"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I must add I'm a massive Michael Caine fan (my favourite British actor along side Oliver Reed and Sir Larry) and a pretty big Ray Winstone one too so that film would have to be some proper shitbag for me to dislike it. 

My mom loved Oliver Reed.

He was in one of her favorite movies called "The curse of the werewolf". Also she loved him in the 70's version of the Three Musketeers.

My mom thought he was super sexy.

And she also liked Ray Winston because he was Red Scarlette in the Adventures of Robin Hood with Michael Praed, who she also loves!

58 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My mom loved Oliver Reed.

He was in one of her favorite movies called "The curse of the werewolf". Also she loved him in the 70's version of the Three Musketeers.

My mom thought he was super sexy.

And she also liked Ray Winston because he was Red Scarlette in the Adventures of Robin Hood with Michael Praed, who she also loves!

Literally everything I like your Mum liked :lol:  Tell me, was Oliver very well known in America?  

On 2/3/2019 at 2:39 PM, MillionsOfSpiders said:

How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. 

I think there were advance screenings this past weekend, I missed them. Looking forward to seeing it though. I'm 48 and my kids are grown, but I really dig Toothless. Could see myself with a tattoo of him.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

I think there were advance screenings this past weekend, I missed them. Looking forward to seeing it though. I'm 48 and my kids are grown, but I really dig Toothless. Could see myself with a tattoo of him.

It’s been out in the UK for a few days now. I took my two kids to see it but I would’ve gone by myself anyway if I didn’t have any  :lol: 

I love Toothless as well. I read the two guys who created his character and design   for the movies are the same people who created Stitch from Lilo and Stitch. They’re my two favourite animated movie characters. 

The film is fantastic and a great ending for the trilogy. 

Saving Private Ryan

It's simply not as good as I remember it. Full of cliches (the New York Italio-basebally working class GI; the Alabama god fearing GI). Full of flag weaving schmaltz. Full of terrible history (SS with 1980s ''neo-Nazi'' crew cuts!). Some snidey remarks about Montgomery courtesy of that chap from Cheers caps it all off. Crap. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Saving Private Ryan

It's simply not as good as I remember it. Full of cliches (the New York Italio-basebally working class GI; the Alabama god fearing GI). Full of flag weaving schmaltz. Full of terrible history (SS with 1980s ''neo-Nazi'' crew cuts!). Some snidey remarks about Montgomery courtesy of that chap from Cheers caps it all off. Crap. 

Do you feel it has to be historically accurate to be a good film?

10 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Do you feel it has to be historically accurate to be a good film?

If it has such pretensions.

The Das Reich division attacked the British (and in July - this film ends on June 13th as seen on the gravestone of Hanks's character), the people this film is so keen to degenerate. No Panzers attacked the Americans in fact. It is all absolute bollocks. 

PS

The ending makes absolutely no sense. A P51 Mustang, a fighter, arrives and blows up the tank! Now some Mustangs were equipped with bombs but this doesn't have a bomb carriage! So how does the tank blow up?

Further on the haircuts this is so annoying. If you look back on any photo of somebody in world war two, none of them had shaven heads, ''buzz cuts''.

Edited by DieselDaisy

As long as I’ve been on this board (something embarrassing like 14 years), I’ve periodically pimped this movie. I saw it when I was a kid. We’re still ride or die. It’s hokey but it’s also magical and a marvel of cinematography and art direction. And Ry Cooder’s score! Oh, and it also stars a nineteen year old Diane Lane, if that sways you any...

Edited by Angelica
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Len Cnut have you seen 'The Warriors'? I'm gonna watch it for the first time even though it seems a bit dated.

I've not no but people have been reccomending the fuck out of it to me for years, its kinda big in a cult way but its one of those movies thats just escaped me for some odd reason.  Now that you mention it I must get around to watching Once We Were Warriors or whatever the name of that film you reccomended me about the Maouris was, that actually sounded quite interesting.

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I've not no but people have been reccomending the fuck out of it to me for years, its kinda big in a cult way but its one of those movies thats just escaped me for some odd reason.  Now that you mention it I must get around to watching Once We Were Warriors or whatever the name of that film you reccomended me about the Maouris was, that actually sounded quite interesting.

...the fuck haven’t you ever seen The Warriors!?

10 minutes ago, Angelica said:

...the fuck haven’t you ever seen The Warriors!?

Never.  Weird innit?  I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before too.  Is it actually any good?  i mean properly good, not kitsch value good.  if it is I'll watch it.

Edited by Len Cnut

19 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Never.  Weird innit?  I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation before too.  Is it actually any good?  i mean properly good, not kitsch value good.  if it is I'll watch it.

It’s a considerable artifact of cinema, whether you consider it ‘good good’ or ‘kitsch value good’.

Pretty much the only respected critic in 1979 who gave it it’s due was Kael, though it’s virtues have been widely reconsidered since then. That alone should make it worth your while. IIRC, it’s hugely flawed but electric, as most of Walter Hill’s output was, including my beloved Streets of Fire.

Edited by Angelica

8 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The Warriors is one of my mom's all time favorite movies too. So I love it too. She lived in NYC when they were filming the movie in 1978. My mom took many of the trains in that movie and saw many of the same scenes. Very cool memories.

One of the best movies made back then. I think it still holds up now, but some of the shit that Ajax says, would be a no no now. lol

I watched the 3 mini movies that are on the new the Grinch movie. So cute seeing those little minions. I love them.

8 hours ago, Angelica said:

It’s a considerable artifact of cinema, whether you consider it ‘good good’ or ‘kitsch value good’.

Pretty much the only respected critic in 1979 who gave it it’s due was Kael, though it’s virtues have been widely reconsidered since then. That alone should make it worth your while. IIRC, it’s hugely flawed but electric, as most of Walter Hill’s output was, including my beloved Streets of Fire.

Oh boy. Love Streets of Fire too. Such a cool movie. Loved the music too.

The Prodigy

Saw it today in the theatre.

Not bad, but a predicable ending.

15 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

'Get Smart'(Steve Carrell version)

I loved the TV show as a kid and this reboot does it no justice. They should have called it 'Get Shit'

0/5

My mom loved the show. Not a fan of Steve C. so I've never seen this version and neither has my mom. She doesn't like Steve C either. lol

'Fury'

Only the second war based film I've watched. I didn't mind it, but not the best film I've ever seen.

'The Equalizer'

This type of shit is right up my alley. Love some vigilante shit.

Also, one of the better ones in the genre, imo.

'Sweet Virginia'

I quite liked this film. I'm used to Bernthal playing a 'tough guy', but I think he did an excellent job on this.

Edited by F*ck Fear

13 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

'Fury'

Only the second war based film I've watched. I didn't mind it, but not the best film I've ever seen.

'The Equalizer'

This type of shit is right up my alley. Love some vigilante shit.

Also, one of the better ones in the genre, imo.

'Sweet Virginia'

I quite liked this film. I'm used to Bernthal playing a 'tough guy', but I think he did an excellent job on this.

Loved the Equalizer with Denzel. Can't wait to see the sequel. So loved Denzel taking on the Russian mob! lol It should be so easy in real life!

Is "Fury" the one with Brad Pitt and the army tank? Saw it and liked it too.