"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

43 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Is it good? I haven't seen it.

I watched it years ago but what I mostly remembered from it were the comedy moments, but this time I found it to be more powerful because it gives some insight into the rise of nationalism in Germany today. It's an interesting mix of both fiction and non fiction.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I watched it years ago but what I mostly remembered from it were the comedy moments, but this time I found it to be more powerful because it gives some insight in the rise of nationalism in Germany today. It's an interesting mix of both fiction and non fiction.

I am reasonably clued-up on German film-making but this has seemingly passed me by.

1 minute ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am reasonably clued-up on German film-making but this has seemingly passed me by.

I read about it years ago and downloaded it because the concept of Hitler being alive all of a sudden in 2014 and having to deal with the 21st century is so ridiculous that it has to be funny. I watched it on TV now, I think it was the first time it was on TV over here.

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Inglorious Bastards (2009) first time I've seen it since 2009.  Its actually an alright film.  Dialogue lets it down.

It is the only film I like of his post his '90s crime trilogy. 

The opening (spaghetti western) homage, and the cellar scene contain some of Tarantino's best writing. There are also a lot of references to that particular period of European cinema (let's say, pre-second world war) which cannot be missed by fans of that era of cinema, Goebbels talking with the great German actor Emil Jannings during the premier, and the citation of the film Piz Palü starring Riefenstahl, and great filmmaker GW Pabst. Then there is the Sabotage/film stock sequence, and the scene with Mike Myers which is basically a homage to British war films of a certain vintage, all stiff upper lip and understatement.

Edited by DieselDaisy
Second paragraph added.

On 24/02/2020 at 11:19 PM, lame ass security said:

I didn't even know they had remade Papillon, the original is fantastic.

Nor did I.  Charlie Hunnum in place of Steve McQueen.  Thats like replacing a Patek Phillippe with one of those Snap Crackle and Pop watches you used to have to save tokens off the Rice Krispies packets and then send off for.

• Haha 2