like a topic for the usual suspects who like to argue with each other to keep on arguing with each other. Unlike most of the time when they get going I can't even find this one at all interesting.

Keep on, keep on folks. I hope you are all having fun.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Zurimor said:

I just added the play times of all Gn'R albums on youtube, it's pretty impressive since it adds up to a total of almost  hours. If you add the L.A. Guns album, it's well over 7 hours, all the covers they performed live not included. With that length, they could've easily released 8 albums.

So I tend to say that their small catalogue is almost an urban legend. ;)

The LA GUNS ALBUM!

I love the Guns n Roses LA GUNS album!

Tracii%20Guns%203.JPG

:rofl-lol:

18 minutes ago, Mendez said:

I am 100% positive that UYI I, II, and CD aren't split into two discs.

About this item

Track Listings

1. Right Next Door to Hell
  2. Dust N' Bones
  3. Live and Let Die
  4. Don't Cry [Original Version]
  5. Perfect Crime
  6. You Ain't the First
  7. Bad Obsession
  8. Back off Bitch
  9. Double Talkin' Jive
  10. November Rain
  11. The Garden
  12. Garden of Eden
  13. Don't Damn Me
  14. Bad Apples
  15. Dead Horse
  16. Coma

Product Information

Label Geffen
Number of discs 2
ASIN B0000707YX
Best Sellers Rank 6352

1 minute ago, wasted said:

About this item

Track Listings

1. Right Next Door to Hell
  2. Dust N' Bones
  3. Live and Let Die
  4. Don't Cry [Original Version]
  5. Perfect Crime
  6. You Ain't the First
  7. Bad Obsession
  8. Back off Bitch
  9. Double Talkin' Jive
  10. November Rain
  11. The Garden
  12. Garden of Eden
  13. Don't Damn Me
  14. Bad Apples
  15. Dead Horse
  16. Coma

Product Information

Label Geffen
Number of discs 2
ASIN B0000707YX
Best Sellers Rank 6352

Thats the vinyl record.

You're technically correct, there are indeed two discs. But then, oh wow, I pull out my 'compact disc', and woop dee doo, what do you know!? Theres one fucking disc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

4 albums of original material, 1 cover album, 1 EP and 1 live album is an incredibly small catalog for a band that's been around over 30 years. 

No amount of creative math is going to change that. 

its not so small once you consider that GNR lasted 1985-1991 (7 years)

you can also do some creative math like you suggested and "add" at least another full album of original songs that were never released

aint going down / cornshucker / too much too soon / bring it back home / sentimental movie / just another sunday / crash diet / indiana aint my kinda town /it tastes good dont it... 

if you wanna keep on the creative math path, you can speculate that there must be more songs (specially unfinsihed songs) that we have no idea about!

===

now it all changes if you consider the axl-solo-era 1996-2015 (20 years) as GNR

then it gets just like you described = incredbly small catalog

and it also gets embarassing

due to all the chinese democracy huge-waiting-antecipation-fiasco-saga

specially due to the fact that axl solo album doesnt have good songs on it 

===

the only thing more embarassing than the axl-solo-era is the (non-existent) GNR live catalog

there is ONE proper live release, which is an EP, live from the jungle, that was released in japan only!

then you have a fake live EP, live like a suicide, that was released twice!

and then you have the most horrible fake live album ever released in the history of mankind, live era 1987-1993

thats a really, really, really embarassing live catalog

• Like 4

Imho bands should be judged (in regards to the subject of this thread) in context of their era and the state of the music industry. I don't think it's fair for GnR (or any other band from their era) to be compared to bands from the late 60s-early 70s (e.g. The Doors) when the average was 1 or even 2 albums per year. Things changed over the years for various reasons. I repeat that imo 'classic' GnR (1986-1996) released a satisfactory number of albums considering the average of the era.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mendez said:

Thats the vinyl record.

You're technically correct, there are indeed two discs. But then, oh wow, I pull out my 'compact disc', and woop dee doo, what do you know!? Theres one fucking disc.

We are comparing Zepp's number of records to GNR's number of records. 

