"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

31 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

He did a remake of The Big Sleep here - transplanted in England - directed by Winner and starring Joan Collins. 

Yeah I seen it, Oliver Reeds in it.  But this one was filmed in Cobham and its really like...small :lol:  And I meant big as in like...I dunno, people like Mitch' Henry Fonda and Cagney and them, they had this larger than life thing to them...and the context you tend to see them has always been, for me, kinda unrelatable.  Like wild plains of America or this kinda other-worldly film noir setting or whatever...so when you see them in somewhere familiar its sort of like they don't belong and they like...take up a lot of room.  There was a particular scene of him going up this garden path (oo er) to knock on a front door and it just looked so odd, for Mitchum to be doing that, its like a personal response I had upon seeing him.

27 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

Just Mercy- was great. Cant believe how racist America used to be...

I never found the idea unbelievable, don't know why.  I guess my formative impressions of America are based around movies from times when it was massively racist. 

Edited by Len Cnut

On 1/31/2020 at 2:29 PM, DieselDaisy said:

True Grit (1969)

Rooster Cogburn (1975)

I love both but I rather think I prefer the sequel for the chemistry between Hepburn and Wayne. It is the perfect film, a western delivered with great charm and humour. 

Did you see the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges?

On 1/30/2020 at 5:53 AM, Len Cnut said:

Reunion at Fairborough (1985)  Made for TV movie with Robert Mitchum, Deborah Kerr and Red Buttons.  Mitch' and Kerr kinda carry the piece, about a wartime romance between a yank and an English girl and they meet up like 40 years after during a reunion.  Weird seeing Mitchum in England, he almost seems too big for it.

That totally jarred my memory, I had forgotten about this one and how much I liked it.

Did you see the remake of True Grit with Jeff Bridges?

very recently, took me a while cuz I'm an arsehole fundamentalist.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Watched it with my old man, which is ironic cuz I saw the first one when I was 8 on a sunday afternoon with my old man, which is kinda how I got into westerns.

11 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

very recently, took me a while cuz I'm an arsehole fundamentalist.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Watched it with my old man, which is ironic cuz I saw the first one when I was 8 on a sunday afternoon with my old man, which is kinda how I got into westerns.

Cool. Yeah, I thought they did a good job with the remake.  It's been so long since i saw the original,  Kim Darby's character didn't have her arm amputated in the original, correct?

6 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Cool. Yeah, I thought they did a good job with the remake.  It's been so long since i saw the original,  Kim Darby's character didn't have her arm amputated in the original, correct?

She certainly did not, no :lol:  Its still the original for me, I’m very much a traditionalist when it comes to the western though as I say I was pleasantly surprised With the remake though I shouldn’t’ve been, knowing the Cohen Bros.  Rooster Cogburn is John Wayne though and Wayne is such an iconic figure its sacreligious for me to imagine another in his place, though suffice to say that its not his place strictly, not in the sense that Sheriff John T Chance or The Ringo Kid was his place because True Grit was a book before it was ever a movie and I’m led to believe the recent one was in that vein.

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

She certainly did not, no :lol:  Its still the original for me, I’m very much a traditionalist when it comes to the western though as I say I was pleasantly surprised With the remake though I shouldn’t’ve been, knowing the Cohen Bros.  Rooster Cogburn is John Wayne though and Wayne is such an iconic figure its sacreligious for me to imagine another in his place, though suffice to say that its not his place strictly, not in the sense that Sheriff John T Chance or The Ringo Kid was his place because True Grit was a book before it was ever a movie and I’m led to believe the recent one was in that vein.

I can imagine Glen Campbell had to be intimidated in his acting debut with John Wayne.  

4 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

I can imagine Glen Campbell had to be intimidated in his acting debut with John Wayne.  

I’m not sure The Duke was ever that intimidating.  A draft dodger with lifts in his shoes and the roofs of his cars lifted so he could drive whilst wearing a stetson to hide his bald head.  Unless he’d stupidly bought into the shit like someone like me :lol: 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

By all accounts he was a pleasure to work with and very helpful to novice actors, however the well known trick when filming was to get the work done early as he'd be drunk by evening. 

There are as many stories that say he was sober as a judge every morning and ready for shooting, the consummate pro.

Mogambo (1953)

It is a enjoyable film without really going anywhere (it rather lacks an ending) but what makes this film interesting is the production history. Filmed during the Mau Mau Uprising, there was a rumour that the Mau Mau were trying to bump-off Clark Gable who had to be given armed protection - two crew members later turned out to be Mau Mau! Ave Gardner got dysentery. Three crew members died in road accidents! 

On 2/2/2020 at 2:04 AM, Len Cnut said:

There are as many stories that say he was sober as a judge every morning and ready for shooting, the consummate pro.

I think the idea was to get most of the dallies done before evening. He presumably must have ''pulled a cork'' or two (to quote Rooster Cogburn) in his trailer. 

Having completed a film, John Ford would go on a bender for several days.

Edited by DieselDaisy

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

A Kirk Douglas duet in commemoration,

Lonely Are the Brave (1962)

Thats a great film, really unique, he's the wandering out of time cowboy fella in that isn't he?

