"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

43 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I totally understand.  I'm actually not a big movie watcher, per se, but I love the art form and reading about movies, moviemaking,  and actors.  I haven't been to a movie theater in over 15 years.

I get through about 5 films a week on average, sometimes more, sometimes less, I adore film, it takes me away from my shit life and all across the bounds of human imagination, I could be in WW2 tommorow, or Paris in the 60s or in a courtroom or an impressionist dream, its been like a window to the world to me all my life, hopelessly addicted.

25 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I get through about 5 films a week on average, sometimes more, sometimes less, I adore film, it takes me away from my shit life and all across the bounds of human imagination, I could be in WW2 tommorow, or Paris in the 60s or in a courtroom or an impressionist dream, its been like a window to the world to me all my life, hopelessly addicted.

Do you have a favorite genre?  

6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Do you have a favorite genre?  

Uh, not really, no.  There's certain genres I'm less into, which is Sci Fi I guess, fantasy stuff like Sword and Sorcery...and musicals, though I've seen a fair few of all of those genres too.  Its not even that I have anything against them as such, its just I like stories, characters and often in those sorts of movies the conventions are so overbearing that they overshadow story and character, sort of like the way its an oft-heard criticism of modern cinema that the special effects are kinda the whole movie but even in the aforementioned genres this isn't always the case and they have some great movies.

But generally I like everything, I feel like its kinda like all there for me to explore over my lifetime and anything I don't like or haven't fallen in love with I have the rest of my lifetime to do so, kinda like music, its all there for me as and when I wanna dig in but overall I love all kinds  of movies across all sorts of genres, countries, languages, it doesn't really matter, a story is a story y'know?  From Kitchen Sink Dramas to Romance to 1940s Melodrama, Romantic Comedies, just anything.  I must admit though that Hollywood is my first and probably my enduring love.  Right from its inception to today, for as much French and German and Hong Kong and other types of movies I've seen I really love Hollywood cinema, if you went through the AFI list of greatest stars like Bogart and Cagney and Robert Mitchum, James Stewart, Marlon Brando, Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman, Henry Fonda etc etc I've seen most of there movies.  These people are like heroes to me.  A lot of those older actors are kinda like...it was easier to make heroes of them because relatively little was known about them in the way we kinda follow stars around nowadays and its a lot more of a cynical time too I think, we kinda see all their dirty laundry whereas those old guys were like...mythical figures almost, Mitchum, Henry Fonda, Bogart, Cagney, they had such presence, people like Cagney just lit up the screen.  Then like lesser remembered ones like Paul Muni who was hugely important in the evolution of modern theatre, or George Raft or John Garfield or Victor Mature or Sterling Hayden.  I really love theatrical movies too, thats a HUGE one for me, like adaptations of stage plays, limited setting, purely character and plot driven stuff, thematic undercurrent kinda stuff.  I'd probably love the theatre a lot more than I do if I could afford to go regular.  Betrayal is on at the Pinter Theatre right now and its like a couple of hundred quid a ticket. 

And now I think about it my most comfort food-ish genres are like...Film Noir, Westerns, very American genres.  But then I love the artsier stuff too, the various movements from the classical German Expressionism and Italian Neo Realism to fuckin' Dogmae 95 and Pasolini movies, Lindsay Anderson stuff.  Even like, experimental stuff, militant cinema, even like Warhols shit, which are just experimentations in film really, they're not meant to be watched as such.  I like a lot of the old silent era stuff too like DW Griffith, Cecil B DeMille.

You gotta cut me off when I'm talking about film in person like 'yeeeeah, shut the fuck up now' cuz if I get a roll going I'll talk your ears off :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Uh, not really, no.  There's certain genres I'm less into, which is Sci Fi I guess, fantasy stuff like Sword and Sorcery...and musicals, though I've seen a fair few of all of those genres too.  Its not even that I have anything against them as such, its just I like stories, characters and often in those sorts of movies the conventions are so overbearing that they overshadow story and character, sort of like the way its an oft-heard criticism of modern cinema that the special effects are kinda the whole movie but even in the aforementioned genres this isn't always the case and they have some great movies.

