"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

On 11/7/2019 at 7:05 AM, Len Cnut said:

booked tickets to see The Irishman at the Prince Charles in Leicester Square thinking I was booking for 12pm Sunday, turns out its 12pm tommorow, when I'm at work.  They don't do refunds or exchanges, CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT CUNT!

I've been reading reviews and it seems the biggest recurring criticism is the length.  A lot of people said it's so long it's best viewed in a streaming format.  Most people also said that Pesci is fantastic.

38 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I've been reading reviews and it seems the biggest recurring criticism is the length.  A lot of people said it's so long it's best viewed in a streaming format.  Most people also said that Pesci is fantastic.

I managed to get my ticket sorted for 7:30pm tommorow so it looks like I will be seeing it after all :)  Only reason I’m going to the Prince Charles is cuz your Vues and Cineworlds aint playing it cuz of the whole netflix thing.  Dumb move, I say.

On 11/1/2019 at 3:00 AM, F*ck Fear said:

Last night was Halloween so I watched Rob Zombie's '3 From Hell'.

Now, I was very curious when this film was announced as I felt the ending of 'The Devil's Rejects' was fucking perfect. How could he possibly make another film in this franchise?

It was decent, and I'll see it again, but I do feel it's missing something (Not just Sid Haig).

It's not Rob's worst film, though. I give that title to '31'.

The Lords of Salem was Zombie's worst film ever. also Halloween 2 sucked. Michael just walker around the fields for most of the movie.

19 hours ago, lame ass security said:

So good to see Joe Pesci back in a movie. It's been too long for him. He's a great actor.

7 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The Lords of Salem was Zombie's worst film ever. also Halloween 2 sucked. Michael just walker around the fields for most of the movie.

So good to see Joe Pesci back in a movie. It's been too long for him. He's a great actor.

I loved Halloween 2 :shrugs:

It was nice to see an original take, rather just remaking the second film in the original franchise.

The Irishman was pretty good, I really enjoyed it.  The performances by De Niro and Pacino were indeed stand out...but not really, or not entirely due to some massive return to form, the characters of Frank Sheeran and Jim Hoffa really fit their particular artistic malaise.  De Niro, who has looked like he's dialling it in for years, finds a character here that kinda requires that feel, in the way Louis Garr kinda did in Jackie Brown, a kinda there but not there kinda feel, not in a dopey way like Louis but more like just a kinda person whoose emotions aren't at the forefront always.  The few parts where he is in heightened stress levels are beautifully illustrated by a sort of stuttering tone he takes on.  And Pacino, well, he's playing a sort of loudmouth union boss, perfect for the hoo ha.  Pesci was just Pesci to me, which isn't a bad thing cuz the role required Pesci.  A very calm Pesci...and thats what it got. 

Thinking either The Good Liar, Midway or Joker this week.  Midway is the front runner. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

The Irishman was pretty good, I really enjoyed it.  The performances by De Niro and Pacino were indeed stand out...but not really, or not entirely due to some massive return to form, the characters of Frank Sheeran and Jim Hoffa really fit their particular artistic malaise.  De Niro, who has looked like he's dialling it in for years, finds a character here that kinda requires that feel, in the way Louis Garr kinda did in Jackie Brown, a kinda there but not there kinda feel, not in a dopey way like Louis but more like just a kinda person whoose emotions aren't at the forefront always.  The few parts where he is in heightened stress levels are beautifully illustrated by a sort of stuttering tone he takes on.  And Pacino, well, he's playing a sort of loudmouth union boss, perfect for the hoo ha.  Pesci was just Pesci to me, which isn't a bad thing cuz the role required Pesci.  A very calm Pesci...and thats what it got. 

Thinking either The Good Liar, Midway or Joker this week.  Midway is the front runner. 

Do Joker. It’s legitimately great until it can’t figure out how to end. Although that fact makes it insanely frustrating.

The Man Who Laughs (1928)

Although technically American it is thoroughly (German) Expressionistic (Paul Leni directing, Conrad Veidt male lead) and a masterwork of silent film, a remarkable film that, Veidt's Gwynplaine, influenced the creation of Batman's nemesis The Joker (and various cinematic portrayals). It is really a sort of swashbuckling melodrama but rendered in so much German Expressionism that it is more akin to a Gothic horror (it is based on a Hugo story, who was a proto-horror writer). Veidt conveys sadness in the eyes whilst possessing the permanent laugh,

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSi4E90yFSzJMpcRX6hYOh 

Mary Philbin plays the love interest, who basically jacked it all in when the talkies arrived (c. 1929) and lived as a thorough recluse until her death in 1993! Perhaps the first ''scream queen''. 5/5.

Glass (2019)

Doesn't hang together too well I'm afraid. There is a tremendous lack of logic running through the film, coincidental encounters, un-rational characterisation, ''Shyamalan twisting''. Bruce Willis spends the whole film looking bored and haggered. Jackson spends most of the film stoned in a chair. McAvoy does his split-personality thing which impressed so much in Split but even that grew tiresome. There is probably a good film somewhere in there but the whole thing seems too messy and convoluted, as if it need a re-write (or two). 2/5 (for the record I'd give Split 3/5 and Unbreakable 5/5).

Edited by DieselDaisy
Added Glass

Unknown (2011)

Standard ''Liam Neeson in slightly dodgy European capital à la Taken'' thriller, Berlin this time, which begins with an intriguing Hitchcockean premise but then descends into a mess of confusing plotting and unconvincing character changes, intersected with action-chase sequences. Watchable fare: 2/5. 

Aus dem Nichts, aka, In the Fade (2017)

Remarkable acting tour de force by Diane Kruger. 5/5.

Edited by DieselDaisy

On 11/14/2019 at 6:47 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Unknown (2011)

Standard ''Liam Neeson in slightly dodgy European capital à la Taken'' thriller, Berlin this time, which begins with an intriguing Hitchcockean premise but then descends into a mess of confusing plotting and unconvincing character changes, intersected with action-chase sequences. Watchable fare: 2/5.

Also known as Taken: Give Me Back My Memory

Victoria (2015)

This is an absolute masterpiece. If you want to see an original variant on the ''heist'' crime-thriller, watch this film. Utter masterwork. 

Die Welle (2008)

A high-school social experiment in fascism which raises some thought-provoking questions on dictatorships and contains some convincing performances, but doesn't always hang together too well - tad ''teeny'' also (reminds me a bit of Battle Royale). Worth a look however.

Edited by DieselDaisy