"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is by far the best being darker in tone. The other two are more for kiddies like yourself.

I'd rank Ep III and Rogue One above it as well. But yes, Im a sucker for some "yub nub." I get the dark tone thing to some extent (though Im not a fan of it) but Luke in a handstand with Yoda balanced on one foot is comical. As is Landos first officer and many of the special effects.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, soon said:

I'd rank Ep III and Rogue One above it as well. But yes, Im a sucker for some "yub nub." I get the dark tone thing to some extent (though Im not a fan of it) but Luke in a handstand with Yoda balanced on one foot is comical. As is Landos first officer and many of the special effects.

Those films are utter excrement as is the entirety of the Star Wars franchise outside the original trilogy and the mandalorian.

2 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Those films are utter excrement as is the entirety of the Star Wars franchise outside the original trilogy and the mandalorian.

ESB also doesn't have slave Leia, although she absolutely shines here. My theory is that back in the day with all the toys, fans inserted a lot of their own imagination into the story lines and characters. And that energy and discussion was enough to cary the franchise over a lack lustre part 2.

Clone Wars (animated movie and series) is excrement? Nah, you must not have seen em?

10 minutes ago, soon said:

ESB also doesn't have slave Leia, although she absolutely shines here. My theory is that back in the day with all the toys, fans inserted a lot of their own imagination into the story lines and characters. And that energy and discussion was enough to cary the franchise over a lack lustre part 2.

Clone Wars (animated movie and series) is excrement? Nah, you must not have seen em?

Clearly I am correct about Empire being the superior film,

(Rotten Tomatoes)

Empire 95%

Star Wars 93%

Rogue One 83% - drunk people must have scored it that high

Jedi 81%

Revenge of the CGI 80% - again, drunk people. 

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Clearly I am correct about Empire being the superior film,

(Rotten Tomatoes)

Empire 95%

Star Wars 93%

Rogue One 83% - drunk people must have scored it that high

Jedi 81%

Revenge of the CGI 80% - again, drunk people. 

Clearly people like Revenge and Rogue enough that soon we shall see a Ewen MacGreror Obi Wan show and a Casian show. Meanwhile, IX is a wrap on that saga. 

If you like Mandalorian, consider that Clone Wars animated movie is the archetype for Baby Yoda. It introduced the most engaging jedi/force user in present cannon, Ashoka Tano, who goes on a mission to rescue baby hut "Stinky" and then fight with him strapped to her on her way home. Same cute factor, same blocking on the cockpit shots, same white dome he arrives in, same everything. Also same producer and sometimes director, Dave Filloni.

Clone Wars is also coming back! Karma for all those rotten tomato critics backing the least-Lucas-involved OT film! Shameful treachery.

38 minutes ago, soon said:

36 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I really enjoyed Rogue One. Ep III is an utter abortion along with the rest of the prequel trilogy. I say that having not managed to sit through it to this day however. Each time I've tried to watch III I've not made it past the half way mark without having to turn it off. I've skipped through the rest on the computer and nothing I've seen makes me want to watch it fully.

2 minutes ago, Dazey said:

I really enjoyed Rogue One. Ep III is an utter abortion along with the rest of the prequel trilogy. I say that having not managed to sit through it to this day however. Each time I've tried to watch III I've not made it past the half way mark without having to turn it off. I've skipped through the rest on the computer and nothing I've seen makes me want to watch it fully.

When I was watching Empire I was grateful to be informed by Ep III. It gives so much more depth and meaning to Vaders motivations and pain. I dont wanna give spoilers but the second half is worth it for that imho. Also seems that ep IV will lean into Revenge mythology to some degree, with Palps return?

Spoiler of Revenge, captioned for what its worth,

Spoiler

The Obi Wan vs Anakin dual is epic too! And its quite moving as Obi Wan must strike down his friend, padawan, brother in arms, and 'the chosen one.' Obi wan is confronted with the need to destroy the only hope...

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

Surprised you made it past General Grievous? 

On 07/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, Angelica said:

Stuff I’ve seen recently that I really loved -

Ready or Not (aka the most fun movie of the year)

Marriage Story (aka not the most fun movie of the year, but really really wonderful)

A Rainy Day in New York (nowhere near top shelf Woody but delightful)

The Sisters Brothers (a gem)

Watched Ready or Not on your recommendation and loved it so cheers. :thumbsup: 

Have downloaded Sisters Brothers to have a look at too.

Also went to see Knives Out at the cinema today. Recommenced. Really enjoyed it.

• Like 1

Gegen die Wand (2004)

German-Turkic drama.

Further on this, it was the breakthrough film by Turkish-German director Fatih Akin, the director of Aus dem Nichts which I reviewed earlier. He explores acculturation, multi-multiculturalism, racism and themes such as that.

Der Letzte Zug (2006)

Standard Holocaust film. Nothing original but rather well done. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Motherless Brooklyn (2019) It was OK, pretty good, pretty entertaining.  Kinda like Bogart meets Rainman without the sentimental nonsense.  It was good, film noir-ish feel, it owes a lot to the old time gumshoe movies.  Watched Blue Story last week too, the London knife crime thing thats getting banned in certain towns cuz of some stabbings at the cinema.  Was hoping it would be a little less heavy handed moralistic hood movie and more social realism.  Was alright though, passable.  The rapping twat narrating was...different.  Don't think it added a lot to the piece though.

Edited by Len Cnut

On 12/9/2019 at 5:18 AM, soon said:

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Never been my fave, still aint. Theres so many effects that have aged poorly - some looking like they are from the 1950s. Luke is quite the Mary Sue. Lando's security guy is hilarious. 

Actually this is favorite Star Wars episode. Still love the original three the best.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:45 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Finally watched Terminator Dark Fate.

Much better than Genysis.

Pre ordered the dvd. I loved Ready or Not. Saw it in the movie theatre. I thought it was funny and gory and the storyline was different for a change.

Auf der anderen Seite (2007)

Triumph des Willens (1935) and Der Sieg des Glaubens (1933)

It is often forgotten that Triumph of the Will wasn't Riefenstahl's first Nuremberg Rally film. She proceeded it with the aforementioned The Victory of Faith. Both similar films - even the slow motion shots of the city waking up (and the cat) are in the earlier film. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

21 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, I loved Han and Princess Leia' love storyl lol

Well, that is the best part, along with the snow planet base. Leia/Fisher carried that film imho.

The Yoda in Empire Strikes Back is so different from other Yoda appearances in the original films and beyond. Its a curious thing. I guess maybe he went a little loopy while hiding out all those years? lol

Anthropoid (2016)

Superb Anglo-Czech film about the assassination of Heydrich and subsequent aftermath. Really historically accurate - filmed all in Prague, and where possible at the actual locations. More poignant for me watching this as I have recently visited the final location, the Church of Cyril and Methodius where the patriots hid and were finally cornered by the Gestapo and SS. I wish I'd seen this film prior as I didn't realise how many Germans were taken out by these brave men. It explained to me various bits of the place I visited, bullet holes around this specific window, etc etc.  

5/5 

Edited by DieselDaisy