"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Enter the Dragon (1973)

I became a Bruce Lee fan in 1993, 20 years after the man died. It took me until 95 to 96 to see this film, before then, stupidly enough, for whatever reason, you couldn't find it in the film stores.  I watched a thousand documentaries from The Curse of the Dragon and all in between, then in 95 or 96 Warner Bros finally rereleased it and i grabbed an 18 yr old relative (or a relative who looked 18) to go and buy it for me (my brother) for 6.99...and even then it was missing the nunchaku scene.  It took YEARS for me to see the uncut thing but I have to say it changed my life, Enter the Dragon, along with every other Bruce Lee film and at least one that can barely be considered a Bruce Lee film, are probably the most important movies of my childhood.  In the two years before i finally found it I coveted this film so badly I even fought a tie in novel of it from a charity bookstore and read it :lol:  And people wonder why I love the internet!

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Enter the Dragon (1973)

I became a Bruce Lee fan in 1993, 20 years after the man died. It took me until 95 to 96 to see this film, before then, stupidly enough, for whatever reason, you couldn't find it in the film stores.  I watched a thousand documentaries from The Curse of the Dragon and all in between, then in 95 or 96 Warner Bros finally rereleased it and i grabbed an 18 yr old relative (or a relative who looked 18) to go and buy it for me (my brother) for 6.99...and even then it was missing the nunchaku scene.  It took YEARS for me to see the uncut thing but I have to say it changed my life, Enter the Dragon, along with every other Bruce Lee film and at least one that can barely be considered a Bruce Lee film, are probably the most important movies of my childhood.  In the two years before i finally found it I coveted this film so badly I even fought a tie in novel of it from a charity bookstore and read it :lol:  And people wonder why I love the internet!

Are you a practitioner? The Grandmaster is a good recent movie too, about Ip Man, Bruce's teacher, as you probably know. 

Enter the Dragon (1973)

How did you not have Enter the Dragon earlier than 1995?

I had this VHS in the late '80s,

e_cover.jpg

Nunchucks cut of course. I didn't see them until ITV accidentally showed the uncut version and somebody I knew managed to tape it.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Megaldon It was a Sy Fy movie. it sucked big time!

Hope to see The Meg this weekend.

23 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

e_cover.jpg

Nunchucks cut of course. I didn't see them until ITV accidentally showed the uncut version and somebody I knew managed to tape it.

One of my mom's all time favorite movies. Bruce Lee was the man! No one has come close since him.

He and Brandon are both gone too soon. But neither one is forgotten.

I used to watch Enter The Dragon all the time with my mom when I was little. Became a fan just like her.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

e_cover.jpg

In the late 80s I was a 5 yr old :lol:  You fuckin' couldn't get it on video at all, all through the early 90s.  To buy I mean.  In fact I don't think you could get any of his films.  There used to be a VHS with that cover there in one of the video shops in town but you had to be 18 to join so I was kinda fucked.

1 hour ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Are you a practitioner? The Grandmaster is a good recent movie too, about Ip Man, Bruce's teacher, as you probably know. 

I'm not, no, I just love Kung Fu movies.

Edited by Len Cnut

The Crow (1994)

A movie that I have put off watching for about 24 years, despite it starring one of my favourite actors of that time, chiefly because I was led to believe there was hardly any of him in it and it was mostly CGI.  I've been missing out, I really liked it.  Shame Brandon had to die like he did, he was getting better and better with each movie, Rapid Fire is one of the best action movies of the 90s for me and he was 100 times the charm of most of the action stars of his era, as well as clear ability outside of mere action movies.

Edited by Len Cnut

The Crow (1994)

A movie that I have put off watching for about 24 years, despite it starring one of my favourite actors of that time, chiefly because I was led to believe there was hardly any of him in it and it was mostly CGI.  I've been missing out, I really liked it.  Shame Brandon had to die like he did, he was getting better and better with each movie, Rapid Fire is one of the best action movies of the 90s for me and he was 100 times the charm of most of the action stars of his era, as well as clear ability outside of mere action movies.

I thought he died in that bullet festival at the end of the movie. The Crow was a must have on dvd, along with The Usual Suspects and Die Hard. 

2 hours ago, wasted said:

I thought he died in that bullet festival at the end of the movie. The Crow was a must have on dvd, along with The Usual Suspects and Die Hard. 

I never got on with The Usual Suspects either.  I was in Film Studies and they showed us the ending and that fucked it for me.  Never watched it properly since.  Its one of those films where I've seen it all but in dribs n drabs, bit on the telly, bit round a friends house, it just always seemed to be on somewhere.  But I'm not sure I've ever sat down and watched it end to end. 

I think, though I'm not sure, dear ol' Brandon died in that scene where they come in and do him and his bird over. 

On 8/14/2018 at 10:25 PM, Len Cnut said:

In the late 80s I was a 5 yr old :lol:  You fuckin' couldn't get it on video at all, all through the early 90s.  To buy I mean.  In fact I don't think you could get any of his films.  There used to be a VHS with that cover there in one of the video shops in town but you had to be 18 to join so I was kinda fucked.

I was born in '82 - I thought I was the same age approximately as you?

I am a child of 1980s irresponsible parenting so there were no problems with 18s. To be honest the video shops around me weren't bothered about renting eighteens to minors - this was before chain video stores. 

All the rest of Lee's were available in big boxed pan-and-scanned editions with horrible cuts. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

13 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I was born in '82 - I thought I was the same age approximately as you?

I am a child of 1980s irresponsible parenting so there were no problems with 18s. To be honest the video shops around me weren't bothered about renting eighteens to minors - this was before chain video stores. 

I'm '83.  We never had a VCR until 1990 now I think about it.  As with the video stores, nah, they wouldn't have it round this way.  Though when I was 15 they let me have a membership and rent 15 rated films and under.  If I wanted an older one I had to beg my brother to pop down for me.  Even the local market traders wouldn't sell you an 18 rated film.  When I was 13 I had to get my cousin to buy a second hand copy of Taxi Driver for me down the market.

All the rest of Lee's were available in big boxed pan-and-scanned editions with horrible cuts. 

Yeah, I managed to see all the others one way or another.  One of em, Fist of Fury, I borrowed off the mosques Imams son.  He'd blanked out the titties scene, the bastard :lol: 

Edited by Len Cnut

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

These were the earliest VHSs of the Harvest films,

fist-of-fury-22010l.jpg

or these (I'm not sure which were earliest?)

s-l225.jpg

I remember renting these out during a dissipated youth. They were then sporadically reissued entering the '90s.

Cut to buggery and pan and scanned.

The bottom row is the type of ones I got here, Way of the Dragon and Game of Death I saw in those editions.  I'm tryna thing where I saw The Big Boss but I can't think where it was.  They ruined those films, it was actually so shit cuz like...Way of the Dragon, that entire sequence round the back with the Italian fella and the black geezer and all them, it was condensed into like...two kicks and a punch, couple that with the first scene where he finally demonstrates 'Chinese Boxing' to his mates...then the end Chuck Norris fight...and that was literally ALL the martial arts in the film, there was nothing left of it!  You were left wondering why this was considered such an outstanding film in the martial arts field.  Enter the Dragon, Fist of Fury, there was shitloads of Kung Fu (or Gung Fu, oooooh :lol: ) in em if you snipped those scenes but Way of the Dragon they fuckin' done with an axe. 

Tell you what I did find tons of though, fake Bruce Lee films, starring Bruce Li and a whole host of other wannabes in films like The True Game of Death and all these weirdly titled films like Bruce Lee vs The Mafia and scores of titles I don't even remember anymore.  The whole pre Jackie Chan era of Bruceploitation.

Edited by Len Cnut

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The bottom row is the type of ones I got here, Way of the Dragon and Game of Death I saw in those editions.  I'm tryna thing where I saw The Big Boss but I can't think where it was.  They ruined those films, it was actually so shit cuz like...Way of the Dragon, that entire sequence round the back with the Italian fella and the black geezer and all them, it was condensed into like...two kicks and a punch, couple that with the first scene where he finally demonstrates 'Chinese Boxing' to his mates...then the end Chuck Norris fight...and that was literally ALL the martial arts in the film, there was nothing left of it!  You were left wondering why this was considered such an outstanding film in the martial arts field.  Enter the Dragon, Fist of Fury, there was shitloads of Kung Fu (or Gung Fu, oooooh :lol: ) in em if you snipped those scenes but Way of the Dragon they fuckin' done with an axe. 

