"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006wg1/the-bleeder

Pretty good film about Chuck Wepner, chosen to fight Ali in '75, as he was the highest ranked white guy, and Don King wanted to make it a race thing.

Supposed to be the whipping boy, Wepner fought well, inspiring the Rocky movies.

I remember all the 'great white hope' stuff around then, but don't remember that fight; one reason why I'm cynical about BBC etc treating every black athlete as a 'great black hope'! This was on the BBC ironically. 

Success goes to Wepner's head, like our GnR!, with disastrous results.

Wepner's wives look good, with first trying to keep their relationship (with daughter) together, and the second waiting for their divorce before becoming involved, despite Wepner trying before. 

21 minutes ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0006wg1/the-bleeder

Pretty good film about Chuck Wepner, chosen to fight Ali in '75, as he was the highest ranked white guy, and Don King wanted to make it a race thing.

Supposed to be the whipping boy, Wepner fought well, inspiring the Rocky movies.

I remember all the 'great white hope' stuff around then, but don't remember that fight; one reason why I'm cynical about BBC etc treating every black athlete as a 'great black hope'! This was on the BBC ironically. 

Success goes to Wepner's head, like our GnR!, with disastrous results.

Wepner's wives look good, with first trying to keep their relationship (with daughter) together, and the second waiting for their divorce before becoming involved, despite Wepner trying before. 

I saw one recently about Wepner, with whatshiface in it, I dunno, its called Chuck though I think.  Lets be honest though, Wepner hardly fought well :lol:  He got a suss knockdown on Ali, more of a trip than anything and proceeded to get his brains knocked out for 15 rounds, after which he got knocked out.  There's two Chuck Wepner movies out in recent years, this seems to be a third.  Ones called Chuck and the other is called The Brawler.  He was rabbit punching Ali so bad early doors that Ali, to make a point, held his head down started smacking the back of it in exaggerated motions :lol:

There's a funny story about Wepner, the night before the fight he bought his wife this expensive blue dress, telling her 'tommorow night you're gonna take this off before you sleep with the heavyweight champion of the world' so she turns up to his dressing room after the fights over and goes 'so, shall I go to Ali's dressing room or hotel?' :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I saw one recently about Wepner, with whatshiface in it, I dunno, its called Chuck though I think.  Lets be honest though, Wepner hardly fought well :lol:  He got a suss knockdown on Ali, more of a trip than anything and proceeded to get his brains knocked out for 15 rounds, after which he got knocked out.  There's two Chuck Wepner movies out in recent years, this seems to be a third.  Ones called Chuck and the other is called The Brawler.  He was rabbit punching Ali so bad early doors that Ali, to make a point, held his head down started smacking the back of it in exaggerated motions :lol:

There's a funny story about Wepner, the night before the fight he bought his wife this expensive blue dress, telling her 'tommorow night you're gonna take this off before you sleep with the heavyweight champion of the world' so she turns up to his dressing room after the fights over and goes 'so, shall I go to Ali's dressing room or hotel?' :lol: 

Wepner was Tex Cobb before Tex Cobb. 😄

23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Cheers, yeh, I saw the other movies yesterday when posting The Bleeder. 

I remembered the Quarry brothers, especially Jerry, rather than Chuck. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Quarry

On 7/23/2019 at 4:06 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Alien Resurrection (1997)

Don't know why I watched this really, having watched it when it first came out and finding it thoroughly awful. Probably not quite as bad as I remember - Sigourney Weaver's ''new'' Ripley is its saving grace - but the film gets lost in a plethora of hybrid monster workshop silliness. Thank god they didn't make a fifth one, set on Earth. 

I love Weaver’s performance and how stacked it is with classic 90s character actors...I actually remember liking it quite a bit until the spastic alien baby reveal and then...yeah no

Edited by Angelica

1 hour ago, Axl's Agony Aunt said:

Cheers, yeh, I saw the other movies yesterday when posting The Bleeder. 

I remembered the Quarry brothers, especially Jerry, rather than Chuck. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Quarry

Jerry was a fuckin’ proper hardnut, I got a lot of respect for Jerry, fought with his heart...shame he ended up the way he did, heartbreaking really. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Angelica said:

I love Weaver’s performance and how stacked it is with classic 90s character actors...I actually remember liking it quite a bit until the spastic alien baby reveal and then...yeah no

It does have a lot of actors that you know but cannot remember their names - ''that is so-and-so from, what do you call it?'' - such as him from The Crow with the grissly voice and Hell Boy.

• Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 12:42 PM, Len Cnut said:

Jerry was a fuckin’ proper hardnut, I got a lot of respect for Jerry, fought with his heart...shame he ended up the way he did, heartbreaking really. 

Yes, typical boxer story from that era! Would make another sad movie!!

I hadn't even read it until now, and didn't know anything about him apart from my memory from that time. 

Halloween (2018)

Well it is much better than I thought it would be; it is vastly superior to all the excrement that is all the other sequels. There are a number of aspects I could have done without (the nutty Einstein character) but it seems to effectively channel the original film which no prior sequel managed, especially the stuff with him walking around the suburbs with the music.

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Halloween (2018)

Well it is much better than I thought it would be; it is vastly superior to all the excrement that is all the other sequels. There are a number of aspects I could have done without (the nutty Einstein character) but it seems to effectively channel the original film which no prior sequel managed, especially the stuff with him walking around the suburbs with the music.

Is that the one where Jamie Lee Curtis is the grandma?  Told you it was alright.

Share  Never heard of this movie. Watched it on cable. It's about a girl who has something done to her due to a night of drinking and drugging and how a photo is passed around the net. So true to life. Kind of slow, but it actually made this movie seem real life rather than a movie with actors.

22 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Don't misunderstand, I still think it should have ended with the original Halloween.

Yeah, and the next two will be with her and her daughter and granddaughter. I just liked how this movie continued 40 years after the original Halloween. Like what if Michael was put way 40 years ago and still hasn't changed one bit.

On 7/30/2019 at 2:36 PM, lame ass security said:

Sam f'in Wheat😄

Love this movie, but I cried so damn much.

Get Out (2017)

I tried to avoid this because of its affiliation with Oscars, as I tend to despise Oscar films, but this is a very clever satirical horror à la The Stepford Wives (1975); what that earlier film did for patriarchal suburban domesticity, this does for modern American race relations pertaining to Afro-Americans.

Us (2019)

I liked it just as much as Get Out - I really like this Jordan Peele fella. Much like Get Out, this is horror as allegory, this time using the device of Doppelgänger to highlight class division: the haves (materialistic, decadent, stupefied) and have nots (voiceless and subterranean, hidden away and abandoned). This is horror with a conscious. I think it is especially important that it is a black American family as it creates a sense that a black American middle class has abandoned their brethren - this implication is definitely present, although not forcibly made. And like Get Out horror mixes with (black American) humour. This is a director who is willing to blend genre. 

On 7/29/2019 at 12:16 AM, Len Cnut said:

Ghost (1990)

What a woofta. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

I watched the second Fantastic Beasts The Crimes of Grimindale or something like that?

Has anyone seen this movie? it was very confusing to me. I have a friend who has seen this movie 4 times and still can't figure it out? She's a Huge fan of Harry Potter and these books and movies.

Anyway, loved the new beasts that were in it and Redman is always fun to watch in movies. He always rocks his parts. Good to see some characters back for the second one.

I hope there will be a third movie to help explain this one. lol

The actor who played The Flash in Justice League was in it too.

On 8/2/2019 at 12:42 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Get Out (2017)

I tried to avoid this because of its affiliation with Oscars, as I tend to despise Oscar films, but this is a very clever satirical horror à la The Stepford Wives (1975); what that earlier film did for patriarchal suburban domesticity, this does for modern American race relations pertaining to Afro-Americans.

Us (2019)

I liked it just as much as Get Out - I really like this Jordan Peele fella. Much like Get Out, this is horror as allegory, this time using the device of Doppelgänger to highlight class division: the haves (materialistic, decadent, stupefied) and have nots (voiceless and subterranean, hidden away and abandoned). This is horror with a conscious. I think it is especially important that it is a black American family as it creates a sense that a black American middle class has abandoned their brethren - this implication is definitely present, although not forcibly made. And like Get Out horror mixes with (black American) humour. This is a director who is willing to blend genre. 

What a woofta. 

Loved Get Out, but I figured out the movie in the first ten minutes. Guess I've seen to many horror movies, I always know what the plot is and what it's all about.

I do like the original ending rather than the alternate one.