"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

14 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Rita Tushingham, shes in a great Oliver Reed film too where he plays a mountain man.

I went and saw that up the west end a few months back, really good production.  I love Loach.  Had a chance to meet him recently but I don’t really go in for all that.

I remember a good comment by you on how the working man probably didn't like to watch these type of films much, how he preferred stuff like Rambo and Predator. In those days it was probably John Wayne, heroic war films and British imperial epics. A middle class conceit then? Somewhat condescending perhaps? (I am just throwing these arguments out there without really subscribing). I wonder if they appealed more to working class women, given the prevalence of strong feminine characters and themes about abortion and such like.

Blokes just want a good gun battle really.

17 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I remember a good comment by you on how the working man probably didn't like to watch these type of films much, how he preferred stuff like Rambo and Predator. 

Truth! Though I have to say having watched some of the more modern offerings they do lack a lot of the charm of say your average 80's actionfest.

Edited by Dazey

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I remember a good comment by you on how the working man probably didn't like to watch these type of films much, how he preferred stuff like Rambo and Predator. In those days it was probably John Wayne, heroic war films and British imperial epics. A middle class conceit then? Somewhat condescending perhaps? (I am just throwing these arguments out there without really subscribing). I wonder if they appealed more to working class women, given the prevalence of strong feminine characters and themes about abortion and such like.

Really and truly its generally the same leftist intelligensia that today are so derided, or rather an equivalent thereof, that came up with these kinds of movies, they really are, as you say, a middle class conceit really.  Patronising too if you look at it a certain way.  Indian cinema is a great example of this, now Indian cinema has and has had its own little artsy niches, to varying degrees of popularity, with parrallel cinema etc, for decades but its never really enjoyed a great deal of popularity because the core audience for Indian cinema traditionally has been the poor unwashed masses who, if they want social realism, only need to stick their head out of the window, movies for them are pure escapism, its why they are these all singing all dancing extravaganzas with very little regard for realism or even plausibility.  

And I think the same applies for the vast majority of the world and its foolhardy to think that art is a primary concern of the people who guide the processes of cinema.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Really and truly its generally the same leftist intelligensia that today are so derided, or rather an equivalent thereof, that came up with these kinds of movies, they really are, as you say, a middle class conceit really.  Patronising too if you look at it a certain way.  Indian cinema is a great example of this, now Indian cinema has and has had its own little artsy niches, to varying degrees of popularity, with parrallel cinema etc, for decades but its never really enjoyed a great deal of popularity because the core audience for Indian cinema traditionally has been the poor unwashed masses who, if they want social realism, only need to stick their head out of the window, movies for them are pure escapism, its why they are these all singing all dancing extravaganzas with very little regard for realism or even plausibility.  

And I think the same applies for the vast majority of the world and its foolhardy to think that art is a primary concern of the people who guide the processes of cinema.

Goebbels actually understood the power of cinema in this regard. He knew the general populous did not want to be hectored - or feeling that they're being hectored - with a heady cocktail of politicking and militarism, and knew they would want their sentimental and historic romances, comedies and dramas as they had always watched. He did not like overt propaganda exercises like Triumph of the Will or The Eternal Jew.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Goebbels actually understood the power of cinema in this regard. He knew the general populous did not want to be hectored - or feeling that they're being hectored - with a heady cocktail of politicking and militarism, and knew they would want their sentimental and historic romances, comedies and dramas as they had always watched. He did not like overt propaganda exercises like Triumph of the Will or The Eternal Jew.

On the other hand though, I’m working class and I enjoy that shit.  I suppose the point is that I’m in the minority.  I have a middle class education too I suppose.  There’s only really two kinds of education, upper and middle...and since education amongst the working classes became more prevalent post war I suppose you get a certain cross section that are prey to the aforementioned conceits.  

I struggle with it all if I’m honest, I’m not sure where I should hang my hat regarding it all.  

23 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Born Losers (1967) Tom Laughlin was still in the process of perfecting the Billy Jack character. Kind of corny but a cool prelude to the subsequent classic movies.

My mom saw the "Billy Jack" movie back in the 70's. Her and her friends didn't know what this movie was about, but they all loved it. she also saw the other two Billy Jack films. Tom died a few years ago. His wife and daughter were in the BJ movies too. Very awesome storylines for the time and still important today too.

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Best Horror movie in a long time in my opinion

I think a Conjuring 3 is being made or has been made? Not sure. But yeah, a great scary movie. I liked the second one too.

Also the movies with that damn doll, Annabelle.

23 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Since other than going to work which is deemed essential, I stay home so I killed time by watching 'Terminator: Dark Fate'.

Trash.

I liked it. Thought some of the fight scenes were too long, but all in all I enjoyed watching it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Rita Tushingham, shes in a great Oliver Reed film too where he plays a mountain man.

I went and saw that up the west end a few months back, really good production.  I love Loach.  Had a chance to meet him recently but I don’t really go in for all that.

One of my mom's favorite movies as a kid was "The Curse of the werewolf" with Oliver Reed. I think it was one of his first movies. He went on to star in so many great movies before he passed away.

4 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My mom saw the "Billy Jack" movie back in the 70's. Her and her friends didn't know what this movie was about, but they all loved it. she also saw the other two Billy Jack films. Tom died a few years ago. His wife and daughter were in the BJ movies too. Very awesome storylines for the time and still important today too.

I think a Conjuring 3 is being made or has been made? Not sure. But yeah, a great scary movie. I liked the second one too.

I liked it. Thought some of the fight scenes were too long, but all in all I enjoyed watching it.

