"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Tattoo (2002)

German film in the ''sicko murderer'' genre, a la Silence of the Lambs, Seven, etc. Very good, albeit I could predict the plot twisting a little too easily. If you like those aforementioned American films, as well as Kiss the Girls and Bone Collector, I'd certainly recommend this. 

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Don't know why I watched this really, having watched it when it first came out and finding it thoroughly awful. Probably not quite as bad as I remember - Sigourney Weaver's ''new'' Ripley is its saving grace - but the film gets lost in a plethora of hybrid monster workshop silliness. Thank god they didn't make a fifth one, set on Earth. 

I felt so bad for the Alien at the end. The one with Ripley's DNA. I think I've only watched this movie once.

I saw another movie called "Tattoo" with Jason Behr. It was good. About some evil spirit who inhabited the tattoo needle.

I do like Kiss the Girls (book was way better) and The bone Collector.

23 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Re Animator(1985)  This movie never fails to crack me up.  Jeffrey Combs is awesome in it along with the special effects. 

This movie was nuts!

On 7/20/2019 at 2:01 PM, Len Cnut said:

Its really good, if you like Jim Jarmusch movies you’ll like it, though if I was to criticise it I might say the Jarmusch world is kinda...I dunno, getting a bit samey.  Sort of.  It ain’t your average zombie movie, very hip, very artsy, at least for mainstream cinema standards.

Well, it looked cool and funny. I will watch it when it comes on a cable channel.

I like when directors do different takes on zombie movies. Adding humor makes them so much better.

1 hour ago, lame ass security said:

Love the title, have to check the cliff notes on it.

Edit: I see Iggy is involved so it will at least be thought provoking. 

Its just under 90 mins of tons of different filmmakers from tonsa different countries who were told to film nothing...like, nature and...yknow, etc.  Over this Iggy narrates a sort of poetry/commentary, the story is nothing, Iggy speaks in the character of nothing, who is sick of being unappreciated so he runs away from home, the narration/poetry is about what he does/sees.  I loved it.

on topic:

Saw (2004)

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 1

Black Swan (2010)

It is very baroque and excessive and doesn't hang well together, but rather draws you in through its decadence and Natalie Portman's performance. 

PS

It is rather a cross between Repulsion and All About Eve.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

MV5BZDRkOTlhOTctYzE2Yi00MDRmLTljMTktMzQ5

Eat The Schoolgirl - 1997 (erotic horror)

Plot: Two young adults who made a dirty work for a yakuza gang by making sadistic rape/snuff films. Both of them are sexually obsessed; one is addicted to telephone sex whilst the other can only function sexually, whilst seeing mutilated female corpses.

This is very bizarre. The execution of the story came come off as very non-linear and surreal. The little bit of humor in it is dark but almost like old slapstick.  It almost like a Japanese "pink film" but just more bat shit. One of the main characters kills women, while dressed up as one, and shoots his loads onto them after they die. Yeah, that's a sentence that I just wrote. Still enjoyable and not a long movie (clock in at just over an hour). I'll give it a solid 6 out of 10.

Edited by Jabberwocky

22 minutes ago, Jabberwocky said:

MV5BZDRkOTlhOTctYzE2Yi00MDRmLTljMTktMzQ5

Eat The Schoolgirl - 1997 (erotic horror)

Plot: Two young adults who made a dirty work for a yakuza gang by making sadistic rape/snuff films. Both of them are sexually obsessed; one is addicted to telephone sex whilst the other can only function sexually, whilst seeing mutilated female corpses.

This is very bizarre. The execution of the story came come off as very non-linear and surreal. The little bit of humor in it is dark but almost like old slapstick.  It almost like a Japanese "pink film" but just more bat shit. One of the main characters kills women, while dressed up as one, and shoots his loads onto them after they die. Yeah, that's a sentence that I just wrote. Still enjoyable and not a long movie (clock in at just over an hour). I'll give it a solid 6 out of 10.

I assume this isn't a Disney production. 😄

Edited by lame ass security
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sosso said:

Freeway 

Seven

The Fast and The Furious 

2 Fast 2 Furious 

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

The Fate of the Furious was very good. It brought back Jason Statham, which I feel he stole the movie from Vin. lol

Seven was awesome. The ending was shocking! I loved how they never mentioned the killer's real name, so it was a shock to see who it was!

23 hours ago, Jabberwocky said:

I watched T2-Trainspotting just once. Watched the original too many times to count.

T2 Trainspotting was the first film in many years that I watched a fair few times.  That film was a big part of my childhood, which is a weird thing to say about a film but its like...I dunno, its a hard thing to explain.  Then to see those characters again, in a credible and well thought out sequel, it was weird. 

• GNFNR 1

11 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

T2 Trainspotting was the first film in many years that I watched a fair few times.  That film was a big part of my childhood, which is a weird thing to say about a film but its like...I dunno, its a hard thing to explain.  Then to see those characters again, in a credible and well thought out sequel, it was weird. 

I was in my early 20's when the first one came out and it had that rewatch factor to it. I like all kinds of comedy but the dark and satirical kinds holds such a place for me that yeah is hard to explain. The main reason why I've only watched T2 once is because I have such a huge pile of stuff I haven't watched yet. I know I've got movies I got off of torrent sites from a year or two ago I haven't watched or probably forgot I even had. Plus I'm more active watching stuff off of YouTube. Thus all of the music docs I've posted here.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2019 at 4:49 PM, Len Cnut said:

With the chief difference being that T2 was actually entertaining :lol: 

Yes, true. Reformed Guns were good and it was a nice night, but mostly in a warm nostalgic way for me.

