"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

On 08/06/2019 at 8:50 PM, lame ass security said:

That's the one with Armand Asante? I did see that,  really good.  I think it was a made for TV movie on HBO.

I watched it cuz someone on the forum mentioned it, this thread, stuck in my head, then I saw an interview with Michael Franceze and he mentioned it as one of the best mob films he's ever seen in terms of realism and i went hey thats the movie the guy on the forum was talking about, so I watched it.  So since I watched that I watched the other one he mentioned, Witness to the Mob.  Liked em both actually, they ain't the Godfather but good, entertaining enough, Gotti especially, quite good for a TV movie.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:26 PM, Drexl said:

The Salton Sea (2002) by D.J. Caruso

Cast: Val Kilmer, Vincent D'Onofrio, Peter Sarsgaard, Doug Hutchison, Anthony LaPaglia, Deborah Kara Unger, Glenn Plummer, Chandra West, Luis Guzman, Adam Goldberg, Danny Trejo

Cinematography: Amir Mokri

Music: Thomas Newman

Another criminally overlooked masterpiece. Brilliant acting, great story, beautifully filmed, flawless direction and music.

Like all the great movies, this one is not what it seems to be. There are many layers in this movie. Sure, it's about tweakers, but it's also about friendship, revenge, lost love. It's about looking for your place in the world. And it's fucking entertaining. And accurate.

Although any suggested violence against animals generally distresses me...the pigeon re-enactment of JFK’s assassination is...well...really fucking funny. 😳  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Angelica said:

Although any suggested violence against animals generally distresses me...the pigeon re-enactment of JFK’s assassination is...well...really fucking funny. 😳  

-Zapruder?

-Ready.

-Oswald!

-Ready.

-Grassy knoll?

-Ready.

-And the undeniable third shooter?

:lol:

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, Black Sabbath said:

Mission: Impossible - Fallout... for like the 5th time.

Definitely my favorite of the M:I films, but they're all great in their own way, with the last three being the best of the series. Can't wait for the next two over the next couple of years.

What happened to Jeremy Renner's character? I thought it was too long and too many car chases. lol

On 6/10/2019 at 4:23 AM, Len Cnut said:

I watched it cuz someone on the forum mentioned it, this thread, stuck in my head, then I saw an interview with Michael Franceze and he mentioned it as one of the best mob films he's ever seen in terms of realism and i went hey thats the movie the guy on the forum was talking about, so I watched it.  So since I watched that I watched the other one he mentioned, Witness to the Mob.  Liked em both actually, they ain't the Godfather but good, entertaining enough, Gotti especially, quite good for a TV movie.

Im sure Franzese mentioning how unrealistic The Sopranos is was much to your delight :lol:

11 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Im sure Franzese mentioning how unrealistic The Sopranos is was much to your delight :lol:

No but it did kinda compound my lack of desire to watch it.  I just, I dunno, when I wanna watch a mob thing I wanna watch a mob thing, y'know?  I dunno about delight though, I want The Sopranos to be good, I want to be entertained, it just doesn't look like it has it.  I've never gotten on with spoofs either.  Like Don't Be a Menace, Scary Movie, Blazing Saddles, I've never even seen Blazing Saddles.  They're kinda like...I dunno, one note jokes?  I don't mind sending things up but you gotta be clever about it which I suspect The Sopranos might be so, y'know, I might give it a go.  I think there's a lot of these 'new' yank TV shows I might like but, I dunno, I'm very much a movies kid, eight seasons of some shit, thats a lot of time for me to invest in some shit for it to turn out dud.  There's some gangster shit here in England called Peaky Blinders that looks interesting too.  The Wire has Meth-Tical in it which is fuckin' reccomendation enough, I've watched some pure fuckin' bullshit just to see my man Meth' in a movie (like The Cobbler, what the fuck was that about it?  But its alright cuz its Meth' :lol:

But yeah, I'm a movies kinda kid, TV is like...meh, I dunno, doesn't do it for me really.  Though as per usual that shit is probably great and I'll arrive at the party 15 years late or whatever. 

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

Got drunk while watching That Thing You Do!. It worked surprisingly well... I woke up the next day and had all those songs stuck in my head.

I remember watching that and liking it, corny as fuck though it is.

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

I remember watching that and liking it, corny as fuck though it is.

It really is, but it's a fun little film with some decent early Beatlesque songs in it... plus I always like films about bands, especially from that era.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

It really is, but it's a fun little film with some decent early Beatlesque songs in it... plus I always like films about bands, especially from that era.

I guess to a few generations thats like a dream, being in a band that makes it big.

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I guess to a few generations thats like a dream, being in a band that makes it big.

It's been a dream of mine. Or maybe not to make it big, I don't know if I would enjoy being in a popular band, but to be succesful with my music.

What I also like about this film is the dynamics between the bandmembers. I have played in bands for a long time and it's recognizable, there is always the talented one, the one who doesn't care, the smart one, the one who is ready to leave the band at any moment. That is how this film ends, they score one big hit and then they break up... it is realistic, it's very difficult to keep a band together. I would have enjoyed it less had it ended with them being the next big band from the 60's.

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

It's been a dream of mine. Or maybe not to make it big, I don't know if I would enjoy being in a popular band, but to be succesful with my music.

What I also like about this film is the dynamics between the bandmembers. I have played in bands for a long time and it's recognizable, there is always the talented one, the one who doesn't care, the smart one, the one who is ready to leave the band at any moment. That is how this film ends, they score one big hit and then they break up... it is realistic, it's very difficult to keep a band together. I would have enjoyed it less had it ended with them being the next big band from the 60's.

doin that thing you dooooo, breakin' my heart into a million piecessss :lol:  I've only seen the film twice but that song has stuck with me!