But generally I like everything, I feel like its kinda like all there for me to explore over my lifetime and anything I don't like or haven't fallen in love with I have the rest of my lifetime to do so, kinda like music, its all there for me as and when I wanna dig in but overall I love all kinds  of movies across all sorts of genres, countries, languages, it doesn't really matter, a story is a story y'know?  From Kitchen Sink Dramas to Romance to 1940s Melodrama, Romantic Comedies, just anything.  I must admit though that Hollywood is my first and probably my enduring love.  Right from its inception to today, for as much French and German and Hong Kong and other types of movies I've seen I really love Hollywood cinema, if you went through the AFI list of greatest stars like Bogart and Cagney and Robert Mitchum, James Stewart, Marlon Brando, Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman, Henry Fonda etc etc I've seen most of there movies.  These people are like heroes to me.  A lot of those older actors are kinda like...it was easier to make heroes of them because relatively little was known about them in the way we kinda follow stars around nowadays and its a lot more of a cynical time too I think, we kinda see all their dirty laundry whereas those old guys were like...mythical figures almost, Mitchum, Henry Fonda, Bogart, Cagney, they had such presence, people like Cagney just lit up the screen.  Then like lesser remembered ones like Paul Muni who was hugely important in the evolution of modern theatre, or George Raft or John Garfield or Victor Mature or Sterling Hayden.  I really love theatrical movies too, thats a HUGE one for me, like adaptations of stage plays, limited setting, purely character and plot driven stuff, thematic undercurrent kinda stuff.  I'd probably love the theatre a lot more than I do if I could afford to go regular.  Betrayal is on at the Pinter Theatre right now and its like a couple of hundred quid a ticket. 

And now I think about it my most comfort food-ish genres are like...Film Noir, Westerns, very American genres.  But then I love the artsier stuff too, the various movements from the classical German Expressionism and Italian Neo Realism to fuckin' Dogmae 95 and Pasolini movies, Lindsay Anderson stuff.  Even like, experimental stuff, militant cinema, even like Warhols shit, which are just experimentations in film really, they're not meant to be watched as such.  I like a lot of the old silent era stuff too like DW Griffith, Cecil B DeMille.

You gotta cut me off when I'm talking about film in person like 'yeeeeah, shut the fuck up now' cuz if I get a roll going I'll talk your ears off :lol:

Very cool.  You're absolutely right about the older stars, there was a mysticism and mystery attached to them that you just don't have anymore.  They really were larger than life.  There's also a dream like atmosphere with the older movies, especially when you delve into the silent material.  

Star Wars (aka Star Wars: A New Hope)

"Dont call me a mindless philosopher you over weight glob of grease!" :lol:

Lucas has sure written some clunkers, but there is some excellent repartee in Star Wars IV! I'd be happy if Star Wars continued to be the saga of C-3PO and R2, they will be missed.

23 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Very cool.  You're absolutely right about the older stars, there was a mysticism and mystery attached to them that you just don't have anymore.  They really were larger than life.  There's also a dream like atmosphere with the older movies, especially when you delve into the silent material.  

Totally agree with you guys on this. I can't help it, but today's movies I often find lacking charm compared to the old classics. I think I might have a tendency to romanticize a bit what came before me... always more excited about the past than present/future and feeling nostalgic for times I haven't lived myself. So there's that, and than the current homogenization of Hollywood movies most certainly is another reason for me favoring older cinema. 

1 hour ago, vikute91 said:

Totally agree with you guys on this. I can't help it, but today's movies I often find lacking charm compared to the old classics. I think I might have a tendency to romanticize a bit what came before me... always more excited about the past than present/future and feeling nostalgic for times I haven't lived myself. So there's that, and than the current homogenization of Hollywood movies most certainly is another reason for me favoring older cinema. 

I just wonder if future generations will look back at current cinema with the same romanticism and nostalgia.   

The reason movies from yesteryear, at least pertaining to Hollywood which I believe we are all referring to here, are more revered is simply that they were superior; yes, nostalgia and romanticism may play a part but the films of Old Hollywood possessed superior writing, aesthetics, technical accomplishments and acting. 

26 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

The reason movies from yesteryear, at least pertaining to Hollywood which I believe we are all referring to here, are more revered is simply that they were superior; yes, nostalgia and romanticism may play a part but the films of Old Hollywood possessed superior writing, aesthetics, technical accomplishments and acting. 

I dunno, there are still good movies made, I couldn’t really say actually, I don’t watch em so much because there’s just so much in the past that interests me and its kinda there waiting and easily accessible now too.  Come to think of it, yeah, when i look at the cinema listings at my local i cant find shit, tonight for examples there’s:

Aladdin, boring

Rocketman, fuck that

Pokemon, Detective Pikachu, next

John Wick 3, maybe, saw the first one, probably worth a watch but doesn’t especially grab or intrigue me

Avengers: Endgame, boring

The Hustle, had to look it up, looks shite, that fat bird Rebel Wilson stars

The Curse of La Llorona, some horror, might be worth a watch

Long Shot, some Seth Rogen comedy, don’t look too interesting

Tolkien, boring.

Of those the horror is the only one that looks vaguely interesting...and the listings have been like that for the last few weeks. Now why suffer all that when I could download some forgotten film noir gem and be entertained for 90 mins.

