"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

2 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Original=10/10

2049=6.5/10

It's all style no substance and rests too heavily on the laurels of the original. It should have been braver. I was rooting for it and gave it a fair chance.

Yeah? Well... You know, that's just like a... your opinion, man. ;)

Nevermind, here's one of the forgotten masterpieces.

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

I wasn't familiar with this one so I checked it out on IMDb.  Each scene was actually filmed twice, one take in English and one in French.  Pretty interesting.  

It was this along with the movie Farewell Friend with Alain Delon that made him a star in Europe, which in turn made America kinda take notice of his leading man potential, before he was kinda like the acting equivalent of the super sub in football, shining amazingly but almost always in supporting roles since the 50s.

Edited by Len Cnut

45 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It was this along with the movie Farewell Friend with Alain Delon that made him a star in Europe, which in turn made America kinda take notice of his leading man potential, before he was kinda like the acting equivalent of the super sub in football, shining amazingly but almost always in supporting roles since the 50s.

That's true, and he was almost 50 years old by this time.  

Runaway Train (1985) by Andrei Konchalovsky

Cast: Jon Voight, Eric Roberts, Rebecca De Mornay, Kenneth McMillan, John P. Ryan, Edward Bunker, Kyle T. Heffner, T. K. Carter

Music: Trevor Jones

Cinematography: Alan Hume

Marvelous acting, dialogues, music, cinematography and direction. Breathtaking and powerful movie.

Dolores Claiborne (1995) by Taylor Hackford

Cast: Kathy Bates, Jennifer Jason Leigh, David Strathairn, Judy Parfitt, Christopher Plummer, John C. Reilly, Eric Bogosian, Bob Gunton

Cinematography: Gabriel Beristain

Music: Danny Elfman

A simply brilliant movie. Perfect from start to finish. All the actors are outstanding in their performances, the music is beautiful and moving, and about the cinematography... I've never seen a better shot movie. It's pure visual poetry, each still frame is a little masterpiece. Mind-blowing. The whole movie is mind-blowing.

• Like 1

On 5/12/2019 at 4:02 AM, Drexl said:

Runaway Train (1985) by Andrei Konchalovsky

Cast: Jon Voight, Eric Roberts, Rebecca De Mornay, Kenneth McMillan, John P. Ryan, Edward Bunker, Kyle T. Heffner, T. K. Carter

Music: Trevor Jones

Cinematography: Alan Hume

Marvelous acting, dialogues, music, cinematography and direction. Breathtaking and powerful movie.

Totally agree, it's been years since I've seen it but it made a definite impression. 

• Like 1

Romeo is Bleeding (1993) by Peter Medak

Cast: Gary Oldman, Lena Olin, Annabella Sciorra, Juliette Lewis, Roy Scheider, Michael Wincott, Will Patton

Music: Mark Isham

Cinematography: Dariusz Wolski

What can I say about this one? This is a movie about lust, sexual lust and lust of money. It's about how easy is to lose clear perception and self-awareness. It's about love, betrayal, fear, greed, hate, then loneliness. It's about how we start appreciating things and people only when we lose them.
It was the second movie with Gary Oldman I've ever seen. The first one was, of course, Leon. And after those two movies, I knew he's the greatest. His diversity, all possible emotions, in facial expression and voice... Jesus, what an artist. You just can't take your eyes off him. And you feel what he feels.
The supporting cast is also wonderful. Everybody's talking about Lena Olin (deservedly), but Annabella Sciorra is criminally overlooked. She's so naturally charming and wise. And like all smart women, she knows much more about her husband, than he could ever have imagined.
Mark Isham's score is a masterpiece on its own. It's like his greatest hits in one, his jazz and electronic sides coexist and intersect here with such ease. One of my all-time favorite albums, not just soundtracks.
Cinematography in this movie is simply beautiful, camera shots and lighting are mesmerizing.
The direction and script are flawless. This movie is a pure feast for the eyes and ears. The problem is most people prefer cheap burgers. Their loss.
Since over 20 years I love this movie more and more every time I watch it and I'm never fed up with it.

Edited by Drexl

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I tend to do that, go through periods of watching films by actor or director or genre or movement, fuck knows why.  

I totally understand.  I'm actually not a big movie watcher, per se, but I love the art form and reading about movies, moviemaking,  and actors.  I haven't been to a movie theater in over 15 years.