"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

I have been watching a bunch of (modern day) Nazi/war films,

Valkyrie (2008)

It took me this long to finally see it. Not bad. I liked the location work, filmed where the really plotters were executed, the Bendlerblock, the old Berlin Imperial Naval offices which I believe was housing army office space by the Hitler era. Eddie Izzard as a Nazi haha.

Conspiracy (2001)

This is about the Wannsee Conference of 1942, the meeting that coordinated the Final Solution, and rather played like a stagey theatrical piece by which there is an ironic callousness generated by the juxtapose of fat Germans gormandizing at this sumptuous banquet in this gorgeous mansion whilst plotting the bureaucratic murder of six million. Branagh is superb as Heydrich - looks bugger all like him mind. A heavy weight thespian piece.

The Lost Battalion (2001)

This is a generally superb war film about the 77th US Division who were surrounded at Meuse-Argonne 1918 and didn't surrender. 

The Book Thief (2013)

Very well acted/directed but meanders into schmaltz at times.

I'd recommend any of these films but especially Conspiracy and The Lost Battalion

Edited by DieselDaisy
Added Book Thief

Downfall (2004)

First time I have seen it since its initial release and it is still a border line masterwork. 

Nuremberg (2000)

It is good but Americanised in that the cross-examination of Gӧring by Jackson, played by one of the Baldwins, was ruined irreparably and it was in reality Maxwell Fyfe the British prosecutor, played by a still sprightly Christopher Plummer, who saved the day, and there is a pointless love interest introduced. Further minor errors, the Nuremberg Laws of 1935 were not promulgated at Nuremberg's Justice Palace - this was a regional court - but Berlin's Reichstag convened during the Nuremburg rallies, and the sentencing/verdicts were enacted separately. Nonetheless its heart is in the right place and its main premise, a study on how Gӧring effectively manipulated proceedings (even now), is correct and fascinating.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Inception. Not quite memorized the whole movie yet but it’s coming to quasi religous post about CD II soon. 

On 17/11/2018 at 10:59 PM, lukepowell1988 said:

Half the time I just think hes talking shit again lol

I’m the guy who does his job. You must be the other guy. 

Edited by wasted

The_Captain_(2017_film).jpg

Nazi film (2017) aka The Captain, true story about a private who, in the dying days of the Reich, nicked a Luftwaffe captain's uniform, pretended to be a top dog Nazi and took over a prisoner camp (of deserters), enacting about 90 executions. The remarkable thing: he was 21. (He was eventually arrested by the Nazis themselves but escaped. Post bellum, the British discovered his identity and executed the bastard).

This is done as a sort of exploitation film amidst Germany 1945, a dystopian wasteland. It is filmed in black and white and is devoid of stereotypical time piece referencing; it almost could have been done in the modern day. Perhaps there is a bit of a Inglorious Bastards influence here, the spaghetti western. The setting is certainly a place where ''life is cheap''. There is however something else at work though than mere exploitation, about interactions and human brutality. The film just goes about it without sentimentality. It is a very good film indeed and one I shall re-watch soon.

On 11/20/2018 at 12:16 PM, Len Cnut said:

He did?

I'd say so. Dominated the other defendants, contemptuously laughing in the gallery, talking and taking notes to such an extent that they separated him from the other inmates. You can see something of his ironic contempt here (the rest are shitting their pants but Göring is thoroughly unrepentant),

Spoiler

1024px-Defendants_in_the_dock_at_the_Nur

Defeated the American prosecutor's case, then ultimately cheated the hangman's noose by biting into a cyanide pill just before he was due to be hung, the theory being he befriended an American soldier who smuggled it in! 

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 26/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, Juventino said:

Caddyshack. What a laugh...I don't know how I hadn't seen it before.

Caddyshack 2 is fun too.

have you seen Fletch, Animal House, Blues Brothers? 

On 26/11/2018 at 6:46 AM, Len Cnut said:

Gone With the Wind (1939)

Is that the one where the number slug balancer of alltime says Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn? 

What good movies are there like Noctural Animals and You Were Never Really There? 

51 minutes ago, wasted said:

Caddyshack 2 is fun too.

have you seen Fletch, Animal House, Blues Brothers? 

Is that the one where the number slug balancer of alltime says Frankly my dear I don’t give a damn? 

What good movies are there like Noctural Animals and You Were Never Really There? 

No to Fletch and Animal House, haven't seen Blues Brothers for a long time.

I've seen this film a million times but I've noticed something.  The guy in the bed when they break through to the other room, the one that looks like David Gower, is it my imagination or is he taking it up the arse when Matrix and Cooke bust in?  Its around 1:54, he's fuckin' bent over and the birds behind him, what the fuck are they up to?!  The camera doesn't linger long enough to tell if there's a strap on in play but watch it, there's some poo pokin' goin' on there, I swear.

Creed 2, that film was fuckin' shite.  80% melodrama with the fuckin' deaf bird and 20% good stuff.  Adonis Creed just ain't a sympathetic character at this point.  Viktor Drago is infinitely more sympathetic a character and he's not fleshed out nearly enough, instead its a good hour plus of a rich American Adonis Creed moaning basically, he just comes across as whiney.  I'll give it this though, they didn't paint Drago and his son as bad guys as such but rather people with the mark of life on them like Rocky himself.  Also, what the fuck are they afraid of?  Why is it that, right off the bat, Rocky is suddenly warning his fighter off of Viktor Drago?  I mean it made sense in Rocky 4 because Ivan Drago kills Apollo right?  Why the fuck are they so afraid of Viktor, nothings happened! :lol:  Quite a let down if I'm honest, there's loads more reasons I could say but I don't wanna give the film away for anyone who ain't seen it. 

On 11/27/2018 at 7:02 AM, wasted said:

Fletch and Fletch Lives are something worth checking out. 

Not sure about Animal House but it has some classic scenes, must still hold up. 

If he didn't find Caddyshack dated, then i doubt he'll find Animal House dated. Certainly some scenes that probably had a detrimental effect on society and wouldn't be cool today.

It is one of those films you have to see though. First time i watched it i immediately started it over and watched it again.

Edited by -W.A.R-