"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

On ‎21‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 12:41 PM, soon said:

Agreed. The Church of Rome, founded in earnest around 313ce, was a synthesis incorporating some aspects of Christianity with the existing Pagan State Religion.

What I find perplexing about esotericist analysis of Christianity is that many arguments seem redundant. Take the notion that 'links to other religions' somehow undermines the claims of Christianity. I say its redundant because the Christian Gospels already tell of links to other faiths. In addition to the more obvious links to Judaism and Hellenism, the Gospel narrates how the Magi from the East came to see baby Jesus based on a prophecy from their own religion and culture - they followed a prophecy of astrology and astrology is forbidden in Judaism. So we can see that Christianity itself claims that God was working through multiple peoples and traditions to manifest in flesh. The gifts that the Magi brought represented a symbology that made sense to their own non-Abrahamic traditions and also demonstrated their unique prophetic knowledge of Christ's purpose. The Magi also played a pivotal, material, role in saving the young Jesus' life! How much more linked to other religions could we get, right? #MosaicStrong :lol:

Thanks for this video, will check it out. Back in the day I had a group of friends who were into Anton Levy and Satanism. They always showed me those Erik VonDanagen (Sp?) ancient aliens videos. Not sure why they thought that might impact me but accompanied with a bong hit or two it was good fun. Its also fun to now have a Pagan pal show me the debunking video. A perfect circle.

Thanks Soon. Yes, I don't dismiss Judaism, Christianity and Islam; just think they are predominant; in the British and American media and culture anyway, and probably most of Europe. The big joke about British multiculturalism was that it was all about Islam; taking over from its 'big brother' Christianity. If it had been truly globally multicultural it wouldn't have been the disaster its been!

One of the things I love about Ancient Aliens, despite its faults, is that it shows a bigger picture of more ancient and global religions. I travelled to places like Tiwanaku/Pumapunku, Nazca and Machu Picchu in 1994, so its great seeing these amazing theories about them. I'm sorry to see them 'debunked', as would rather an alien influence!

I'm an agnostic bordering on atheism, with Socrates's quote that the wisest are those who know they know little, still my favourite. I go with science normally, but also believe/know that science doesn't know everything, and knows less than it doesn't know. Finding some of the earliest galaxies in the universe neighbouring ours recently seems to show that!

I used to joke that I'm not a practising pagan, I'm a perfect one! In reality I'm more of an environmentalist, and paganism is just the closest spiritual match; along with Buddhism and Taoism. I'm a seeker of truth, even if it goes against what I want to believe (Mulder!). I search deep into the mind as well as out into the world and space, and have had lots of interesting experiences/ thoughts, but remembering Socrates, who pre-dated Christianity and Islam, I don't think I will ever know if they are created by my brain or delivered from some outside source. 

If you want some shortcuts in the above video, the discussion on Medieval art starts around 1 hour 35 minutes. They talk a little about New Age books around 1 hour 57 mins. Sumerian/Arcadian art celebrating sun and nature art rather UFOs is also relevant around 2 hours 37 mins.

Edited by Axl's Agony Aunt
remembered shortcuts
  • Thanks 1

Antman 2 or The Meg. I’m leaning Meg, Antman is really pushing what I can see as a superhero. What’s next Nanodickman. We get it you small but super strong, you ate some weird shit that makes your dick epic, but small. No judgment. Power.

To Stay Alive: A Method

A cool short film with Michel Houellebecq and Iggy Pop.  Trouble is about 60% of it is in French and the version i had had Dutch subtitles so I didn't know what the fuck was being said half the time but I soldiered through it nonetheless.  The central premise of it is this essay that Houellebecq did called To Stay Alive: A Method and its basically like a set of instructions for poets of like, what to do, how to avoid death, how to kindo of...get through life, how to manage your suffering.  All sounds really dark when you say it like that but its not so much.  Iggy basically appears reading the essay and the rest of it appears to be a series of vignettes narrated by different artists which, since its in French I can't be sure but I think its was like a bunch of these artists kinda...talking about themselves, I think. 

Victor Frankenstein: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1976009/

Mixing leisure with my mad scientist work in this forum analysing Axl in everything I do, I wondered if Axl is the 'mad VF-style scientist' of Guns N' Roses?