If you ain’t into lightweight insubstantial comedy, Elton John, cartoons and comic superheroes or Tolkien you’re fucked.

Edited by Len Cnut

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, there are still good movies made, I couldn’t really say actually, I don’t watch em so much because there’s just so much in the past that interests me and its kinda there waiting and easily accessible now too.  Come to think of it, yeah, when i look at the cinema listings at my local i cant find shit, tonight for examples there’s:

Aladdin, boring

Rocketman, fuck that

Pokemon, Detective Pikachu, next

John Wick 3, maybe, saw the first one, probably worth a watch but doesn’t especially grab or intrigue me

Avengers: Endgame, boring

The Hustle, had to look it up, looks shite, that fat bird Rebel Wilson stars

The Curse of La Llorona, some horror, might be worth a watch

Long Shot, some Seth Rogen comedy, don’t look too interesting

Tolkien, boring.

Of those the horror is the only one that looks vaguely interesting...and the listings have been like that for the last few weeks. Now why suffer all that when I could download some forgotten film noir gem and be entertained for 90 mins.

See. You have just defeated your own rebuttal. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

See. You have just defeated your own rebuttal. 

There was a good Mel Gibson film the other week Dragged Across Concrete but yeah, few and far between.  Shame cuz I love the cinema, I’d go every week if there was something worth watching, I know I sound picky but I’m really not, I’ll watch most things but as you can see its just proper shite out there.  

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There was a good Mel Gibson film the other week Dragged Across Concrete but yeah, few and far between.  Shame cuz I love the cinema, I’d go every week if there was something worth watching, I know I sound picky but I’m really not, I’ll watch most things but as you can see its just proper shite out there.  

I agree, but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has me quasi intrigued.  Then The Irishman comes out later this year.  Btw, I saw something about Withnail and I last night and thought that was something you would like, have you seen it?

51 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I agree, but Once Upon a Time in Hollywood has me quasi intrigued.  Then The Irishman comes out later this year.  Btw, I saw something about Withnail and I last night and thought that was something you would like, have you seen it?

I have yes, its sort of a cult classic of these isles.  And yeah The Irishman and Once Upon have me intrigued too although, I dunno, is it intrigue there or more a case of knowing what I’m going to get?  Not that I’m necessarily trying to frame that as a bad thing.

Edited by Len Cnut

20 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I have yes, its sort of a cult classic of these isles.  And yeah The Irishman and Once Upon have me intrigued too although, I dunno, is it intrigue there or more a case of knowing what I’m going to get?  Not that I’m necessarily trying to frame that as a bad thing.

Well, I just read a review of Once Upon and it said Tarantino goes to his usual bag of tricks for the ending but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The reviewer was not really a fan of Tarantino but he liked the movie.

Edited by lame ass security

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

See, you're scratching around for sodden Mel Gibson films yet If you lived in 1956 for instance you could have seen Ten Commandments, SearchersGiantWrong Man, Rock Around the Clock and the second Man Who Knew Too Much - to name just a few - and still have time to hear ''Heartbreak Hotel'', ''Roll Over Beethoven'' and ''Long Tall Sally'' debut.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

See, you're scratching around for sodden Mel Gibson films yet If you lived in 1956 for instance you could have seen Ten Commandments, SearchersGiantWrong Man, Rock Around the Clock and the second Man Who Knew Too Much - to name just a few - and still have time to hear ''Heartbreak Hotel'', ''Roll Over Beethoven'' and ''Long Tall Sally'' debut.

I’ve seen and heard all of the above many times over, in fact I know most of em by heart :lol:  But yeah, I get that thats not your point.

12 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Well, I just read a review of Once Upon and it said Tarantino goes to his usual bag of tricks for the ending but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  The reviewer was not really a fan of Tarantino but he liked the movie.

All Tarantino movies after "Jackie Brown" are so fucking overrated.

7 hours ago, Drexl said:

All Tarantino movies after "Jackie Brown" are so fucking overrated.

Maybe, but I guess you could say everything Orson Welles did after Citizen Kane was overrated too. I'm not really a big fan of Tarantino but I do tend to like his movies, usually for the actors involved.  Like in Once Upon I'm a big Brad Pitt fan(being a fellow Missourian) so I'll probably enjoy it.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I’d struggle to make that argument.

I was more trying to make the point that when you set the bar so high, especially early in your career like Tarantino and Welles, that everything afterward is looked at with somewhat of a skewed viewpoint.  Some people will say everything is great while others will trash it because they feel it isn't another masterpiece. Just an aside, I thought that Stanley Kubrick directed Touch of Evil but it was Welles.  I don't know why I thought that.