"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Wagon Master (1950)

It is a perfect film by Ford, a hidden gem. He just made it for a low budget with his stock actors.

The Big Trail (1930)

It is a stunning film to look at, but crikey Wayne is wooden in it.

Apparently he was nervous as fuck for it.  I find it quite charming in its way.  I see you’re on a bit of a John Ford bender, good man ;) 

On 2/01/2020 at 11:10 PM, F*ck Fear said:

The Irishman

Loved it! Took a minute to adjust to old dudes trying to look young, but everythig else was top notch.

Masterpiece, cinema magic at its best. 

On another note, just saw The Gentleman today, the most Guy Ritchie, Guy Ritchie film lol, so good. 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2020 at 11:46 PM, marlingrl03 said:

I just watched that on the plane a few months ago....it never gets old! Love that movie. 

I know it's one of those movies you can watch over and over again and still love it!

On 1/4/2020 at 6:49 PM, jimisbatman said:

I have this on my list for some time in the next few weeks

One awesome movie. Leo is one amazing actor. It was a crazy funny movie.

On 1/4/2020 at 5:29 PM, F*ck Fear said:

Death Proof

Another of Tarantino's lesser quality films, I still thought it was decent.

I loved this movie. it started out slow but then went into high gear. Poor Kurt got his ass kicked! lol

On 1/4/2020 at 5:04 PM, gertwim said:

Fury with Brad Pitt

I liked this movie too. 

• Like 1

The Lighthouse - fucked up shit and horror is usually very boring for me but Willem Dafoe's performance as a drunken retired sailor is worth the price of admission.

Uncut Gems - watched the second half of it. Very good. Too bad Sandler mostly doesn't seem to care. He's actually not a terrible actor when he goes for it and the role is right for him. I like this one and Punch - Drunk Love which was better imo.

On 04/01/2020 at 11:29 PM, F*ck Fear said:

Death Proof

Another of Tarantino's lesser quality films, I still thought it was decent.

If there was one part I could get rid of in that film its the bit where they start prattling on about Vanishing Point.  It kinda takes me out of the movie again, I can hear too much Tarantino in it.  Other than that I thought it was great.  It feels as if, in Tarantinos head, he's still working in a video store and tryna turn people on to obscure movies.

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Like 2

Just now, Len Cnut said:

If there was one part I could get rid of in that film its the bit where they start prattling on about Vanishing Point.  It kinda takes me out of the movie again, I can hear too much Tarantino in it.  Other than that I thought it was great. 

Yeah I never thought it was as bad as a lot of people say. Probably middle of the pack from his films for me. Behind Dogs/PF/Jackie/Kill Bill but ahead of like Django and Basterds.

Die Hard. Classic, but it led to an argument when some knuckleheads disagreed with me that it was a Christmas movie. Gtfo.

The Proposition. First time watching this. It was good, I enjoyed it, but didn't think it was some modern western masterpiece like I heard it was.

Knives Out. Not great but not bad. For awhile it did have a bit of an old school whodunit feeling.

Die Hard. Classic, but it led to an argument when some knuckleheads disagreed with me that it was a Christmas movie. Gtfo.

It is absolutely a Christmas movie, 'now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho', the let it snow beginning, the fact that its based on christmas, during a christmas party no less.  Christmas or New Years, I dunno, I forget.  Alan Rickman is the star of that movie to me. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

It is absolutely a Christmas movie, 'now I have a machine gun, ho ho ho', the let it snow beginning, the fact that its based on christmas, during a christmas party no less.  Christmas or New Years, I dunno, I forget.  Alan Rickman is the star of that movie to me. 

Yes thank you. The limo driver even plays that Run DMC Christmas song, "It's Christmas time in Hollis Queens, moms cookin chicken and collard greens"

And Rickman is freaking great in it. Literally every scene he is in he's awesome. From his "American" accent when he first meets Bruce to that look on his face when he's falling to his fiery death.

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 2

Tormented with Richard Carlson It was a 1960 movie.

A movie about a mutant pre-historic alligator. It was on a local Dallas channel

On 1/8/2020 at 3:58 AM, Len Cnut said:

If there was one part I could get rid of in that film its the bit where they start prattling on about Vanishing Point.  It kinda takes me out of the movie again, I can hear too much Tarantino in it.  Other than that I thought it was great.  It feels as if, in Tarantinos head, he's still working in a video store and tryna turn people on to obscure movies.

Yeah, in the beginning when the women are talking. It was too much talking, but Quentin's movies are like that and once the action begins it punches you in the face!

44 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Tormented with Richard Carlson It was a 1960 movie.

A movie about a mutant pre-historic alligator. It was on a local Dallas channel

Yeah, in the beginning when the women are talking. It was too much talking, but Quentin's movies are like that and once the action begins it punches you in the face!

I didn't even mind the women talking early on, there's a certain realism to that, its just when they start going on about films, like in every Tarantino movie, it gets kinda hokey.