I have tried to free many Igors in my life myself, and maybe my decade-long greenYgrey concept was my attempt at creating life from lifelessness, but many are determined to be Igors!

On August 23, 2018 at 6:46 AM, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Thanks Soon. Yes, I don't dismiss Judaism, Christianity and Islam; just think they are predominant; in the British and American media and culture anyway, and probably most of Europe. The big joke about British multiculturalism was that it was all about Islam; taking over from its 'big brother' Christianity. If it had been truly globally multicultural it wouldn't have been the disaster its been!

One of the things I love about Ancient Aliens, despite its faults, is that it shows a bigger picture of more ancient and global religions. I travelled to places like Tiwanaku/Pumapunku, Nazca and Machu Picchu in 1994, so its great seeing these amazing theories about them. I'm sorry to see them 'debunked', as would rather an alien influence!

I'm an agnostic bordering on atheism, with Socrates's quote that the wisest are those who know they know little, still my favourite. I go with science normally, but also believe/know that science doesn't know everything, and knows less than it doesn't know. Finding some of the earliest galaxies in the universe neighbouring ours recently seems to show that!

I used to joke that I'm not a practising pagan, I'm a perfect one! In reality I'm more of an environmentalist, and paganism is just the closest spiritual match; along with Buddhism and Taoism. I'm a seeker of truth, even if it goes against what I want to believe (Mulder!). I search deep into the mind as well as out into the world and space, and have had lots of interesting experiences/ thoughts, but remembering Socrates, who pre-dated Christianity and Islam, I don't think I will ever know if they are created by my brain or delivered from some outside source. 

If you want some shortcuts in the above video, the discussion on Medieval art starts around 1 hour 35 minutes. They talk a little about New Age books around 1 hour 57 mins. Sumerian/Arcadian art celebrating sun and nature art rather UFOs is also relevant around 2 hours 37 mins.

Thank you for the time stamps! I started watching it not knowing how long it was. It is interesting so I made it 45 minutes in on first sitting. I will defeinlty check out those sections now. Just didnt want to leave a reply any longer then I already have.

As a Christian in the Commonwealth I can assure you that Christianity is no where to be found, and really never has been around all that much. Christianity cannot fit with the logic of the World/Mammon in general. But its also a position in radical opposition to the violence of the State and the violence and destruction of Capitalist economy. That said, clearly the Church(es) under the guise of christianity have been central in the Western Establishment. This again can be pinpointed to Constantine's performative "conversion" adopting elements of Christianity into ongoing State Worship. The State claims to be sovereign and justified - religious claims about itself that are necessary for the commoners to believe in, in order to absolve the State of its many sins. Simply watching a court proceeding and then attending a church service, for me, is a really vivid reminder of this - they are almost identical.

Oh man, I am so jealous! I would love to travel to those places too! The mysteries of history are so deeply satisfying to ponder, arent they? I like to be turned onto any theories myself. Haha, Id go for alien architects also! I had a big alien nerd phase. Still into it. Must have been magical to feel the presence of those histories and human endeavour!?

That Socrates quote fits in perfectly with Christianity. Id imagine many faiths. I once attended a lecture by a NASA scientist who heads up a team that looks for new stars and systems. She's a Christian. Her name, I kid you not, is Dr Wisemen! Get it, like the wisemen (magi) who looked for a new star to find jesus! I find that so funny. 

A Perfected Pagan - I love it :lol: :headbang:. I'd point out that loving and being loved by the Creator really promotes environmentalism too. I wont toss any scripture at you about it, but Ched Myers does some interesting thinking about this sometimes calling it "Sabbath Economics." A very stirring way of unpacking the ecology of the Gospel message. Theres YT clips and writings of his available online, etc if it at all piques your interest.

For me if something is truth, its from the divine source of all truth. Its always been pouring out to us and we will all continue in further revelations. Socrates was very gifted (despite all the discussions one could have about imperfect thoughts too). Experiences coming from our mind, or outside is a very interesting thing to ponder. For me we have been equipped with the necessary faculties to experience those outside events - we need the brain to discern them. They are one, imho.

Edited by soon
  • Thanks 1

Super Troopers 2

Some parts made me laugh out loud.

These guys are super funny. Hope they make more movies or better yet a weekly tv show.

10 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Victor Frankenstein: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1976009/

Mixing leisure with my mad scientist work in this forum analysing Axl in everything I do, I wondered if Axl is the 'mad VF-style scientist' of Guns N' Roses?

I have tried to free many Igors in my life myself, and maybe my decade-long greenYgrey concept was my attempt at creating life from lifelessness, but many are determined to be Igors!

I saw this movie and really liked it. It was a different take on the Frankenstein saga.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:33 PM, cineater said:

Alpha has a happy ending.  Not going to be domesticating the cat any time soon. 

Okay good to know. Probably watch it when it comes to cable.

13 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I saw this movie and really liked it. It was a different take on the Frankenstein saga.

Yes, me too. Good cast, and effects/psychological emphasis reminded me of Sherlock. Andrew Scott also linked them, playing Inspector Turpin in this and Moriaty in Sherlock; on different sides of the law, but a supporting actor against the main protagonists in both. 

21 hours ago, soon said:

As a Christian in the Commonwealth I can assure you that Christianity is no where to be found, and really never has been around all that much. Christianity cannot fit with the logic of the World/Mammon in general. But its also a position in radical opposition to the violence of the State and the violence and destruction of Capitalist economy. That said, clearly the Church(es) under the guise of christianity have been central in the Western Establishment. This again can be pinpointed to Constantine's performative "conversion" adopting elements of Christianity into ongoing State Worship. The State claims to be sovereign and justified - religious claims about itself that are necessary for the commoners to believe in, in order to absolve the State of its many sins. Simply watching a court proceeding and then attending a church service, for me, is a really vivid reminder of this - they are almost identical.

I'd point out that loving and being loved by the Creator really promotes environmentalism too. I wont toss any scripture at you about it, but Ched Myers does some interesting thinking about this sometimes calling it "Sabbath Economics." A very stirring way of unpacking the ecology of the Gospel message. Theres YT clips and writings of his available online, etc if it at all piques your interest.

Experiences coming from our mind, or outside is a very interesting thing to ponder. For me we have been equipped with the necessary faculties to experience those outside events - we need the brain to discern them. They are one, imho.

Thanks Soon, wise words with nothing I'd disagree with. Yes, Peter Prew's The Human Reality was the first book I read that explained how the Roman church basically choose a militaristic capitalistic version of Christianity, which as you say, was really totally contrary to Jesus's mission. I didn't know about Martin Luther until seeing a BBC film marking the 500th anniversary of his rebellion last year, and his philosophy seemed more in line with Jesus.

That's how I saw Guns N' Roses back in the day, especially Civil War, so feel disappointed they've gone 'mainstream capitalist', but I guess if that's what people want, and they hound you for trying to be true to yourself and art, as I believe Axl was, waiting for the right moment, as I saw Eric Clapton was back in his heyday in a recent documentary. I only knew Clapton as a middle of the road rocker really, rather than an extreme rebel, and I guess that's how most people want to see Guns now. It makes for a nicer more organised concert, and suits me at my age! 

Yes, for me religions just stand in the way, or cloud, the search for truth, so I try to look through them, and am open to any religious and philosophical views; but I think science is the future, although it will probably never be able to totally explain everything away. I started searching about forty years ago, when the brain was still relatively undiscovered. Now, science is explaining a lot of things I wondered about then, inspired by the counter culture and before. 

A casual follower of science now knows more than the greatest seekers and scientists of the past, and I think that shows that time is the biggest factor in the pursuit of knowledge: astronomy and neuroscience are explaining  a lot of the things I wondered about in youth, and have spent my life searching for, some of the time. I could've just spent it 'working for the man' and looked it up now; if I'd known I'd get here; or some time in the future if I knew my definite departure date!

It's a shame governments feel the need to hide information (especially space stuff!), but that is the world we live in. Our governments can harp on about the free world etc, bringing down the Berlin Wall or opening up North Korea, but they still keep lots of secrets from the people; and many seem unnecessary or dangerous - covering up UFO sightings with totally obviously bogus explanations. 

I was just going to write a brief reply to your impressively cogent post, but I guess I have once again, been dragged down into the unconscious by the whirlpool of coffilosophy!

