"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

63a92cf47e242173daa136387c5d9686707c4afc

Teaching Mrs. Tingle (1999)

This is a 1999 American dark comedy-thriller film  that follows a trio of high school seniors (played by Katie Holmes, Marisa Coughlan, Barry Watson) who must prove their innocence to their vindictive history teacher (the titular Mrs Tingle played by Helen Mirren) , who accuses them of cheating on their exams. They break into her house at night to try and convince Tingle that they didn't cheat but a series of various accidents happen from almost accidentally killing Mrs Tingle and tying her up. A home invasion gone awry.

It's a pretty good film. The acting is serviceable but god damn is Helen Mirren a first rate cunt. 6/10

Trailer

7 hours ago, wasted said:

I rewatched Public Enemies with Depp and Bale. Are these two movies linked at all?

That is about John Dillinger? Well it is set during a similar era as the Cagney film. The Public Enemy was based on an account of Al Capone's gang. Capone was more 1920s (the actual film came out 1931 so was almost contemporary and acted as a salutary warning on gangland violence), Dillinger Gang: early-mid '30s. 

It is a true masterpiece, The Public Enemy,

398px-The_Public_Enemy_1931_Poster.jpg

Pre-code, that brief little period between the onset of talkies and the implication of the codes when American cinema had a pair of bollocks.

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 11/7/2018 at 4:20 PM, wasted said:

Verhoeven went on s run of Total Recall, Basic Instinct, Showgirls and Starship Troopers. He was giving Marty some competition. 

Umm, don’t forget motherfucking American Jesus aka ROBOCOP. Elle was a phenomenal return to form too.

1 hour ago, Angelica said:

Umm, don’t forget motherfucking American Jesus aka ROBOCOP. Elle was a phenomenal return to form too.

I was following on from a post about Robocop. I haven’t seen Elle. 

DePalma made a film sort of recently. Assassin or something. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

That is about John Dillinger? Well it is set during a similar era as the Cagney film. The Public Enemy was based on an account of Al Capone's gang. Capone was more 1920s (the actual film came out 1931 so was almost contemporary and acted as a salutary warning on gangland violence), Dillinger Gang: early-mid '30s. 

Pre-code, that brief little period between the onset of talkies and the implication of the codes when American cinema had a pair of bollocks.

I guess it’s two different focuses. One Dilinger, One Capone. I read the Public Enemies book, but can’t remember if Capone was in that. Everyone seemed to be in it though. 

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

‘There you go with that wishin’ stuff!  I wish you was a wishing well...so i could tie a bucket to ya and sink ya!’

To this day that line doesn’t make sense to me :lol:

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

I love all of that old fashioned New York speak. 

‘Why you no good yellow bellied stool!’

’you ain’t nuttin’ but a sneak thief, a nickel snatcher robbin’ the streetcar!’

A lot of those old films use a lot of English terms too, like bollocks, I heard that in a Cagney film, ‘you’ve bollocksed up the whole operation’, or the famous Cagney misquote ‘come out here and take it ya yellow bellied rat or I’ll give it ya through the door!’, I’ll give it ya through the door sounds positively cockney.  

Cagney speaks yiddish in the movie Taxi.  

Geheimnisse einer Seele, aka, Secrets of a Soul  (1926)

GW Pabst psychoanalytical silent starring the sublime Werner Krauss. I wonder if it influenced Spellbound and Vertigo by Hitchcock - in fact I'm almost certain it did?

Spoiler

Edited by DieselDaisy

Movie 43 (2013)

Movie-43-Quad-Poster.jpg?fit=3870,2900&s

Movie 43 is a 2013 American anthology comedy fillm with an ensemble cast with the likes of Elizabeth Banks, Kristen Bell, Halle Berry, Gerard Butler, Leslie Bibb, Kate Bosworth, Josh Duhamel, Anna Faris, Richard Gere, Terrence Howard, Hugh Jackman, Johnny Knoxville, Justin Long, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Chloë Grace Moretz, Chris Pratt, Liev Schreiber, Seann William Scott, Emma Stone, Jason Sudeikis, Uma Thurman, Naomi Watts and Kate Winslet. Julianne Moore, Tony Shalhoub and Anton Yelchin,

I have an affinity for watching "so bad it's good" films but this one failed with me BIG TIME. The whole thing was cringe inducing because the gross out/shock factor wasn't funny at all. There is a reason why this is considered one of the worst films ever made. Avoid this piece of shit like the plague.

0/10

Trailer

On 08/11/2018 at 12:40 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Nobody in modern America speaks that way. I hate the way modern Americans speak, ''sucks ass'' etc., but love the old fashioned accents. Her off Raging Bull haha. 

It sounds alright in America, it just fuckin' clangs really badly over here but its becoming more and more common.  I've heard phrases like 'its all good' and 'hey guys' and 'dude' SOOO much in recent years.  If there's anything more unsettling to the digestion of ones breakfast than the sound of an English person going 'dude' I have yet to encounter it.  And the way the word 'cool' has been the go to way of saying 'yes', again it sounds cool when Americans do it, black Americans at that but out of an English persons mouth it makes you sound like a fuckin' minge. 

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

It sounds alright in America, it just fuckin' clangs really badly over here but its becoming more and more common.  I've heard phrases like 'its all good' and 'hey guys' and 'dude' SOOO much in recent years.  If there's anything more unsettling to the digestion of ones breakfast than the sound of an English person going 'dude' I have yet to encounter it.  And the way the word 'cool' has been the go to way of saying 'yes', again it sounds cool when Americans do it, black Americans at that but out of an English persons mouth it makes you sound like a fuckin' minge. 

I don't like any of it. You wouldn't hear Jimmy Stewart speaking like that.

Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler (1922)

Both parts, over four hours long.

A remarkable film. Weimer cinema epitomised, brimming with extraordinary Expressionist ideas, aesthetic ingenuity, psychological performances and subversive context - your can forgive it its copious length pertaining perhaps to self-indulgence. Fritz Lang is a genius. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:40 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Nobody in modern America speaks that way. I hate the way modern Americans speak, ''sucks ass'' etc., but love the old fashioned accents. Her off Raging Bull haha. 

Honestly, I am American and I agree many of us butcher the language. lol

I try to speak correctly and use the proper English when speaking, but being born in Brooklyn, sometimes my accent just comes out. Most of the people I meet in Texas just love my NY accent. lol

Breaking In with Gabrielle Union and Billy Burke I give it a 5/5

Silent Night Deadly Night 4

Silent Night Deadly Night 5

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Honestly, I am American and I agree many of us butcher the language. lol

I try to speak correctly and use the proper English when speaking, but being born in Brooklyn, sometimes my accent just comes out. Most of the people I meet in Texas just love my NY accent. lol

Breaking In with Gabrielle Union and Billy Burke I give it a 5/5

Silent Night Deadly Night 4

Silent Night Deadly Night 5

I have no problem with those old New York accents whatsoever. Embrace your Brooklyn-speak I say.