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

doin that thing you dooooo, breakin' my heart into a million piecessss :lol:  I've only seen the film twice but that song has stuck with me!

I think I've seen it in the 90's a couple of times, but I'm always looking for drinking movies and then I thought of this one. It needs a lot of music, and after watching Dazed and Confused and Almost Famous a couple of billion times after getting fucked up, I needed something new... and this one worked rather well the other day.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think I've seen it in the 90's a couple of times, but I'm always looking for drinking movies and then I thought of this one. It needs a lot of music, and after watching Dazed and Confused and Almost Famous a couple of billion times after getting fucked up, I needed something new... and this one worked rather well the other day.

Fear and Loathing?

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Fear and Loathing?

I haven't seen that one in ages, I don't remember if there is a lot of music in it. I need music, when I'm drinking on my own I'm either watching concerts or movies with lots of music in it... Dazed is great because there's a song blasting through every 6 minutes and a lot of pointless conversations. I downloaded Adventureland the other day and that one kinda works, there's even some The Replacements in it, and Kristen Stewart, which isn't bad either.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I haven't seen that one in ages, I don't remember if there is a lot of music in it. I need music, when I'm drinking on my own I'm either watching concerts or movies with lots of music in it... Dazed is great because there's a song blasting through every 6 minutes and a lot of pointless conversations. I downloaded Adventureland the other day and that one kinda works, there's even some The Replacements in it, and Kristen Stewart, which isn't bad either.

The Doors movie?  Suitably brainless and drink encouraging.  The documentary Amazing Journey about The Who, plenty of loud aggressive music that lends itself to boozing, plus clips of Keith Moon, that always gets me into my ale.

4 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The Doors movie?  Suitably brainless and drink encouraging.  The documentary Amazing Journey about The Who, plenty of loud aggressive music that lends itself to boozing, plus clips of Keith Moon, that always gets me into my ale.

Oh yeah, The Doors used to be my go-to drink movie for sure. Stand By Me also works for me... it's not a great drinking movie, but there's some decent 50's music going on and that film is like watching an episode of my childhood... nostalgia and booze is a weird trip sometimes. Thanks for the tips, I should download some more music documentaries.

28 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Oh yeah, The Doors used to be my go-to drink movie for sure. Stand By Me also works for me... it's not a great drinking movie, but there's some decent 50's music going on and that film is like watching an episode of my childhood... nostalgia and booze is a weird trip sometimes. Thanks for the tips, I should download some more music documentaries.

Tell me that don't get you in the mood for a booze up :lol:

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

No but it did kinda compound my lack of desire to watch it.  I just, I dunno, when I wanna watch a mob thing I wanna watch a mob thing, y'know?  I dunno about delight though, I want The Sopranos to be good, I want to be entertained, it just doesn't look like it has it.  I've never gotten on with spoofs either.  Like Don't Be a Menace, Scary Movie, Blazing Saddles, I've never even seen Blazing Saddles.  They're kinda like...I dunno, one note jokes?  I don't mind sending things up but you gotta be clever about it which I suspect The Sopranos might be so, y'know, I might give it a go.  I think there's a lot of these 'new' yank TV shows I might like but, I dunno, I'm very much a movies kid, eight seasons of some shit, thats a lot of time for me to invest in some shit for it to turn out dud.  There's some gangster shit here in England called Peaky Blinders that looks interesting too.  The Wire has Meth-Tical in it which is fuckin' reccomendation enough, I've watched some pure fuckin' bullshit just to see my man Meth' in a movie (like The Cobbler, what the fuck was that about it?  But its alright cuz its Meth' :lol:

But yeah, I'm a movies kinda kid, TV is like...meh, I dunno, doesn't do it for me really.  Though as per usual that shit is probably great and I'll arrive at the party 15 years late or whatever.

I wouldn't say The Sopranos is a spoof. I mean there is allot of humor, but its much of a drama than comedy. As far as the show not having it, i mean it won a bazillion awards and is highly regarded by everyone.

I can understand your point about TV shows though. Its hard to motivate myself to watch one from start to finish. However I have watched most of the big ones like The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Lost.

11 minutes ago, -W.A.R- said:

I wouldn't say The Sopranos is a spoof. I mean there is allot of humor, but its much of a drama than comedy. As far as the show not having it, i mean it won a bazillion awards and is highly regarded by everyone.

I can understand your point about TV shows though. Its hard to motivate myself to watch one from start to finish. However I have watched most of the big ones like The Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad, Lost.

Whats The Wire like?  I’m lead to believe its on some street shit.

I watched the first season of The Sopranos a couple of years ago because everyone is always going on about it being one of the best series ever, and thought it was alright, but not enough to watch the second season, I guess. I don't know... series like Breaking Bad and Homeland have set the bar so high, it kinda ruined a lot of other shows.

45 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Whats The Wire like?  I’m lead to believe its on some street shit.

I guess the main theme is about the drug game/war, but really its about Baltimore in general. It has focus on everything - Police, Drug Dealers, Junkies, The Docks, Kids/Schools, Politics, The Media, etc. Its a slow burn and ive heard many say they get bored with the first season. Those who do like the first season don't generally like the second one as it shifts some focus from the street stuff over to the docks.

Its really a fantastic show though and you tend to enjoy the 2nd season more on rewatch once you see how it all ties together with the series.

Edited by -W.A.R-