GNR get compared to bands that were putting out albums in the record era. 1 GNR cd is really like 2 records worth of material. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bigpoop said:

I guess but that doesn't really count either. First of all, the whole thing is different mixes of five songs, three of which are on other records. More to the point it's not GNR.

those five hollywood rose songs are at least 18 million times more GNR than the axl solo album

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

We are comparing Zepp's number of records to GNR's number of records. 

GNR get compared to bands that were putting out albums in the record era. 1 GNR cd is really like 2 records worth of material. 

ah, gotcha

4 hours ago, Carburetta said:

Wrong. The length of these albums is a strong counter argument. 

They haven't really been around for "over 30 years" either. Many, many years of that is downtime, hell Axl and Slash didn't speak to each other for 15 of those, and in a way it's not that bad a thing that Axl didn't sully the Gn'r name further by releasing more music. (No new band hate)

Their down time is absolutely part of the problem and the biggest reason we haven't heard more material. They years don't just disappear because the band was unproductive. 

Isn't their a single topic which all GNR fans can universally agree on? :lol: I mean fuck, we don't even agree how many albums they've released which is ridiculous given that it can be counted on a single hand (or can it? :P)

Spaghetti Incident seems to be getting completely overlooked in this thread too, almost as if it never existed. I'm sure the original versions of a lot of these songs would have been "new" to the masses, much like Live Like A Suicide was, so surely it too is worthy of being included?

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, downliner said:

Isn't their a single topic which all GNR fans can universally agree on? :lol: I mean fuck, we don't even agree how many albums they've released which is ridiculous given that it can be counted on a single hand (or can it? :P)

Spaghetti Incident seems to be getting completely overlooked in this thread too, almost as if it never existed. I'm sure the original versions of a lot of these songs would have been "new" to the masses, much like Live Like A Suicide was, so surely it too is worthy of being included?

I agree.  I know it wasn't new music but there also was the Live Era 87-93 CDs if you are counting physical albums. All I know is that I love them all. :lol:

4 hours ago, wasted said:

The myth is you need 20 albums to be a good band. 

I kind of respect them for not milking the fans with mediocre remake albums. If they didn't have anything good they didn't release it. 

You don't need 20 albums to be a good band. This band isn't my favorite because they have a massive amount of material, they made it count with what little they have. But that's just it.. it's a small catalogue 

• Like 1

Just now, Billsfan said:

You don't need 20 albums to be a good band. This band isn't my favorite because they have a massive amount of material, they made it count with what little they have. But that's just it.. it's a small catalogue 

It might be small compared with a lot of bands -Kiss, Stones, DC.  But it's about the same as Zepp or the Doors catalog. 

3 hours ago, wasted said:

AFD - 1 record

Lies - 1 record

UYI I - 2 records

UYI II - 2 records

CD - 2 records

GNR - 8 records

In regards to Faith no more, from when Patton  joined (just after AFD) they have 5 studio albums. They did their reunion album recently. 

AFD - The Real Thing

UYI I - Angel Dust

UYI II - King for a Day, Fool for...

CD - Album of the Year

? - Sol Invictus

Soundgarden have similar discography. 

Pearl Jam kicked everyone's ass in terms of number of albums. 

:lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol::rofl-lol:

Youre by far the best poster here lmfbo 

1 minute ago, wasted said:

Slash and Duff are playing CD songs live. 

That's why I posted what I did. The OP argued that Chinese doesn't count as gnr but if slash and Duff with Axl count as gnr, and they're playing Chinese Democracy songs, therefore it must be a Guns N' Roses album considering they are playing that material! It's not rocket science 

1 hour ago, downliner said:

You are damn right. TSI is a great album. Guns have AFD, Lies, UYI I & II, TSI and CD. Six albums. Get over it. It doesn't matter anyway, because all of them rock.

4 minutes ago, wasted said:

It might be small compared with a lot of bands -Kiss, Stones, DC.  But it's about the same as Zepp or the Doors catalog. 

By your math not really. It's 4.5 albums, the facts are there in regards to what's actually been released. A lack of more material doesn't make gnr a bad band, it might not help their case in certain respects but it's just a flat out lie to say they don't have a small catalogue of material.