"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I have no problem with those old New York accents whatsoever. Embrace your Brooklyn-speak I say.

I have no choice in the matter. My mom and I have the same accents and we always give ourselves away whenever we are talking in public. lol

I do embrace it everyday of my life. I love and miss everything about Brooklyn.

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Geordie english is the best! 

What is that?

12 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I have no choice in the matter. My mom and I have the same accents and we always give ourselves away whenever we are talking in public. lol

I do embrace it everyday of my life. I love and miss everything about Brooklyn.

What is that?

8 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Most of Liams movies tend to be lol but I don't care for I love them all. He kicks ass! 

He’s the only action hero I watch now. The Grey was also a good movie, not so much action. The Commuter had elements of the Jake Gylnnehal movie I can’t remember what it was called. Time travel on a train, that one. But not really because Commuter isn’t time travel. I guess was like Michael Douglas in The Game. It was sort of like Source Code. Which reminds me that Enemy was kind of cool too. 

Edited by wasted

14 minutes ago, wasted said:

He’s the only action hero I watch now. The Grey was also a good movie, not so much action. The Commuter had elements of the Jake Gylnnehal movie I can’t remember what it was called. Time travel on a train, that one. But not really because Commuter isn’t time travel. I guess was like Michael Douglas in The Game. It was sort of like Source Code. Which reminds me that Enemy was kind of cool too. 

Yeah I know which movie you are talking about with Jake...I only saw it once and I forgot the title but that was another great train movie. Too bad they don't ever show that on tv.

50 minutes ago, marlingrl03 said:

Yeah I know which movie you are talking about with Jake...I only saw it once and I forgot the title but that was another great train movie. Too bad they don't ever show that on tv.

Yeah I only watch movies on tv and flights so I might be missing a lot of good movies. Noctural Animals was good and You Were Never Really Here was awesome. I haven’t really seen many new movies.

• Like 1

The Grinch

I went with my mom and my 8 year old daughter. We all loved it! So damn cute.

I think this version might be better than the tv original one.

So many cute characters and one is called "Axl".

If you love Xmas movies, you have to see this one!

14 hours ago, wasted said:

Love Liam

I thought the Commuter was bad ass. I saw an interview with Liam and he was laughing telling the producers that he's 60 years old and why is he still doing those action movies. I thought the Commuter had a good storyline even though I did guess who the bad guy was. Anyway, Liam's movies are always entertaining.

3 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The Grinch

I went with my mom and my 8 year old daughter. We all loved it! So damn cute.

I think this version might be better than the tv original one.

So many cute characters and one is called "Axl".

If you love Xmas movies, you have to see this one!

Love Liam

I thought the Commuter was bad ass. I saw an interview with Liam and he was laughing telling the producers that he's 60 years old and why is he still doing those action movies. I thought the Commuter had a good storyline even though I did guess who the bad guy was. Anyway, Liam's movies are always entertaining.

I felt like I was getting Taken movie and another movie so there was value for movie. Taken meets Speed meets Source code. 3 for 1.  So Commuter 2 would be awesome. 

Der Student von Prag (1913)

One of the most important films ever made, foreshadowing Weimer Expressionism and hence the entire genre of horror itself. You could actually argue that Expressionism commenced 1913, only to be derailed 1914-18 (for obvious reasons), recommencing 1920 (with Caligari). The film quality is a bit dodgy (it was actually deemed ''lost'' for years) but it is worth a watch if you're a student (no pun) of cinema.

Berlin: Die Sinfonie der Großstadt (1927)

There were a number of these documentary-films during the silent era where they literally filmed ''a city'' - ''city symphonies'' the genre was called - turning the city into a sort of live animal; they were avant-garde, ''pure cinema'', (Weimer) Berlin's being extra poignant given its tumultuous history afterwards, becoming almost like a time capsule piece. You see the influences of Soviet Montage here. I suppose this genre itself went on to influence social realism (German chamber flicks, Italian neo-realism, British kitchen sink, etc).  

11 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Der Student von Prag (1913)

One of the most important films ever made, foreshadowing Weimer Expressionism and hence the entire genre of horror itself. You could actually argue that Expressionism commenced 1913, only to be derailed 1914-18 (for obvious reasons), recommencing 1920 (with Caligari). The film quality is a bit dodgy (it was actually deemed ''lost'' for years) but it is worth a watch if you're a student (no pun) of cinema.

Berlin: Die Sinfonie der Großstadt (1927)

There were a number of these documentary-films during the silent era where they literally filmed ''a city'' - ''city symphonies'' the genre was called - turning the city into a sort of live animal; they were avant-garde, ''pure cinema'', (Weimer) Berlin's being extra poignant given its tumultuous history afterwards, becoming almost like a time capsule piece. You see the influences of Soviet Montage here. I suppose this genre itself went on to influence social realism (German chamber flicks, Italian neo-realism, British kitchen sink, etc).  

Not a single machine gun and no training montage. 

2/10

Two Fritz Lang classics,

The Big Heat (1953)

Probably Lang's most revered American film, a quintessential noir hard-boiler with Glenn Ford.

Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (1933)

Talkie sequel. Although it lacks the original silent's effervescent ''expressionist'' charm, this is a more than worthy sequel. Inspector Lohmann memorably appears from M - same actor (Otto Wernicke) - thus implying a shared Dr Mabuse-Hans Beckert universe haha. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Two Fritz Lang classics,

The Big Heat (1953)

Probably Lang's most revered American film, a quintessential noir hard-boiler with Glenn Ford.

Das Testament des Dr. Mabuse (1933)

Talkie sequel. Although it lacks the original silent's effervescent ''expressionist'' charm, this is a more than worthy sequel. Inspector Lohmann memorably appears from M - same actor (Otto Wernicke) - thus implying a shared Dr Mabuse-Hans Beckert universe haha. 

Have you ever seen Fury?  Lang directed, starring Spencer Tracey, you should check it out. 

31 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Whats that one like? Saw it for a quid in CEX on blu ray the other week might pick it up in a few weeks when i'm done with my current batch 

I was high as fuck and it seemed an easy watch, it was alright, worth the watch once through but its not something worth writing home about, can’t go wrong for a quid I suppose but it ain’t all that.