Tell you what I did find tons of though, fake Bruce Lee films, starring Bruce Li and a whole host of other wannabes in films like The True Game of Death and all these weirdly titled films like Bruce Lee vs The Mafia and scores of titles I don't even remember anymore.  The whole pre Jackie Chan era of Bruceploitation.

Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Bruce Lee Fights Back From The Grave

Some of em are actually great for comedy value.  It speaks to something pretty fuckin' ugly in the human character though.  I suppose its not different than any other trend sort of thing, market forces and all that cobblers.  Even Jackie Chan got his start as something of a Bruce knock off.  Its understandable I suppose, he was the first big international Asian superstar noise in cinema...and then he's cut short.  Even as a fan I felt a bit of that, you feel sort of short changed, you first hear about Bruce Lee as this massive thing but like, its basically 4 films innit?  I've seen more documentaries, far more documentaries actually, about Bruce than I have actual films of his. 

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Some of em are actually great for comedy value.  It speaks to something pretty fuckin' ugly in the human character though.  I suppose its not different than any other trend sort of thing, market forces and all that cobblers.  Even Jackie Chan got his start as something of a Bruce knock off.  Its understandable I suppose, he was the first big international Asian superstar noise in cinema...and then he's cut short.  Even as a fan I felt a bit of that, you feel sort of short changed, you first hear about Bruce Lee as this massive thing but like, its basically 4 films innit?  I've seen more documentaries, far more documentaries actually, about Bruce than I have actual films of his. 

Technically speaking Bruce only finished three films during his own lifetime - well, not including the stuff he made as a child actor/matinee idol.

7 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Technically speaking Bruce only finished three films during his own lifetime - well, not including the stuff he made as a child actor/matinee idol.

Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon, thats four innit?  All of those were finished before he died, with Enter the Dragon being the last one, I think it was released a fortnight after his death or finished a fortnight before.  He was gonna meet up with George Lazenby if I'm not mistaken.  As well as allegedly banging Nora Miao.

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Big Boss, Fist of Fury, Way of the Dragon and Enter the Dragon, thats four innit?  All of those were finished before he died, with Enter the Dragon being the last one, I think it was released a fortnight after his death or finished a fortnight before.  He was gonna meet up with George Lazenby if I'm not mistaken.  As well as allegedly banging Nora Miao.

He died during post-production. This scene ended up being chopped,

You have to feel it would have made it if Lee had lived as it contains much of his philosophy. It needed re-dubbing by a Lee ''soundalike'' when it was inserted in the 25th anniversary edition. Lee would have presumably dubbed it himself had he lived. 

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He died during post-production. This scene ended up being chopped,

You have to feel it would have made it if Lee had lived as it contains much of his philosophy. It needed re-dubbing by a Lee ''soundalike'' when it was inserted in the 25th anniversary edition. Lee would have presumably dubbed it himself had he lived. 

That bit was a soundalike, really?!  Can you tell personally?  I can't!

EDIT:  shit, yeah, when he says 'i understand' you blatantly tell it ain't him.  Fuckin' hell, I never knew that.

Edited by Len Cnut

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I never got on with The Usual Suspects either.  I was in Film Studies and they showed us the ending and that fucked it for me.  Never watched it properly since.  Its one of those films where I've seen it all but in dribs n drabs, bit on the telly, bit round a friends house, it just always seemed to be on somewhere.  But I'm not sure I've ever sat down and watched it end to end. 

I think, though I'm not sure, dear ol' Brandon died in that scene where they come in and do him and his bird over. 

Maybe the table scene is the stand in actor. 

I think I saw Usual Suspects in the theatre but didn’t get it all. But everywhere you go people have it on the shelf with Romeo and Juliet and Titanic.