"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

Pet Sematary (2019)

I’m honestly very surprised this has gotten the pats on the back that it has. I’ve read the book 5 times and  generally have a fondness for the ‘89 film.

But nothing in this remake was better then the last attempt. It has a weak script compared to the ‘89 film, which King himself wrote. It’s not scary, the characters and the character relationships carried no weight and the “changes” didn’t help make a different movie that actually worked.

I guess if I had to praise it, I’d say the cat looks more fearsome and they got around a huge logistical problem by not having a reanimated three year old this time (the old film suffers the most for how impossible it is to pull that off).

I don’t know. I love Stephen King and in particular, I love the novel Pet Sematary, but this isn’t much of a darling.

On 4/2/2019 at 3:57 PM, lame ass security said:

Race With The Devil (1975)  People in an RV on the run from crazy ass devil worshippers, what more could you want from a movie?

I saw that. It was pretty good for a 70's movie.

I watched "The Dark Tower" with Idris Elba and Matthew M. It was okay. Based on the novel by SK, which I never read.

Don't know who the kid was that played in it.

Looks like it was left open to maybe do a sequel, if/when SK did another book. I think he didn't write more about this subject, but not sure? Last SK book I read was "Cell", which was good and ruined by the movie.

On 4/4/2019 at 10:35 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Shazam! is recommend.

Is it? It looks cute. My daughter doesn't want to see it, so will have to wait until it is on cable. lol

We do want to see The Missing Link. Looks very cute.

On 4/4/2019 at 8:12 PM, appetite4illusions said:

Pet Sematary (2019)

I’m honestly very surprised this has gotten the pats on the back that it has. I’ve read the book 5 times and  generally have a fondness for the ‘89 film.

But nothing in this remake was better then the last attempt. It has a weak script compared to the ‘89 film, which King himself wrote. It’s not scary, the characters and the character relationships carried no weight and the “changes” didn’t help make a different movie that actually worked.

I guess if I had to praise it, I’d say the cat looks more fearsome and they got around a huge logistical problem by not having a reanimated three year old this time (the old film suffers the most for how impossible it is to pull that off).

I don’t know. I love Stephen King and in particular, I love the novel Pet Sematary, but this isn’t much of a darling.

I did read the book and thought it was very creepy. Saw the original movie too. Doubt I'll pay over $10 bucks to see this version. Will wait until it comes on cable.

It looks like more detail comes out about the Pet Semetary with more kids involved than the original one and a different kid dies too.

Yeah, the cat actually looks better and maybe they used a real cat in some parts.

I'm tired of remakes. New Child's play is coming out too and it looks to me like Chucky is like a robot or something. I heard Mark Hamill voices Chucky this time around.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I watched "The Dark Tower" with Idris Elba and Matthew M. It was okay. Based on the novel by SK, which I never read.

Don't know who the kid was tha

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Don't know who the kid was that played in it.

Looks like it was left open to maybe do a sequel, if/when SK did another book. I think he didn't write more about this subject, but not sure? Last SK book I read was "Cell", which was good and ruined by the movie.

Is it? It looks cute. My daughter doesn't want to see it, so will have to wait until it is on cable. lol

t played in it.

Have you ever seen the Shazam series from the 70s?  Man, that is some glorious cheese there.  Billy Batson travelling the highways and byways with his old creepy "mentor", whose actual name was Mr. Mentor. 

The Matrix

It was apparent that it is incredibly mid-late '90s. Lots of extremely loud industrial metal and leather alongside the obligatory metally-rave scene. It has aged the film somewhat.

And Clint season,

Heartbreak Ridge

Very Reaganized 1980s ''Jarhead'' film. Not one of Clint's finer efforts.

Play Misty for Me 

As excellent as I remember. 

The Beguiled (1971)

Bit of a near masterpiece. The prevalence of anti-hero types is remarkable (and very 1970s).

Invictus (2009)

Better than I expected (I usually don't like biopic affairs).

7Jy8Uajk5ISBjYtPYEgsXLGJZO4.jpg

Barbie Can Also Be Sad

2002 Spanish stop-motion animation film featuring Ken and Barbie dolls. Engaging in sexual (and some rather kinky) activities. Also some violence. The plot evolves around troubles in their marriage, due to Ken being a jerk. Will Barbie find happiness?

This....this is bizarre. When this says sexual kinky activities, they aren't bullshitting. I wish the stop-motion was better executed because the movements of the dolls sometime come off as not very fluid. Also the voice over acting can be very stilted and the recorded audio can be too loud, that it sounds like its clipping. The plot is VERY basic but enjoyable if you're in to this kind of shit.

2.5 out of 5

BTW - I found out about this film through this reviewer. (NSFW)

Edited by Jabberwocky

On 09/04/2019 at 4:17 AM, DieselDaisy said:

And Clint season,

Heartbreak Ridge

Very Reaganized 1980s ''Jarhead'' film. Not one of Clint's finer efforts.

Play Misty for Me 

As excellent as I remember. 