• GNFNR 1

15 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Going to watch my blu ray of the Matrix tonight 

There's a wonderful encapsulation of our society in that...sitting around pissed, staring at the telly and eating pie and chips whilst watching people do mindblowing acrobatics :lol:  That kinda sums us up :lol:

On August 27, 2018 at 6:06 AM, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Thanks Soon, wise words with nothing I'd disagree with. Yes, Peter Prew's The Human Reality was the first book I read that explained how the Roman church basically choose a militaristic capitalistic version of Christianity, which as you say, was really totally contrary to Jesus's mission. I didn't know about Martin Luther until seeing a BBC film marking the 500th anniversary of his rebellion last year, and his philosophy seemed more in line with Jesus.

That's how I saw Guns N' Roses back in the day, especially Civil War, so feel disappointed they've gone 'mainstream capitalist', but I guess if that's what people want, and they hound you for trying to be true to yourself and art, as I believe Axl was, waiting for the right moment, as I saw Eric Clapton was back in his heyday in a recent documentary. I only knew Clapton as a middle of the road rocker really, rather than an extreme rebel, and I guess that's how most people want to see Guns now. It makes for a nicer more organised concert, and suits me at my age! 

Yes, for me religions just stand in the way, or cloud, the search for truth, so I try to look through them, and am open to any religious and philosophical views; but I think science is the future, although it will probably never be able to totally explain everything away. I started searching about forty years ago, when the brain was still relatively undiscovered. Now, science is explaining a lot of things I wondered about then, inspired by the counter culture and before. 

A casual follower of science now knows more than the greatest seekers and scientists of the past, and I think that shows that time is the biggest factor in the pursuit of knowledge: astronomy and neuroscience are explaining  a lot of the things I wondered about in youth, and have spent my life searching for, some of the time. I could've just spent it 'working for the man' and looked it up now; if I'd known I'd get here; or some time in the future if I knew my definite departure date!

It's a shame governments feel the need to hide information (especially space stuff!), but that is the world we live in. Our governments can harp on about the free world etc, bringing down the Berlin Wall or opening up North Korea, but they still keep lots of secrets from the people; and many seem unnecessary or dangerous - covering up UFO sightings with totally obviously bogus explanations. 

I was just going to write a brief reply to your impressively cogent post, but I guess I have once again, been dragged down into the unconscious by the whirlpool of coffilosophy!

Im sure you are being far to kind n characterizing my post so nicely! Ive learned a new word that is very useful in my life - coffilosophy. Thanks, lol!  I was working in Christian ministry and joked to some coworkers that "the body of Christ runs on the holy spirit and coffee" But they just looked at me judgementally :lol:. Im glad you got taken by the whirlpool!

I come from a lesser known current of Christianity that felt Luther stopped short. I read some of his works and they interest me but they do not remind me of my own relationship to Christ. A very interesting and important fellow though! Pretty sure he'd engage in some meaty coffilosophy too! Well, actually Ive heard his best preaching took place in the pub, lol. Ill have to look for that BBC film.

I was happy for the early concert start on this tour myself! Alas, friends I was with got in a lovers quarrel so I still ended up getting home at a classic GNR hour as the sun rose. :facepalm:

For me religion is a set of tools that smart folks have developed and passed down to aid us in our search. Study, prayer, mediation, fellowship, service are the religious tools that enrich my life and relationship with Christ. Its so sad that religion can also be so harmful and disorienting for some.

A few years back Brazil, Canada and other nations I cant recall all opened up their UFO records to the public. Really felt to me that a change was coming, but nothing much seems to have come from it. I agree with you very much about the secrecy really putting a damper on the quality of our democracies.

Do you know the Disclosure Project? They have some cool docs on UFO secrecy.

(still digesting the alien debunk vid)

Edited by soon

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, Juventino said:

Escape from New York

One of my all time favorite films. Love the whole storyline. I can see something like this really happening in the future. I mean there are so many jails and so many criminals eventually we will run out of room.  Pick a state any state but not NYC. it's too cool to be a prison. lol

"Duke of New York" A Number One!

Love Kurt Russell. he was super cool in this movie.

I watched:

Knock Knock  A serial killer getting even with the kids of the people who fucked with him when he was younger. Very gory killings.

Sudden Fear with Joan Crawford and Jack Palance

Pretty good storyline, but honestly, Joan does tend to overact. lol Palance was awesome!

• Like 1