3 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Last Train from Gun Hill (1959)

I recall a sort of siege scene in that if I'm not mistaken...and someones son getting killed.

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Thats a great film, really unique, he's the wandering out of time cowboy fella in that isn't he?

I recall a sort of siege scene in that if I'm not mistaken...and someones son getting killed.

Lonely are the Brave is an uber masterpiece, Douglas's own personal favourite (of his) films, an eulogy on the cowboy and the pre-urban man (rather Clint territory in some respects); the cinematography is breathtaking. Last Train from Gun Hill is a superior western with Anthony Quinn, which has a certain edginess (rape, mixed-race marriage). 

Edited by DieselDaisy

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Lonely are the Brave is an uber masterpiece, Douglas's own personal favourite (of his) films, an eulogy on the cowboy and the pre-urban man (rather Clint territory in some respects); the cinematography is breathtaking. Last Train from Gun Hill is a superior western with Anthony Quinn, which has a certain edginess (rape, mixed-race marriage). 

THATS IT!  Anthony Quinn plays the Dad of the lad that rapes that woman in woods!  Some tart helps Kirk out during the siege too...I remember a shotgun being involved.

Mitch’ played something similar to Kirks lonely are the brave character in The Lusty Men.

Edited by Len Cnut

10 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

THATS IT!  Anthony Quinn plays the Dad of the lad that rapes that woman in woods!  Some tart helps Kirk out during the siege too...I remember a shotgun being involved.

Mitch’ played something similar to Kirks lonely are the brave character in The Lusty Men.

John Wick rather rips off the storyline from Last Train in some aspects

3 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

John Wick rather rips off the storyline from Last Train in some aspects

I cant really remember John Wick, I was off my tits at the time, all i remember is Keanu Reeves mullering fuckloads of people because of his dog or something, hows that anything like Last Train?

Watch Detective Story and Out of the Past, ESPECIALLY Out of the Past, it is one of the greatest film noirs you will ever see.  Town Without Pity is good too...and DEFINITELY see Man With a Horn i think its called, where he plays the mad saxaphone player.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oddly enough I was introduced to Kirk Douglas by two relatively low key movies later in his career, The Fury(1978) and Eddie Macon's Run(1983). He was solid in both of them.

13 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I cant really remember John Wick, I was off my tits at the time, all i remember is Keanu Reeves mullering fuckloads of people because of his dog or something, hows that anything like Last Train?

I did say ''rather...in some aspects'', but think about this: in both films the head boss is not just some evil guy wanker, and is actually quite likable (more so Quinn's character), but is forced to fight the hero, his respected buddy, because he is defending his idiot son committing some offence against the protagonist. 

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I did say ''rather...in some aspects'', but think about this: in both films the head boss is not just some evil guy wanker, and is actually quite likable (more so Quinn's character), but is forced to fight the hero, his respected buddy, because he is defending his idiot son committing some offence against the protagonist. 

John Wick is what I like to call disposable cinema, snotty little cunt that I am.  You watch it and its alright at the time, entertaining enough but afterwards you sort of don't remember shit.  To be fair my memory of films is fading so badly, I've seen that many in my time that like...I can tell most of the time by the title if I've seen it, or a bit of the story but I'm finding increasingly now that I'll get down to watch shit, be 40 mins in and go 'hang on, I've seen this before!'.

31 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

John Wick is what I like to call disposable cinema, snotty little cunt that I am.  You watch it and its alright at the time, entertaining enough but afterwards you sort of don't remember shit.  To be fair my memory of films is fading so badly, I've seen that many in my time that like...I can tell most of the time by the title if I've seen it, or a bit of the story but I'm finding increasingly now that I'll get down to watch shit, be 40 mins in and go 'hang on, I've seen this before!'.

It isn't a great film or even a particularly good film but one of those that is entertaining in a modern day example of ''leave your brain at the door manner'' - why the heck are we discussing sodden John Wick when we could be discussing John Wayne? Just bought this for a tenner,

mm00161118.jpg?width=1200

5 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It isn't a great film or even a particularly good film but one of those that is entertaining in a modern day example of ''leave your brain at the door manner'' - why the heck are we discussing sodden John Wick when we could be discussing John Wayne? Just bought this for a tenner,

mm00161118.jpg?width=1200

Liberty Valance, The Shootist, El Dorado, The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit, Hondo, Rio Lobo, Big Jake, McLintock...rated in order of good-ness.  I have an inordinate fondness for Hondo for some odd reason.  I didn't think westerns were so much your thing.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Liberty Valance, The Shootist, El Dorado, The Sons of Katie Elder, True Grit, Hondo, Rio Lobo, Big Jake, McLintock...rated in order of good-ness.  I have an inordinate fondness for Hondo for some odd reason.  I didn't think westerns were so much your thing.

I grew up on westerns, albeit more revisionist/Clint ones such as the Dollars trilogy and Josey Wales, however it is rather impossible to be a fan of cinema of a certain vintage and ignore the (old school) western genre so these films have been ubiquitous.