No doubt, love me some Billy Jack.😄 Tom Laughlin was great, he was a true DIY filmmaker.  He did everything from writing, directing, acting, and producing. Hell, he was even heavily involved in distribution, he would rent out theaters and oversee ticketing. Billy Jack was really a labor of love for him and his family. 

10 hours ago, Angelica said:

This fun song from this fun movie is still fun and I don’t know where else to post it, sorry. 

Just watched this a week or so ago. Still as funny as it was 10 years ago.

57 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

To be honest I think Dark Fate was worse than T3.  

I honestly can not choose which of the sequels I like the least

T3, Salvation, Genysis or Dark Fate.

They're all pretty terrible.

Edited by F*ck Fear
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

I liked the second Conjuring too but the Annabelle movies are on a lower level IMO. I haven't watched Annabelle 3 though.

But yeah, the third Conjuring is in the making but I don't think it will be as good as part one and two either, simply because James Wan isn't the director anymore. The Nun was ok and I'm wondering if they'll do a Crooked Man spin-off. That could be quite interesting. 

Edited by Free Bird

35 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

I honestly can not choose which of the sequels I like the least

T3, Salvation, Genysis or Dark Fate.

They're all pretty terrible.

I think Dark Fate is easily the shittiest of the sequels despite having a fairly decent opening.

Salvation is probably next shittiest with its only saving grace being Christian Bale.

T3 also has a solid opening and still late prime period Arnie but a shitty John Connor. 

Genisys has a shitty Kyle Reese, but other than that I’ve rather grown to like this film. Easily the best casting for John since T2 and I enjoyed the twist of him becoming a Terminator. Was actually hoping Dark Fate would continue with this plot twist instead.

Edited by AxlsMainMan
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, Free Bird said:

I liked the second Conjuring too but the Annabelle movies are on a lower level IMO. I haven't watched Annabelle 3 though.

But yeah, the third Conjuring is in the making but I don't think it will be as good as part one and two either, simply because James Wan isn't the director anymore. The Nun was ok and I'm wondering if they'll do a Crooked Man spin-off. That could be quite interesting. 

Oh I didn't know James wasn't involved. Yeah, the man is awesome. 

I thought the Nun would be better, but it was okay. She was scary, but the whole storyline was confusing to me. Not sure why the nun would let out a demon in the opening scene. Anyway, I guess we'll see. I did love the way James combined the Nun ending with the Conjuring movie. That was cool. I think the Nun could have been so much better.

Didn't James direct Aquaman too? The filming was beautiful, but the storyline too long and not as exciting as the other super hero movies. If not for Jason Momoa I wouldn't have bothered to see it at all.

On 4/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, Free Bird said:

I saw a movie about the Crooked Man on SyFy and it wasn't bad. I think remaking it into a R rated movie with tons of gore would be so much better. lol

Reminds me of the Slender Man, which I still don't know what the hell was going on in that movie? Glad I wait until some movies come on cable and don't go to the theatre. lol

5 hours ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Oh I didn't know James wasn't involved. Yeah, the man is awesome. 

I thought the Nun would be better, but it was okay. She was scary, but the whole storyline was confusing to me. Not sure why the nun would let out a demon in the opening scene. Anyway, I guess we'll see. I did love the way James combined the Nun ending with the Conjuring movie. That was cool. I think the Nun could have been so much better.

Didn't James direct Aquaman too? The filming was beautiful, but the storyline too long and not as exciting as the other super hero movies. If not for Jason Momoa I wouldn't have bothered to see it at all.

I saw a movie about the Crooked Man on SyFy and it wasn't bad. I think remaking it into a R rated movie with tons of gore would be so much better. lol

Reminds me of the Slender Man, which I still don't know what the hell was going on in that movie? Glad I wait until some movies come on cable and don't go to the theatre. lol

I feel very similar. Slender Man was dissapointing and the Nun could have been better

James Wan is still involved in the upcoming movies but only as the producer. I still think that will be a big let down.

Nobody's out there who creates horror movies like him.

Edited by Free Bird

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I can't, not whilst I'm feeling satanic :lol: 

Ironically during the current situation you're also an absentee landlord. :lol: 

Edited by Dazey

17 hours ago, Dazey said:

Go to bed you 'orrible cunt! :lol: 

Love Hellraiser

I met Pin Head at a Texas Frightmare many years ago. He was pissed because they wouldn't let him drink liquor at the festival. Anyway, he was pretty nice. He wrote on my picture "see you in hell" lol

Candy Man was a very good movie. Met Tony Todd too. He's super tall. He was very nice. Talked about how he has done Shakespear. Which was cool, but this was a horror festival and we wanted to talk about Candy Man. Keenan Peele has a new version of Candy Man, but I guess it'll be pushed back a bit. The previews looked very good.

This weekend would have been the Texas Frightmare, but it's been pushed back until September. Not sure if it'll happen. Alice Cooper and Clive Barker were supposed to attend. I've met so many cool actors and actresses as well as writers, producers and directors at these events. So many fans come from all over the country to attend. Hope it can continue.

20 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I feel very similar. Slender Man was dissapointing and the Nun could have been better

James Wan is still involved in the upcoming movies but only as the producer. I still think that will be a big let down.

Nobody's out there who creates horror movies like him.

I know James Wan is amazing. I've seen some cool horror movies done by Blumehouse. They are up and coming horror guys too.

I just hope James doesn't give up on horror movies. We need more directors and producers like him.

I know I do wish someone would come up with some horror theme that no one has thought of. 

I read years ago that Slash was going to produce some new horror movies, but one that he did produce, forgot the name, it was on cable and the plot or horror stuff wasn't anything new.

Guess Slash gave up on that too.