"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Frozen (2013)

I've seen bits and pieces over the years but today I actually watched the whole thing with my daughter. I figured it'd be one of those films where the hype would take away from the enjoyment, but I guess enough time has passed because I actually really liked it. Definitely a good job on that one, Disney.

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope (1977)

Finally resuming my re-watch of the series. It's as good as ever, but that's not surprising.

On 1/22/2017 at 3:34 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Moonlight - 4/5

Mildly slow, yet moving story. Not sure if I really "enjoyed" it, but I appreciated it for what it was. Certainly not for everyone, but recommended to those who appreciate movies.

I've got a big crush on Janelle Monáe too.

Yeah, this movie doesn't go anywhere. Manchester by the sea is like this, too.

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I like em more because they're sort of more escapist?  I mean i never been one for fantasy for sci-fi but a 50s American movie to me is like...its a world so far removed from the one i know...and they're often so story driven, its easier to get lost in them.

omg there was a summer where i was obsessed with like early 60's beach movies! and i like 50's movies as well. i must say though i was terribly disappointed in Rebel Without A Cause, it has been touted as such a great movie and less than halfway in i was mentally screaming why isn't this over? :P

but i love The World of Suzie Wong, Sunset Boulevard, Picnic...just too many to list really!

36 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

omg there was a summer where i was obsessed with like early 60's beach movies! and i like 50's movies as well. i must say though i was terribly disappointed in Rebel Without A Cause, it has been touted as such a great movie and less than halfway in i was mentally screaming why isn't this over? :P

but i love The World of Suzie Wong, Sunset Boulevard, Picnic...just too many to list really!

Problem with Rebel Without a Cause is people watch it looking for a blueprint for a rockstar when really it's about really confused and naive kids, like a 90 minute episode of Saved by the Bell.  I think it's really cute, especially towards the end when Sal Mineo, Dean and Natalie whatsherface are kinda like playing house in that old abandoned place.  Pretty homoerotic too (though i always found than an odd term).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Problem with Rebel Without a Cause is people watch it looking for a blueprint for a rockstar when really it's about really confused and naive kids, like a 90 minute episode of Saved by the Bell.  I think it's really cute, especially towards the end when Sal Mineo, Dean and Natalie whatsherface are kinda like playing house in that old abandoned place.  Pretty homoerotic too (though i always found than an odd term).

Sal Mineo was gay wasn't he? i just watched it cos people raved about it like it was the greatest film on earth. that and Citizen Kane which i did find more enjoyable.

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Sal Mineo was gay wasn't he? i just watched it cos people raved about it like it was the greatest film on earth. that and Citizen Kane which i did find more enjoyable.

Yeah he was, died quite young, got stabbed on the street during a robbery in NY.  They all died young really, Natalie....oh God, whats her fuckin' second name, how could i forget such a stars surname?!?!  Anyway her, Dean and Mineo, all died young.

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah he was, died quite young, got stabbed on the street during a robbery in NY.  They all died young really, Natalie....oh God, whats her fuckin' second name, how could i forget such a stars surname?!?!  Anyway her, Dean and Mineo, all died young.

Wood. yeah they all did. there is something so fishy about her death, i honestly think Robert Wagner offed her but they don't have the evidence to convict him. not that they would, look at Robert Blake :facepalm:

4 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

Wood. yeah they all did. there is something so fishy about her death, i honestly think Robert Wagner offed her but they don't have the evidence to convict him. not that they would, look at Robert Blake :facepalm:

Y'know i read a thing where some girl, i think it might be her but I'm not entirely sure was sexually abused by an old hollywood star, i think Kirk Douglas, in exchange for like...her mother turned her out basically, in exchange for getting her movies roles.  I really should remember the fuckin' names and characters if I'm gonna be tellin' these tales eh? :lol:

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Y'know i read a thing where some girl, i think it might be her but I'm not entirely sure was sexually abused by an old hollywood star, i think Kirk Douglas, in exchange for like...her mother turned her out basically, in exchange for getting her movies roles.  I really should remember the fuckin' names and characters if I'm gonna be tellin' these tales eh? :lol:

then there was Lana Turner's daughter who killed Lana's boyfriend, Johnny Stompanato cos he was abusing Lana!