"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Scream 2 (1997)

The Exorcist (1973)

Belly 2: Billionaire Boyz Club (2006)

I've had few movies effect me as much as The Exorcist did.  It's not only one of the scariest movies ever it's also just a great one.  Have you seen Exorcist 2: The Heretic?  It's terrible and unintentionally hilarious.  Richard Burton did that one strictly for the paycheck.  But the Exorcist 3 is actually good, William Peter Blatty directed it.  George C. Scott, Jason Miller, and Brad Douriff are excellent in it.

13 hours ago, lame ass security said:

I've had few movies effect me as much as The Exorcist did.  It's not only one of the scariest movies ever it's also just a great one.  Have you seen Exorcist 2: The Heretic?  It's terrible and unintentionally hilarious.  Richard Burton did that one strictly for the paycheck.  But the Exorcist 3 is actually good, William Peter Blatty directed it.  George C. Scott, Jason Miller, and Brad Douriff are excellent in it.

I never saw the sequels, it seemed like a movie that was like..best left to stand on its own.  Which is curious cuz I'm usually quite completist with horror sequels.  I think its good sometimes though, especially when you're born outside of the times of a big movie like the Exorcist, to let it bed in for a while, I only really saw it when it got its cinema re-release here in England cuz it was banned or unavailable until relatively recently, cuz when you let em bed in you kinda like, watch it a few times and then you kinda really see what all the fuss is about, it builds the iconography and familiarity of it up in your mind to where you won't mind a shit sequel so much because you kinda just wanna see some of the characters again, like old friends.  Its why people can stomach so many Rocky sequels, there's like a fondness for that whole world that Stallone created.  I'll probably check the sequels out now you've bought them to my attention again. 

But yeah, the first is a belter isn't it?  It suffered a little from its own rep in the sense that it was re-released here around millenium time I think and cuz it was banned and carried all this rep' people kinda went into the cinemas like 'go on, scare me, i dare you' and there'd been like 30 odd years of evolution of the horror genre and films were more bloody and splattery so people went into this thing expecting, I dunno, the worst fuckin' scare-fest ever when really its a lot more subtle in what its doing than like...those famous set pieces of vulgarity, it ain't like that the whole way through, the substantial aspects of it are a lot more subtle, its ability to create this overall tone that just gets under your skin...but you kinda have to allow your suspension of disbelief and invest in the world of the movie a bit, allow it to draw you in instead of waiting for gore and being disappointed when it don't show.

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I never saw the sequels, it seemed like a movie that was like..best left to stand on its own.  Which is curious cuz I'm usually quite completist with horror sequels.  I think its good sometimes though, especially when you're born outside of the times of a big movie like the Exorcist, to let it bed in for a while, I only really saw it when it got its cinema re-release here in England cuz it was banned or unavailable until relatively recently, cuz when you let em bed in you kinda like, watch it a few times and then you kinda really see what all the fuss is about, it builds the iconography and familiarity of it up in your mind to where you won't mind a shit sequel so much because you kinda just wanna see some of the characters again, like old friends.  Its why people can stomach so many Rocky sequels, there's like a fondness for that whole world that Stallone created.  I'll probably check the sequels out now you've bought them to my attention again. 

But yeah, the first is a belter isn't it?  It suffered a little from its own rep in the sense that it was re-released here around millenium time I think and cuz it was banned and carried all this rep' people kinda went into the cinemas like 'go on, scare me, i dare you' and there'd been like 30 odd years of evolution of the horror genre and films were more bloody and splattery so people went into this thing expecting, I dunno, the worst fuckin' scare-fest ever when really its a lot more subtle in what its doing than like...those famous set pieces of vulgarity, it ain't like that the whole way through, the substantial aspects of it are a lot more subtle, its ability to create this overall tone that just gets under your skin...but you kinda have to allow your suspension of disbelief and invest in the world of the movie a bit, allow it to draw you in instead of waiting for gore and being disappointed when it don't show.

