Jump to content
Black Sabbath

"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2019 Edition

Recommended Posts

On 12/9/2019 at 5:18 AM, soon said:

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Never been my fave, still aint. Theres so many effects that have aged poorly - some looking like they are from the 1950s. Luke is quite the Mary Sue. Lando's security guy is hilarious. 

Actually this is favorite Star Wars episode. Still love the original three the best.

On 12/9/2019 at 5:45 PM, ChineseDemocracy2004 said:

Finally watched Terminator Dark Fate.

Much better than Genysis.

Pre ordered the dvd. I loved Ready or Not. Saw it in the movie theatre. I thought it was funny and gory and the storyline was different for a change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Actually this is favorite Star Wars episode. Still love the original three the best.

Not you too? :lol:

Agreed on New Hope and Return of the Jedi though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Auf der anderen Seite (2007)

Triumph des Willens (1935) and Der Sieg des Glaubens (1933)

It is often forgotten that Triumph of the Will wasn't Riefenstahl's first Nuremberg Rally film. She proceeded it with the aforementioned The Victory of Faith. Both similar films - even the slow motion shots of the city waking up (and the cat) are in the earlier film. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The woman in black 2

It sucked.

Selfies from Hell

This sucked too. Made no sense. It was on cable.

On 12/12/2019 at 1:03 PM, soon said:

Not you too? :lol:

Agreed on New Hope and Return of the Jedi though.

Yeah, I loved Han and Princess Leia' love storyl lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fatso (1980)  Dom Deluise, Anne Bancroft, Ron Carey.   There's a classic scene in this movie where his friends from Chubby Checkers(a weight loss support group) go on a food binge.  Hilarious stuff.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Yeah, I loved Han and Princess Leia' love storyl lol

Well, that is the best part, along with the snow planet base. Leia/Fisher carried that film imho.

The Yoda in Empire Strikes Back is so different from other Yoda appearances in the original films and beyond. Its a curious thing. I guess maybe he went a little loopy while hiding out all those years? lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once Upon a time in Hollywood

Loved this movie. Quentin has done it again. Loved the chemistry between Brad and Leo. amazing. 

I only wish the ending were true instead of the real one. Just enjoyed watching this movie so much. Loved seeing Q's usual gang, except I did miss Sam Jackson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthropoid (2016)

Superb Anglo-Czech film about the assassination of Heydrich and subsequent aftermath. Really historically accurate - filmed all in Prague, and where possible at the actual locations. More poignant for me watching this as I have recently visited the final location, the Church of Cyril and Methodius where the patriots hid and were finally cornered by the Gestapo and SS. I wish I'd seen this film prior as I didn't realise how many Germans were taken out by these brave men. It explained to me various bits of the place I visited, bullet holes around this specific window, etc etc.  

5/5 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stiff Competition said:

Saw Uncut Gems over the weekend. It is superb. The Sandman gets to really show off his acting chops.

That's what I've read, even Daniel Day-Lewis called Sandler to compliment him on his performance. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Utter dogshit.

Ghostbusters I and II

It is quite unprecedented to see the merging of horror - genuine horror as they were not afraid to scare kids in the 1980s - with comedy and do it so seamlessly, and the FX are so much better than the cgi rubbish in films now. The sharp New York humour in these films gives them their snappiness, especially Murray's performances. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Ghostbusters I and II

It is quite unprecedented to see the merging of horror - genuine horror as they were not afraid to scare kids in the 1980s - with comedy and do it so seamlessly, and the FX are so much better than the cgi rubbish in films now. The sharp New York humour in these films gives them their snappiness, especially Murray's performances. 

The original Ghostbusters is still one of my all time favourite films to this day. Scared the crap out of my then 5 year old self in the Odeon in Middlesbrough at the time. :lol: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FX's A Christmas Carol with Guy Pierce.

It was very good. It's also a very dark Christmas Carol tale very different from any other movie.  I honestly think this made it more believable at just how terrible Scrooge was and not just a miser who made his employee work on Christmas day. This went very deep into Scrooge's childhood and how rotten he could be. It's over 3 hours, so I recommend dvring it to speed up the commercials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Mule (2018)

Nice heartfelt crime-drama, Clint Eastwood directing/starring. I think ''Earl'' is actually one of Clint's greatest characters. ''Homespun'' American friendly ''old timer'', more affable than more well known performances yet still unmistakably Clint.

Ghostbusters (2016)

FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im Juli (2000)

German-Turkish Romantic-comedy road movie. Very good. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shazam and MIB International

both movies were on cable. Pretty good, but both movies were too long.

