"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Has some sort of revolution happened at the cinema and no ones told me?  Last time I went (which was a while ago, at least a year know) tickets were like a tenner a piece, maybe a touch more, went the other week and its like 6 quid a ticket.  Fuck, I'm gonna start going more often if thats the case regularly and it weren't just some sorta one off thing.  Checked though and its the same today too.

Movies cost about $10 here in Dallas. Maybe $9.50 for kids and seniors. Not including what snacks you get.

I have a Regal card and most times I get a free drink or pop corn or sometimes a free ticket.

Either way, it cost big bucks to see a movie these days.

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 12:32 PM, Sosso said:

I haven't watched the first Fantastic Beasts film yet to be honest, but the sequel was great. I'm glad that J. K. Rowling writes the screenplays for this series of spin-offs, because Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was garbabe. 

Well, I'll probably either buy the dvd or wait until HBO gets it. I saw the first one on HBO and was pleasantly surprised how good it was.

Movie tickets are on the expensive side here. Mostly because the theatre in my neighbourhood keeps adding VIP and Gourmet and Fancy Seats upgrades. They barely offer a 'basic' ticket anymore. And the add ons are all just one dollar more. So why not pay a buck extra for 3D, but if your doing that then why not $2 more for DBS, but if doing that why not go for IMAX, etc, etc. You can literally pay extra for the ability to arrive early to the theatre, take your fancy chair, order some bullshit "gourmet" meal, it gets delivered to you in the theatre. Then you finish it before the movie and order a beer. An you'd still have the option to upgrade from there for 3D, IMAX, DBS Sound.

You pay for an upgrade to VIP just to have the ability to buy their over pried 'gastro pub' food. And eat it while staring at a blank screen.

Traffik with Omar Epps and Paula Patton

I give it a 4/5. The movie is not a true story, but the subject matter definitely is. Made me sad and angry.

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Len Cnut said:

Sondra Locke has died.

Sad. She was married to Clint Eastwood years ago. She wrote an auto-biography saying Clint ruined her career. I know she was in some movies with him. She was 74. Clint is still going strong.

Cross of Iron (1977)

Sam Peckinpah's anti-war masterpiece. 

Breakthrough (1979 film)

B-movie sequel to the above and most definitely not a masterpiece. All the characters are played by different actors, a bored looking Richard Burton replacing James Coburn in the Steiner role. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Oi you, recommend me some films.  What's new thats good?  New as in last couple of years.

Cold War, First Reformed, The Favorite, Mom and Dad, Blindspotting, Roma, Sorry to Bother You, The Handmaiden, Elle, Phantom Thread, Loveless, White God, Weiner-Dog, Clouds Of Sils Maria, Personal Shopper, The Square, A Girl Walks Home At Night, The Wolfpack, Buzzard. 

Tbh I am much more invested in television nowadays, it took me forever to come up with that.

• Like 1

Sad. She was married to Clint Eastwood years ago. She wrote an auto-biography saying Clint ruined her career. I know she was in some movies with him. She was 74. Clint is still going strong.

My knowledge of the case is patchy but I think she was married to some gay guy, who she never divorced, then ended up living with Clint but was his wife due to like, I dunno, some kinda common law thing California has.  They got divorced and it was like one of the first of the big divorce settlement thingies and Eastwood basically set up this thing where he'd like...bankroll her directing on some level if she didn't take some huge settlement but it turned out he actually conspired with the studios to freeze her out. 

15 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

My knowledge of the case is patchy but I think she was married to some gay guy, who she never divorced, then ended up living with Clint but was his wife due to like, I dunno, some kinda common law thing California has.  They got divorced and it was like one of the first of the big divorce settlement thingies and Eastwood basically set up this thing where he'd like...bankroll her directing on some level if she didn't take some huge settlement but it turned out he actually conspired with the studios to freeze her out. 

Thats my understanding too, but with him ‘encouraging’ her to get at least two abortions because he didn’t want anymore kids...while he fathered at least two kids with other women while they were together. He is apparently a total cunt to be in a relationship with but she seems to have copped the worst of him.

Edited by Angelica

10 minutes ago, Angelica said:

Thats my understanding too, but with him ‘encouraging’ her to get at least two abortions because he didn’t want anymore kids...while he fathered at least two kids with other women while they were together. He is apparently a total cunt to be in a relationship with but she seems to have copped the worst of him.

The old boys club strikes again :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The old boys club strikes again :rolleyes:

And now all her obit press has his name in the headline. Although she’d be pretty much unknown if they hadn’t been together in the first place. So...irony is a bitch, essentially.

14 minutes ago, Angelica said:

And now all her obit press has his name in the headline. Although she’d be pretty much unknown if they hadn’t been together in the first place. So...irony is a bitch, essentially.

Yeah i was reading her obit in the Telegraph thinking wow, shes fallen off the perch and her entire obituary is basically about Clint, even in death she’s defined by the cunt and they divorced nigh on half a century ago.  

I disagree that she would’ve been unheard of without Clint, she was in Heart in a Lonely Hunter, copped a nomination before she even met Clint, artistically speaking meeting him was a kinda crap career move, though it may have been financially rewarding early doors.

The Cincinnati Kid (1965) Steve McQueen, Karl Malden, Ann Margaret (shes so sexy in this film, i would kill you all without a moments hesitation for a crack at that!) and Tuesday Weld

is it just me or is the movie consumption of mygnr plummeting?

Edited by Len Cnut

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

Hmmmm...How does one discuss The Phantom Menace? lol

Well on the positive side, in the original trilogy there was only one Princess Leia but in Phantom theres an entire gaggle of Queen Amidala's. And lots of the high tech film craft is really cool and still holds up.

On the negative side, Jedis were so fucked at that point that Ani is taken away from his Mother in short order and with out much discussion because it served the Jedis interests. Seriously creepy stuff. That plus all the low energy Senate and Jedi Council discussions interspersed with high energy race scenes and other 'made for the video games' vehicle sequences. Its jarring. Also, what the fuck is going on with the Yoda puppet in this Episode!?!?!?!?! :wow:

All that said, Im into it. The Prequels have imprinted onto so much of the Star Wars imagery, themes and force-uses since that they seem more and more familiar and natural with each viewing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sosso said:

Das Boot (Uncut)

This film is still one of my favourites about the Second World War. Die Brücke and Steiner are other favourites of mine. 

Regarding German produced war films, Stalingrad from 1993 is also a good one. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Regarding German produced war films, Stalingrad from 1993 is also a good one. 

That's true, but my personal favourite is still Der Untergang. Bruno Ganz played his role as Hitler a little bit to well, if you ask me. 

Edited by Sosso