"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Apocalypse Now - The Workprint

Can't really even call it a movie in the proper sense of the word, I mean a movies complete after the editing process and all that crap and then you have whats released in the cinemas, which is what the film is, the normal version of Apocalypse Now is 2 and a half hours, the Redux is about 3 hours 20, this ones just over 5 hours long and, well, it is what it is, its a workprint, in very poor quality, I mean like the picture and so forth, very bootleggy and sort of a film nerd thing, like a very very very early rough cut that is nowhere near the film it ended up being but despite that, if you're as big a fan (and nerdy enough :lol: ) of the film as I am its got some great shit in it, there's a fuckload more Brando, a load more on the other characters, you get to see the character Colby (the guy sent on the identical mission) you get to see Dennis Hopper being killed, you get to see Lance the surfer kill a water buffalo, all kindsa cool shit :lol:  Its also interesting (well it is to me!) to see a film pre-the editing process.   

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Red Heat (1984)

Jungle Fever (1992)

Don't you mean Chained Heat? That's the one with that bird from The Exorcist innit?  :D Red Heat's the the one with Arnie and Jim Belushi from the late 80's.

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I just make the dates up and hope nobody checks :lol:

I just googled and apparently Chained Heat was 1983 and your one was the sequel released in 1985. Both of 'em had Exorcist woman in 'em. Who knew? :lol: 

All I know is that I've only wanked over the 1st one. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

17 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I just googled and apparently Chained Heat was 1983 and your one was the sequel released in 1985. Both of 'em had Exorcist woman in 'em. Who knew? :lol: 

All I know is that I've only wanked over the 1st one. :lol: 

I was watching the James Belushi film!  ‘You look like Marvin Hagler to me!’ :lol:

On 4/24/2018 at 5:29 PM, Len Cnut said:

Apocalypse Now - The Workprint

Can't really even call it a movie in the proper sense of the word, I mean a movies complete after the editing process and all that crap and then you have whats released in the cinemas, which is what the film is, the normal version of Apocalypse Now is 2 and a half hours, the Redux is about 3 hours 20, this ones just over 5 hours long and, well, it is what it is, its a workprint, in very poor quality, I mean like the picture and so forth, very bootleggy and sort of a film nerd thing, like a very very very early rough cut that is nowhere near the film it ended up being but despite that, if you're as big a fan (and nerdy enough :lol: ) of the film as I am its got some great shit in it, there's a fuckload more Brando, a load more on the other characters, you get to see the character Colby (the guy sent on the identical mission) you get to see Dennis Hopper being killed, you get to see Lance the surfer kill a water buffalo, all kindsa cool shit :lol:  Its also interesting (well it is to me!) to see a film pre-the editing process.   

Where in the hell did you find it? I've been looking around for it for years on torrent sites

7 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

Where in the hell did you find it? I've been looking around for it for years on torrent sites

Piratebay.  You just bung in ‘Apocalypse Now Workprint’ and there it is.  Its really cool though, Kurtz is called Leighley and the soundtrack is all Doors songs.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 4:28 AM, Len Cnut said:

Piratebay.  You just bung in ‘Apocalypse Now Workprint’ and there it is.  Its really cool though, Kurtz is called Leighley and the soundtrack is all Doors songs.

Awesomeness. It's downloading reeeeally slow though. Have you ever seen Hearts Of Darkness: A Filmaker's Apocalypse?

it is a documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now.

19 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Awesomeness. It's downloading reeeeally slow though. Have you ever seen Hearts Of Darkness: A Filmaker's Apocalypse?

it is a documentary about the making of Apocalypse Now.

Yeah its fuckin brilliant and adds a SHITLOAD to the enjoyment of the film and draws a really weird parrallel between what the performers and creators went through and what the characters in the movie are going through.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Yeah its fuckin brilliant and adds a SHITLOAD to the enjoyment of the film and draws a really weird parrallel between what the performers and creators went through and what the characters in the movie are going through.

Yeah it seemed like it was a cursed production. Watching Coppola basically having a nervous breakdown

33 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

Yeah it seemed like it was a cursed production. Watching Coppola basically having a nervous breakdown

But then out of that came this great art.  I really do think the film achieves something, cinematically, that really qualifies it for a sort of...unique position amongst cinema. Film can be an art but it can also be, y'know, soap.  Washing up powder.  The process of making the movie really says something to me about the value inherent in when an artist or some artists give of themselves in pursuit of art.  Cuz they all kinda gave of themselves, quite deeply, whether its the alcoholic Sheen kinda confronting his demons in the creation of the opening scene (not to mention his fuckin' heart attack) or Dennis Hopper off his tits basically creating his own lines off of dribs and drabs of Joseph Conrads Heart of Darkness or Brando turning up and (albeit in a cheeky way) kind of reimagining the central figure of the piece it was all done kind of brilliantly.

It makes you wonder like, could you even make a film like this nowadays?  Would anybody have the guts?  Would anybody sink their money into it, would the actors take on the burden, I mean Francis would get sued to shit by the actors alone for the sorts of pressures that were put on everybody but it was a co-operative process.  Francis has said about filmmaking in general that he believes there is something to the idea that, in making a film, there's a lot of value in subjecting yourself to a little of what the character is going through, not in a method sense but in terms of like...your own personal version of that.  And the film is kind of about a journey into oneself, for Willard, kind of following Kurtz in a sense who has made that journey and in doing that shit to themselves it made the improvisations lend themselves all the more to the movie.  It really is an exceptional piece of cinema, to me even the film is like...a documentary in a sense, because of that particular filmmaking process, there's a distorted kind of realism to it all.  

Like Francis says my film isn't about Vietnam, it IS Vietnam, a bunch of Americans in the jungle with too much money, too much technology, too much drugs...and the movie is kind of a document to that.  I think Heart of Darkness: A Filmmakers Journey is almost an invaluable companion to the piece, I liken it in some kinda way to The Stones making Exile where, though the comparison is thin, there's a sort of an effectiveness to Exile in the sense of it being a reflection of some actually nutty shit these guys were up to.  I don't think I've really said what I mean very well with this post.  Anyway, whatever.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 2:07 PM, Dazey said:

Well I wanked over that one too. I mean have you seen the bathhouse scene at the beginning? :lol: 

91bkZ+cUxfL._SY445_.jpg

Did you ever watch the 80's Andy Sedaris movies with the playboy playmates and some ex playgirl guys and B type actors. lol they are a hoot.

The one I like the most it :Hard Ticket to Hawaii. It's about a big radioactive snake that gets loose in Hawaii. It's nuts. Ron Moss from The Bold and the Beautiful fame is in it.