I bought the dvds to the CBS access series "Tell me a story". So very good. it's a ten part series. I have 3 more shows to go, but it's very good. A dark version of 3 Fairy tales. The new season began with 3 new fairy tales. I'm sure it'll be just as good. Have to wait for those dvds to be released.

On 12/22/2019 at 6:13 PM, F*ck Fear said:

Brightburn

It was an interesting little horror film.

This movie is on cable this weekend. I do want to see this one too. Seemed different and scary, which I totally love.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Shazam and MIB International

both movies were on cable. Pretty good, but both movies were too long.

I bought the dvds to the CBS access series "Tell me a story". So very good. it's a ten part series. I have 3 more shows to go, but it's very good. A dark version of 3 Fairy tales. The new season began with 3 new fairy tales. I'm sure it'll be just as good. Have to wait for those dvds to be released.

This movie is on cable this weekend. I do want to see this one too. Seemed different and scary, which I totally love.

It's basically a horror version of 'Man Of Steel', and it's nicely done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Rover - pretty good Guy Pearce performance. Minimal and effective

Predestination - a cool little sci fi movie with Ethan Hawk

August: Osage County - heavy but great with a stellar cast based on a play. Meryl Streep's performance is pitch perfect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Irishman was okay but I know I’ll watch it again. 

Once Upon a time in Hollywood was good the first time but then I watched it again and it was better. Maybe I just got into that mode but every scene is like movie porn. The car driving parts are great. Half way through I was thinking it’s a tour de force. Every scene just oozes some weird nostalgia for movies. 

The idea that OldHollywood saves New Hollywood and secures it’s future is pure Tarantino. That’s all he wants to say. He wants to be Cliff Boon more than Brad Pitt. But it’s pro Hollywood.  

Kind of connected back to the Pulp trilogy. But it’s like a Casino not a Goodfellas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Could you ever forgive me" with Melissa M.

Pretty good story. 

22 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

It's basically a horror version of 'Man Of Steel', and it's nicely done.

Yeah, I liked "Man of Steel". Yeah that's what the previews looked like. Well, not all super people are good! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Blues Brothers (1980)

Under the Skin (2013)

Cronenbergesque, probably one of the weirder films I have seen, it basically consists of Scarlett Johansson going around Glasgow in a white van picking up neds and luring them to her house where they mysteriously disappear into water. 

The Shape of Water (2017)

Amphibian nonsense. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whiplash (2014)

Great Flick. Dont like Jazz, but it was interesting here. Just a good drama about 2 people. A good movie doesnt need more characters. JK Simmons' best role. Its actually a shame it took so long to give him such a role, because he played a similar character in Spiderman.

The movie could have been a bit more intense and the ending, however i liked it, could have been more enthusiastic if they would have used the audience, too. Not quite my tempo...but still...

4 of 5 stars. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20.12.2019 at 11:18 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Utter dogshit.

Ghostbusters I and II

It is quite unprecedented to see the merging of horror - genuine horror as they were not afraid to scare kids in the 1980s - with comedy and do it so seamlessly, and the FX are so much better than the cgi rubbish in films now. The sharp New York humour in these films gives them their snappiness, especially Murray's performances. 

Why do you even watch this cgi shit fest, Diesel? To this date Terminator 2 had the best balance between cgi and real effects. 

The last cgi movies i really liked were Logan and Blade Runner 2049. Its just disgusting to watch a movie Like Indy 4, where the while flick was Made in a Universal Studio. Stop supporting this shit with buying these movies in any form.

And yeah, the Ghostbusters 1 cgi is still better and scarier than cgi in 2019. Both movies were cool. What was the last comedy flick which was funny? I can't even remember...what the fuck happened with the gag writers in Hollywood ? 

Edited by Creed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rambo The Last Stand

This movie rocked! Sly at his best. Great acting and tons of gory killings! Loved it!

Tone Deaf A movie on cable with Robert Patrick as a psycho killer. Pretty good.

12 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The Blues Brothers (1980)

Under the Skin (2013)

Cronenbergesque, probably one of the weirder films I have seen, it basically consists of Scarlett Johansson going around Glasgow in a white van picking up neds and luring them to her house where they mysteriously disappear into water. 

The Shape of Water (2017)

Amphibian nonsense. 

I loved The Shape Of Water yeah it had a fish man, but the movie showed so much more of human nature. Both good and evil. It made me laugh and cry and scream!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×