"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

12 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Classic. People get too caught up with the comparisons to Rio Bravo. It’s a good western all on its own. Hawks doesn’t get the recognition of the other big time directors but he made some really good ones. Red River is highly recommended.

Red River might be Dukes best acting along with The Searchers.  And Hawks is highly regarded y’know.  VERY highly regarded.  

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Red River might be Dukes best acting along with The Searchers.  And Hawks is highly regarded y’know.  VERY highly regarded.  

Oh yeah he gets his dues. Just when it comes to westerns his name usually comes after the other usual suspects. Which it’s probably just because he didn’t make as many. Red River is one of my favorite Duke films. I’d agree about his acting in that and Searchers. I’d probably throw Liberty Valance in there too. Now I love me some Rooster Cogburn, and that’s a great role that won him an award, but I’d put his roles in the other three above that one. Not that there was anything wrong with his acting in True Grit.

1 hour ago, J Dog said:

Yea that’s the one. It was ok. It looked really good. One of those movies where a lot of it is all about the visual tone. 30 Days of Night is an ok horror movie set in Alaska.

Hannibal

Cult of Chucky

I saw 30 days of night in the movie theatre. When those vampires would scream it went right through your ears. lol

Hannibal was awesome

Cult of Chucky was pretty good. I liked the ending. Did you watch it until after the credits because there was an extra scene.

55 minutes ago, J Dog said:

Oh yeah he gets his dues. Just when it comes to westerns his name usually comes after the other usual suspects. Which it’s probably just because he didn’t make as many. Red River is one of my favorite Duke films. I’d agree about his acting in that and Searchers. I’d probably throw Liberty Valance in there too. Now I love me some Rooster Cogburn, and that’s a great role that won him an award, but I’d put his roles in the other three above that one. Not that there was anything wrong with his acting in True Grit.

I get what you mean about True Grit.  Its like the Duke archetype was so set in stone by that point that...he was bordering on like, sending himself up almost?  Whereas Liberty Valance he's kinda just born for that role or Red River and The Searchers have sort of departures in their characterisation in that he's kinda vengeful, True Grit, as great as it was as a movie, as a John Wayne fan, it just kinda borders on parody for me which is like a teensy little notch less interesting than the others.  I'm glad The Shootist was his last movie, I always felt The Shootist was kinda like, his Unforgiven, where Eastwood was always the deconstructionist in terms of westerns Wayne kinda...explored the character and his vulnerabilities but he always remained the hero.  And I have an immense affection for that aspect of westerns, the man on the white horse y'know, Duke or Henry Fonda or Jimmy Stewart just being like, the good guys to end all good guys.  

It's weird y'know I kinda look over like, the characterisations and characters that our generation grew up and like...who are our great characters or characterisations?  Fuckin' Scarface and Carlito Brigante and...O Dogg :lol:  Don't get me wrong, I love that shit but...I dunno, perhaps I'm reaching here but it kinda reflects our moral fibre a bit I think.  It just so happens through my old man loving westerns I kinda got those other guys too but, high moral ideals and such, it was never really presented to our generation like that.  Even the superheroes are kinda tongue in cheek self aware etc.

I really love The Big Trail too, I think Duke had it, that thing, that quality, a lot earlier than he got credit for.

• Like 1

On 16/07/2018 at 10:32 PM, Dazey said:

Went to a nerd screening of Commando on Saturday night. Best movie ever made! :lol: 

First film I ever owned on video.  I think i was 8, my old man got it for me as a present.  Like store bought, not taped off the telly.  I can't bear to watch it anymore though cuz I seen it so many times as a kid the things fuckin' ingrained in my memory.  There was a while in my life there that I used to watch that fuckin' thing every day.  I bet I know that film better than the cunts who made it.  

They offered Bennett 100,000 to find Matrix, kidnap his daughter and coerce the cunt into over-throwing the president of Val Verde...is that not a bit cheap?  Ever get the feeling that the writers weren't trying? :lol:  A fuckin' bent kiwi in a chain-link vest, a big fuck off Austrian bloke and this great big Haitian black fucker...and they're in the American special forces?!  

Edited by Len Cnut

41 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

First film I ever owned on video.  I think i was 8, my old man got it for me as a present.  Like store bought, not taped off the telly.  I can't bear to watch it anymore though cuz I seen it so many times as a kid the things fuckin' ingrained in my memory.  There was a while in my life there that I used to watch that fuckin' thing every day.  I bet I know that film better than the cunts who made it.  