Great point about the tone of the movie, that along with the atmosphere creates an unsettling experience.  And it takes its time in doing it, which I think was great.  In fact, the true possession scenes don't begin until about 90 minutes into the film.  But I think the aspect that often gets overlooked are the performances.  They're all pretty much perfect.  To the point that it's hard to imagine anyone else in those roles.  The one character that I always thought was awesome is Burke, the drunken director. Some of his lines are classic.  Like "there's an alien pubic hair in my drink". And he had an obvious disdain for the German butler.😄  Jack Mcgowran was great, he died before the movie was even released. Anyway, there are so many things about this movie, it's really fascinating to delve into.  But be warned if you do watch that sequel, it really is bad. I like watching it for the comedic value and the fact that Richard Burton is in it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, lame ass security said:

The Exorcist came out in the early 70's. My mom refused to see it. lol

When they re-released it with added footage then we all went to see it. Yeah, it is one scary movie and the music added to it. I agree to this day it is one of the all time scary movies ever made. I did see the second one with Linda Blair, not so scary. The 3rd movie freaked me out when that thing came up behind people with that long knife like weapon. I kept looking behind me for days after that! It was very freaky.

8 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The Exorcist came out in the early 70's. My mom refused to see it. lol

When they re-released it with added footage then we all went to see it. Yeah, it is one scary movie and the music added to it. I agree to this day it is one of the all time scary movies ever made. I did see the second one with Linda Blair, not so scary. The 3rd movie freaked me out when that thing came up behind people with that long knife like weapon. I kept looking behind me for days after that! It was very freaky.

Yeah, the third one was good but it could've been much better if it wasn't for a lot of post production tinkering.   They pretty much changed the entire ending because the studio brass felt the movie needed a true exorcism.  It comes off feeling forced and just out of place. But it does have the great George C. Scott "I believe in the filth" scene, so it wasn't completely wrong.

They wanted a real exorcism? Oh yeah, that would have been crazy. We would have had to get The Warrens to help out then!

The first one was the best. Still holds up to this day. Still freaking scary and makes you think a lot. My mom grew up Catholic, but honestly, she said the church never talked about this subject, but she still felt scared about the whole being possessed by the devil thing.

22 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

They wanted a real exorcism? Oh yeah, that would have been crazy. We would have had to get The Warrens to help out then!

The first one was the best. Still holds up to this day. Still freaking scary and makes you think a lot. My mom grew up Catholic, but honestly, she said the church never talked about this subject, but she still felt scared about the whole being possessed by the devil thing.

No, I guess I shouldn't have used the word "true", my bad.  The studio felt that they needed a portion of the movie that featured an exorcism. That's the end of the movie where George C. Scott's character confronts the demon.

Edited by lame ass security

2 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Hotel Artimes on cable with Dave Batista and a lot of other well know actors. it was weird, but good entertainment.

Was this good? it looked cool in the previews. I would like to see it when it comes on cable. I love Bill Murray.

Its really good, if you like Jim Jarmusch movies you’ll like it, though if I was to criticise it I might say the Jarmusch world is kinda...I dunno, getting a bit samey.  Sort of.  It ain’t your average zombie movie, very hip, very artsy, at least for mainstream cinema standards.

Tattoo (2002)

German film in the ''sicko murderer'' genre, a la Silence of the Lambs, Seven, etc. Very good, albeit I could predict the plot twisting a little too easily. If you like those aforementioned American films, as well as Kiss the Girls and Bone Collector, I'd certainly recommend this. 

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Don't know why I watched this really, having watched it when it first came out and finding it thoroughly awful. Probably not quite as bad as I remember - Sigourney Weaver's ''new'' Ripley is its saving grace - but the film gets lost in a plethora of hybrid monster workshop silliness. Thank god they didn't make a fifth one, set on Earth. 

On 7/20/2019 at 8:01 PM, Len Cnut said:

Its really good, if you like Jim Jarmusch movies you’ll like it, though if I was to criticise it I might say the Jarmusch world is kinda...I dunno, getting a bit samey.  Sort of.  It ain’t your average zombie movie, very hip, very artsy, at least for mainstream cinema standards.

He has worked a lot with Neil Young.