The Beguiled (1971)

Bit of a near masterpiece. The prevalence of anti-hero types is remarkable (and very 1970s).

Clint Eastwoods entire filmography can essentially be condensed into like...a detailed exploration of a certain generations masculinity, assessing it, perhaps playing with certain archetypes surrounding it etc and Heartbreak Ridge sort of fits into that for me, essentially its about a bloke in a crossroads of life where he has to reconcile the gung ho way that he has lived his life with a modern world and contemporary notions regarding gender relations etc and its a coming to terms with and finding his position in relation to that in a changing world. 

The Beguiled, Misty, Breezy (which no one seems to think much of), Bronco Billy are like...underrated near masterpieces as you say, of the  Eastwood canon to me.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 3:58 PM, lame ass security said:

Have you ever seen the Shazam series from the 70s?  Man, that is some glorious cheese there.  Billy Batson travelling the highways and byways with his old creepy "mentor", whose actual name was Mr. Mentor. 

didn't know there was a series. I do remember the horrible movie with Shaq. lol

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Clint Eastwoods entire filmography can essentially be condensed into like...a detailed exploration of a certain generations masculinity, assessing it, perhaps playing with certain archetypes surrounding it etc and Heartbreak Ridge sort of fits into that for me, essentially its about a bloke in a crossroads of life where he has to reconcile the gung ho way that he has lived his life with a modern world and contemporary notions regarding gender relations etc and its a coming to terms with and finding his position in relation to that in a changing world. 

The Beguiled, Misty, Breezy (which no one seems to think much of), Bronco Billy are like...underrated near masterpieces as you say, of the  Eastwood canon to me.

My mom saw Play Misty for me back in 1971 when it was released! She said it freaked her out! lol

I've seen it since on cable and it still holds up.

I have seen the new Beguiled with Collin Farrell and it was so damn boring. I dvr'd it and sped through half of it. Terribly slow and such bad acting.

54 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

didn't know there was a series. I do remember the horrible movie with Shaq. lol

My mom saw Play Misty for me back in 1971 when it was released! She said it freaked her out! lol

I've seen it since on cable and it still holds up.

I have seen the new Beguiled with Collin Farrell and it was so damn boring. I dvr'd it and sped through half of it. Terribly slow and such bad acting.

Yeah, it was on Saturday afternoon, or morning depending on the local market.  It was usually on back to back with a similar show called Isis. The actress who played Isis was a knockout.

Edited by lame ass security

The crazy woman was Jessica Walter and Clint's g/f was played by Donna Mills who was on Knot's landing a nighttime soap in the 80's. Some of the characters were related to the characters on Dallas. Donna Mills was always so pretty. She has been on General Hospital recently and I think some online soaps. The woman has to be in her 70's, but is still so pretty.

Equalizer 2 with Denzel. This movie was freakin awesome! God I was screaming! Loved it!

Unfriended:The Dark Web  This movie was a bore. Didn't care about any of the characters so when they were killed I didn't care. it just annoys me when so called friends talk to each other over a computer screen instead of getting together in person. Whatever!

On 4/12/2019 at 12:27 AM, Black Sabbath said:

Hellboy (2019) - Worst movie I’ve seen from 2019 so far. 

I liked the first two with Ron Perlman. Guess he's getting too old to play Hellboy? Anyway, thanks for the update. Won't waste my money on this one.

On 4/15/2019 at 12:09 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Watched the first three episodes of the new Twilight Zone reboot. The first episode is a bit long, but I enjoyed all three so far.

What We Do In The Shadows is delightful and I wish the episodes were longer.

Started Happy Season 2.

Season 2 of Happy is insane! I don't know whether to laugh or cringe. Sometimes I do both. Love little Happy so much! Makes me wish imaginary friends were real.

Ann Margaret was in last week's episode. She's amazing! The dance and singing number she and Happy did was so damn cute! The woman has still got it!

The Rookie (1990)

Quintessential doughnut chomping 1980s buddy cop flick but with Clint you know that will be better than any of the others. 

Tightrope (1984)

Really interesting thriller which teases you with some Vertigo style psychological plot-twisty directions. It doesn't always hang together but it is a superb gritty murder thriller. 

The Unforgiven (1992)

Still as fine a film as I remember. Clint holds back but when the bloodletting starts!

On 19/04/2019 at 6:23 AM, DieselDaisy said:

The Rookie (1990)

Quintessential doughnut chomping 1980s buddy cop flick but with Clint you know that will be better than any of the others. 

Tightrope (1984)

Really interesting thriller which teases you with some Vertigo style psychological plot-twisty directions. It doesn't always hang together but it is a superb gritty murder thriller. 

The Unforgiven (1992)

Still as fine a film as I remember. Clint holds back but when the bloodletting starts!

You should watch The Shootist with John Wayne, it has a lot in common thematically with the Unforgiven...and predates it by 16 years.  Tightrope is fucking fantastic...don’t remember too much about The Rookie except a really horny scene with Clint tied to a chair and a comment he makes about defacing cars with vulgar bright colour...good thing no one ever showed him John Lennons Rolls :lol: