"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

8 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Shane (1953)

When men were men and had Christian pioneer values. 

One of my favourite films, that.  Though to be quite honest I watch it more for whathisname, the bad guy, the ugliest guy in Hollywood, I can JACK PALANCE, thats him!  Jack Palance, cracking actor.

On 18/09/2018 at 10:43 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I have a theory that it ripped-off, well was inspired by, Fritz Lang's M (bear with me). Lang uses montage and cutting to depict Berlin having a sort of collective crisis because of the serial killer, the police, gangsters, mothers, etc. It is a similar thing in Jaws and Amity Island. In a way the town is the most important character in the film.

Must write a pretentious essay on my theory.

Moby Dick is the obvious rip off?

Is also about Fake News.

the House with the Clock in the walls

It was very good. I love Jack Black. I was surprised to see that director/actor Eli Roth directed this movie. He even has a cameo in the movie. I think this is the first movie Eli has directed that wasn't a horror movie. Good for him.

32 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Child's Play 2

This was a good Chucky movie. Then after this one the Child's Play movies started to get stupid.

The cult of chucky wasn't too bad. The worse one was Chucky's kid. OMG! So bad.

On 9/20/2018 at 5:14 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

What did you think of Mother?

I honestly felt it fucked and a waste of Javier's talent. It was a movie based solely on filming Jennifer Lawrence walking through all the rooms looking for her husband. lol

mother! is a phenomenal movie and one of my Top 5 favorites from 2017.

8 hours ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Doing all the star wars movies again now I have the blu rays did the Phantom Menace last night ... If you ignore Jar Jar it ain't a half bad film really 

If you cut the whole Pod Race thing down by at least half and ignore Jar Jar, TPM is a very good film with a solid story line and set-up for the whole series of Star Wars.  

Two versions of Othello, both with production difficulties, both excellent in their own way,

Othello (1951)

Orson Welles, made in a dark noir-European manner. A victim of some rough editing sadly but the quality shines through.

Othello (1965)

Lawrence Olivier as a minstrel haha (I'm surprised the pc brigade have not attempted to ban it). Tour de force of sublime acting. More stagey and faithful than above. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He doesn't look out of place among the English thespians, Brando.

He learned a great deal from them too.  He apparently asked Gielgud what he thought of his performance, asking for critique etc and Gielgud said he gave him a number of little pointers, just about certain inflections and ways of speaking in iambic pentameter as well as stance etc and the next day, according to Gielgud, he was astonished to find Brando had not only taken on-board but perfectly executed his advice.  To practise for the role he used to go and stand up on the hills behind his mothers house and yell out 'friends Romans, countrymen' and other various monologues to himself. 

Its almost a shame though that Brando was in it in as much as the other performances have almost been forgotten as a result, James Mason was fuckin' brilliant I thought. 

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

He learned a great deal from them too.  He apparently asked Gielgud what he thought of his performance, asking for critique etc and Gielgud said he gave him a number of little pointers, just about certain inflections and ways of speaking in iambic pentameter as well as stance etc and the next day, according to Gielgud, he was astonished to find Brando had not only taken on-board but perfectly executed his advice.  To practise for the role he used to go and stand up on the hills behind his mothers house and yell out 'friends Romans, countrymen' and other various monologues to himself. 

Its almost a shame though that Brando was in it in as much as the other performances have almost been forgotten as a result, James Mason was fuckin' brilliant I thought. 

I'm surprised Gielgud didn't try and shag him.

On 20/09/2018 at 8:56 AM, Len Cnut said:

One of my favourite films, that.  Though to be quite honest I watch it more for whathisname, the bad guy, the ugliest guy in Hollywood, I can JACK PALANCE, thats him!  Jack Palance, cracking actor.

Loved him in Tango and Cash.