They offered Bennett 100,000 to find Matrix, kidnap his daughter and coerce the cunt into over-throwing the president of Val Verde...is that not a bit cheap?  Ever get the feeling that the writers weren't trying? :lol:  A fuckin' bent kiwi in a chain-link vest, a big fuck off Austrian bloke and this great big Haitian black fucker...and they're in the American special forces?!  

Mate, it's a fucking ridiculous film. The first time I watched it was back in about 1985 when Mother brought it home from the video shop in Redcar. I was about 5 and she turned it off after half an hour because of the swearing. We were living at my Grandma's house at the time and I went fucking mental  and started chucking stuff all over he house and didn't see "let off some steam Bennet" until I was about 9 or 10 :lol: Did you have that thing where your parents  didn't give a shit about people getting their heads blown off in a film as long as they didn't say fuck when it was happening? Anyhoo. Seeing it in a cinema with a bunch of 10 year old Chris McLeods cheering at every cheesy line was absolutely mint! :) 

8 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Mate, it's a fucking ridiculous film. The first time I watched it was back in about 1985 when Mother brought it home from the video shop in Redcar. I was about 5 and she turned it off after half an hour because of the swearing. We were living at my Grandma's house at the time and I went fucking mental  and started chucking stuff all over he house and didn't see "let off some steam Bennet" until I was about 9 or 10 :lol: Did you have that thing where your parents  didn't give a shit about people getting their heads blown off in a film as long as they didn't say fuck when it was happening? Anyhoo. Seeing it in a cinema with a bunch of 10 year old Chris McLeods cheering at every cheesy line was absolutely mint! :) 

I had that exact same fuckin’ thing, yes!  My old man wouldnt let me watch Bottom when I was a baby cuz they said bollocks or wanker or something...but your Commandos and Predators and such like didn’t bother him, to him its just like...cartooney I suppose.  He’d this weird thing of sitting down and letting me watch stuff that like, ultra fuckin’ violent and then like...someone’ll swear and it was ‘you shouldn’t be watching this’.  Never stopped me though so fair play to him.  I guess stuff like Bottom got into like the prurient sexual end of stuff which was an issue with him.  On the flipside I watched High Plains Drifter with him and a bird gets raped in that...and starts enjoying it :lol:

On 7/21/2018 at 12:56 PM, Juventino said:

Commando is the best thing to ever hit the screen.

Sorry, I was wrong here. Commando is actually the best thing to drop out of a moving aeroplane on to the screen.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I'm dead tired.

• Haha 1

Hotel Transylvania 3 Family Cruise

The Snowman

The Nanny is watching

10 hours ago, Juventino said:

Sorry, I was wrong here. Commando is actually the best thing to drop out of a moving aeroplane on to the screen.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I'm dead tired.

Commando is an awesome movie. Arnie at his best.

He had some great one liners in this movie.

"Where' Sully?"  Arnie "I had to let him go"  He dropped the guy from the Warriors over the cliff! classic!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

A Tale of Two Coreys (relevant to Steve Adler's experiences in Hollywood, as told in his autobiography).

I didn't like either of the Coreys much, or its depiction of Hollywood and L.A. people, but they had their good points, and didn't deserve to be preyed upon.

Yeah, Steven had some terrible times. It was sad reading some parts of his book.

I heard the Corey's were molested too. Hollywood is not kind.

I saw Inside Man. I love Clive Owen.

He started in the cinemax show The Knick and he was awesome. The whole show was awesome.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, Steven had some terrible times. It was sad reading some parts of his book.

I heard the Corey's were molested too. Hollywood is not kind.

I saw Inside Man. I love Clive Owen.

He started in the cinemax show The Knick and he was awesome. The whole show was awesome.

Thanks, yes. I wonder if Axl seemed to feel contempt for Steven, according to Steven in his book, because Steven had seemed to 'accept' his abuse, as the Coreys seemed to do.

Feldman did seem more moral and faithful than Haim in the movie, although I think it was Feldman's story, as it was made this year, after he brought up the complaints again in the media last year, and Haim died in 2010.

Both their lives seemed to support the image of Hollywood and the L.A. scene of being shallow and ruthless, but there were (too) good times to be had partying etc, which is what youth is mostly about to most youth.

Got round to watching Split featuring James McAvoy. Can't believe it took me so long to watch it, as I thought it looked great when I seen the trailer at other visits to the Cinema. Great movie and the acting was incredible I thought. I didn't know that it was a follow up from a previous movie though and that there will be a new movie featuring McAvoy along with Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson next year, which looks great!