Like watching the original movie again with a poorer sound, rather than a new one -  with a new album of songs etc! 

Good for newer fans to see them for first time though, and for me to see a new generation enjoying it; as it was for me recently seeing Skynyrd, Sabbath and Tatts for first time. 

Did you think the T2 heroin scene was a bit too nicely exciting; without the negatives of the first film?

4 hours ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Yes, true. Reformed Guns were good and it was a nice night, but mostly in a warm nostalgic way for me.

Like watching the original movie again with a poorer sound, rather than a new one -  with a new album of songs etc! 

Good for newer fans to see them for first time though, and for me to see a new generation enjoying it; as it was for me recently seeing Skynyrd, Sabbath and Tatts for first time. 

Did you think the T2 heroin scene was a bit too nicely exciting; without the negatives of the first film?

I dunno, it depends.  The Renton and Sickboy one was...not exciting exactly, though not exactly negative either.  It was very quick though, over as soon as it began.  The only other time heroin is dealt with is through Spud and thats awful, you see how its destroyed his life irrepairably...and he's sort of a slave to it, like when he goes up to that dodgy estate gettin' served by those two young lads, hiding the browns in his gums, nah man, it was pretty dirty and unappealling, a lot more so that Trainspotting 1 which, in certain points (if you're a fuckin' retard :lol:) made it look a bit cool.  If you think about it Spuds whole suicide is all because of heroin, early doors he's puking into a bag he's suffocating in, literally and figuratively because of heroin.  And then like the effects on his family, with Spud, its not really even a happy ending there, they're permanently scarred by it. 

I think you find what you're looking for in films perhaps, its the subjectivity bit, what you bring to the film.  Trainspotting 1 has a very redemptive ending, after all the browns and scumbaggery he basically comes out of it clean, that could be seen as a message of 'its alright lads, a bit of browns don't hurt ya, you can always walk off into the sunset'.  Even the use of Iggys Lust for Life (often considered a song about heroin though its a lot more broader than that, described as Iggy as being about how 'people who great enthusiasms in life are prone to getting fucked up :lol:), as heroin songs goes, in the heroin song solar system, its actually a really upbeat song, I remember reading a book by Nina Antonia where she said if they'd've used Chinese Rocks by Johnny Thunders they could've never pulled off the ride off into the sunset ending and it would've changed the tone completely. 

• Thanks 1

T2 Trainspotting (2017)

I like it, although the story is a bit inconsequential and really just a valve to explore the characters. It is a lighter piece than the original, more overtly a comedy. My favourite scene was the Unionist pub theft, ''1690'' - ingenious (I bet a lot of Scottish unionists changed their pin after this film's release). 

Francis Begbie. The archetypal Scot haha. 

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno, it depends.  The Renton and Sickboy one was...not exciting exactly, though not exactly negative either.  It was very quick though, over as soon as it began.  The only other time heroin is dealt with is through Spud and thats awful, you see how its destroyed his life irrepairably...and he's sort of a slave to it, like when he goes up to that dodgy estate gettin' served by those two young lads, hiding the browns in his gums, nah man, it was pretty dirty and unappealling, a lot more so that Trainspotting 1 which, in certain points (if you're a fuckin' retard :lol:) made it look a bit cool.  If you think about it Spuds whole suicide is all because of heroin, early doors he's puking into a bag he's suffocating in, literally and figuratively because of heroin.  And then like the effects on his family, with Spud, its not really even a happy ending there, they're permanently scarred by it. 

I think you find what you're looking for in films perhaps, its the subjectivity bit, what you bring to the film.  Trainspotting 1 has a very redemptive ending, after all the browns and scumbaggery he basically comes out of it clean, that could be seen as a message of 'its alright lads, a bit of browns don't hurt ya, you can always walk off into the sunset'.  Even the use of Iggys Lust for Life (often considered a song about heroin though its a lot more broader than that, described as Iggy as being about how 'people who great enthusiasms in life are prone to getting fucked up :lol:), as heroin songs goes, in the heroin song solar system, its actually a really upbeat song, I remember reading a book by Nina Antonia where she said if they'd've used Chinese Rocks by Johnny Thunders they could've never pulled off the ride off into the sunset ending and it would've changed the tone completely. 

Yes, thanks for your broader and more detailed perspective.

At the time I wrote it I was just thinking about the scene, and at the time of watching I did think of it as much more exciting than I imagined, or have heard about - maybe it's because I like llamas and vivid colours! I've always imagined heroin as just monging out in a grey void!!

In the first film the 'thought scene' I remembered was Renton's cold turkey baby on ceiling and crawling into the toilet. 

Yes, hadn't really thought about Spud, but from the first film he's always seemed like someone who was going to 'fail' anyway; although there's hope for him from his writing in the end - most hope of the four!

Nina Antonia looks a good read; hadn't heard of her before. 

Watched most of the Nico (Velvet Underground) film on Film4 recently, and that was a pretty depressing account of heroin.

Having thought more about seeing Guns again, I think it was like watching a Director's Cut of the original, with some extra features, but keeping to the original picture and sound, which has faded a little over time. 

I thought T2 did a good job of the soundtrack, mixing some new songs, with the old, some updated.